F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Buying a new seat?
TAG Motorsports

07-14-2014, 07:54 PM   #1
amoeba
Private First Class

Drives: E46 330i zhp, F30 335-MSport

Buying a new seat?

I'm having back problems recently and I'm pretty sure it's related to the new F30 leatherette seats. I have the sport non-premium version so no lumbar. The seat also sits more like a bucket and the stuffing material is much softer compared to the leather version, not providing enough support to the back. After driving about 15 minutes my upper back would start hurting because it's taking all the weight, even makes me a bit nauseous. Never had any problems before switching to the F30 a month ago.

Now I'm thinking if I can just swap out the entire driver side seat for a premium leather version with lumbar. Where's a good place to buy the whole seat? I priced it out and it looks like $3k+ to buy it direct from BMW. I guess you can't put a price on your back...
      07-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #2
focal
Lieutenant

Drives: 328i 6MT Sportline

i have the sport seat in leather and similar issues the first 3 months. Mostly lower back on drives over 1 hour. There were threads about this and some remedies.

surprisingly, the back issues have gone away now in the past few months so not as big of an issue currently. I've driven long distances for hours. The F30 seats seem comfortable but aren't compared to past cars where I never had issues.

some simple non wallet crushing solutions is to try working on core exercises for a month.
focal is offline   Canada
      07-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
kapkanimd
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 328i Sedan

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=847823
kapkanimd is offline   United_States
      07-16-2014, 04:39 PM   #4
ibimmer346
Major

Drives: 2013 650i GC, 2002 M3

Garage List
2002 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW 650i GC  [0.00]
How about buying a quality back-support pad? Yes, it won't be integrated into the seat. But if will be way cheaper than anything you do that modifies the seat. I did that for my Jetta when I discovered it didn't have enough lumbar support for me.
ibimmer346 is offline   United_States
      07-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #5
rjpeaks
Lieutenant

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport 6pd

i think i would try ibim's idea first before swapping da seats.

i agree - my recaros in my last car were much much better
      07-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #6
kxf82489
Registered

Drives: 335 XI

To be honest the lumbar does wonders. once you dial it in. The 5 hr car ride would be more enjoyable
      07-18-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
GOLFFRR
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: Golf Cart

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoeba View Post
I'm having back problems recently and I'm pretty sure it's related to the new F30 leatherette seats. I have the sport non-premium version so no lumbar. The seat also sits more like a bucket and the stuffing material is much softer compared to the leather version, not providing enough support to the back. After driving about 15 minutes my upper back would start hurting because it's taking all the weight, even makes me a bit nauseous. Never had any problems before switching to the F30 a month ago.

Now I'm thinking if I can just swap out the entire driver side seat for a premium leather version with lumbar. Where's a good place to buy the whole seat? I priced it out and it looks like $3k+ to buy it direct from BMW. I guess you can't put a price on your back...
If you are looking for a new OEM set up with install we can help you out. Im sure there are a ton of other factors involved in changing a seat which I am not very familiar with since I am not a part guy but if you want to contact Jon our parts guy at jon@bmwpartspros.com and let him know what your looking to do he can give you a break down of all the parts labor etc.. needed

if not have you considered a aftermarket seat? maybe something by Recaro or something along that line

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->http://www.bimmerdavid.com/#!blank/c1r1e
Davids current ED Special M235/228--> http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013211
      07-23-2014, 06:54 PM   #8
amoeba
Private First Class

Drives: E46 330i zhp, F30 335-MSport

Update: I tried every lumbar support pillows/pads/arches possible. While they do help support the lower back, the upper back is now hanging in midair and causes different kind of aches. Basically the add-ons protrude too much and end up pressuring into your back.

I'm now exploring the lumbar retrofit option (thx for the link), whole seat exchange, or yoga...