F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Hi Guy's- coding question?

11-16-2016, 07:54 PM   #1
sabeo.m
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i M-Sport

Hi Guy's- coding question?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hello everyone, new member here- I'm on various other bmw and Porsche forums, but a newbie here. I have a f32 435i which i have been doing all the popular codes to- my question is- what sensitivity level should i be choosing on the low beams so that they don't come on until late in the evening and the sun has set? I hate driving home from work at 4pm and have them turn on automatically. I coded them to in-sensitive not sure to have coded them to sensitive... appreciate the help! Cheers!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 02:59 AM   #2
Almaretto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Coded '16 F10/F15 MSport

I have mine coded in insensitive and they do not come on too early anymore.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 03:53 AM   #3
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabeo.m View Post
Hello everyone, new member here- I'm on various other bmw and Porsche forums, but a newbie here. I have a f32 435i which i have been doing all the popular codes to- my question is- what sensitivity level should i be choosing on the low beams so that they don't come on until late in the evening and the sun has set? I hate driving home from work at 4pm and have them turn on automatically. I coded them to in-sensitive not sure to have coded them to sensitive... appreciate the help! Cheers!
Out of curiosity, why does this bother you?

From a safety standpoint it's much better to make sure other drivers see you when the sun is low on horizon. With all the idiot drivers on the road on their smartphones, I'll take every advantage I can get! Especially in Chicago with multiple shootings everyday!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 11:07 AM   #4
sabeo.m
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Out of curiosity, why does this bother you?

From a safety standpoint it's much better to make sure other drivers see you when the sun is low on horizon. With all the idiot drivers on the road on their smartphones, I'll take every advantage I can get! Especially in Chicago with multiple shootings everyday!
first off- i see your point as to others drivers being able to see you when the sun is setting and dusk is approaching, but I don't live nor drive through the west or south sides of Chicago, so i'm not not worried about getting shot!

but if i lived in Florida- I would be worried about not looking like a local as to forgetting to bring my socks and sandals and a refreshing can of Mountain Dew.

and to answer your question, it really doesn't bother me... but if i can change the setting like many others have than why not? low beams come on way to quickly- very unnecessary during the day with sun up.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
sabeo.m
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almaretto View Post
Thanks for the reply, i"ll keep them coded to insensitive.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 12:25 PM   #6
Almaretto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, i"ll keep them coded to insensitive.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 04:24 AM   #7
Kabrich
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport

Quote:
first off- i see your point as to others drivers being able to see you when the sun is setting and dusk is approaching, but I don't live nor drive through the west or south sides of Chicago, so i'm not not worried about getting shot!

but if i lived in Florida- I would be worried about not looking like a local as to forgetting to bring my socks and sandals and a refreshing can of Mountain Dew.

and to answer your question, it really doesn't bother me... but if i can change the setting like many others have than why not? low beams come on way to quickly- very unnecessary during the day with sun up.
Mountain Dew is NC, SC, Georgia, Alabama and North Florida....aka South Georgia
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 08:41 PM   #8
sabeo.m
Registered
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Mountain Dew is NC, SC, Georgia, Alabama and North Florida....aka South Georgia
LOL
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 12:51 PM   #9
*****JJL*****
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 335d msport

Hi all, also new here. Sorry if I am stealing this post but I am not allowed to create my own once yet.
Recently bought 335d and would like to code few things on the car, mirrors, lights etc.. dealer I bought the car from chose the easiest line and just said "can`t be done".
Is there anyone here from Birmingham/Dudley/Wednesbury area who can help with coding few things on my car ? also may be a bit of a lame question but coding will not void my warranty ? Bought the car as used approved. Thank you in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 03:20 PM   #10
Almaretto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by *****JJL***** View Post
Hi all, also new here. Sorry if I am stealing this post but I am not allowed to create my own once yet.
Recently bought 335d and would like to code few things on the car, mirrors, lights etc.. dealer I bought the car from chose the easiest line and just said "can`t be done".
Dealers neither have software or knowledge to code.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2017, 11:39 PM   #11
Billfitz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Quote:
Dealers neither have software or knowledge to code.
They could if they wanted to, so some must. I imagine most don't want to be bothered, and we wouldn't want to pay what they'd want to charge anyway.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 01:10 AM   #12
Almaretto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
They could if they wanted to, so some must. I imagine most don't want to be bothered, and we wouldn't want to pay what they'd want to charge anyway.
I do not think they want the legal hassle.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 07:10 AM   #13
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
United_States
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport ->M6

Garage List
2016 BMW 435ix  [0.00]
I live in PA, 2015 435ix F32, have never touched the sensitivity setting, & my lights do not come on at 4PM?????

Only time they would come on at that time is if I am in a tunnel, or it is very dark for that time of day due to storm...
F32 435ix//Mineral Gray Metallic//Black Dakota Leather//Alum Blade Trim//M Sport Pkg//Prem Pkg//Tech Pkg//Driver Assist Pkg//Lighting Pkg//Cold Weather Pkg//Dyn Handling Pkg//HK Sound+BavSound Stg2//437M Wheels//M4 Mirrors w/NWC CF Covers//MPerf Pedals-CF Rear Spoiler-LED Sills-CF Shift Knob/Surround/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//CF Side Grilles//MPE w/CF Tips+CGP VSC-1//Dinan CF Intake//AA FMIC//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/DV+//AA OBD Flash Tune Stg2
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 08:54 AM   #14
Billfitz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
my lights do not come on at 4PM?????
What about in January?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2017, 09:43 AM   #15
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
What about in January?
Mebbe around 4:30pm, but that is fine as it is completely dark @ 5pm
F32 435ix//Mineral Gray Metallic//Black Dakota Leather//Alum Blade Trim//M Sport Pkg//Prem Pkg//Tech Pkg//Driver Assist Pkg//Lighting Pkg//Cold Weather Pkg//Dyn Handling Pkg//HK Sound+BavSound Stg2//437M Wheels//M4 Mirrors w/NWC CF Covers//MPerf Pedals-CF Rear Spoiler-LED Sills-CF Shift Knob/Surround/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//CF Side Grilles//MPE w/CF Tips+CGP VSC-1//Dinan CF Intake//AA FMIC//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/DV+//AA OBD Flash Tune Stg2
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 02:53 AM   #16
*****JJL*****
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 335d msport

has anyone every used carly for coding ? I have been looking into it and you can apparently code most of things we are talking about. Would you know if you need the full version of the software which costs 43 or would the demo version suffice ?
Another thing is that I have seen some posts saying that certain things like rear lights stopped working after using this kit? Anyone had any experience with carly obd2 and carly app ?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2017, 04:15 AM   #17
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2016 BMW 435ix  [0.00]
Quote:
has anyone every used carly for coding ? I have been looking into it and you can apparently code most of things we are talking about. Would you know if you need the full version of the software which costs 43 or would the demo version suffice ?
Another thing is that I have seen some posts saying that certain things like rear lights stopped working after using this kit? Anyone had any experience with carly obd2 and carly app ?
A lot of people use Carly, I've had it since my E92 days from 2009 & up, just got the new OBDII Gen dongle for my F32.

It will easily code most of the little niceties that most people want.

No, you have to buy the full blown version of the app to be able to do anything - only thing the free version does is allow you to connect to car & check out things you CAN do once you buy full version.

Even after that, if you want to do Battery Registration, or iDrive coding - these are both separate modules you must pay xtra $15/ea for in the app. Once you buy them they are yours for life...

I have heard people complaining that using it somehow 'damaged' their car - personally, I have been using it since 2009 & have never seen any problems.

I also used to use INPA/NCSExpert/NettoDat coding on my E92, Carly is much more user friendly with no real learning curve, does not require a cable, any Android or Apple device can run it, once purchased it can be loaded on multiple devices (I have on my phone & tablets), and there is no complicated software download/install

I didn't even bother buying a new cable or loading the new software for F3x series, just bought the new Carly Gen dongle for my F32 - it does everything I ever need to code

If you go to their website there is a section that details everything you can code using Carly
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 11:49 AM   #18
Hypermile
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

Quote:
Does this effect how the rain sensor works?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 12:44 PM   #19
Almaretto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post
Does this effect how the rain sensor works?
Yes. That is the whole point.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 12:59 PM   #20
Hypermile
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d xDrive M-S M-P

Quote:
Yes. That is the whole point.
So...the rain sensor for windshield wiper become less sensitive as well? That sucks, no?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2017, 01:11 PM   #21
Almaretto
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypermile View Post
So...the rain sensor for windshield wiper become less sensitive as well? That sucks, no?
I got uncharacteristically high amounts of rain this past fall/winter and had no issues. You can still individually code wiper level sensitivity (on some builds) as well as toggle on stalk switch.
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2017, 02:40 PM   #22
Billfitz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
has anyone every used carly for coding ?
I looked into it, it's not cheap, and far too many of the things I wanted to do it can't. The appeal is that it seems more user friendly than E-Sys, but IME E-Sys is far more intimidating than it is demanding. If all of the data was in English instead of German the intimidation factor would drop by 90%.
Appreciate 0