F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20 and N26 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Custom exhaust!
TAG Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-01-2012, 08:58 AM   #1
slmdgee
Usofstance
 
Drives: 328I 6SPD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island

Posts: 621
iTrader: (0)

Custom exhaust!

So i am really interested in a quad tip exhaust! So i was looking around and i think i might get an aftermarket e46 quad tip muffler, and just buy 3inch straight pipe tubing to my downpipe!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E46-M3-Stain...fbb0f2&vxp=mtr
__________________
2013 328i 6MT Bagged|Stage 1|BBS Wheels|

IG Stu_Usofstance

United States Of Stance

Last edited by slmdgee; 12-01-2012 at 09:04 AM.
slmdgee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Joshhleee
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30 328 jet black/coral sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Socal

Posts: 264
iTrader: (0)

not a bad idea.. sounds very interesting, the quads on the e46 m3 are a quite small though, is there anything a little bigger?
Joshhleee is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2012, 06:00 PM   #3
slmdgee
Usofstance
 
Drives: 328I 6SPD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island

Posts: 621
iTrader: (0)

Honestly it would be, but i think in the end it might be cheaper to just buy a legit exhaust? I could be wrong.
__________________
2013 328i 6MT Bagged|Stage 1|BBS Wheels|

IG Stu_Usofstance

United States Of Stance
slmdgee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
topcat87
Banned
 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Here

Posts: 357
iTrader: (3)

Hey slm, have u tuned ur car yet?
topcat87 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2012, 09:17 AM   #5
slmdgee
Usofstance
 
Drives: 328I 6SPD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island

Posts: 621
iTrader: (0)

Nope I didn't. My friend knows someone at giac which I might get the 93 octane tune and do testing!! So will see what happens
__________________
2013 328i 6MT Bagged|Stage 1|BBS Wheels|

IG Stu_Usofstance

United States Of Stance
slmdgee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 05:36 AM   #6
Deuk
Almost 40 years BMW driver
 
Drives: BMW 328i / F30
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Netherlands

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

I already found the name: Swiss-Chiptech.com. located in Konstanz, Germany.
Thnx.
__________________
Almost 40 years of BMW-fun: 2002ti (1975), 316 (1980), 320i (1985), 525i (1989), 535i (1994), 325ti E46 (2002), 325i E90 (2007), 328i F30 (2012)
Deuk is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #7
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
 
tiltmode43's Avatar
 
Drives: AW F30 328i & IB E85 Z4M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 497
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to tiltmode43
Interesting idea, but keep in mind hanger location, bumper outlets/openings, etc.

I would maybe speak with a shop with this sort of experience and see what ideas they may have for a custom quad exhaust.

Good luck!
__________________
-Matt

@violetnites
tiltmode43 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

Posts: 3,447
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmdgee View Post
So i am really interested in a quad tip exhaust!
http://www.f30driver.com/forum/showthread.php?t=947274
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
David328M-Sport is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 09:27 PM   #9
MCD
Private
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: São Paulo - Brazil

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Hi, I'm about to buy the Afe exhaust sistem, do any of you who already had an sport exhaust instlled felt a less low end torque?! I love the hard push at pow emd rpms, and don't want to loose it....

Thanks!
MCD is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 09:55 PM   #10
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,535
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCD View Post
Hi, I'm about to buy the Afe exhaust sistem, do any of you who already had an sport exhaust instlled felt a less low end torque?! I love the hard push at pow emd rpms, and don't want to loose it....

Thanks!
I had a nearly 20ft lb gain on the dyno. No loss anywhere.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2012, 10:56 PM   #11
MCD
Private
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: São Paulo - Brazil

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCD View Post
Hi, I'm about to buy the Afe exhaust sistem, do any of you who already had an sport exhaust instlled felt a less low end torque?! I love the hard push at pow emd rpms, and don't want to loose it....

Thanks!
I had a nearly 20ft lb gain on the dyno. No loss anywhere.
Thank you very much!i was afraid of loosing low end tq, but now you just made my day, lol...

Thanks again!
MCD is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 03:10 PM   #12
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
 
tiltmode43's Avatar
 
Drives: AW F30 328i & IB E85 Z4M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 497
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to tiltmode43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I had a nearly 20ft lb gain on the dyno. No loss anywhere.
A little off topic but damn, 20ft-lb at the wheels from just catback? I thought the OE piping wasn't too restrictive but damn, that's impressive! This much gain without tune?
__________________
-Matt

@violetnites
tiltmode43 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,535
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiltmode43 View Post
A little off topic but damn, 20ft-lb at the wheels from just catback? I thought the OE piping wasn't too restrictive but damn, that's impressive! This much gain without tune?
Yep bone stock. 20ft lbs was with the muffler bypass open, I think it was like 16lbs with it closed.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2012, 11:35 PM   #14
tiltmode43
I plead the 5th.
 
tiltmode43's Avatar
 
Drives: AW F30 328i & IB E85 Z4M
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 497
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to tiltmode43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Yep bone stock. 20ft lbs was with the muffler bypass open, I think it was like 16lbs with it closed.
That's excellent to hear! And here I was, thinking catbacks on this car were primarily for sound. Boy, was I wrong!
__________________
-Matt

@violetnites
tiltmode43 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 08:23 AM   #15
MCD
Private
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: São Paulo - Brazil

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Yep bone stock. 20ft lbs was with the muffler bypass open, I think it was like 16lbs with it closed.
This muffler bypass that you're talking about is the valve located on the exhaust tip or is it anything else?!
How can I get rid of it without any problem or check light?!

Thank you!
MCD is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,535
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCD View Post
This muffler bypass that you're talking about is the valve located on the exhaust tip or is it anything else?!
How can I get rid of it without any problem or check light?!

Thank you!
It's right on the side of the muffler, nice and easy to reach down and do, no tools needed. You can also add an electric cut-out option for extra money.

No Check light, no problems.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #17
MCD
Private
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: São Paulo - Brazil

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

I have a catless downpipe, and gave the sport exhaust a try... 2 hours later I got back to the shop and told them to take it out of the car... The only thing I liked was high rpms and the burp when you change gears, really awesome! BUT, for daily driving, in the 2-3,5k RPM range it was just impossible to use... It was too loud and the drone was terrible. I was told to put some more resonators, but the noise really isn't for me.
Just the catless DP already gave the car a different sound. I also felt a little less low end torque.
I just disabled the valve and now the car has a good sound, and a little burp in gear change... Now I'm happy.

Cheers
MCD is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      01-07-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
slmdgee
Usofstance
 
Drives: 328I 6SPD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island

Posts: 621
iTrader: (0)

can u post a video?
__________________
2013 328i 6MT Bagged|Stage 1|BBS Wheels|

IG Stu_Usofstance

United States Of Stance
slmdgee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #19
MCD
Private
 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: São Paulo - Brazil

Posts: 53
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmdgee View Post
can u post a video?
I will try to do it today and post here
MCD is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      01-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #20
slmdgee
Usofstance
 
Drives: 328I 6SPD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island

Posts: 621
iTrader: (0)

Okay dope.
__________________
2013 328i 6MT Bagged|Stage 1|BBS Wheels|

IG Stu_Usofstance

United States Of Stance
slmdgee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 11:01 AM   #21
1GrayBulldog
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 135i
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Durham, NC

Posts: 113
iTrader: (1)

Speaking of custom exhausts, I've decided to take one for the team and be the first brave soul (that I'm aware of at least) to do a muffler delete on the N20.

After some standard ride-related mods, my F30 328i M-Sport drives like a dream (H&R Sports with BMS spacers 12mm front and 15mm rear, and Kumho Ecsta max performance non-RFT's on 18" Style 400M). I've also had a BMS Stage 1 for about a month and I've got all the power I need at the moment. My only remaining disappointment is the complete lack of exhaust note from the N20, and the fact that there's still a ways to go in the aftermarket before I can settle on which catback system I want to go with. After hearing the clips that are popping up of the PE system, I've noticed that the PE has a considerable amount of burbles and pops, and is pretty darn loud too. I'm convinced that there's not going to be a substantial difference from the PE to a straight muffler delete on the N20 so I'm gonna give it a shot.

I've ordered black 135i tips from Turner which apparently fit onto our stock pipes with little to no modification, and I plan on replacing just the muffler section of the stock exhaust. So this setup will be stock everything, which includes the cat, resonators, mid-pipes, etc., and also leaving the post-muffler exhaust flap/valve actuator in place. My thought is that leaving the flap/valve in conjunction with selecting Eco-Pro will provide a crude 'stealth-mode' option once the muffler is gone.

When the tips come in I'll take the car down to the local muffler shop and get some vids up shortly after everything is done. I'm thinking the work will probably take place over the weekend so stay tuned...
1GrayBulldog is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2013, 11:04 AM   #22
slmdgee
Usofstance
 
Drives: 328I 6SPD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island

Posts: 621
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormtrooper328i View Post
Speaking of custom exhausts, I've decided to take one for the team and be the first brave soul (that I'm aware of at least) to do a muffler delete on the N20.

After some standard ride-related mods, my F30 328i M-Sport drives like a dream (H&R Sports with BMS spacers 12mm front and 15mm rear, and Kumho Ecsta max performance non-RFT's on 18" Style 400M). I've also had a BMS Stage 1 for about a month and I've got all the power I need at the moment. My only remaining disappointment is the complete lack of exhaust note from the N20, and the fact that there's still a ways to go in the aftermarket before I can settle on which catback system I want to go with. After hearing the clips that are popping up of the PE system, I've noticed that the PE has a considerable amount of burbles and pops, and is pretty darn loud too. I'm convinced that there's not going to be a substantial difference from the PE to a straight muffler delete on the N20 so I'm gonna give it a shot.

I've ordered black 135i tips from Turner which apparently fit onto our stock pipes with little to no modification, and I plan on replacing just the muffler section of the stock exhaust. So this setup will be stock everything, which includes the cat, resonators, mid-pipes, etc., and also leaving the post-muffler exhaust flap/valve actuator in place. My thought is that leaving the flap/valve in conjunction with selecting Eco-Pro will provide a crude 'stealth-mode' option once the muffler is gone.

When the tips come in I'll take the car down to the local muffler shop and get some vids up shortly after everything is done. I'm thinking the work will probably take place over the weekend so stay tuned...


Awesome bro, i cant wait for you to do this!
__________________
2013 328i 6MT Bagged|Stage 1|BBS Wheels|

IG Stu_Usofstance

United States Of Stance
slmdgee is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:35 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST