F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > F30 Wind-Noise Issues
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-10-2013, 03:23 PM   #111
metrathon
Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vista, SoCal


Posts: 547
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman View Post
I will , I just have not had any progress to report yet.

I have tried taping some things (drip molding on windshield, the top of the windshield, and along the upper part of the driver door glass), but no real reduction in noise.

I have not tried taping the door, but I may try that too. Did you tape all around the whole door edge, or just the window? What kind of tape did you use?

I have been in other peoples F30's and they are definitely much quieter than mine, so I *know* it's not normal.

I really just want the dealer to diagnose and fix it, but I seem to have to push them on this every step of the way.
Just a reminder: I have no whistle, just excessive wind noise + I can clearly hear the cars passing me.

I posted this some time ago, but it didn't catch anyone's attention. The best way to isolate the noise leak is to do it the other way around: park your car in a quiet spot, play music with lots of high freq or pink noise, get out of the car, close doors and start listening in the areas you think the noise gets in.
This is the best method to spot areas where the isolation sucks. Normally you would hear only muffled sounds (mid and low freqs). When it gets clearer (you start hearing high freqs), we have a problem.

Following this method I was able to isolate the issue. I already had a hunch from trying to catch the leak while driving the car, but now it got confirmed. My biggest problem is the whole B pillar, from top (roof) to bottom of the door. But the worst is at the door handle. It's like the is no isolation there.

I used regular office tape. I'm attaching a pic with what I tapped. Yellow means a fair reduction in noise, red means biggest reduction.

Judging by this, I think my ALL FOUR doors might be misaligned.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Driving/Riding: 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 | 2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li
Past affairs: 2006 Kawaki Ninja 650R | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2001 BMW 530i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Honda Civic | 2002 Citroen Xsara
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 03:29 PM   #112
metrathon
Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vista, SoCal


Posts: 547
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkTrigger View Post
I didn't think I'd be joining this club, but now I'm in it. Just got my car back from the repair shop and now I keep checking to see if the window in cracked open. My car didn't do this before.... MY13....

My mirror had gotten knocked off by a piece of road debris and damaged the left side of my car so they had to do repairs to the left side. Now it sounds like the window is open on the drivers side going anywhere above 50 mph.
Buddy, I feel sorry to welcome you to this club.

This is a tricky one to deal with. First, "noisy" is pretty subjective. And to have the dealer fix something so subjective, it can be pretty difficult. Not sure what their incentive to do this is but if the guy drives a Honda, what you describe as a noisy car, for him might sound like a Lexus LS.
__________________
Driving/Riding: 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 | 2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li
Past affairs: 2006 Kawaki Ninja 650R | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2001 BMW 530i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Honda Civic | 2002 Citroen Xsara
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 05:15 PM   #113
TXRob
Registered
0

 
Drives: 2013 328i Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dallas,TX


Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Me too...

Count me in the Whistling club... 328i Sport 11/12 build.

Over 45 mph a definite whistling, seems a bit louder when in passenger seat. Hard to localize...

I have an appt at the dealer this thurs. I will be asking them to focus on the drip moulding as mentoned earlier in this thread.

My 1st BMW, ugh. Pretty embarrasing when you drive someone in your new car and they say - is the sunroof open? Where is the whistling coming from?



(PS - thx to all who have posted, it keeps my confidence up that it will get fixed)

Last edited by TXRob; 03-10-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 05:43 PM   #114
TXRob
Registered
0

 
Drives: 2013 328i Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dallas,TX


Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrathon View Post
Just a reminder: I have no whistle, just excessive wind noise + I can clearly hear the cars passing me.

I posted this some time ago, but it didn't catch anyone's attention. The best way to isolate the noise leak is to do it the other way around: park your car in a quiet spot, play music with lots of high freq or pink noise, get out of the car, close doors and start listening in the areas you think the noise gets in.
This is the best method to spot areas where the isolation sucks. Normally you would hear only muffled sounds (mid and low freqs). When it gets clearer (you start hearing high freqs), we have a problem.

Following this method I was able to isolate the issue. I already had a hunch from trying to catch the leak while driving the car, but now it got confirmed. My biggest problem is the whole B pillar, from top (roof) to bottom of the door. But the worst is at the door handle. It's like the is no isolation there.

I used regular office tape. I'm attaching a pic with what I tapped. Yellow means a fair reduction in noise, red means biggest reduction.

Judging by this, I think my ALL FOUR doors might be misaligned.

metrathon - thx for the tip - I just confirmed using your method... I also have the RED "hotspots" you have ID'ed on your pix. I will be demoing to the dealer as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2013, 09:12 PM   #115
metrathon
Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vista, SoCal


Posts: 547
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRob View Post
metrathon - thx for the tip - I just confirmed using your method... I also have the RED "hotspots" you have ID'ed on your pix. I will be demoing to the dealer as well.
Keep us posted.

Buy a 3 Series, they said. It will be fun, they said
__________________
Driving/Riding: 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 | 2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li
Past affairs: 2006 Kawaki Ninja 650R | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2001 BMW 530i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Honda Civic | 2002 Citroen Xsara
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 07:32 AM   #116
CKau
First Lieutenant
7

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: sydney, australia


Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

I have a 10th jan build and unfortunately my car has the issue too. I just returned from back to back driving my Golf mk6 versus the 328i and there's definitely abnormal amounts of wind noise in the 328i.

It sounds like excessive wind noise from the mirrors and front of the bonnet. The overall effect is is sounds like the car is being buffeted by high winds when i go above 90kph (55mph). However the air is quite still tonight.

The Golf has a hushed wind noise sound in comparison.

Luckily i dont have the whistle.

I will be calling the dealer tomorrow to complain. I have only had the car for a week :-(

Not a great experience for my first BMW. Quite disappointed

Will be calling my dealer tomorrow about it.

Kicking myself as i could have cancelled my order as i was reading this thread while awaiting shipping and delivery.
__________________
328i aus spec |M adaptive suspension|sunroof|sport seats|self parking|extended display | aftermarket sound insulation
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 09:37 AM   #117
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
21

 
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I have a Dec 12 build 335 MSport. While I haven't experienced the whistling (knock on wood), the cabin is loud. I can hear excessive road noise even when stopped at a light.

I took my car in for a rubbing noise when I accelerate on left turns and to recode the ASS. BTW - the tech said BMW does not like to recode the ASS but it's your car so we will not try to dissuade you like other dealerships (glad my service dept is about the client - I know many of your dealerships had issues with this based on posts that I read).

Back to my post. They gave me a 328 base loaner. The cabin is almost SOUNDPROOF! I can barely hear anything outside of the car. It can't be this dramatic, can it?

I plan to inquire when I pick up my car today
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:20 AM   #118
metrathon
Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vista, SoCal


Posts: 547
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
The cabin is almost SOUNDPROOF!
So it IS possible. Keep us posted.
__________________
Driving/Riding: 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 | 2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li
Past affairs: 2006 Kawaki Ninja 650R | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2001 BMW 530i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Honda Civic | 2002 Citroen Xsara
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #119
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
21

 
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrathon
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
The cabin is almost SOUNDPROOF!
So it IS possible. Keep us posted.
The guy didn't hesitate. Will do
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:05 PM   #120
CanadianDriver
Lieutenant
5

 
Drives: 2008 328xi
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Canada


Posts: 466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
The cabin is almost SOUNDPROOF! I can barely hear anything outside of the car. It can't be this dramatic, can it?

I plan to inquire when I pick up my car today
did you notice if your loaner has sunroof?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:07 PM   #121
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
21

 
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianDriver
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
The cabin is almost SOUNDPROOF! I can barely hear anything outside of the car. It can't be this dramatic, can it?

I plan to inquire when I pick up my car today
did you notice if your loaner has sunroof?
Good catch. It does not.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:42 PM   #122
CKau
First Lieutenant
7

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: sydney, australia


Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I have a Dec 12 build 335 MSport. While I haven't experienced the whistling (knock on wood), the cabin is loud. I can hear excessive road noise even when stopped at a light.

I took my car in for a rubbing noise when I accelerate on left turns and to recode the ASS. BTW - the tech said BMW does not like to recode the ASS but it's your car so we will not try to dissuade you like other dealerships (glad my service dept is about the client - I know many of your dealerships had issues with this based on posts that I read).

