F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Real world BMW 335i 0-60 performance
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #1
motorsport_cat
Private First Class
 
motorsport_cat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 181
iTrader: (0)

Real world BMW 335i 0-60 performance

Motor Trend just compared the new 335i vs the Cadillac ATS. They said that the bimmer was able to accomplish a 0-60 in 4.7 seconds. The ActiveHybrid 3 has a bigger power output so it should be a bit quicker than the 335i. Could it be possible that the ActiveHybrid 3 can do a 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds? If so, that's just amazing
motorsport_cat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
whoever
Private
 
Drives: 2010 528 xi
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NYC

Posts: 81
iTrader: (0)

I think 335 xDrive should easily approach that number.
whoever is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
bananachipz
Captain
 
Drives: F30 Mineral Gray 335i
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 819
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw8 View Post
Motor Trend just compared the new 335i vs the Cadillac ATS. They said that the bimmer was able to accomplish a 0-60 in 4.7 seconds. The ActiveHybrid 3 has a bigger power output so it should be a bit quicker than the 335i. Could it be possible that the ActiveHybrid 3 can do a 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds? If so, that's just amazing
no.

Weight... Batteries are heavy.. Ah3 is apparently slower by current accounts
bananachipz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
motorsport_cat
Private First Class
 
motorsport_cat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 181
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever
I think 335 xDrive should easily approach that number.
Almost a second faster than what bmw claims
__________________
///Meow
motorsport_cat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2012, 10:23 PM   #5
motorsport_cat
Private First Class
 
motorsport_cat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 181
iTrader: (0)

@ bananachipz: I read that despite the weight, it's still faster...
__________________
///Meow
motorsport_cat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2012, 10:54 PM   #6
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,657
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw8 View Post
@ bananachipz: I read that despite the weight, it's still faster...
According to BMW you're right. It weighs 135kgs(!) more but is 0.2 seconds faster from 0-100kmh (5.3 to 5.5s) officially stated by BMW.


Cheers
Robin
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2012, 11:03 PM   #7
motorsport_cat
Private First Class
 
motorsport_cat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 181
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw8 View Post
@ bananachipz: I read that despite the weight, it's still faster...
According to BMW you're right. It weighs 135kgs(!) more but is 0.2 seconds faster from 0-100kmh (5.3 to 5.5s) officially stated by BMW.


Cheers
Robin
Thats exactly it! And bmw always loves to make their cars seems slower than actually on their websites and everything...
__________________
///Meow
motorsport_cat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-23-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
batislav
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2012 335i Sportline
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Ohio

Posts: 193
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
According to BMW you're right. It weighs 135kgs(!) more but is 0.2 seconds faster from 0-100kmh (5.3 to 5.5s) officially stated by BMW.


Cheers
Robin
On the BMW USA website they list the AT 0-60 for the 335i as 5.1 and for the Active Hybrid as 5.2.
batislav is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 10:35 AM   #9
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ZheHbKa's Avatar
 
Drives: the Wind
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,796
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoever View Post
I think 335 xDrive should easily approach that number.
from bmw trends it should be in same range as audi s4 numbers ~ 4.4 - 4.5, which makes perfect sense, since on bmwusa 335xi shows as 4.8, when 335i 5.3

in the real world 335i is 4.8 so rough estimate with same discrepency would bring it to 4.3 - 4.4

DCT tranny can definately pull it off
__________________
2014 F30 335 X-Drive | 6-MT | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZMM ZDH ZDA |

ZheHbKa is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #10
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
 
Maz335i's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i M Sport (Special Ed)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Mississauga, Ontario

Posts: 2,961
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZheHbKa View Post
from bmw trends it should be in same range as audi s4 numbers ~ 4.4 - 4.5, which makes perfect sense, since on bmwusa 335xi shows as 4.8, when 335i 5.3

in the real world 335i is 4.8 so rough estimate with same discrepency would bring it to 4.3 - 4.4

DCT tranny can definately pull it off
So are you saying our 335i can do 0-60 in 4.3 sec???

WOW!!!
__________________
MODS: *** / M Sport + Performance / Meisterschaft / Challenge / MORR / more to come! ***
Maz335i is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #11
emtrey
Captain
 
emtrey's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 335 AW sport 06 Carrera S
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midwest

Posts: 650
iTrader: (0)

Doubt 4.3 come on car is quick but that is not realistic without mods
emtrey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 01:04 PM   #12
SPACEMANRICK
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335 Xdrive
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: VANCOUVER

Posts: 420
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
So are you saying our 335i can do 0-60 in 4.3 sec???

WOW!!!
I think he is referring to that time for a 335xi, I doubt a 4.3 time for the 335xi but with the 8 speed automatic and the better traction on launch it could be a few tenths of a second lower than BMW USA's stated time of 4.8 seconds for the automatic (5.1 for the manual). I guess we will find out in August or September when the first 335XI's are delivered.
SPACEMANRICK is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #13
emtrey
Captain
 
emtrey's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 335 AW sport 06 Carrera S
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midwest

Posts: 650
iTrader: (0)

I doubt the power to weight ratio would provide a 4.3 time in any configuration. Even stretching it to 10-1 assuming the car has more than 300 Hp you are not likely to see those times. Look up the power to weight ratio of the cars that do pull those times. Taking off .2 seconds when under 5 takes a lot of torque. I don't see it even if I wished it was so
emtrey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
volsfan0911
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2010 VW GTI
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ellicott City, MD

Posts: 113
iTrader: (0)

I can see sub 5.0 second times form the 335xi primarily due to the new 8 speed auto along with improved traction mit all four paws. Real world numbers from audiworld & audizine folks from the S4 are mid-high 4's on a stock 2012/2013 with s-tronic doing the shifting (7 speeds, are the shifts quicker than the ZF slushbox?). But there's no way you'll see 4.3 from the xi on instrumented 0-60 mph runs IMHO. It should be a fair straight up fight though. Would love to see slips from two head to head on the strip. With launch control/sport mode there's really not even a "I got a bad launch" excuse available. Anyone who can drive worth a damn can get these bad boys off the line hard so it's going to be car versus car mainly. Well, RT and 60' times always come into the equation. But it'd be a blast to watch!

Last edited by volsfan0911; 07-24-2012 at 06:00 PM.
volsfan0911 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 05:56 PM   #15
verbs
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Posts: 530
iTrader: (0)

0-60 times are for teenagers. People don't drag race 335i cars stoplight to stoplight.

I'm more interested in trap speeds as an indication of passing power.
verbs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 08:55 PM   #16
motorsport_cat
Private First Class
 
motorsport_cat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 181
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by volsfan0911
I can see sub 5.0 second times form the 335xi primarily due to the new 8 speed auto along with improved traction mit all four paws. Real world numbers from audiworld & audizine folks from the S4 are mid-high 4's on a stock 2012/2013 with s-tronic doing the shifting (7 speeds, are the shifts quicker than the ZF slushbox?). But there's no way you'll see 4.3 from the xi on instrumented 0-60 mph runs IMHO. It should be a fair straight up fight though. Would love to see slips from two head to head on the strip. With launch control/sport mode there's really not even a "I got a bad launch" excuse available. Anyone who can drive worth a damn can get these bad boys off the line hard so it's going to be car versus car mainly. Well, RT and 60' times always come into the equation. But it'd be a blast to watch!
Yeah for sure, id love to see a FAIR comparaison... I doubt the 335ix is slower than the s4!
__________________
///Meow
motorsport_cat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 09:01 PM   #17
jtuds
Major
 
Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 1.5-2 hrs west of Toronto

Posts: 1,064
iTrader: (0)

Motor trend didn't get 4.7 from a standstill... They did it with a rolling start
jtuds is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-24-2012, 09:09 PM   #18
motorsport_cat
Private First Class
 
motorsport_cat's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 328i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Montreal

Posts: 181
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds
Motor trend didn't get 4.7 from a standstill... They did it with a rolling start
Are u sure?
__________________
///Meow
motorsport_cat is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-25-2012, 06:05 AM   #19
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ZheHbKa's Avatar
 
Drives: the Wind
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC

Posts: 1,796
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACEMANRICK View Post
I think he is referring to that time for a 335xi, I doubt a 4.3 time for the 335xi but with the 8 speed automatic and the better traction on launch it could be a few tenths of a second lower than BMW USA's stated time of 4.8 seconds for the automatic (5.1 for the manual). I guess we will find out in August or September when the first 335XI's are delivered.
+1

thats just a rough estimate taking into account BMW being conservative.

might not hold true but would be nice
__________________
2014 F30 335 X-Drive | 6-MT | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZMM ZDH ZDA |

ZheHbKa is offline   Russian Federation
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #20
TractionControlOff
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2014 335i 8AT AW MPPK
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas

Posts: 108
iTrader: (0)

Article with Video

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Motor trend didn't get 4.7 from a standstill... They did it with a rolling start
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...5i_first_test/

Seems to be from a standstill. Anyone heard of mid-cycle changes for the 2014 335i (or whatever it will be called next year)??
TractionControlOff is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 09:35 PM   #21
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
 
Boosted John's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 AH3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jax, Fl

Posts: 622
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorsport_cat View Post
Motor Trend just compared the new 335i vs the Cadillac ATS. They said that the bimmer was able to accomplish a 0-60 in 4.7 seconds. The ActiveHybrid 3 has a bigger power output so it should be a bit quicker than the 335i. Could it be possible that the ActiveHybrid 3 can do a 0-60 in about 4.5 seconds? If so, that's just amazing
BMW claims the AH3 is .2 sec quicker than the normal 335.
__________________
2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3 /// Msport Pkg. M performance fornt lip, Black Kidney Grills, H&R Sport Springs, BBS CH-R

Boosted John is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-13-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
Boosted John
Internet Ninja
 
Boosted John's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 AH3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Jax, Fl

Posts: 622
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Motor trend didn't get 4.7 from a standstill... They did it with a rolling start
rolling starts are actually typically slower than stand still runs..
__________________
2013 BMW ActiveHybrid 3 /// Msport Pkg. M performance fornt lip, Black Kidney Grills, H&R Sport Springs, BBS CH-R

Boosted John is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:50 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST