F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Visual instruction on Pro Nav .. How do I turn it back on ?
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #1
andymj
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport Touring
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bucks

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Visual instruction on Pro Nav .. How do I turn it back on ?

All,
Somehow I've managed to turn OFF visual instruction on the main Sat Nav screen. Audio instruction works fine (if I turn it on), but I have no visual instruction ..l

I've searched through the options, can't seem to find something to enable.

Ay ideas ?
__________________
Melbourne Red 330D M Sport. Visibility Pack
Advanced Parking Pack, Professional Media Pack & Adaptive Suspension.
andymj is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 05:01 PM   #2
UK_
4
Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible Tanzanite Blue
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 402
iTrader: (0)

Not sure Andy, a bit of a strange one. Have you tried online owner's manual? Out of interest and off topic, see you spec'd parking pack, how good is parking assist at parallel parking?
__________________
M4 Convertible Tanzanite blue, Silverstone leather - EPIC
UK_ is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 05:37 PM   #3
JOHNBMWM5
53
Live for today tomorrow never comes
 
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 5,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymj View Post
All,
Somehow I've managed to turn OFF visual instruction on the main Sat Nav screen. Audio instruction works fine (if I turn it on), but I have no visual instruction ..l

I've searched through the options, can't seem to find something to enable.

Ay ideas ?
Andy try turning the ignition OFF, then on again,de-select destination, then re-select it and see if that works.
Nothing in the manual I can see solves it.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
JOHNBMWM5 is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
andymj
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport Touring
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bucks

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rb79
Not sure Andy, a bit of a strange one. Have you tried online owner's manual? Out of interest and off topic, see you spec'd parking pack, how good is parking assist at parallel parking?
Bit of a gimmick to be honest. I think I've used it once, and that was just to see how good it was. Not used it since.
__________________
Melbourne Red 330D M Sport. Visibility Pack
Advanced Parking Pack, Professional Media Pack & Adaptive Suspension.
andymj is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 06:04 PM   #5
MaestroAl
11
Major
 
Drives: Superman 330D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (0)

I've used it tonnes. It's bloody brilliant
__________________
"Superman 330D M Sport" Estoril Blue / Coral Red
2PF|ZAP|ZMP|ZVI|2VF|3AP|420|488|494|5DC|688|6NR
IT ARRIVED!
MaestroAl is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 06:06 PM   #6
UK_
4
Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible Tanzanite Blue
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 402
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
I've used it tonnes. It's bloody brilliant
Take it you trust it to know where the kerb is Maestro, ie not use the kerbing of an alloy as a sensor to stop?
__________________
M4 Convertible Tanzanite blue, Silverstone leather - EPIC
UK_ is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 06:08 PM   #7
MaestroAl
11
Major
 
Drives: Superman 330D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (0)

It's been between 4 and 6 inches from the curb every time so far without exception. Even on some tricky spots. It's the second most impressive toy on the car for me after the mad-as-a-box-of-frogs auto highbeam

-edit- And don't forget, the driver is always in control of the throttle and brakes so if you park slow enough, it doesn't matter if you touch a curb 'cause it'll just bet he tyre I just hope I don't get so used to it that I get complacent and then one day, after a few months, it gets all existential on me and drives me into a canal.
__________________
"Superman 330D M Sport" Estoril Blue / Coral Red
2PF|ZAP|ZMP|ZVI|2VF|3AP|420|488|494|5DC|688|6NR
IT ARRIVED!
MaestroAl is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 06:12 PM   #8
UK_
4
Lieutenant
 
UK_'s Avatar
 
Drives: M4 Convertible Tanzanite Blue
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 402
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
It's been between 4 and 6 inches from the curb every time so far without exception. Even on some tricky spots. It's the second most impressive toy on the car for me after the mad-as-a-box-of-frogs auto highbeam

-edit- And don't forget, the driver is always in control of the throttle and brakes so if you park slow enough, it doesn't matter if you touch a curb 'cause it'll just bet he tyre I just hope I don't get so used to it that I get complacent and then one day, after a few months, it gets all existential on me and drives me into a canal.
Auto highbeam is AMAZING, never (literally) seen anything like it.
__________________
M4 Convertible Tanzanite blue, Silverstone leather - EPIC
UK_ is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #9
MaestroAl
11
Major
 
Drives: Superman 330D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (0)

Yes. AMAZING is about right I tried describing it to people and you can never really do it justice - it's one of those things you've just got to see to fully appreciate how clever it is. I can't imagine what it looks like to a car 20yds in front with my main beam lighting up the road for 100yds ahead of them either side.... must be a proper WTF moment
__________________
"Superman 330D M Sport" Estoril Blue / Coral Red
2PF|ZAP|ZMP|ZVI|2VF|3AP|420|488|494|5DC|688|6NR
IT ARRIVED!
MaestroAl is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
andymj
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport Touring
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bucks

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl
I've used it tonnes. It's bloody brilliant
I don't dispute the brilliance of the tech, just my personal usage. A bit of a foobar n ordering the car mind .. I thought the parking pack was the rear sensors and reversing camera not realising they were std on M spec cars. Ah well. I can swap it for something else's in 2years )
__________________
Melbourne Red 330D M Sport. Visibility Pack
Advanced Parking Pack, Professional Media Pack & Adaptive Suspension.
andymj is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 06:21 PM   #11
MaestroAl
11
Major
 
Drives: Superman 330D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymj View Post
.. I thought the parking pack was the rear sensors and reversing camera not realising they were std on M spec cars.
They're not. I don't think so anyway. The camera is extra on all cars and I think front sensors come with the 6cyl models if I remember correctly. Rear sensors are standard across pretty much all models.

I only ordered it because I wanted the rear camera and it wasn't much extra to stick the full parking package on. Really glad I did though: for some reason I parallel park quite a lot and man, that thing's better at parking than I am! It's exactly the same thing with the auto high beam. Xenons were an absolute must and I wanted adaptive headlights. It wasn't much more to add the full visibility pack so I did. And now I find that my two mostest favouritest things on the car are the two frivolous options I added on a whim "just because". Funny how life turns out sometimes
__________________
"Superman 330D M Sport" Estoril Blue / Coral Red
2PF|ZAP|ZMP|ZVI|2VF|3AP|420|488|494|5DC|688|6NR
IT ARRIVED!
MaestroAl is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #12
sdb123
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 320d M-Sport
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Northants

Posts: 138
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
They're not. I don't think so anyway. The camera is extra on all cars and I think front sensors come with the 6cyl models if I remember correctly. Rear sensors are standard across pretty much all models.

I only ordered it because I wanted the rear camera and it wasn't much extra to stick the full parking package on. Really glad I did though: for some reason I parallel park quite a lot and man, that thing's better at parking than I am! It's exactly the same thing with the auto high beam. Xenons were an absolute must and I wanted adaptive headlights. It wasn't much more to add the full visibility pack so I did. And now I find that my two mostest favouritest things on the car are the two frivolous options I added on a whim "just because". Funny how life turns out sometimes
Correct on the camera/sensors.

On my E90, HK and the visibility pack are my two favourite things....will definitely spec both on the F30.
sdb123 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 04:09 AM   #13
andymj
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport Touring
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bucks

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

OK - so back to the original pbm.

I've since had chance to restart - but the pbm remains, and now I'm doubting if I've ever HAD this feature.

What I mean is - I approach a roundabout, and on the main display screen (not the display in the speedo cluster), as I approach a roundabout, I get a screen showing me the exit on the roundabout to take.

I can get "similar" by using the split screen view - but thats not what I want, or what I thought I had to have. I thought I used to have relevant visual instructions displayed .. ie, showing which lane to be in on a multi lane m-way, or which exit to take off a roundabout. I have the white line showing my route - that works OK.

I can't find anything in the owner guide to suggest that I DID have this ..... so someone offer me some sanity ..... does the 2012 BMW Sat Nav (F31 if it makes any diff), offer VISUAL instruction on the main display ?

Am I going mad ? Did I dream this ?

Andy
__________________
Melbourne Red 330D M Sport. Visibility Pack
Advanced Parking Pack, Professional Media Pack & Adaptive Suspension.
andymj is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 04:15 AM   #14
JOHNBMWM5
53
Live for today tomorrow never comes
 
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 5,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymj View Post
OK - so back to the original pbm.

I've since had chance to restart - but the pbm remains, and now I'm doubting if I've ever HAD this feature.

What I mean is - I approach a roundabout, and on the main display screen (not the display in the speedo cluster), as I approach a roundabout, I get a screen showing me the exit on the roundabout to take.

I can get "similar" by using the split screen view - but thats not what I want, or what I thought I had to have. I thought I used to have relevant visual instructions displayed .. ie, showing which lane to be in on a multi lane m-way, or which exit to take off a roundabout. I have the white line showing my route - that works OK.

I can't find anything in the owner guide to suggest that I DID have this ..... so someone offer me some sanity ..... does the 2012 BMW Sat Nav (F31 if it makes any diff), offer VISUAL instruction on the main display ?

Am I going mad ? Did I dream this ?

Andy
You need split screen activated, then on motorways you should get the exit lane displayed.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
JOHNBMWM5 is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #15
TMP
28
Colonel
 
TMP's Avatar
 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Cheshire

Posts: 2,880
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
Yes. AMAZING is about right I tried describing it to people and you can never really do it justice - it's one of those things you've just got to see to fully appreciate how clever it is. I can't imagine what it looks like to a car 20yds in front with my main beam lighting up the road for 100yds ahead of them either side.... must be a proper WTF moment
So does this keep Full beam on, but avoids cars?

The 1er auto beam, seems to turn off when it see cars....
__________________
M-Lite v2 & Family 5er v2
TMP is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #16
MaestroAl
11
Major
 
Drives: Superman 330D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (0)

That's exactly what it does. It vectors the main beam all over the shop. I've used it on the motorway and it lights up around cars but not at cars. Very, very clever
__________________
"Superman 330D M Sport" Estoril Blue / Coral Red
2PF|ZAP|ZMP|ZVI|2VF|3AP|420|488|494|5DC|688|6NR
IT ARRIVED!
MaestroAl is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
53
Live for today tomorrow never comes
 
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 5,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
That's exactly what it does. It vectors the main beam all over the shop. I've used it on the motorway and it lights up around cars but not at cars. Very, very clever
I have this and agree it's very unusual lights up all round on coming traffic without blinding anyone, very clever.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
JOHNBMWM5 is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 08:03 AM   #18
dopper99
49
Brigadier General
 
dopper99's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 4,169
iTrader: (1)

How quick is the headlamp assist to react to oncoming traffic? I have it on my E90 and say you go around a band and come across a car coming toward you out of the blue, it can be a little sluggish to turn off the main beam.
The displeasure of the oncoming car is highlighted by the fact they often switch their full beam back on before they have passed me.
Its seems ok 85-90% of the time on my E90. I hope they have improved it on the F3X?
dopper99 is offline   England
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #19
andymj
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW 330d M Sport Touring
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bucks

Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
How quick is the headlamp assist to react to oncoming traffic?
Well, I've not been flashed by on coming traffic yet ... so if thats my yardstick, its very quick.
__________________
Melbourne Red 330D M Sport. Visibility Pack
Advanced Parking Pack, Professional Media Pack & Adaptive Suspension.
andymj is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #20
JOHNBMWM5
53
Live for today tomorrow never comes
 
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 5,321
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andymj View Post
Well, I've not been flashed by on coming traffic yet ... so if thats my yardstick, its very quick.
+1 the car is very quick to alter the beam.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
JOHNBMWM5 is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 08:30 AM   #21
MaestroAl
11
Major
 
Drives: Superman 330D M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: UK

Posts: 1,194
iTrader: (0)

It's a completely different system to the E90 version, or any previous BMW version for that matter it's one of those "you have to see it to believe it" things, I guess, but I am genuinely shocked every time I drive the car at night and it does crazy shizzle all over the carriageway not been flashed once ... yet
__________________
"Superman 330D M Sport" Estoril Blue / Coral Red
2PF|ZAP|ZMP|ZVI|2VF|3AP|420|488|494|5DC|688|6NR
IT ARRIVED!
MaestroAl is offline   United Kingdom
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
dopper99
49
Brigadier General
 
dopper99's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 4,169
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaestroAl View Post
It's a completely different system to the E90 version, or any previous BMW version for that matter it's one of those "you have to see it to believe it" things, I guess, but I am genuinely shocked every time I drive the car at night and it does crazy shizzle all over the carriageway not been flashed once ... yet
Yes, I chatted to the dealer about this new system a few weeks ago and he described that a “box” is created around the car in front as not to dazzle them, and as you say, the sides of the road are still illuminated at full beam strength. He also showed me a Youtube vid which demonstrated it.

Looks an impressive system and even better if it turns off the full beam quicker than the E90 did.

To be fair, in mine, I've not really been flashed, but I do feel uncomfortable with how long it takes to turn off sometimes. It is very borderline on annoying some people I would imagine and look like you are being "lazy" turning it off.
dopper99 is offline   England
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST