F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BMW Internet -Can't use without subscription?
Extreme Power House

05-17-2014, 12:55 PM   #1
BobN2Tech
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2014 BMW 328i

BMW Internet -Can't use without subscription?

I have the 2014 328i just delivered with the Technology package. I was under the impression the BMW Online and google search, came with the package, and have the internet browser (as shown on the bmw connecteddrive page) - only to discover that it does not appear on my idrive screen. After 1 hour of discussion with BMW genius, they told me I need a subscription ($100/year) to have it. I was surprised that nothing in the BMW website on ConnectedDrive indicates that you need a subscription to use - a clear omission. I was wondering why the Internet does not appear on my menu, though, and like the dictation feature, indicates a subscription is needed (after 60 days). Also, who is using this and how well does it actually work. Is it using 3G or 4G?

Last edited by BobN2Tech; 05-17-2014 at 07:36 PM. Reason: Asking who uses it.
BobN2Tech is offline   United_States
      05-20-2014, 02:25 AM   #2
Roki_014
Major

Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobN2Tech View Post
I have the 2014 328i just delivered with the Technology package. I was under the impression the BMW Online and google search, came with the package, and have the internet browser (as shown on the bmw connecteddrive page) - only to discover that it does not appear on my idrive screen. After 1 hour of discussion with BMW genius, they told me I need a subscription ($100/year) to have it. I was surprised that nothing in the BMW website on ConnectedDrive indicates that you need a subscription to use - a clear omission. I was wondering why the Internet does not appear on my menu, though, and like the dictation feature, indicates a subscription is needed (after 60 days). Also, who is using this and how well does it actually work. Is it using 3G or 4G?
How do you get it?
      05-21-2014, 07:25 PM   #3
BobN2Tech
Enlisted Member

I understand now that it is not available in the USA. So the question is why does the BMWUSA website show this tease? Although, not the reason I bought the car, I was expecting this feature to work.
      05-21-2014, 08:19 PM   #4
CLittle
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 328i Luxury

That is weird, the tech package description for 2014 F30 clearly says 3 years of BMW online is included.
CLittle is offline   United_States
      05-21-2014, 08:24 PM   #5
Fronzdan
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i xDrive MSport

When you say dictation, are you referring to Dragon Drive?
      05-21-2014, 08:42 PM   #6
BobN2Tech
Enlisted Member

That's why I am so puzzled. I called BMW Genius, they told me after 1 hr of research it was a subscription, but yes I have 3 years of BMW online for all the other services. The Dragon text dictation is free for 60 days, only. Then it is a subscription.
      05-21-2014, 09:43 PM   #7
Fronzdan
Lieutenant

Dragon Drive works through your device (and I've only gotten it to work with Android). Technically I don't think it needs the BMW subscription...but BMW may only enable it if you have their subscription. The 60 day thing is with the DDrive developer, Nuance. Renewal beyond the 60 days is with Nuance.
      05-21-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
bonabono
Private

Drives: 2014 328xi

BMW Canada states the "Internet" option:
Quote:
Complimentary 1-year subscription allowing access to the Internet through the iDrive system. Unlimited bandwidth, using the vehicle's built-in SIM card. WIll not use the occupant's mobile data connection.
It doesn't say how much the subscription is after 1 year though.
Guess it's $100/year. BMWNA shouldn't be much different from Canada.

BMW Online & Apps are different things.
Quote:
BMW Online provides access to weather, news, and other information services. BMW Apps (for Android and iOS devices) allows for easy integration of popular smartphone applications, via the BMW iDrive interface. Apps include Facebook, Twitter, Aupeo!, Deezer, internet radio, and others.
bonabono is offline   Canada
      05-29-2014, 02:05 PM   #9
Fronzdan
Lieutenant

I wonder why US iDrives don't get the web browser with BMW Online, while other countries do. Well I probably DO know why...the DOT?
      05-29-2014, 05:03 PM   #10
BobN2Tech
Enlisted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fronzdan View Post
I wonder why US iDrives don't get the web browser with BMW Online, while other countries do. Well I probably DO know why...the DOT?
I just talked to the dealer tech guy, and he said it now is available in the USA, but there is $100/year subscription and it is NOT part of the BMW Assist package or the tech package included. It's really misleading to show the services and features without a disclaimer indicating it is extra. There is no way to know which services are included and which are not except for Satellite from the BMWUSA website. I called customer relations, indicated this is quite misleading and that I've been a many time BMW owner, and they said "it's $100/year". What do other owner's think about that?
      05-29-2014, 05:27 PM   #11
Fronzdan
Lieutenant

It's crap. It's very misleading on what you do and don't get with ConnectedDrive and BMWOnline. Nowhere have I ever seen "Web Browsing Capability an extra $100 on top of regular BMWOnline fees".

Is it worth $100/year? Meh...not really. I can browse on my phone or tablet already. Doing that on the idrive display would be a nice to have novelty but not for extra $.

Heck I don't even know how much the regular BMWOnline fee is. I guess I will in three years.