F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Would This Be Safe?
Extreme Power House
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
Alexmac10
Enlisted Member
Scotland
0
Rep
47
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335D xdrive M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paisley

iTrader: (0)

Would This Be Safe?

I have a set of winters from my Merc that are 225/40/18, only done about 2000 mile so still good. I have an new 335d arriving in December. When I put the numbers into a tyre calculator it says there is a difference of 3.4% so above the recommended levels.

What difference will this make? Is it just the speedo that will be out? Was hoping these tyres would cover me for another winter at least.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:29 PM   #2
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
84
Rep
5,338
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmac10 View Post
I have a set of winters from my Merc that are 225/40/18, only done about 2000 mile so still good. I have an new 335d arriving in December. When I put the numbers into a tyre calculator it says there is a difference of 3.4% so above the recommended levels.

What difference will this make? Is it just the speedo that will be out? Was hoping these tyres would cover me for another winter at least.
See my winter set-up here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showth...=winter+wheels

Those should be No problem.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
Defero
Captain
Defero's Avatar
England
9
Rep
609
Posts

 
Drives: F31 325d M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

I would not do this. May invalidate the insurance and the warranty as its outside what bmw have specified on the car.

I would sell the wheels and tyres you have, then buy the correct tyres and wheels.

Is the small saving on the tyres worth it considering the total cost of a new 335d?

Last edited by Defero; 09-15-2013 at 04:42 PM.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
Alexmac10
Enlisted Member
Scotland
0
Rep
47
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335D xdrive M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paisley

iTrader: (0)

I have the adaptive suspension option on the new car, would the change in ride height affect the suspension? This is something I know nothing about and get confused on tyre profiles etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2013, 05:09 PM   #5
Defero
Captain
Defero's Avatar
England
9
Rep
609
Posts

 
Drives: F31 325d M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: United Kingdom

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexmac10
I have the adaptive suspension option on the new car, would the change in ride height affect the suspension? This is something I know nothing about and get confused on tyre profiles etc.
The 40 figure on tyre sidewall is a percentage of the width. In your case 40 of 225mm 225x0.40 = 90mm

BMW F30 on 18s has normally has 45 / 225 225x0.45 = 101.25mm

As the x-drive rides 10mm higher than the the s-drive m-sport do you want tyres that lower the car?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 03:48 AM   #6
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
54
Rep
3,363
Posts

 
Drives: F30 330d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

It's around this time of year I like to mention...

If anyone is thinking of just getting tyres for winter, run flat tyres are not designed to be taken off and put back on repeatedly. The side walls are much stiffer and there is an increased risk of damage when the tyre is removed from the wheel. It doesn't matter how careful the fitter is it's just one of those things.

That is all.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 05:15 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
56
Rep
4,678
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
It's around this time of year I like to mention...

If anyone is thinking of just getting tyres for winter, run flat tyres are not designed to be taken off and put back on repeatedly. The side walls are much stiffer and there is an increased risk of damage when the tyre is removed from the wheel. It doesn't matter how careful the fitter is it's just one of those things.

That is all.
+1

Good reminder, plus the risk of damage to the rims is much higher as well.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
Alexmac10
Enlisted Member
Scotland
0
Rep
47
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335D xdrive M Sport
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Paisley

iTrader: (0)

Hmmm, lots to think about then, wasn't budgeting for an new set of wheels and tyres. Car should be arriving a week before Christmas, i really need to work on my timing a bit to buy new cars
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:16 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST