F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Oil temperature and Auto Start/Stop

11-26-2012, 09:00 AM   #1
yepeztroncoso

Drives: 2013 BMW 3 Series Luxury 320i

Oil temperature and Auto Start/Stop

I have various questiosn regarding the oil temeprature and Auto Start-Stop.

My daily commute to work is very short (like 10 min/5 km) per trip with various stop lights. I do this 4 times: morning, lunch (back and forth) and evening back home. My oil temeprature rarely rises form the minimun 70 degrees celcius since its a short trip.

Im wondering if having the ASS systeme enganged, isnt a good idea since my engine never reaches optimal temeprature? Maybe its not good for the engine to be turning on/off and this low temperature. Im thinking that having it engaged will furthermore delay reaching the optimal temperature...
yepeztroncoso is offline   Dominican Republic
      11-26-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
EJIB
Private

Drives: F30 Luxury 18D 143 BHP 320NM

BMW programmed ASS in such a way that it only works if conditions are met. Among several measurements, it takes motor temperature into account as well as AC need etc. So if it works in your situation, then it shouldn't harm. That's for theory. Myself I nearly always deactivate ASS after start, even after changing Mode (Sport/Comf/EcoPro). Depending on the situation I manually reactivate sometimes. Generally, if Stop/Start goes to a stop for only few seconds I personally think it'll be better to deactivate it.