Back to my post. They gave me a 328 base loaner. The cabin is almost SOUNDPROOF! I can barely hear anything outside of the car. It can't be this dramatic, can it?

I plan to inquire when I pick up my car today
When you say soundproof, is this when the car is stationary or cruising above 90kph?

My car is quiet at speeds up to 80kph.

Update: just watched a few youtube videos of 0-100 and realised i should have paid more attention. They all get wind noise above 90kph. Sad to think it's inherent in the car and all the warning signs were there.
__________________
328i aus spec |M adaptive suspension|sunroof|sport seats|self parking|extended display | aftermarket sound insulation

Last edited by CKau; 03-13-2013 at 12:59 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 01:03 PM   #123
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
21

 
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CKau
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
I have a Dec 12 build 335 MSport. While I haven't experienced the whistling (knock on wood), the cabin is loud. I can hear excessive road noise even when stopped at a light.

I took my car in for a rubbing noise when I accelerate on left turns and to recode the ASS. BTW - the tech said BMW does not like to recode the ASS but it's your car so we will not try to dissuade you like other dealerships (glad my service dept is about the client - I know many of your dealerships had issues with this based on posts that I read).

Back to my post. They gave me a 328 base loaner. The cabin is almost SOUNDPROOF! I can barely hear anything outside of the car. It can't be this dramatic, can it?

I plan to inquire when I pick up my car today
When you say soundproof, is this when the car is stationary or cruising above 90kph?

My car is quiet at speeds up to 80kph.
My 335 is not quiet even when stopped. I can hear everything outside.

The 328 loaner is extremely quiet while stopped or moving. Almost like I am in a bubble.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 06:49 PM   #124
billiebob
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: 328i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NJ


Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

My new f30 is loud as hell and way louder than my e90, which people actually commented on for quiet.

This is an engineering problem and clearly the e90 was designed with low noise in mind and the f30 was not.


If you want a car with tomb-like silence from wind and road roar and great refinement the f30 is not your ride.

I'm just glad I test drove it to make sure I knew what I was getting into. Noise isn't a huge problem for me but I definitely notice it. It's the mirrors and general lack of sound deadening. Nothing bmw can do except redesign the shape.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 11:41 PM   #125
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
32

 
Frogman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,776
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiebob View Post
My new f30 is loud as hell and way louder than my e90, which people actually commented on for quiet.

This is an engineering problem and clearly the e90 was designed with low noise in mind and the f30 was not.


If you want a car with tomb-like silence from wind and road roar and great refinement the f30 is not your ride.

I'm just glad I test drove it to make sure I knew what I was getting into. Noise isn't a huge problem for me but I definitely notice it. It's the mirrors and general lack of sound deadening. Nothing bmw can do except redesign the shape.
If that's true (generic mirror design), then it would affect all F30's. It doesn't. I've been in 2 other 328i F30's that are much, much quieter than mine. I have an appointment next week to have the window seals replaced, we'll see if that helps. I don't doubt that the mirrors add to wind noise and I accept that there will be some, but I don't think it's the only cause of the loud buffeting sound I'm hearing.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 12:34 AM   #126
AndDown
Just Copacetic!
United_States
1

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i AlpinWeiss
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Redlands, CA


Posts: 141
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
My 335 is not quiet even when stopped. I can hear everything outside.

The 328 loaner is extremely quiet while stopped or moving. Almost like I am in a bubble.
An interesting thought entered my mind when I read your post...could it be BMW engineered it this way? Soundproof the 328 to block the diesel sounding engine, but minimize it on the 335 so that you can better hear the exhaust and engine sound? Just kidding!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #127
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
21

 
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, CA


Posts: 1,816
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC40 View Post
My 335 is not quiet even when stopped. I can hear everything outside.

The 328 loaner is extremely quiet while stopped or moving. Almost like I am in a bubble.
An interesting thought entered my mind when I read your post...could it be BMW engineered it this way? Soundproof the 328 to block the diesel sounding engine, but minimize it on the 335 so that you can better hear the exhaust and engine sound? Just kidding!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 09:53 PM   #128
TXRob
Registered
0

 
Drives: 2013 328i Sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dallas,TX


Posts: 3
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRob View Post
Count me in the Whistling club... 328i Sport 11/12 build.

Over 45 mph a definite whistling, seems a bit louder when in passenger seat. Hard to localize...

I have an appt at the dealer this thurs. I will be asking them to focus on the drip molding as mentioned earlier in this thread.

My 1st BMW, ugh. Pretty embarrassing when you drive someone in your new car and they say - is the sunroof open? Where is the whistling coming from?



(PS - thx to all who have posted, it keeps my confidence up that it will get fixed)
Hi All -

Just wanted to give an update.

Happy to report the whistle / noise at speed is gone after the dealer replaced the starboard windshield drip molding. What a relief!

Here's the FB entry from the maint form: 51-31-7-258-188, W2459

Thanks again - the Maint Mgr indicated there was a bulletin on it in the system.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2013, 10:03 PM   #129
metrathon
Lieutenant
United_States
18

 
Drives: 2012 328i Sport Line
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Vista, SoCal


Posts: 547
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRob View Post
Hi All -

Just wanted to give an update.

Happy to report the whistle / noise at speed is gone after the dealer replaced the starboard windshield drip molding. What a relief!

Here's the FB entry from the maint form: 51-31-7-258-188, W2459

Thanks again - the Maint Mgr indicated there was a bulletin on it in the system.
Well, I'm glad to hear that. I WISH i had the whistle, that's something solid I can (literally ) put my finger on. A defect, which is fixable.

But the loud wind buffeting noise might be impossible to fix. It has to be poor car design and/or lack of sound proofing materials. The latter is very hard to fix. The former, only if you sell the car.
__________________
Driving/Riding: 2014 Yamaha FZ-09 | 2012 BMW 328i Sport | 2009 Audi A4 2.0T | 2007 BMW 750Li
Past affairs: 2006 Kawaki Ninja 650R | 2004 BMW 530i | 2004 BMW 520i | 2001 BMW 530i | 2003 Opel Vectra | 2002 Honda Civic | 2002 Citroen Xsara
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 08:04 AM   #130
Mech-Mart
New Member
0

 
Drives: 320i 2012
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montreal


Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

Fixed!

I got my 320i in August and noticed the whistling noise from the top of the windshield at 100km/hr. Everything else was pretty quiet.

Last month I got around to having my dealer look at it, thanks to this thread. He said the problem was a gutter strip air gap and replaced the left drip molding (51-31-7-258-187) and 6 clips. The noise is gone and everything is as quiet as it should be.

BTW, I do have the sunroof. Also, I don't SEE any difference looking at the gutter, before and after.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #131
CNSYYC
New Member
Canada
0

 
Drives: F30 335X BSM M Sport 6 Spd
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Calgary Alberta Canada


Posts: 25
iTrader: (0)

I have the same issue - wind noise on the driver and passenger side above 80 Kph when the sunroof is tilted open.
The dealership has ordered the drip moulding parts and clips. The car voes in at the end of this week.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2013, 05:28 PM   #132
CKau
First Lieutenant
7

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: sydney, australia


Posts: 387
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrathon View Post
Well, I'm glad to hear that. I WISH i had the whistle, that's something solid I can (literally ) put my finger on. A defect, which is fixable.

But the loud wind buffeting noise might be impossible to fix. It has to be poor car design and/or lack of sound proofing materials. The latter is very hard to fix. The former, only if you sell the car.
I managed to go for my first extended 110kph (65 mph) freeway drive last night. I was trying to explain the issue to a friend who owns a 135i coupe (1st gen).

I will say that the buffeting is hushed. The car is quiet but it's the fact that I hear buffeting is the issue. It's as bad as a mk5 golf, which itself isn't noisy. It's just I have come from a mk6 golf where VW invested a lot in making the car quiet. Mk6 was astoundingly less noisy and more hushed than mk5.

I think I have come from a very high benchmark and expect better. At least I confirmed the noise is liveable. But still I would have thought the car to equal the golf mk6 in wind buffeting suppression, not be inferior to it.
__________________
328i aus spec |M adaptive suspension|sunroof|sport seats|self parking|extended display | aftermarket sound insulation
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
noise, wind noise, wind-noise, windnoise

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:29 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST