F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Adaptive M Suspension without M Sports Mode
GetBMWParts

04-15-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
mpaasky
Enlisted Member

Drives: '14 435i

Adaptive M Suspension without M Sports Mode

435i was always out of consideration for me due to its high price tag. However, at the dealership today I realized that I could get a no-line car with Adaptive M Suspension for only $1k.

Before, I always thought that I have to pay $3k for the M Sports package to get the sporty firm suspension. However, it seems that if I choose to not get the M Sports line, I can save $2k by simply getting the Dynamic Handling Package.

Do you guys know if the Adaptive Suspension is as good as the base M Suspension from the Sports mode? For example, maybe if I get both the Adaptive Suspension and the M Sports suspension, then my adaptive system is on TOP of the better M Sports suspension? Or, by getting the Adaptive suspension from the Dynamic Handling Package, I essentially replace my entire suspension system with a better one?

If that is the case, I think I can afford a 435i!
      04-15-2014, 07:52 PM   #2
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!

Drives: 2012 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpaasky View Post
435i was always out of consideration for me due to its high price tag. However, at the dealership today I realized that I could get a no-line car with Adaptive M Suspension for only $1k.

Before, I always thought that I have to pay $3k for the M Sports package to get the sporty firm suspension. However, it seems that if I choose to not get the M Sports line, I can save $2k by simply getting the Dynamic Handling Package.

Do you guys know if the Adaptive Suspension is as good as the base M Suspension from the Sports mode? For example, maybe if I get both the Adaptive Suspension and the M Sports suspension, then my adaptive system is on TOP of the better M Sports suspension? Or, by getting the Adaptive suspension from the Dynamic Handling Package, I essentially replace my entire suspension system with a better one?

If that is the case, I think I can afford a 435i!
You have to remove "M Sport Suspension" to add DHP, so it is a standalone suspension. An MSport with DHP should have the same suspension as a no-line.
      04-15-2014, 08:02 PM   #3
mpaasky
Enlisted Member

Drives: '14 435i

thank you! now, shall i get a 435 or 235? i can't make up my mind....
      04-15-2014, 08:36 PM   #4
fecurtis
Captain

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Test drive them both.
      04-16-2014, 11:56 AM   #5
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!

Drives: 2012 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW  [0.00]
I would definitely take a 435i over an m235i, but the M235i is a great package.
      04-16-2014, 11:59 AM   #6
falar
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarecrowBoat View Post
You have to remove "M Sport Suspension" to add DHP, so it is a standalone suspension. An MSport with DHP should have the same suspension as a no-line.
That is incorrect.

If you have the M-Sport suspension and add DHP they call that "Adaptive M Suspension" because it still has the stiffer M-Sport springs that lower the car a bit but adds the adaptive dampers.

If you add DHP to a no-line car you will simply get the adaptive dampers as well to go along with your base springs.
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car
      04-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #7
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by falar View Post
That is incorrect.

If you have the M-Sport suspension and add DHP they call that "Adaptive M Suspension" because it still has the stiffer M-Sport springs that lower the car a bit but adds the adaptive dampers.

If you add DHP to a no-line car you will simply get the adaptive dampers as well to go along with your base springs.
+1
      04-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
alienranch
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 BMW 335i

Quote:
These are very different vehicles in terms of size and handling. Definitely need to drive them both (and hard if that's how you normally drive) to decide. You don't want to be in the position of, "I wish I would've gotten ....."
      04-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
pz619
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 328i Sportline

Quote:
Originally Posted by falar View Post
That is incorrect.

I don't think this is correct. The ordering code for the adaptive M suspension is the same regardless of line. Also BMW's standard/optional guide also confirms there is one type of adaptive M suspension.

The two optional suspension are:
M sport suspension calibration (available on 428i and 435i only, sportline or M-sport)
Adaptive M Sport Suspension with electronically controlled damping (avail on all)
      04-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #10
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
I don't think this is correct. The ordering code for the adaptive M suspension is the same regardless of line. Also BMW's standard/optional guide also confirms there is one type of adaptive M suspension.

The two optional suspension are:
M sport suspension calibration (available on 428i and 435i only, sportline or M-sport)
Adaptive M Sport Suspension with electronically controlled damping (avail on all)
It must be then that the X Drives get different springs. Somebody else posted that part numbers for Passive and Adaptive and everything appeared the same except for the electronic dampers.
      04-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #11
falar
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
It must be then that the X Drives get different springs. Somebody else posted that part numbers for Passive and Adaptive and everything appeared the same except for the electronic dampers.
I know for sure that you just can't get the "704" springs with X-Drive. But if you don't have Sport or M-Sport packages (and thus not 704s) does that mean DHP adds them?

If so then yes, I'm wrong with the exception of X-Drive vehicles. I was under the impression that you did not get the 704 springs without the "sport suspension" that comes with either the non-X-drive Sport and M-sport packages.
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car
      04-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #12
RPM90
Major General

Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT

Quote:
That's a question only you can answer.

As recommended, you really need to drive each car to see what makes you smile more.

For me, I am seriously looking into getting in a 2 series sooner than later.
I'm looking into an early lease termination for my 335i Msport.
I do need to drive the 228i Msport and M235i to see if BMW really did improve it from the 1 series, which I loved.

I loved the look of the little boxy 135i. This new 2 has much of that DNA but the slightly larger size has nicely smoothed out the boxy-ness in a good way.

As for your suspension question, I believe the 4 series is like previous 3 series coupe's, the base suspension is the sport suspension.
Take a look at BMW's site and build a 4. Notice on the different lines, when you select "sport" or "Msport" there is no mention of adding the sport suspension. As before, the coupes come with the sport suspension standard.
So, YES you can afford a 435i and still get the sport suspension standard.

If you get the DHP the car gets the upgraded adaptive dampers, which you can switch from normal/comfort to sport. And you get the different steering rack. Getting DHP removes the sport/Msport suspension and adds the adaptive dampers and different colored springs. I'm not sure if the spring rates are any different, but I believe they are a different color.

I have the DHP in my 335i Msport. The adaptive M suspension gives you 2 main settnigs, "normal/comfort" and "sport". There is a noticeable difference between the two settings. The greater benefit is that the dampers are continuously adjusting/adapting their damping based on road surfaces and the cars motion dynamics.
Now whether or not the DHP's sport mode is any better than the non adaptive sport suspension, I haven't seen any hard data on that. And I haven't read reviews where the test drivers made major mention of how much better the adaptive M suspension is.
I don't know of any reviews where a sport suspension 3 or 4 was tested against an equivalent 3/4 with
the M adaptive suspension. I'd like to read that review.

From a technical standpoint, the adaptive dampers 'should' provide better performance as they adjust to different conditions, whereas the sport suspension does not.

Over all, for me, the sport and adaptive suspensions are still too soft compared to previous 3 series sport suspensions.
It kinda sucks that BMW gave us 2 settings for the adaptive suspension, but then didn't actually make "sport" mode firmer with better body control then what it has.

Last edited by RPM90; 04-16-2014 at 09:12 PM.
      04-16-2014, 09:06 PM   #13
RPM90
Major General

Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post

I'm not 100% for the 4, but past coupe versions of the 3 got the sport suspension as the standard suspension. From what I can tell according to BMW's site the same holds true for the 4 coupe. The base/standard suspension is the sport suspension, unlike the 3 sedan, which gets the soft base suspension.
To get the sport/Msport suspension on a 3 sedan you have to get sport or Msport line. Then, if you also get the DHP option, then you get the adaptive dampers, different colored springs (IIRC), and the different ratio steering rack.

Last edited by RPM90; 04-16-2014 at 09:14 PM.
      04-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #14
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel

My 335i is the second F30 M-Sport, the first with Passive Sport suspension and this one has DHP.

The DHP in Sport Mode is definitely stiffer and although I don't use Comfort Mode much, it does make a difference on less that stellar roads.

I owned the first car for 10 months and have had the new one for 8 months, so I think both constitute long enough periods to adequately compare.

Edit: I keep forgetting, but the DHP package is not only the Adaptive Suspension but you also get the VSS Steering. A great bargain for $1k MSRP.
      04-17-2014, 03:42 AM   #15
tturedraider
Captain

Drives: '06 Sonora 330i NA N52 :-)

On Sport and M Sport line models adding DHP with Adaptive M suspension deletes the 704 M Sport suspension.

Last edited by tturedraider; 04-17-2014 at 03:53 AM.
tturedraider is offline   United_States