F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Why Can't I Add the Powerkit on the Configurator???
proTUNING Freaks

11-14-2016, 01:54 PM   #1
Raikkonen
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3, 6-spd

Why Can't I Add the Powerkit on the Configurator???

When building a 340i online, the configurator (US) won't allow you to add it to your build...

I've also noticed that the price on BMW's configurator is $3,195, which doesn't jive with the press release cost:

Press Release
MPPSK - $2,820
Chrome Tips - $128/ea. ($256)

Total - $3,076

To add even more confusion, the configurator has an option of "chrome exhaust tips" for $300.

Has anyone else noticed this???

My apologies if this has been discussed...
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
goj
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Because it's an Accessory not an option. It's not too big of a deal - BMW build configurator has always left a bit to be desired
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2016, 02:37 AM   #3
N33D4SP33D
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 16 m340i xDrive

Garage List
In Canada we have m performance I and m performance II the latter includes mppsk. Strange how different we are from the US.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 10:24 AM   #4
Raikkonen
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by goj View Post
Because it's an Accessory not an option. It's not too big of a deal - BMW build configurator has always left a bit to be desired
No, I get it. It's just weird that it's listed under the "options" tab, and has been for months, and you can't add it to your build.

This, combined with the price discrepancy, and the chrome exhaust tips that are an additional $300, that also cannot be added to your build. The pricing make no sense...

(Perhaps it will now be offered from the factory, instead of port-installed???)

Usually these things are sorted by now??

And yes, Canadian cars are on a different planet, as your "M Performance I" is basically our track handling pack...
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 07:11 PM   #5
skw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: W166 ML350 BlueTec

It is $3195 MSRP and doesn't include the tips. Configurator is acting up but if you're ordering a car, your dealer can add it to the build.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 11:01 PM   #6
Araemo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raikkonen View Post
When building a 340i online, the configurator (US) won't allow you to add it to your build...

I've also noticed that the price on BMW's configurator is $3,195, which doesn't jive with the press release cost:

Press Release
MPPSK - $2,820
Chrome Tips - $128/ea. ($256)

Total - $3,076

To add even more confusion, the configurator has an option of "chrome exhaust tips" for $300.

Has anyone else noticed this???

My apologies if this has been discussed...
PIA pricing is different from after-sale accessory pricing. $3076 is after-sale accessory pricing, PIA pricing is $3195, plus $300 for chrome exhaust tips. There's an invoice price on that too, which is noticeably cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 11:18 AM   #7
Raikkonen
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Araemo View Post
PIA pricing is different from after-sale accessory pricing. $3076 is after-sale accessory pricing, PIA pricing is $3195, plus $300 for chrome exhaust tips. There's an invoice price on that too, which is noticeably cheaper.
THANK YOU

Makes perfect sense now....I appreciate the explanation.

I'm assuming that if you're leasing, the best route is still to add it as a factory (PIA) option, as you can residualize the cost, even with the PIA price being higher...

Now if only BMW could get their act together on the damn configurator!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 11:59 AM   #8
Araemo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 340iX 6MT

Quote:
THANK YOU

I'm assuming that if you're leasing, the best route is still to add it as a factory (PIA) option, as you can residualize the cost, even with the PIA price being higher...

I've heard that PIA accessories have low residuals, so you don't residualize it fully.. but if you get it installed as PIA, it's on the window sticker, so you shouldn't have to remove it when turning it back in... I assume.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:25 PM   #9
skw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I've heard that PIA accessories have low residuals, so you don't residualize it fully.. but if you get it installed as PIA, it's on the window sticker, so you shouldn't have to remove it when turning it back in... I assume.
MPPSK I believe is carrying the same residual as the car itself so you do get the full residual. Any items added or that or on the car when you take delivery, have to be on there when you turn it in. Have to give it back the same way you got it.

Don't quote me on this part but I think I read somewhere that the software and exhaust are being installed at the factory and just the tips are installed at the port.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #10
skw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Remember that PIA pricing includes installation where as after-sales does not. Also when doing port installation, you do not get the original parts back but everything gets the full 4yr/50k mi warranty. Have it installed by your dealer, the parts are yours to keep and the new parts only get a 2yr warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 02:36 PM   #11
manimal55
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 435xi Msport

I didnt know they added it to the configurator. I got the MPPK on my 2016 435xi along with a couple other M-Performance Parts and all of them were dealer install. I did european delivery and it didnt have any of the options. I am not sure if they are sold differently through BMW North America or the way dealers get credit for them might be different. Someone else who works in a dealer might be able to give more input on this. I assumed they might install the parts at the port when I didnt see them in Germany but them I got back all the parts they took off, including the intake and engine cover. I dont know if this helps the conversation or adds confusion but I thought I give my experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 05:27 PM   #12
skw
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manimal55 View Post
I didnt know they added it to the configurator. I got the MPPK on my 2016 435xi along with a couple other M-Performance Parts and all of them were dealer install. I did european delivery and it didnt have any of the options. I am not sure if they are sold differently through BMW North America or the way dealers get credit for them might be different. Someone else who works in a dealer might be able to give more input on this. I assumed they might install the parts at the port when I didnt see them in Germany but them I got back all the parts they took off, including the intake and engine cover. I dont know if this helps the conversation or adds confusion but I thought I give my experience.
Euro Delivery not eligible for port installed accessories. Port installation, the keep the "new" parts they take off of the vehicle. With ED cars, when entering the US, they're considered as "used". I believe ED cars having used car status is part of the discount as well. Something to do with the importation fees or taxes.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 12:20 AM   #13
xlover
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 335 xdrive 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
THANK YOU

If installed at port they are fully "baked" into the car and come on the sticker. They have the exact same residual as any other factory option. It is only if a dealer installs prior to delivery that there is a limit on residual add on.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 02:20 AM   #14
manimal55
United_States
Rep
Drives: MY16 435xi Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by skw View Post
Euro Delivery not eligible for port installed accessories. Port installation, the keep the "new" parts they take off of the vehicle. With ED cars, when entering the US, they're considered as "used". I believe ED cars having used car status is part of the discount as well. Something to do with the importation fees or taxes.
Alright that makes sense! Thanks for the input!
Appreciate 0