F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > Has anyone only upgraded shocks?
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-29-2017, 03:12 PM   #1
cu260r6
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 428i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Has anyone only upgraded shocks?

I'm considering Koni orange, yellow, or Bilstein B6 shocks to firm up the ride slightly on my daily driver. I live in a climate that gets a lot of snow and can't afford the ride height decrease that comes with most performance springs. Has anyone done only their shocks? How has it altered the ride, specifically the comfort?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
superherorockstar
Private
24
Rep
91
Posts

Drives: 2014 335
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

I?m considering the b4 sports. I?ve heard that the b6 can be extremely harsh
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2017, 11:47 PM   #3
cu260r6
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 428i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Good call, that's what I meant. Anyone tried only the B4's without upgraded springs?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 08:07 PM   #4
cu260r6
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 428i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Bueller? Bueller?

This seems like the most logical upgrade for a daily driver. Stiffer springs require stiffer shocks, and there's no guarantee the rates will be matched well enough without trying several combinations. I was hoping slightly stiffer shocks could be used with the stock springs but was curious about the spring/shock match.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2017, 08:11 PM   #5
Polo08816
Colonel
572
Rep
2,575
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cu260r6 View Post
Bueller? Bueller?

This seems like the most logical upgrade for a daily driver. Stiffer springs require stiffer shocks, and there's no guarantee the rates will be matched well enough without trying several combinations. I was hoping slightly stiffer shocks could be used with the stock springs but was curious about the spring/shock match.
The only guarantee is the BMW M Performance Suspension Kit.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 07:52 PM   #6
js 84
Enlisted Member
js 84's Avatar
6
Rep
43
Posts

Drives: F30 2012 320d
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Latvia

iTrader: (0)

I have upgraded my shocks to Bilstein B6 with stock springs. I think this was my favorite upgrade so far. To me B6 have just right amount of stiffness.
On highway I would say that B6 are more comfortable as they do not bounce around on bumps. Currently have done 15k km on the B6 and still love them.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 01:21 AM   #7
nickf30
New Member
2
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Looking for same upgrade here, for comparison all 3 cars are driven on same road for at least 100 miles: my 2014 stock 335i xDrive suspension with conti run-flats is so bouncy / floaty at highway speed. 2017 330i xDrive is 90% free of the bouncy feeling / similar body roll. 2017 430i Gran Coupe xDrive (0.5 inches lower) has 0 bouncy feeling (little harsh at low speed) / much less body roll.

My guess for upgrade path:
1) Bilstein B4 upgrade --> 330i Level damping, same body roll
2) Bilstein B6 upgrade --> 430i Level damping (slightly harsh), same body roll
3) Bilstein B6 + 10-20mm drop -> 430i Level handling (quite harsh)
4) Bilstein B8 + 30mm+ drop -> too much for NYC -> require tire change / significant PSI change

Anyone running these upgrades ?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #8
YR430D
Private First Class
YR430D's Avatar
20
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: BMW 430D
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

What is the difference between M Performance suspension and M sport suspension??
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
Polo08816
Colonel
572
Rep
2,575
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR430D View Post
What is the difference between M Performance suspension and M sport suspension??
M Sport Suspension = Sport Suspension.

It's the factory 704 suspension for RWD cars.


M Performance Suspension Kit is an M Performance upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #10
cu260r6
Enlisted Member
2
Rep
44
Posts

Drives: 428i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: CO

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by js 84 View Post
I have upgraded my shocks to Bilstein B6 with stock springs. I think this was my favorite upgrade so far. To me B6 have just right amount of stiffness.
On highway I would say that B6 are more comfortable as they do not bounce around on bumps. Currently have done 15k km on the B6 and still love them.
Thank you, look like the route I'll be going as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #11
MacklinUSOB
Private
21
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

I am planning on replacing both front shocks with a set of B6's. One of the first mods I did to my CPO car is replace the rear shocks with B6's and it made a **massive** improvement, the stock 704 rears were utterly shot. Now there is way less brake dive and squatting under acceleration, I am expecting that to go even further once the fronts are done.
__________________
Add 5 horsepower for every M logo
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 06:05 PM   #12
YR430D
Private First Class
YR430D's Avatar
20
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: BMW 430D
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polo08816 View Post
M Sport Suspension = Sport Suspension.

It's the factory 704 suspension for RWD cars.


M Performance Suspension Kit is an M Performance upgrade.
Thank you but is m performance lower and stiffer than m sport from factory?
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2017, 06:53 PM   #13
Polo08816
Colonel
572
Rep
2,575
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by YR430D View Post
Thank you but is m performance lower and stiffer than m sport from factory?
It is 10mm lower than the 704 Sport Suspension from the factory. All the high end coilovers like Ohlins Road & Track and AST are recommended to be 10mm lower than the 704 Sport Suspension. It is likely the optimal ride height for performance.

It is slightly stiffer than the 704 Sport Suspension as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 05:28 PM   #14
YR430D
Private First Class
YR430D's Avatar
20
Rep
186
Posts

Drives: BMW 430D
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

If and when I do replace the dampers I will go Ohlins R&T.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 03:34 AM   #15
nickf30
New Member
2
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Got a pair of B6 rear shocks installed to my 2014 335i xdrive today. Stock front struts (800 mls old replaced by dealer recently) + stock springs + OEM continental run flat 34psi Front/ 38psi Rear. Initial 40 miles impression is very positive: the rear feels much more stable over bump at I-95 / NYC street. Ride is tighter it feels almost the same as 2017 330i xdrive over the same 40 miles drive. It also improves the steering response the whole car feels more lively at slow speed (similar to LCI 4 series). There is no change in amount of body roll during hard corning (as expected) but it feels more confident inspiring / less body roll for highway overtake (quick left -> right / right -> left move).

Going to install B6 front struts + AC Schnitzer Springs to complete the upgrade in the next 1-2 weeks.

Last edited by nickf30; 10-24-2017 at 03:43 AM.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2017, 01:46 PM   #16
MacklinUSOB
Private
21
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf30 View Post
Got a pair of B6 rear shocks installed to my 2014 335i xdrive today. Stock front struts (800 mls old replaced by dealer recently) + stock springs + OEM continental run flat 34psi Front/ 38psi Rear. Initial 40 miles impression is very positive: the rear feels much more stable over bump at I-95 / NYC street. Ride is tighter it feels almost the same as 2017 330i xdrive over the same 40 miles drive. It also improves the steering response the whole car feels more lively at slow speed (similar to LCI 4 series). There is no change in amount of body roll during hard corning (as expected) but it feels more confident inspiring / less body roll for highway overtake (quick left -> right / right -> left move).

Going to install B6 front struts + AC Schnitzer Springs to complete the upgrade in the next 1-2 weeks.
Definitely let us know how the feeling progresses with those new fronts and springs! I'm glad it made such a difference for you, my feelings on the upgrade are absolutely in line with the examples you provided. It is way more confidence inspiring when you're tossing it around, the damping in the rear is substantially improved, it keeps the whole track of the car more stable in pretty much every condition.
__________________
Add 5 horsepower for every M logo
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 02:31 PM   #17
nickf30
New Member
2
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Definitely let us know how the feeling progresses with those new fronts and springs! I'm glad it made such a difference for you, my feelings on the upgrade are absolutely in line with the examples you provided. It is way more confidence inspiring when you're tossing it around, the damping in the rear is substantially improved, it keeps the whole track of the car more stable in pretty much every condition.
Bilstein B6 front struts are still out of stock in U.S. fact the latest date as told by my vendor is at least Jan-12-2018. The only way to complete the upgrade is either bite the bullet on PSS10 coilover (which is way overkill) or change to Koni Sport (Yellow). Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 06:27 PM   #18
MacklinUSOB
Private
21
Rep
71
Posts

Drives: f30 328i 6MT Sport
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Connecticut

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickf30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
Definitely let us know how the feeling progresses with those new fronts and springs! I'm glad it made such a difference for you, my feelings on the upgrade are absolutely in line with the examples you provided. It is way more confidence inspiring when you're tossing it around, the damping in the rear is substantially improved, it keeps the whole track of the car more stable in pretty much every condition.
Bilstein B6 front struts are still out of stock in U.S. fact the latest date as told by my vendor is at least Jan-12-2018. The only way to complete the upgrade is either bite the bullet on PSS10 coilover (which is way overkill) or change to Koni Sport (Yellow). Any thoughts?
I'm not sure of any purchase constraints you may have, but I do see them in stock at Bimmerworld.com, haven't looked elsewhere. However, I have heard good things about the Koni Sports. I do believe those to be comparable to the B8's (for lowering applications), though.
__________________
Add 5 horsepower for every M logo
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2017, 10:17 PM   #19
nickf30
New Member
2
Rep
24
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i xDrive
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacklinUSOB View Post
I'm not sure of any purchase constraints you may have, but I do see them in stock at Bimmerworld.com, haven't looked elsewhere. However, I have heard good things about the Koni Sports. I do believe those to be comparable to the B8's (for lowering applications), though.
I had placed the order at Bimmerworld few weeks back but they told me Bilstein B6 is back ordered at least 8 weeks so I ended up order through ECS and hoping it will arrive early (was showing Nov 2nd online). It turned out Bimmerworld's estimation is correct and everybody is back ordered on B6 until mid Jan 2018.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:49 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST