F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Custom Plates - Is This Tacky?
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-21-2015, 01:48 PM   #1
murrays
New Member
4
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: '02 325i
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Custom Plates - Is This Tacky?

I've got a Mineral Grey M Sport 335i on order and been thinking of custom plates. I'm on the fence as to whether this will be too tacky or not.

First, the background: I've been an Apple fan since I bought my first Mac in '86 and only became more of a fan since purchasing some Apple stock in '98 at a current cost basis of $1.15

So the plates I'm considering: THX AAPL

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
Billfitz
First Lieutenant
33
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

A vanity plate makes you a douche in the eyes of those who don't have one, but driving a Bimmer makes you a douche in the eyes of those who don't drive one, so what the heck. Unless you live in a neighborhood where being perceived as a douche leads to jealous jerks vandalizing your car, in which case you might not want to appear to them to be a double douche, therefore doubling their reasons to do your car ill.
      04-21-2015, 01:57 PM   #3
pheerix
Second Lieutenant
24
Rep
250
Posts

Drives: 435 GC
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: California

iTrader: (0)

A personalized plate is well, personalized so completely up to you. Personally I don't like the idea of having a memorable license plate in case some weirdo wants to track me down.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 02:04 PM   #4
tex2670
Second Lieutenant
tex2670's Avatar
22
Rep
269
Posts

Drives: '14 328xi Sport Line
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
A vanity plate makes you a douche in the eyes of those who don't have one, but driving a Bimmer makes you a douche in the eyes of those who don't drive one, so what the heck. Unless you live in a neighborhood where being perceived as a douche leads to jealous jerks vandalizing your car, in which case you might not want to appear to them to be a double douche, therefore doubling their reasons to do your car ill.
Maybe a little blunt, but I agree that the vanity plate concept is pretty polarizing. Of course, those that get one like them; many that don't have them would never get them.

A personalized plate that shows off your investing prowess may not go over well with some.

I don't have any problem with personalized plates--I'm kind of partial to humorous plates. My neighbor has a Tesla with a plate that says "Chrg Me".
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Shift Paddles
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 02:06 PM   #5
tturedraider
Captain
tturedraider's Avatar
United_States
45
Rep
964
Posts

Drives: '06 Sonora 330i NA N52 :-)
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Chicago, north shore (via Tennessee & Texas)

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrays View Post
I've got a Mineral Grey M Sport 335i on order and been thinking of custom plates. I'm on the fence as to whether this will be too tacky or not.

First, the background: I've been an Apple fan since I bought my first Mac in '86 and only became more of a fan since purchasing some Apple stock in '98 at a current cost basis of $1.15

So the plates I'm considering: THX AAPL

Thoughts?
Looks good to me.
__________________
2006 330i Sonora, current; 2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB, retired; 2000 328i TiAg, retired

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 02:20 PM   #6
FC4
Lieutenant Colonel
115
Rep
1,512
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: May 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

If I saw something like that on a 335i, I'll just carry on with my life. On a high-end car, it might be worth a chuckle. Once.

A local Ferrari enthusiast in the same circles who is credited with engineering several Apple iPod and iOS patents has plates which reference iPod and Apple on a few of his cars. It's tacky there, too.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 02:29 PM   #7
Vegetable
Captain
Vegetable's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
695
Posts

Drives: 435i M-Sport MT
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Nor Cal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrays View Post
I've got a Mineral Grey M Sport 335i on order and been thinking of custom plates. I'm on the fence as to whether this will be too tacky or not.

First, the background: I've been an Apple fan since I bought my first Mac in '86 and only became more of a fan since purchasing some Apple stock in '98 at a current cost basis of $1.15

So the plates I'm considering: THX AAPL

Thoughts?
My vote is that it's fine.. I wouldn't do it, but if I saw it I wouldn't think to myself " that plate is tacky." I might think that you entered some iTunes sweepstakes and won a BMW, though.
__________________
435i | MG | MSport | 403M | 6MT | DHP | MPPK | BMS 10mm/15mm | 35% | BKGs
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #8
fecurtis
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
144
Rep
1,607
Posts

Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Arlington, VA

iTrader: (0)

No one really minds them here in Virginia, so many people have them already.
__________________
2014 BMW 335i M-Sport | Estoril Blue II | 8AT | MPPK | MPE
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:35 PM   #9
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
exclusivo's Avatar
35
Rep
1,772
Posts

Drives: race car
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: queens, ny

iTrader: (11)

I dont think anyone would even really know what it means, it has nothing to do with the car. First thought would probably be, this guy works at apple and bought himself a bmw, which I would expect from an apple fanboy. But knowing that you purposely chose that plate because you bought some apple stock, yes, I would say its tacky.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:40 PM   #10
Thumper333
First Lieutenant
Thumper333's Avatar
41
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 2015 328dX M-Sport
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Colorado

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
A vanity plate makes you a douche in the eyes of those who don't have one, but driving a Bimmer makes you a douche in the eyes of those who don't drive one, so what the heck.
LMAO

So true.


Quote:
Originally Posted by exclusivo View Post
I dont think anyone would even really know what it means, it has nothing to do with the car. First thought would probably be, this guy works at apple and bought himself a bmw, which I would expect from an apple fanboy. But knowing that you purposely chose that plate because you bought some apple stock, yes, I would say its tacky.
Not sure why it's different if he got it with apple stock or from being an employee.

I'm no fan of the modern Apple, certainly has nothing in common with the original Apple I loved. LOL the modern Apple has more in common with Microsoft of old that Apple was combating. Still have an Apple 2E at home, last good Apple IMHO.

Anyway, it's two questions from the OP....is it bad to get personalized plates, and is THX APPL a good choice if it is.

It's your car OP, personally I wouldn't do it, I thought about ECTO-1 for my F31 and STARK-5 for the S4..........but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger......
__________________
2015 328d X-Drive Touring Alpine White M-Sport | DHP | Premium | Tech | Lighting | DA + | Cold Weather | HK
2015 Audi S4 Sepang Blue P+ | S-Tronic | Tech Package | Adaptive Suspension | B&O
2015 Audi S3 Misano Red | 19" Sport pack | B&O
1983 Porsche 944 All stock
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #11
Billfitz
First Lieutenant
33
Rep
321
Posts

Drives: 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

I must admit having had vanities in my youth. My favorite was 3M TA3, until the DMV figured it out and put it on their banned list. I had it in 1972, long before the Beastie Boys.
Appreciate 1
      04-21-2015, 04:56 PM   #12
twincam23
Private
twincam23's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2014 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)



Do it!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:57 PM   #13
masamune
Member
4
Rep
132
Posts

Drives: 2009 328xi
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: PA

iTrader: (0)

A majority of vanity plates that I see make me cringe and feel embarrassed for the owner. How much is Apple paying you to drive around and advertise their brand? I'm sure others may enjoy you thanking a multibillion dollar corporation with loads of money and be more sympathetic. Others might find your plate sarcastic, but most people will just wonder why you spelled Apple wrong.
__________________
2011 Le Mans Blue E93 M3 - ED 6/11/11 - ED Report with pictures
Redelivery - 8/1/11
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 05:01 PM   #14
exclusivo
Lieutenant Colonel
exclusivo's Avatar
35
Rep
1,772
Posts

Drives: race car
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: queens, ny

iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper333 View Post
LMAO

So true.




Not sure why it's different if he got it with apple stock or from being an employee.

I'm no fan of the modern Apple, certainly has nothing in common with the original Apple I loved. LOL the modern Apple has more in common with Microsoft of old that Apple was combating. Still have an Apple 2E at home, last good Apple IMHO.

Anyway, it's two questions from the OP....is it bad to get personalized plates, and is THX APPL a good choice if it is.

It's your car OP, personally I wouldn't do it, I thought about ECTO-1 for my F31 and STARK-5 for the S4..........but just can't bring myself to pull the trigger......
Well, if it was because he was an employee, I would still think it was dumb, but I could at least understand it. I guess I can understand OP's situation also, but I just see it as flaunting wealth. Like when a random person asks you about it, how do you feel comfortable saying, I made a bunch of money on apple stock, so I put it on my license plate? And there's probably thousands of people on this forum that bought their cars without needing apple stock, so whats the point really? I'm sure OP is probably thinking the same thing, thus this thread, but at the end of the day, do what you want OP, its your car.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 05:17 PM   #15
Fronzdan
Captain
23
Rep
924
Posts

Drives: 335i xDrive MSport 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

If you're gonna do it...just do "AAPL".
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #16
murrays
New Member
4
Rep
26
Posts

Drives: '02 325i
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Wisconsin

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by masamune View Post
A majority of vanity plates that I see make me cringe and feel embarrassed for the owner. How much is Apple paying you to drive around and advertise their brand? I'm sure others may enjoy you thanking a multibillion dollar corporation with loads of money and be more sympathetic. Others might find your plate sarcastic, but most people will just wonder why you spelled Apple wrong.
AAPL is the ticker symbol FWIW.

I think the fact that I'm questioning the choice should give me the answer I'm looking for. I've asked several friends, some think it's a great idea, others think it's over the top.

My E46 has AMO BICI currently...any guesses as to what that means?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 06:20 PM   #17
twincam23
Private
twincam23's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
72
Posts

Drives: 2014 ActiveHybrid 3
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by murrays View Post
My E46 has AMO BICI currently...any guesses as to what that means?
Google says "Love Bike".
What's my prize?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 07:11 PM   #18
FC4
Lieutenant Colonel
115
Rep
1,512
Posts

Drives: Yes
Join Date: May 2014
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

I'm still wondering why your cost basis is $1.15 and you're driving a 3-Series. Do you only have 5000 shares or something?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 07:24 PM   #19
justinnum1
Brigadier General
93
Rep
4,258
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

I think it's cool. But also think it might draw some unwanted attention
__________________
F30 335i Msport Estoril Blue/Black leather sport auto. black grills, Performance Exhaust, HK,

On order: F30 328i Alpine white/Coral red Msport 6MT, HK, Zenons, msport brakes, black grills and black side sills. mperformance exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 08:00 PM   #20
335BOY
Colonel
80
Rep
2,491
Posts

Drives: 09 335 e92
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
I must admit having had vanities in my youth. My favorite was 3M TA3, until the DMV figured it out and put it on their banned list. I had it in 1972, long before the Beastie Boys.
My friends mother in law gave it to him. Still on his truck 22 years later. Was X5, Cayenne now.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 03:30 AM   #21
DitDah
New Member
United_States
0
Rep
27
Posts

Drives: 153Z 335xi
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
My neighbor has a Tesla with a plate that says "Chrg Me".
HA...not bad...I like it.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2015, 05:00 AM   #22
JJS
Second Lieutenant
New Zealand
12
Rep
271
Posts

Drives: BMW F31 335i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Wellington, NZ

iTrader: (0)

I saw the saddest plate today. "2011 M6". It was attached to a 2011 Mazda 6.
__________________
EBII 335i Touring M-Sport (Munich built July 2013)
| 6 Speed Manual | 2VF Adaptive M Suspension | 2VL Variable Sports Steering | 403M wheels | M-Sport brakes | 688 Harman Kardon | 494 Heated Seats | 610 HUD | 322 Comfort Access | 5AC High-Beam Assist | 609 Navigation Professional |
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:02 PM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST