F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20 and N26 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > BMS JB Stage 1 vs. AFE Power Scorcher Module
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
VANOS
NFS
VANOS's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
118
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i Sedan
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

BMS JB Stage 1 vs. AFE Power Scorcher Module

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey guys I need help on which tune to buy for my F30 328i. I hear nothing, but good things about these two tuners; But which one of them is truly the best? Which one of them really shows and feels faster? Which tune would you guys recommend?

I would really appreciate the help! Thanks!
__________________
Guten Tag
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 10:36 AM   #2
slmdgee
Usofstance
United_States
18
Rep
647
Posts

 
Drives: 328I 6SPD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (0)

Your best bet is click the search button on this thread instead of making another thread of the 2 tunes.... Just look on the first page and you'll see.
__________________
2013 328i 6MT Bagged

IG Stu_UnitedStatesOfStance
United States Of Stance
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #3
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
9
Rep
357
Posts

 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Here

iTrader: (3)

its simple really

would you rather support an arrogant stuck up tuner or a company new to tuning?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 11:22 AM   #4
reedo302
Estorilblau Member
United_States
4
Rep
221
Posts

 
Drives: Estoril 328i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Minneapolis, MN

iTrader: (0)

Which one's which and why?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
479
Rep
15,031
Posts


 
Drives: 07335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Earth

iTrader: (88)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
Hey guys I need help on which tune to buy for my F30 328i. I hear nothing, but good things about these two tuners; But which one of them is truly the best? Which one of them really shows and feels faster? Which tune would you guys recommend?

I would really appreciate the help! Thanks!
The BMS N20 Stage1 gives you a lot more for your money. It has MAF
control to avoid hidden tuner codes, solenoid control for pre-N26 motors for smoother tuning and more top end, includes a laptop interface if you ever need/want to datalog the car, and is upgradable to their N20 Stage2 tune currently under development that has CAN access, multiple maps, dash controls, E85 support, and much more.

There is some more info on my site as well.

Mike
__________________
LOWEST PRICE GURANTEE ON ALL PRODUCTS - www.n54tuning.com - Email; Mike@n54tuning.com
NEW PERFORMANCE LINE N54 DOWNPIPES & M3/M4 & F30 ER DOWNPIPES NOW IN STOCK - ER N54 CHARPE PIPE SPECIALS - NEW JB4 G5 ISO for N54 and F30 N55 ON SALE - NEW S55 M3/M4 JB4 NOW SHIPPING
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 12:47 PM   #6
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,573
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topcat87 View Post
its simple really

would you rather support an arrogant stuck up tuner or a company new to tuning?
Ummm, how about not caring about all of that and buying the superior product mmmkay.
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
Erik.klenke
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
32
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i Sportline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Durham, NC

iTrader: (0)

I have the BMS Stage 1 and am very happy with. Very noticeable power and torque increase but still smooth power delivery.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
David328M-Sport
Brigadier General
Australia
45
Rep
3,464
Posts

 
Drives: F30 M-Sport 328i Estoril Blue
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Melbourne Australia

iTrader: (0)

All I can say it with my few years' flawless experience with BMS Power Box for the 325i E90, I would suggest BMS as they have a proven track record over years with great tuning products for BMWs, very few people having issues with.

I'm in for Stage 1 as well and it's good to learn (thanks Mike) that Stage 2 is under development now.

Speaking of Mike, he is very often posting to this entire website, updating us on products and answering/clarifying queries on behalf of BMS. Perhaps AFE's spokesperson could add to the thread.
__________________
328i M-Sport, Estoril Blue, Carbon XP 35 Tint, front heated seats, black Dakota, Sports Suspension, Anthracite Headliner, HUD, Pro Nav, Sunroof, hk 600w, Bi-Xenon, 19" 403M wheels, Reversing Camera, DAB+, Xenon, BT Ext Connect.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #9
VANOS
NFS
VANOS's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
118
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i Sedan
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slmdgee View Post
Your best bet is click the search button on this thread instead of making another thread of the 2 tunes.... Just look on the first page and you'll see.
dude, sorry to be rude but, please don't give me a wise ass answer bro, if you have nothing good to say then leave the thread alright? And for your information i already did check the other ones and didn't get enough info on the two... hence why i am making this one to get more info and to help others in the future who want to do the same...
__________________
Guten Tag
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:24 PM   #10
VANOS
NFS
VANOS's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
118
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i Sedan
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The BMS N20 Stage1 gives you a lot more for your money. It has MAF
control to avoid hidden tuner codes, solenoid control for pre-N26 motors for smoother tuning and more top end, includes a laptop interface if you ever need/want to datalog the car, and is upgradable to their N20 Stage2 tune currently under development that has CAN access, multiple maps, dash controls, E85 support, and much more.

There is some more info on my site as well.

Mike
Mike, Thank you for your help! I will definitely check it out! I just want something thats definitely reliable and works. And of course, not have trouble taking my car to service.
__________________
Guten Tag
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:30 PM   #11
VANOS
NFS
VANOS's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
118
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i Sedan
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

Thank you all for the input! Looks like I might be going for the BMS Stage 1. But these guys claim that their product makes your car go from 0-60 in just 4.9 secs. I have a hard time believing this. Is there someone who has the tune and actually has done the dyno test themselves. Because i would really like to see how much gain you get, and how fast you really go from 0-60 in a automatic. As you can tell, im simply looking for more speed and power in the car.
__________________
Guten Tag
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #12
VANOS
NFS
VANOS's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
118
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i Sedan
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik.klenke View Post
I have the BMS Stage 1 and am very happy with. Very noticeable power and torque increase but still smooth power delivery.
Thats awesome! But have you done dyno tests to see how much gain you get from the tune? And have you also done the 0-60?

Thanks for the help!
__________________
Guten Tag
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #13
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,573
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
Thank you all for the input! Looks like I might be going for the BMS Stage 1. But these guys claim that their product makes your car go from 0-60 in just 4.9 secs. I have a hard time believing this. Is there someone who has the tune and actually has done the dyno test themselves. Because i would really like to see how much gain you get, and how fast you really go from 0-60 in a automatic. As you can tell, im simply looking for more speed and power in the car.
We have a member or two that confirmed similar results. Granted a P3 gauge is not the same as a vBox, but encouraging results that they also clocked high 4's.
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 05:42 PM   #14
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,573
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
Thats awesome! But have you done dyno tests to see how much gain you get from the tune? And have you also done the 0-60?

Thanks for the help!
I will be redynoing with the tune in about a month.

I have now seen 2-3 dynos, all supporting the claim of 30-35whp peak.
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #15
VANOS
NFS
VANOS's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
118
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i Sedan
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
We have a member or two that confirmed similar results. Granted a P3 gauge is not the same as a vBox, but encouraging results that they also clocked high 4's.
Oh wow! thats great! Would you by any chance know if their cars were auto or manual?
__________________
Guten Tag
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #16
VANOS
NFS
VANOS's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
118
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i Sedan
Join Date: May 2008
Location: N/A

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
I will be redynoing with the tune in about a month.

I have now seen 2-3 dynos, all supporting the claim of 30-35whp peak.
When you do, please definitely let me know and if you can post up the results on the thread. It would be a great for us all to see the results!
__________________
Guten Tag
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #17
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
50
Rep
3,573
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
Oh wow! thats great! Would you by any chance know if their cars were auto or manual?
Think it was an auto. Numbers between the auto and manual are nearly identical.

One of the mags snagged a 13.9 in an auto lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
When you do, please definitely let me know and if you can post up the results on the thread. It would be a great for us all to see the results!
I will. I already have a thread dedicated to my stock dyno and my dyno with exhaust.
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:44 PM   #18
dgzill
Private
0
Rep
58
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328i
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Niceville FL

iTrader: (0)

It sounds like the BMS is the way to go...great gains for little money. I saw an article somewhere that dyno tested it along with a downpipe and intake....The one thing I am getting little info on is the effects on the manufacture's warranty?....any experiences?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #19
Blake P
Kinda Like A Big Deal
United_States
3
Rep
390
Posts

 
Drives: F31 on order
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Fresno, CA

iTrader: (0)

We need to line up some cars with BMS and AFE tunes (no exhaust, intake, IC, etc.) for some side by side comparisons, both from a dig and rolling. Ok, go!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #20
zibawal
Major
United_States
11
Rep
1,063
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 X5D
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SFO BAY AREA

iTrader: (0)

Indeed
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #21
Erik.klenke
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
32
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 328i Sportline
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Durham, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANOS View Post
Thats awesome! But have you done dyno tests to see how much gain you get from the tune? And have you also done the 0-60?

Thanks for the help!
I don't have access to a dyno, but I did a few 0-60 runs with a stop watch just before my install. The best time I got was 5.7 (my car is a manual.) Right after my install, I achieved 4.9 seconds right away on the same road. My previous car was a 07 GTI with APR Stage 1. I really feel the BMS piggy back makes an even bigger difference than the APR Stage 1, which was also very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 07:41 PM   #22
mrtorque
New Member
United_States
1
Rep
17
Posts

 
Drives: '13 328i sport line
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

I started the other BMS vs AFE tune thread. I ended up going with BMS because most the other members had experience with it unlike the AFE tune which is relatively new. So it made sense to go with the more reputable one.
I made no mistake, get the BMS you won't be disappointed. I have shocked others with my "328i" , and It always puts a smile on my face . With the tune, plus a temporary muffler delete (I was really curious how it sounds), and sports +, it surprises me how we can get that power off a n26!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST