F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Irregular squeak on brakes
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-20-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
garethjonesuk
New Member
1
Rep
22
Posts

 
Drives: F20 118d M Sport/F30 320d Lux
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Uk

iTrader: (0)

Irregular squeak on brakes

I was wandering if anyone has an issue with the brakes squeaking. It's not always and it seems to be when turning and braking to a stop at not a particularly fast speed 20mph. BMW heard it but on inspection could not find a problem.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:10 PM   #2
rjberry
Captain
rjberry's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
766
Posts

 
Drives: M5 Singapore Grey
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Wales

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 M5  [4.50]
Funnily enough I had the same problem pointed out to me today. I don't know how long it's been going on but there's a definite squeak coming from the passenger side front brake on turning at slow speeds.

I'd just put it down to the new brakes needing time to bed in a bit. Ill probably just call into my dealership at some point just to make sure it's nothing more serious
__________________
M5 Singapore Grey with Sakhir Orange interior
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 01:39 PM   #3
ybbiz34
Moderator
ybbiz34's Avatar
181
Rep
4,714
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjberry View Post
Funnily enough I had the same problem pointed out to me today. I don't know how long it's been going on but there's a definite squeak coming from the passenger side front brake on turning at slow speeds.
I have exactly the same issue.

It has been getting less obnoxious though. Hopefully it's just part of breaking in the brakes.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Im1
Private
0
Rep
85
Posts

 
Drives: F10 520d se
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

F30 low speed brake squeal

I am also encountering brake squeal coming from the passenger side front during low speed braking
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 02:52 PM   #5
justinnum1
Brigadier General
63
Rep
4,007
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

take it to the dealer.
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #6
JUSKIDN
Lieutenant
JUSKIDN's Avatar
United_States
15
Rep
562
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 EBII 328i M Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Baton Rouge, LA

iTrader: (0)

it needs to be checked out by the dealer, either way.
__________________
It's not illegal. It's frowned upon, like masturbating on an airplane.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 01:36 AM   #7
rjberry
Captain
rjberry's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
766
Posts

 
Drives: M5 Singapore Grey
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Wales

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 M5  [4.50]
After taking my car into the dealers they gave the brakes a look over, blew some air over them and since then the problem seems to have gone away.

I'll keep an ear out just to make sure but it seems fine
__________________
M5 Singapore Grey with Sakhir Orange interior
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 03:44 AM   #8
Thrillbilly
Rear Admiral
Thrillbilly's Avatar
Belgium
4
Rep
286
Posts

 
Drives: Bavarian Milk Wagon
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lago

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2013 335ix  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybbiz34 View Post
I have exactly the same issue.

It has been getting less obnoxious though. Hopefully it's just part of breaking in the brakes.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
ybbiz34
Moderator
ybbiz34's Avatar
181
Rep
4,714
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thrillbilly View Post
+1
I had to have my passenger-side rear brake pad replaced because it was glazed.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #10
Elk
Major
12
Rep
1,275
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

iTrader: (0)

This appears to be more a bedding problem than glazing.

Glazing typically occurs with people that ride the brakes when driving, long gentle braking down an extended mountain road and the like. The hard glaze can cause a loss of braking, but it typically results in more of a grating sound than squealing.

I suggest doing a Google search for "bed brake pads" and going through the process. Even if bedded in properly to start, re-bedding can solve a lot of subsequent issues.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 07:04 PM   #11
Number
Number's Avatar
32
Rep
1,235
Posts

 
Drives: ✚
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: ✚ ✚

iTrader: (1)

I had the same issue. It got obnoxiously loud. I bought a can of brakleen and sprayed the brakes and it seems to have resolved the problem for now.
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #12
ybbiz34
Moderator
ybbiz34's Avatar
181
Rep
4,714
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 C63 AMG Sedan
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
This appears to be more a bedding problem than glazing.

Glazing typically occurs with people that ride the brakes when driving, long gentle braking down an extended mountain road and the like. The hard glaze can cause a loss of braking, but it typically results in more of a grating sound than squealing.

I suggest doing a Google search for "bed brake pads" and going through the process. Even if bedded in properly to start, re-bedding can solve a lot of subsequent issues.
I was just going by what the BMW tech told me.
__________________
'13 Iridium Silver C63 AMG Sedan (540 hp; 500 lb-ft)
Appreciate 0
      10-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #13
Roki_014
Major
33
Rep
1,231
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

hey I posted about the same thing here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755238

I am going to give it couple more days before I take it to the dealer
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2012, 12:38 PM   #14
Roki_014
Major
33
Rep
1,231
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

hey any luck with this, i took my car in this morning , and they said the technican drove the car and hes like it is normal for sport brakes to squeak under light braking, and I was like " do you expect me to brake hard at every light so that they don't squeak" lol , hes like well look more into it now and will call me later
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 04:00 AM   #15
Ozolz
Private First Class
5
Rep
128
Posts

 
Drives: 116i m-sport 2014
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Sweden

iTrader: (0)

Just curious, i noticed this insane high pitch squealing first time today. Car has gone about 6000km, never any noise from brakes.

Could sudden cold weather cause the squealing?
And is this more likely to happen if you got automatic transmission?

Today was the first "real" winter day with -16 C. Not one of my 5+ BMW cars Ive owned in the past had any brake noise when it got cold outside. They were all manual transmission though.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
KQ335XF30
BMWCCA #470039
KQ335XF30's Avatar
3
Rep
77
Posts

 
Drives: F30-335XDRIVE
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
hey any luck with this, i took my car in this morning , and they said the technican drove the car and hes like it is normal for sport brakes to squeak under light braking, and I was like " do you expect me to brake hard at every light so that they don't squeak" lol , hes like well look more into it now and will call me later
Interesting.

I live in Chicago also and drive a 2013-335F30XDRIVE with about 500 miles on it and I notice the brakes only squeak if the temperature is cold (approx 40 F or below).

I have not heard anything squeaking in the past 2-3 days while the weather has been above 50F.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
howiegu
Member
howiegu's Avatar
United_States
2
Rep
126
Posts

 
Drives: 13' 335xi Msport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

I had the exactly the same issue since day one (13' 335xi, a month ago with 7 miles).
A month later after putting on 1,200 miles, it was gone for good.
thinking back, the brakes were very dusty, i have gone through quite few car washes. the initial wearing plus the clean up took care of it.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #18
Roki_014
Major
33
Rep
1,231
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KQ335XF30 View Post
Interesting.

I live in Chicago also and drive a 2013-335F30XDRIVE with about 500 miles on it and I notice the brakes only squeak if the temperature is cold (approx 40 F or below).

I have not heard anything squeaking in the past 2-3 days while the weather has been above 50F.
my brakes have been fixed about a month ago, and haven't had the problem since
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:30 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST