F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Problem with 435i Cruise Control/MPH/Heads up
RW Carbon

03-27-2014, 03:24 PM   #1
BMW435Florida

Drives: BMW 435i

Problem with 435i Cruise Control/MPH/Heads up

Hello.

I am having a minor issue with my recently purchased BMW, and I was wondering if anyone else was experiencing the same problem.

About a month ago I purchased a 2014 453i with cruise control and heads up display features. The car currently has about 1,200 miles on it and I do not have active cruise control.

I find that almost 100% of the time, the heads up display shows 1mph less than what I have the cruise control set at. This occurs in any driving mode, at any speed.

Example, the cruise will be set at 35mph. This cruise control speed will be displayed correctly on both the the heads up cruise control indicator and on the cruise control indicator on the instrument cluster. The speedometer on the instrument cluster will also correctly show the speed I am traveling at and the cruise is set at, but the heads up mph indicator will show 34mph.

I called the service department at the dealer where I purchased the car and they kind of dismissed the issue stating it is "normal".

Not one to consider something that does not work correctly as "normal", I called another dealer and spoke to the service department there. This dealer told me he had not heard of the issue previously, and suggested if I wanted it looked at, to make a service appointment.

So I called the service department back where I purchased the car and spoke to the service manager. He didn't seem familiar with the problem, did not state it was normal, and scheduled an appointment for me Monday.

So I was curious if this is a normal occurrence anyone has experienced with any models of their BWMs with heads up display and cruise control. If others have had this problem, I would probably write it off as normal and not waste the time at the dealer.

If no one else here has experienced this and it is not a frequently occurring issue, I would probably bring the car in Monday.

I did a Google search for related terms to my problem, and I was unable to find anything on the net referencing this issue. This would lead me to believe it is not normal and others may not be having this issue, or I would think there would be some info out there on the net.

Thanks for any insight/information.
BMW435Florida is offline   United_States
      03-27-2014, 09:44 PM   #2
Fenster
Private

Drives: 2014 335xi

This is a common problem that I and others on this and/or the other forum have commented on. For me, it happens very consistently. I have ACC so use my cruise more than some people and it happens ALL THE TIME.

I would have to do some testing but not even sure cruise control is a factor. Could be the HUD speed is wrong and we don't notice except when we are expecting a constant speed from the cruise control. I bet if I drove a consistent 80mph without CC the HUD would still say 79.

Just because it's common doesn't mean it's normal. How could it possibly be "normal" for one car to give you two different speed indications at the same time?

That said, I haven't worked up my GAS (give a s**t) factor enough to call the dealer. I'll wait until something else goes wrong and address it then.
      03-27-2014, 09:50 PM   #3
Fenster
Private

Next time a dealer tells you it's normal say, "uh, OK then, tell me which one is right so I'll know which one to use." I realize in reality they're both wrong but would still like to hear their response.
      03-28-2014, 12:49 AM   #4
russellsdad
Private

Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport 8AT EBII

1 mph difference isn't enough for me to "fix" the issue. Every car I have owned previously never displayed my set speed. I always adjust up or down 1-2 mph as the need arises anyway. So far as I am concerned this doesn't bother me. As long as it holds a steady speed which it does.
2001 Porsche Boxster S 6MT, Lapis Blue.
russellsdad is offline   United_States
      03-28-2014, 01:15 AM   #5
CLittle
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

I think of it as a thermostat. Within 1 mph is close enough depending on uphill or downhill so the car isn't accelerating or braking just to appease your need to travel EXACTLY 35 mph. Btw, you need to set it to 37 mph to travel 35. The read outs are all off by 2 mph.
CLittle is offline   United_States
      03-28-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
BMW435Florida

Thank you for the replies.

Fenster, I think you may be correct about it doing the same thing w/o using the cruise, I will try it today.

My inclination is that is it the HUD, as the CC set speed is reflected correctly on the speedometer in the instrument cluster, so the car appears to be traveling at the CC set speed.

Since others have had this problem, I am inclined to say the hell with it, it is not a huge deal.

On the other hand, I may bring it in so I can see if they can remedy the situation to let others here know if they can do anything, and if so, what they did.

I am always hesitant to leave a nice car in the hands of the dealer. I don't really trust them to handle the car with the same care as I do.

Have a great weekend guys, thanks again!

Last edited by BMW435Florida; 03-28-2014 at 08:44 AM.
      03-28-2014, 02:27 PM   #7
Fenster
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
Could be the HUD speed is wrong and we don't notice except when we are expecting a constant speed from the cruise control. I bet if I drove a consistent 80mph without CC the HUD would still say 79.
This morning with cruise control off I drove a steady 40, 50, and 60 mph according to the speedometer in the instrument panel. At each speed the HUD showed 39, 49, and 59 mph, respectively. So I don't think this is a cruise control issue, just a mismatch between the instrument cluster and the HUD.

Odd, but I'm pretty much over it...
      03-31-2014, 07:25 AM   #8
BMW435Florida

I went to the dealer today.

Didn't have to drop the car off or go for a drive to show them the problem.

The "head mechanic" stated it is a known issue with no current fix at this time.

So that ends that.
2014 435i - M Sport Line - Mineral Gray Metallic - Harmon Kardon Sound - Heated Seats - Premium Package - Drivers Assistance Package - Technology Package - Black Leather Interior - Aluminum Hexagon Trim - Estoril Blue Trim Finishers.
      03-31-2014, 12:19 PM   #9
Fenster
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW435Florida View Post
I went to the dealer today.

Didn't have to drop the car off or go for a drive to show them the problem.

The "head mechanic" stated it is a known issue with no current fix at this time.

So that ends that.
Thanks for the update. At least they know about it. Shame that a car at this level doesn't get such fundamental things right.
      04-06-2014, 06:13 PM   #10
Damn Dirty Ape
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 328i Xdrive M-Sport

I've got the same issue here as well.
      04-06-2014, 07:59 PM   #11
Fenster
Private

Another angle or way to duplicate this: with cruise control on but not active, drive a consistent speed and activate (set) CC. The CC speed will be 1 MPH higher than speed displayed in HUD.
      04-13-2014, 10:29 AM   #12
pmgreenwood
Private First Class

Drives: F31 320D se auto

A thought.

In my experiance most speedoes are fast (as requied by law in the UK) When I had an independent nav that typically showed the car speedo at 70 being 2 to 3 mph fast. Does the HUD takes it reading from the GPS in the Navigation system in that case it is more likely to be accurate than the speedo? Cruise controls I belive are linked to speed rather than Nav systems.

In my F31, the speedo is at most 1 mph fast and I rarely spot any difference with the HUD.
pmgreenwood is offline   United Kingdom
      04-14-2014, 07:36 PM   #13
Fenster
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmgreenwood View Post
A thought.

In my experiance most speedoes are fast (as requied by law in the UK) When I had an independent nav that typically showed the car speedo at 70 being 2 to 3 mph fast. Does the HUD takes it reading from the GPS in the Navigation system in that case it is more likely to be accurate than the speedo? Cruise controls I belive are linked to speed rather than Nav systems.

In my F31, the speedo is at most 1 mph fast and I rarely spot any difference with the HUD.
I would think the HUD speed would come from the instrument cluster because I don't think navigation is required for HUD. And yeah, as I mentioned in post 3, reality is they are BOTH wrong. I just think they ought to be in agreement.

The way I drive this isn't the thing that's going to get me pulled over. Telling the cop my speedo is off by 1 mph ain't gonna help when he pulls me for +20
      05-28-2014, 01:40 PM   #14
snowghost
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

I hardly ever use CC--even on long trips. Decided to use it in earnest yesterday on a long 6+ hour trip. Noticed the 1mph error as well.

Also installed a GPS app for my iPhone that works without cell service. It was showing me that the HUD was within 1mph or even identical to the GPS speed.

Never having a stand-alone GPS (aka Garmin), is the GPS speed very accurate?
      05-30-2014, 09:58 AM   #15
Fenster
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowghost View Post
I hardly ever use CC--even on long trips. Decided to use it in earnest yesterday on a long 6+ hour trip. Noticed the 1mph error as well.

Also installed a GPS app for my iPhone that works without cell service. It was showing me that the HUD was within 1mph or even identical to the GPS speed.

Never having a stand-alone GPS (aka Garmin), is the GPS speed very accurate?
Short answer: it's not as good as a timed run over a known distance, but it's still pretty good.

Long answer: lots of variables but with an unobstructed view of the sky (3+ satellites with good signal) a constant speed should be measured pretty accurately. I say constant because GPS devices read a position sample only once per second, so if you are accelerating or decelerating the GPS speed will lag behind your real speed, i.e. it will show you how fast you were traveling one second ago.

Also some variance due to accuracy limitations (3 meter radius IIRC). On an older GPS you could be standing still and the GPS would still give a speed readout (1-2 mph) because it thought you were bouncing around in the circle of error. Don't see this much with newer GPSs, I guess they correct for it somehow.
      05-30-2014, 10:30 AM   #16
Rossifumi
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Some BMW

Strange, it works great in km/h so maybe BMW has a bad conversion script between the different units!
Rossifumi is offline   No_Country
      05-30-2014, 11:13 AM   #17
335i_4D
Back on 2wd !

Drives: 335i 2012 BSM on Black

Curious to see if by removing the speed correction (thru coding), you'd still have the issue...
2007 335i sedan Antracite (Sold and missed !)
335i_4D is offline   Canada