F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20 and N26 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > JB4 Map 2 with intake and NO exhaust mod, ok?
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-14-2014, 11:39 PM   #1
teapain
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

JB4 Map 2 with intake and NO exhaust mod, ok?

Hey guys

Would it be ok if I run JB4 Map 2 on 92 octane, cone intake but NO exhaust/dp mod?

I currently have Injen intake on Map 2 with Active Autowerkes exhaust but am thinking about going back to stock exhaust since the exhaust droning is starting to actually give me serious headaches after work in city traffic. It sounds effin' amazing from the outside but in the cabin, it can be such a nuisance.

Any thoughts? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 11:49 PM   #2
rustyminded
Captain
rustyminded's Avatar
10
Rep
876
Posts

 
Drives: bmw 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: C

iTrader: (0)

what dp do you have, what 92 ron or U.S fuel ? I have exact setup & sometimes it doesn't drone very odd
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 12:17 AM   #3
teapain
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

I'm in Seattle, WA. It doesn't always drone, just at certain rpm under load. Seattle has lots of hills (like San Francisco) so it's especially bad going up hill...and down.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #4
rustyminded
Captain
rustyminded's Avatar
10
Rep
876
Posts

 
Drives: bmw 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: C

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post
I'm in Seattle, WA. It doesn't always drone, just at certain rpm under load. Seattle has lots of hills (like San Francisco) so it's especially bad going up hill...and down.
Ahh, which downpipe you installed the ER or the AFE ?
__________________
F30 328i - 8 auto.. JB4-EWG harness, OCC, Injen Intake, AFE Scoop, AFE dp, AA axle-back - H&R springs, Front Strut, F&R BMS spacers..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #5
teapain
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyminded View Post
Ahh, which downpipe you installed the ER or the AFE ?
No downpipe. So my question is whether is OK to use map 2 WITHOUT any exhaust modifications, as in NO downpipe or exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2014, 01:48 PM   #6
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
180
Rep
8,704
Posts


 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post
No downpipe. So my question is whether is OK to use map 2 WITHOUT any exhaust modifications, as in NO downpipe or exhaust.
Hi,
I have seen guys run map no with no exhaust modifications.
But BMS strongly recommend that you do not do it unless you have catless DP.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 04:13 AM   #7
teapain
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Hi,
I have seen guys run map no with no exhaust modifications.
But BMS strongly recommend that you do not do it unless you have catless DP.
You mean Map 2? Catless DP aint gonna happen living in downtown Seattle where everyone drives a Prius or Tesla.

Oh well, I'll just keep chuggin along and see what happens...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 11:02 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
180
Rep
8,704
Posts


 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post
You mean Map 2? Catless DP aint gonna happen living in downtown Seattle where everyone drives a Prius or Tesla.

Oh well, I'll just keep chuggin along and see what happens...
Yes i mean map 2.
If you cant get DP then stick with map 1.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:38 PM   #9
DarkAngel922
Private
United_States
0
Rep
68
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 F30 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Baldwin Park, CA

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Yes i mean map 2.
If you cant get DP then stick with map 1.
I have DP, CP and intercooler but only 91-octane gas. Can I run map 2?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 01:40 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
180
Rep
8,704
Posts


 
Drives: 2007 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkAngel922 View Post
I have DP, CP and intercooler but only 91-octane gas. Can I run map 2?
Burger tuning suggests 93 octane.
But yea with the mods that you have, you can run map 2
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #11
S4NoMore
First Lieutenant
S4NoMore's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
392
Posts

 
Drives: 12 328i 6MT, 91 318i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1991 BMW 318i  [4.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Terry advises against it, I would say it's not worth the added risk for 1 extra psi. If you haven't found his forum, there's an N20 JB4 thread with lots of info here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15536

If you're wanting the extra boost without the extra noise, have you considered running a downpipe with the factory catback? I've done this on other 4-cyl turbo cars and the stock muffler typically still does a great job keeping the noise civil. There's always the high-flow catted downpipe options for emissions purposes (Wagner@$650, ER@$900, Remus @$1300 - all indicate a 200-cell metallic catalytic converter) though I have yet to see anyone post up their experiences with fit and finish.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 02:57 PM   #12
teapain
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
Terry advises against it, I would say it's not worth the added risk for 1 extra psi. If you haven't found his forum, there's an N20 JB4 thread with lots of info here: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15536

If you're wanting the extra boost without the extra noise, have you considered running a downpipe with the factory catback? I've done this on other 4-cyl turbo cars and the stock muffler typically still does a great job keeping the noise civil. There's always the high-flow catted downpipe options for emissions purposes (Wagner@$650, ER@$900, Remus @$1300 - all indicate a 200-cell metallic catalytic converter) though I have yet to see anyone post up their experiences with fit and finish.
Yeah, I definitely have looked at the DP with stock catback option but I keep reading about the smell. Though, not sure if that's with stock exhaust or aftermarket...Would the smell the very bad with stock catback?

I drive downtown a lot at low speed and there's always pedestrians and cyclists in very close proximity, so just want to be mindful of them.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #13
S4NoMore
First Lieutenant
S4NoMore's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
392
Posts

 
Drives: 12 328i 6MT, 91 318i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1991 BMW 318i  [4.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post
Yeah, I definitely have looked at the DP with stock catback option but I keep reading about the smell. Though, not sure if that's with stock exhaust or aftermarket...Would the smell the very bad with stock catback?

I drive downtown a lot at low speed and there's always pedestrians and cyclists in very close proximity, so just want to be mindful of them.
The smell comes from catless downpipes of course, and is not a real issue if you go for a high-flow downpipe with catalytic converter. The catback, factory or aftermarket, will only affect noise and not the smell.

In terms of the catless option, I can't speak to the N20 directly, but in general although the smell is going to be somewhat noticeable it really isn't a terrible smell - it isn't as if the car will reek like a diesel truck or the exhaust will look dark. Some enjoy the smell, I don't mind it.

When you fire up the car with a cold engine, it runs rich (among other adjustments) for smooth warm-up etc. and this rich condition will produce the most smell (unburnt hydrocarbons and whatnot). Once you're driving normally, the smell will hardly be noticeable to passersby in the city. When you really rip it, going wide-open throttle and revving up near the limit it'll also smell a bit, but this is generally going to be on the highway. You seem like a mindful individual who isn't going to be a terror to the streets of Seattle, so I doubt it would be an issue.

I wouldn't be afraid of the smell, the issue is passing inspection and whether you care enough about harming the environment. Personally I don't intend to go down the catless route anymore, simply because I want my car fully legal without added hassle, and I do enjoy driving a little cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #14
teapain
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
The smell comes from catless downpipes of course, and is not a real issue if you go for a high-flow downpipe with catalytic converter. The catback, factory or aftermarket, will only affect noise and not the smell.

In terms of the catless option, I can't speak to the N20 directly, but in general although the smell is going to be somewhat noticeable it really isn't a terrible smell - it isn't as if the car will reek like a diesel truck or the exhaust will look dark. Some enjoy the smell, I don't mind it.

When you fire up the car with a cold engine, it runs rich (among other adjustments) for smooth warm-up etc. and this rich condition will produce the most smell (unburnt hydrocarbons and whatnot). Once you're driving normally, the smell will hardly be noticeable to passersby in the city. When you really rip it, going wide-open throttle and revving up near the limit it'll also smell a bit, but this is generally going to be on the highway. You seem like a mindful individual who isn't going to be a terror to the streets of Seattle, so I doubt it would be an issue.

I wouldn't be afraid of the smell, the issue is passing inspection and whether you care enough about harming the environment. Personally I don't intend to go down the catless route anymore, simply because I want my car fully legal without added hassle, and I do enjoy driving a little cleaner.
Man, thanks for the insight. And I agreed 100% on your last paragraph. Guess it'll be Map 1 with stock catback for a while...
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2014, 08:18 PM   #15
S4NoMore
First Lieutenant
S4NoMore's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
392
Posts

 
Drives: 12 328i 6MT, 91 318i
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Philly suburbs

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1991 BMW 318i  [4.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teapain View Post
Man, thanks for the insight. And I agreed 100% on your last paragraph. Guess it'll be Map 1 with stock catback for a while...
No problem. Though I can't say I'm not curious about how any DP might sound with the stock muffler! Perhaps I'll have to give it a shot. The other thing I considered is a remote electronically operated valve welded into the exhaust, to dump straight after the stock DP, for the ability to go from loud to stock. But I've read of the risk for leaks, which would be frustrating.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:47 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST