F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > What is this noise? BC Racing BR Series Coilovers
GetBMWParts

05-04-2016, 10:37 PM   #1
2Ritch
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

What is this noise? BC Racing BR Series Coilovers

Maybe you guy's can offer your opinions on a Front-end noise I'm having since installation of my BC Racing Coilovers.

I bought my car with H&R lowering springs on the stock shocks, but they were too bouncy and there was a slight rattling noise when I drove over bumpy pavements and big bumps from the front left strut (driver's side), which I assumed was a bad strut mount...therefore I bought a brand new set of BC Racing Coilovers.

After installation I got a new noise but this one was a more consistent & annoying noise, it sounded lower than the original noise I had with stock shock, it's like a clunking/knocking noise going over the smallest bump, uneven pavement and I can feel it under my left foot, almost as if something is loose.

I had an alignment shop full inspect my car, they re-torqued all bolts, subframe and checked all bushings & sway-bar bushings and they said everything looked great! We also re-checked the installation & pre-load on the coilovers...so now I'm dumbstruck on what it could be...I'm starting to wonder is it's the steering rack, which I hope not...lol

Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 12:32 AM   #2
Stlthnmrdrd
1-800-STOCKAF
United_States
Rep

Prob is the steering rack. When i installed my er charge pipe i got a similar constant knocking/vibration and i was able to feel it on the foot rest, the pedals, and up to the steering wheel. When i saw under my car my cp barely had clearnce b/w steering wheel and lower end of the upper charge pipe.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 12:37 AM   #3
2Ritch
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stlthnmrdrd View Post
Prob is the steering rack. When i installed my er charge pipe i got a similar constant knocking/vibration and i was able to feel it on the foot rest, the pedals, and up to the steering wheel. When i saw under my car my cp barely had clearnce b/w steering wheel and lower end of the upper charge pipe.
Thanks for the insight...I have E.R Charge Pipe as well, so will double check those clearances. I think my mechanic said he checked it tho.

Have you had your steering rack replaced?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2016, 09:07 PM   #4
Stlthnmrdrd
1-800-STOCKAF
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Ritch View Post
Thanks for the insight...I have E.R Charge Pipe as well, so will double check those clearances. I think my mechanic said he checked it tho.

Have you had your steering rack replaced?
Nope steering rack didnt get damaged at all. The knocking was REALLY noticable when i was steering while in reverse though.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2016, 04:55 PM   #5
MMOTION
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like you'll never drive again

Check if its the nut on the sway-bar link upfront. My buddy mentioned that for some odd reason his won't fasten into place and had to check if it was loose every other week.
Appreciate 0