F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > A few questions regarding iDrive/Nav
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-30-2012, 09:05 AM   #1
jbaird
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
33
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kentucky, USA

iTrader: (0)

A few questions regarding iDrive/Nav

I know these have probably been answered here, but I can't seem to turn up any answers with the search. Anyhow, I just got my new F30 335i, and I have a couple of questions regarding iDrive:

1. I can enable Split Screen, but the only data that I can seem to get to appear on the "split" part of the screen is Fuel consumption, etc. Is it possible to get Entertainment/Music information displayed in this area?

2. I signed up for BMW Assist, and downloaded the "My BMW Remote" application on my iPhone 5. The app is asking for my ConnectedDrive portal username and password, but I can not for the life of me figure out where to signup/register for this service. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please? I'm assuming this application will allow me to send Google Maps destinations directly to my car from my phone.

3. In order to use BMW Apps (Pandora, Twitter, etc), my phone needs to be cabled to the armrest USB jack, correct?

Thanks!
__________________
2013 F30 335i Sport Line | Mineral Grey | Everest Grey/Black Interior | Premium | Cold Weather | Technology | HK
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:31 AM   #2
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
Frogman's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,799
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

1. Yes. With the split screen shown, move the i-drive knob to the right and then click. A menu will come up with the different screens available.

2. Your CA should have setup your assist information. If he/she did not, then call them and make sure you have a user name (e-mail address) and password. Then make an assist call via the SOS button to verify you connection, username, and password. Once you are all setup, you use the user/password in the remote app to get connected.

3. I think it should work over bluetooth, but I don't know for sure as I don't have BMW Apps; just NAV and Assist.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 10:36 AM   #3
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,579
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

To use BMW Apps, you must be plugged into the center console USB.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:20 AM   #4
Lakers0824
New Member
0
Rep
26
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 AW 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Orange county

iTrader: (0)

Just click to the right wherever you are on the screen then it should say split screen content, and from there u could choose from a lot of things to put on split screen, including entertainment info. I know pandora can be used via Bluetooth. And BMW assist will setup your account via the SOS call you'll make once they input you in the system. I know my dealer told me my password would be my last name. They should have told you what your password was, cuz you'll verify your password when you make the SOS call. At least that's what I had to do, brand new owner as well!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
jbaird
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
33
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kentucky, USA

iTrader: (0)

Thanks.. got it working.

Still having trouble with Bluetooth Audio though. When I enable BT Audio, and select the BMW as my playback device on the iPhone, the iPhone appears to be playing the song, but no audio is transmitted to the BMW. Anyone else using BT audio?

Thanks!
__________________
2013 F30 335i Sport Line | Mineral Grey | Everest Grey/Black Interior | Premium | Cold Weather | Technology | HK
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
Frogman's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,799
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird View Post
Thanks.. got it working.

Still having trouble with Bluetooth Audio though. When I enable BT Audio, and select the BMW as my playback device on the iPhone, the iPhone appears to be playing the song, but no audio is transmitted to the BMW. Anyone else using BT audio?

Thanks!
I use BT audio all the time. It works great!

Make sure BT audio is enabled for your phone in i-Drive. It's a bit tricky to get to the configuration page in the car. You need to make sure that the car is configured to receive BT audio from your phone.

Make sure the sound isn't turned off on the car (speaker with slash through it on the display). Also, I find that the volume is sometimes turned way down on BT audio, try turning the volume up on the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 08:34 PM   #7
john08135i
Major
john08135i's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,023
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 M Sport, 2010 bmw S1000RR
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to john08135i
Also you cant use BT and usb on the same device at the same time..its stupid..but i can on my windows8 phone.
__________________
M Sport Line Estoril Blue
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #8
RadRyDawg
Private
0
Rep
83
Posts

 
Drives: '13 F30 335i MS-EB MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: CT

iTrader: (0)

Yes, you cannot have the phone plugged in to USB when using BT. Secondly, this y-cable business is ridiculous.
__________________
Ryan
'13 335i EB MT
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2012, 11:14 PM   #9
SamS
Brigadier General
SamS's Avatar
61
Rep
4,579
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by john08135i View Post
Also you cant use BT and usb on the same device at the same time..its stupid..but i can on my windows8 phone.
You mean BT for audio, or BT for phone, at the same time you're plugged into USB for charging?
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:07 AM   #10
jbaird
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
33
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kentucky, USA

iTrader: (0)

Found something odd with the Split screen and was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

I currently have split screen set to Music/Entertainment and it displays the song/artist that my iPod (via USB) is playing. Sometimes, it fails to update. So, when a new song starts, the Split screen still displays the previous song. It never changes.

Has anyone seen this? It only happens sometimes.
__________________
2013 F30 335i Sport Line | Mineral Grey | Everest Grey/Black Interior | Premium | Cold Weather | Technology | HK
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #11
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,145
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird
I know these have probably been answered here, but I can't seem to turn up any answers with the search. Anyhow, I just got my new F30 335i, and I have a couple of questions regarding iDrive:

1. I can enable Split Screen, but the only data that I can seem to get to appear on the "split" part of the screen is Fuel consumption, etc. Is it possible to get Entertainment/Music information displayed in this area?

2. I signed up for BMW Assist, and downloaded the "My BMW Remote" application on my iPhone 5. The app is asking for my ConnectedDrive portal username and password, but I can not for the life of me figure out where to signup/register for this service. Can anyone point me in the right direction, please? I'm assuming this application will allow me to send Google Maps destinations directly to my car from my phone.

3. In order to use BMW Apps (Pandora, Twitter, etc), my phone needs to be cabled to the armrest USB jack, correct?

Thanks!
Keep scrolling down and entertainment info is like the last selection.

I use BT audio exclusively, works great with my iPhone4s...
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #12
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,145
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbaird
Found something odd with the Split screen and was wondering if anyone else has seen this.

I currently have split screen set to Music/Entertainment and it displays the song/artist that my iPod (via USB) is playing. Sometimes, it fails to update. So, when a new song starts, the Split screen still displays the previous song. It never changes.

Has anyone seen this? It only happens sometimes.
Yup, that's why I stopped using the USB..only does it for me on pandora though.

So I just use the enhanced BT for audio...USB is hooked up to a beater iPod whenever I want to listen to my personal music.

BT audio for Pandora.
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #13
jbaird
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
33
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Kentucky, USA

iTrader: (0)

Argh, I still cannot get BT audio to work. I select it as a source on my iPhone, enable BT audio on the iDrive, but no sound.
__________________
2013 F30 335i Sport Line | Mineral Grey | Everest Grey/Black Interior | Premium | Cold Weather | Technology | HK
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2012, 12:05 PM   #14
Thrillbilly
Rear Admiral
Thrillbilly's Avatar
Belgium
4
Rep
286
Posts

 
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lago

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 335ix  [0.00]
I can stream BT audio, BT phone calls, etc while phone is plugged into center console USB hub...android phone.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST