F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Hit raccoon - Insurance claim?
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-18-2016, 11:20 AM   #1
AC792
Lieutenant
AC792's Avatar
22
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (4)

Hit raccoon - Insurance claim?

Hi guys, I hit a raccoon last night and it ended up putting a little crack in my bumper. I am thinking of filing a claim through insurance to get a new bumper. My comprehensive deductible is only $250, so it wouldn't be too bad.

Question for all of you though. I have a sportline F30 and if I'm going to get a new bumper, I'd like to do the M-Sport bumper. Anyone have any recommendations on how I could get the shop to replace with the M-Sport bumper? I know I can't just swap the OEM M-Sport bumper on but there are reps out there that fit on the sportline that I'd like to get if possible. I hear some insurance companies will only replace the exact part number that is on the car, but maybe you guys have some experience or insight to put forth. My insurance is State Farm for what it's worth.

Thanks!
__________________
Now: 2012 F30 335i / 6MT / JB4 / ER Catless DP
Sold: 2010 Jeep GC SRT8
Sold: 2007 E90 335i / 6MT / JB4 / Vishnu Exhaust / VMR 710 19" / BMS DCI / HKS Blow Off Valve / Tinted Tails / Clutch Stop
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 11:52 AM   #2
dave405nyc
New Member
1
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: 2013 328xi
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: NYC

iTrader: (0)

Just have the insurance company write out a check to your name, and use the money to pay whatever shop you go with, letting them know that you want the m-sport bumper.
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2016, 11:57 AM   #3
AC792
Lieutenant
AC792's Avatar
22
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave405nyc View Post
Just have the insurance company write out a check to your name, and use the money to pay whatever shop you go with, letting them know that you want the m-sport bumper.
Is it really that easy? That sounds ideal!
__________________
Now: 2012 F30 335i / 6MT / JB4 / ER Catless DP
Sold: 2010 Jeep GC SRT8
Sold: 2007 E90 335i / 6MT / JB4 / Vishnu Exhaust / VMR 710 19" / BMS DCI / HKS Blow Off Valve / Tinted Tails / Clutch Stop
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #4
exl_ent_v6
BMW-Noob
exl_ent_v6's Avatar
United_States
89
Rep
411
Posts

Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Central FL

iTrader: (0)

If you owe money on the car, likely the insurance company won't write a check out to you. I went through this a year ago.

However, when you go get your car repaired, before they order the part ask for the M-Sport bumper. They should be able to provide you the difference in price (if any) and you just have to pay the difference out of pocket. The insurance company will cut them a check for the original replacement part.

I did this with my front bumper - I need new grills and I had them buy the "black" M-performance grills instead. I just paid the difference.
__________________
2015 428i Gran Coupe M-Sport
- Glacier Silver - Premium Pkg - Tech Pkg - Driver Assistance Plus - ACC - HK Sound - Heated Seats - M-Performance Grills
Appreciate 1
      11-18-2016, 12:22 PM   #5
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant
United_States
45
Rep
564
Posts

Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (2)

Is your car leased or purchased? Upon return, leased vehicles will be thoroughly inspected and you may be asked to pay for the cost of returning the vehicle to OEM condition.

If you own the vehicle, it's your decision of course. Almost every insurance company that I know will send a representative to the body shop to inspect the final work product. Using a different bumper will raise eye brows.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #6
hollandog
Captain
hollandog's Avatar
United_States
171
Rep
789
Posts

Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: nyc

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [4.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfm56d7b View Post
Is your car leased or purchased? Upon return, leased vehicles will be thoroughly inspected and you may be asked to pay for the cost of returning the vehicle to OEM condition.

If you own the vehicle, it's your decision of course. Almost every insurance company that I know will send a representative to the body shop to inspect the final work product. Using a different bumper will raise eye brows.
Not sure how much of a car guy those inspectors are, they will notice sport bumper vs m sport bumper?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:34 PM   #7
AC792
Lieutenant
AC792's Avatar
22
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (4)

The car is not leased, but it is financed - also through State Farm.

I will take it to get a quote and see what they say.
__________________
Now: 2012 F30 335i / 6MT / JB4 / ER Catless DP
Sold: 2010 Jeep GC SRT8
Sold: 2007 E90 335i / 6MT / JB4 / Vishnu Exhaust / VMR 710 19" / BMS DCI / HKS Blow Off Valve / Tinted Tails / Clutch Stop
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:46 PM   #8
GarlicBread
Brigadier General
GarlicBread's Avatar
United_States
16
Rep
322
Posts

Drives: f30 335 xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Providence, RI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave405nyc View Post
Just have the insurance company write out a check to your name, and use the money to pay whatever shop you go with, letting them know that you want the m-sport bumper.
This is 100% the correct answer
__________________

F30 335 Sport Line |Ext Mineral Gray | Int Coral Red | xDrive | premium | cold weather | technology
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:14 PM   #9
chiefneil
Captain
United_States
199
Rep
795
Posts

Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC792 View Post
Is it really that easy? That sounds ideal!
Somebody backed into my wife's brand new X5 in a drivethrough (don't even ask me how they thought backing up in a bumper to bumper drivethrough was a thing).

We got an estimate from a shop, but my wife decided she could live with the tiny ding so we just requested a check from insurance. Around 2k IIRC.

We actually just worked through our insurance company and presumably they went after the other driver's insurance. I had gotten a witness at the time so there was no dispute over fault.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:22 PM   #10
my428i
New Member
2
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 16 BMW 428i coupe
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Orange County

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC792 View Post
The car is not leased, but it is financed - also through State Farm.

I will take it to get a quote and see what they say.
State Farm will write out a check to you.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 01:55 PM   #11
AC792
Lieutenant
AC792's Avatar
22
Rep
523
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 335i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Kansas City, MO

iTrader: (4)

Thanks for all the information guys. Does a comprehensive claim show up on a Carfax or Autocheck report? I don't want my car labeled as being in an accident for hitting a raccoon.
__________________
Now: 2012 F30 335i / 6MT / JB4 / ER Catless DP
Sold: 2010 Jeep GC SRT8
Sold: 2007 E90 335i / 6MT / JB4 / Vishnu Exhaust / VMR 710 19" / BMS DCI / HKS Blow Off Valve / Tinted Tails / Clutch Stop
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 02:17 PM   #12
mbfanos
Second Lieutenant
31
Rep
227
Posts

Drives: 328i
Join Date: May 2014
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
Somebody backed into my wife's brand new X5 in a drivethrough (don't even ask me how they thought backing up in a bumper to bumper drivethrough was a thing).

We got an estimate from a shop, but my wife decided she could live with the tiny ding so we just requested a check from insurance. Around 2k IIRC.

We actually just worked through our insurance company and presumably they went after the other driver's insurance. I had gotten a witness at the time so there was no dispute over fault.
Wait, if you get a check and not fix it, the insurance company does not do anything against you?
What happens when there is another ding?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 04:30 PM   #13
Billfitz
Lieutenant Colonel
340
Rep
1,505
Posts

Drives: 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbfanos View Post
Wait, if you get a check and not fix it, the insurance company does not do anything against you?
What happens when there is another ding?
If there's another ding you have to prove that the damage they paid for was fixed before said ding occurred. They might even insist on having the car inspected before renewing the policy. Like the TV commercial says, they've seen this before.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 08:29 PM   #14
Kabrich
Major
United_States
137
Rep
1,398
Posts

Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC792 View Post
Hi guys, I hit a raccoon last night and it ended up putting a little crack in my bumper. I am thinking of filing a claim through insurance to get a new bumper. My comprehensive deductible is only $250, so it wouldn't be too bad.

Question for all of you though. I have a sportline F30 and if I'm going to get a new bumper, I'd like to do the M-Sport bumper. Anyone have any recommendations on how I could get the shop to replace with the M-Sport bumper? I know I can't just swap the OEM M-Sport bumper on but there are reps out there that fit on the sportline that I'd like to get if possible. I hear some insurance companies will only replace the exact part number that is on the car, but maybe you guys have some experience or insight to put forth. My insurance is State Farm for what it's worth.

Thanks!
From your description hard to tell how bad or exactly where the damage is, but are you sure they are going to replace the bumper in the repair to begin with?

As it is a 5 year old car, I can see where they might try to repair in other ways.

Also, I would search web for a calculator to tell you if it's worth filing insurance for - as it could potentially raise your rates for up to 5 years.

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Bumper

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...ghlight=Bumper

Last edited by Kabrich; 11-18-2016 at 08:51 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 08:36 PM   #15
lo_xyooj
Private First Class
lo_xyooj's Avatar
18
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: Alpine 335i XDrive
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: MKE

iTrader: (0)

I would personally opt in for the M3 bumper and skip the Msport bumper, if allowed that would be a no brainer and pay the difference.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 08:52 PM   #16
Kabrich
Major
United_States
137
Rep
1,398
Posts

Drives: '13 AH3 (335IH) 3F93 MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo_xyooj View Post
I would personally opt in for the M3 bumper and skip the Msport bumper, if allowed that would be a no brainer and pay the difference.
Yeah and get the M3 badges to put on your car while you are at it.
__________________
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #17
lo_xyooj
Private First Class
lo_xyooj's Avatar
18
Rep
131
Posts

Drives: Alpine 335i XDrive
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: MKE

iTrader: (0)

LOL Yeah the badges is the most important part.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 05:35 PM   #18
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
ronanz's Avatar
United_States
573
Rep
1,490
Posts

Drives: '14 435i FBO ACF S2
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Southwest Region

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabrich View Post
Yeah and get the M3 badges to put on your car while you are at it.

.....
Attached Images
 
__________________
.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:22 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST