F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Windshield crack while driving
GetBMWParts

11-27-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
NAV8TT
Major

Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

Windshield crack while driving

Guys just noticed a crack on my windshield that came out of no where. It started expanding all of a sudden.

What the hell should I do now. Should I bring it to BMW. Is this covered by the warranty
      11-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #2
tdizzle
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE-77 View Post
Guys just noticed a crack on my windshield that came out of no where. It started expanding all of a sudden.

What the hell should I do now. Should I bring it to BMW. Is this covered by the warranty
Doubt it's covered by BMW warranty, perhaps by your insurance though. I'd get it repaired (if possible) ASAP from a glass shop. Not sure if you have HUD but apparently those windshields are expensive to replace.
tdizzle is online now   United_States
      11-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #3
NAV8TT
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle
Quote:

Doubt it's covered by BMW warranty, perhaps by your insurance though. I'd get it repaired (if possible) ASAP from a glass shop. Not sure if you have HUD but apparently those windshields are expensive to replace.
I have the HUD. Thing is that it's totally de novo. Nothing caused it. No stone or anything hit the window.
      11-27-2012, 11:03 AM   #4
Vitoco
Captain

Drives: F31 328i M Sport

That sounds really unlikely, could u post a closeup on the cracks point of origin?
      11-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
elistan
First Lieutenant

Drives: F30 328i, AP1 S2000

Does it eminate from an edge of the windshield? That happened with my truck one fall, when there was a fair bit of different between overnight and daytime temperatures. Expansion and contraction of the window frame and/or glass, I assume. Having a relatively floppy window frame didn't help either, as the crack quickly grew while driving.
elistan is offline   United_States
      11-27-2012, 11:46 AM   #6
dpwr
Captain

Drives: a good one

I believe if there's no traces of impact on that glass dealer might replace it as a defect
dpwr is offline   No_Country
      11-27-2012, 11:47 AM   #7
NAV8TT
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan
Does it eminate from an edge of the windshield? That happened with my truck one fall, when there was a fair bit of different between overnight and daytime temperatures. Expansion and contraction of the window frame and/or glass, I assume. Having a relatively floppy window frame didn't help either, as the crack quickly grew while driving.
I think that what happened. On way to BMW.
      11-27-2012, 11:48 AM   #8
NAV8TT
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwr
I believe if there's no traces of impact on that glass dealer might replace it as a defect
Can't post a pic, doing this all through the phone. It's coming from the left lower corner going up.
      11-27-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
vern
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 F30 335i Sport 2006 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpwr View Post
+1 It could have cracked do to stress. Good luck
cheers
vern
      11-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
TheObviousChild
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 335xi - M-Sport

Quote:
I have the HUD. Thing is that it's totally de novo. Nothing caused it. No stone or anything hit the window.
I'm very curious to see how the replacement turns out. I live in Denver where cracked windshields are an almost annual occurrence. This is the ONLY reason I opted out of the HUD as I heard the windshields are more expensive to replace. I have a $50 deductible for glass replacement, but I'm not sure how the insurance company would handle the special BMW glass. They typically don't like using OEM, but i don't know if SafeLite even has F30 HUD-compatable windshields.

Good luck friend!
Previous: 2004 325i / MT
TheObviousChild is offline   United_States
      11-27-2012, 12:48 PM   #11
NAV8TT
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild
Quote:
I'm very curious to see how the replacement turns out. I live in Denver where cracked windshields are an almost annual occurrence. This is the ONLY reason I opted out of the HUD as I heard the windshields are more expensive to replace. I have a $50 deductible for glass replacement, but I'm not sure how the insurance company would handle the special BMW glass. They typically don't like using OEM, but i don't know if SafeLite even has F30 HUD-compatable windshields.

Good luck friend!
You said it.

Just went to BMW and of course the numbskulls found a tiny impact lesion that caused the crack. In fact, an 80 year-old service woman looked at the crack and saw the impact lesion. I guess its either I'm blind or the 80 year-old woman has bionic eyes. Anyways, they referred me to a glass shop near by and told me that in Florida it's free to replace the windshield if it cracked. I went to the glass shop and they called my insurance and they will replace it for me with $0 deductible. You are right about the original BMW glass argument. The car is damn new that there is no after market glass for it and having a HUD makes it a bit more harder. So the insurance company will replace it with OEM parts.

So freaking relieved. Thanks everyone.
      11-27-2012, 02:18 PM   #12
tdizzle
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2012 335i Sport

Quote:
You said it.

Just went to BMW and of course the numbskulls found a tiny impact lesion that caused the crack. In fact, an 80 year-old service woman looked at the crack and saw the impact lesion. I guess its either I'm blind or the 80 year-old woman has bionic eyes. Anyways, they referred me to a glass shop near by and told me that in Florida it's free to replace the windshield if it cracked. I went to the glass shop and they called my insurance and they will replace it for me with $0 deductible. You are right about the original BMW glass argument. The car is damn new that there is no after market glass for it and having a HUD makes it a bit more harder. So the insurance company will replace it with OEM parts.

Good for you. I had that happen on my truck. Apparently a rock or something hit on the very edge on the windshield so it looked like nothing happened (minus the resulting crack). Upon closer inspection, I saw a tiny mark right where the windshield met with the edge of the frame. Crazy... Half an inch and it would've missed the windshield.
tdizzle is online now   United_States
      11-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
BMWGRAM
@bmwgram

Drives: E92 M3

Don't hold me to this but I'm almost positive insurance will cover it at no cost because windshields are required

Check out @bmwgram on instagram!
BMWGRAM is online now   United_States
      11-27-2012, 03:23 PM   #14
TheObviousChild
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 335xi - M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30ftw View Post
Don't hold me to this but I'm almost positive insurance will cover it at no cost because windshields are required
Pretty sure it depends on the state...unfortunately.

I have a $50 deductible. Safelite wanted to use their house brand which cost $500. I asked about OEM and they got a quote of $900....meaning I would have had to pay the difference. Needless to say, I paid my $50 deductible and got the non-OEM. Of course, I don't have HUD....for this reason. I don't want to have to shell out $1000 every two years for a new windshield.
Previous: 2004 325i / MT
TheObviousChild is offline   United_States
      11-27-2012, 03:38 PM   #15
Tony007

Drives: F82 M4, 14 Jeep SRT

I have State farm in FL and they would only pay for non-OEM glass and I covered the difference to get the OEM glass.
      11-27-2012, 04:06 PM   #16
gator15
Private First Class

Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
This is correct for Florida. Florida insurance regulations require that every comprehensive insurance policy sold in the state include a no-deductible windshield replacement. This is a matter of public policy, as cracked windshields can be very dangerous, especially in a crash. So, if you see anyone driving around with a cracked windshield in Florida, it is a clear indication that they are uninsured because if they had an insurance policy, it would be fixed for free. Unfortunately, very few states include this as a requirement and most impose deductibles on glass replacement.
gator15 is offline   United_States
      11-27-2012, 04:58 PM   #17
AZ330FZL
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 335i Sedan Sport Line

Garage List
Quote:
You said it.

Glad to hear that you had a $0 deductible. The HUD glass is super expensive, I have seen estimates from other threads of $1400-$2100 just for the glass. I had to do a glass replacement within 2 weeks of having my car so I know the feeling. Best of luck with the replacement.
AZ330FZL is offline   United_States
      11-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Elk
Major

Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheObviousChild View Post
Pretty sure it depends on the state...
And the coverage you choose to buy in those states that do not mandate no-deductible glass.
      11-27-2012, 06:45 PM   #19
Tsuvoi
Banned

Drives: 2013 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony007 View Post
I have State farm in FL and they would only pay for non-OEM glass and I covered the difference to get the OEM glass.
It's weird the other day I was reading something about State Farm will only use OEM parts.
      11-28-2012, 01:34 AM   #20
Pandarakus
Private

Drives: 2012 F30 328i

What a badluck dude. I also got my windshield crack on the FIRST DAY I brought it home from the dealer! It happens in front of my house. At first, I thought someone threw a rock at my windshield, but it turns out that a seed fall out from a tree. Really badluck
      11-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #21
JUSKIDN
Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport

I would love to know what the HUD windshield goes for
      11-28-2012, 06:50 AM   #22
NAV8TT
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator15
Quote:
This is correct for Florida. Florida insurance regulations require that every comprehensive insurance policy sold in the state include a no-deductible windshield replacement. This is a matter of public policy, as cracked windshields can be very dangerous, especially in a crash. So, if you see anyone driving around with a cracked windshield in Florida, it is a clear indication that they are uninsured because if they had an insurance policy, it would be fixed for free. Unfortunately, very few states include this as a requirement and most impose deductibles on glass replacement.
You'll also get a ticket for driving w a cracked windshield here.