F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Help with self-shifting in Automatic 328xi
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-19-2013, 01:12 PM   #1
Phamous
Private First Class
21

 
Phamous's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328xi M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Help with self-shifting in Automatic 328xi

So ever since i got my Bimmer in Sept, I usually drive it in automatic and recently i tried manual in it and its amazing. But i don't really know when you shift up & down.

So what I want to know is:
- What's the difference of driving it "D" then "DS"
- When should I shift up and down in manual?
- Anything else I should know please tell me haha

THANKS
__________________
Picked Up:2013 328i xDrive|Alpine White|///M Sport|Xenons|Coral Red|Moon Roof
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
mjmonjure
Private
United_States
11

 
mjmonjure's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta


Posts: 81
iTrader: (0)

I have noticed that putting it into DS basically does the same thing as putting it in sport mode (the S in DS), but can't say if it tightens up the steering feel which it definitely does in Sport and Sport + mode. Of course if you just leave it there, it shifts automatically until you up or down shift once, then its in full manual mode.

As for when to up shift or down shift, there are no rules, it depends on how aggressive/fast you want to go within a given distance. If you want to get there fast, you could approach redline on every gear. My personal preference is around 4500. For down shifting, again, it depends on your style of driving. I use the transmission to assist with braking sometimes and especially when going around turns I like to keep the revs at least 2500. Just imagine you have a stick, its the same method.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Phamous
Private First Class
21

 
Phamous's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328xi M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmonjure View Post
I have noticed that putting it into DS basically does the same thing as putting it in sport mode (the S in DS), but can't say if it tightens up the steering feel which it definitely does in Sport and Sport + mode. Of course if you just leave it there, it shifts automatically until you up or down shift once, then its in full manual mode.

As for when to up shift or down shift, there are no rules, it depends on how aggressive/fast you want to go within a given distance. If you want to get there fast, you could approach redline on every gear. My personal preference is around 4500. For down shifting, again, it depends on your style of driving. I use the transmission to assist with braking sometimes and especially when going around turns I like to keep the revs at least 2500. Just imagine you have a stick, its the same method.
So what if turn your car to Sport + and DS? is that kind of a bad idea or should I just do one or the other?
Also for down shifting you said you keep your revs at least 2500, so for instance. "im slowing down at a stoplight and in 4th gear, should i start down shifting when its at 2500rpm and keep down shifting at 2500 until im in first gear?"
__________________
Picked Up:2013 328i xDrive|Alpine White|///M Sport|Xenons|Coral Red|Moon Roof
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
Naambezet
Second Lieutenant
Netherlands
3

 
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Netherlands


Posts: 287
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
So what I want to know is:
- What's the difference of driving it "D" then "DS"
DS revs up higher/keeps it in lower gears
Quote:
- When should I shift up and down in manual?
When taking corners fast
Quote:
- Anything else I should know please tell me haha
Nope
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:24 PM   #5
Phamous
Private First Class
21

 
Phamous's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328xi M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

I want to know when I should shift up and down at what RPM's?
__________________
Picked Up:2013 328i xDrive|Alpine White|///M Sport|Xenons|Coral Red|Moon Roof
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:39 PM   #6
Phamous
Private First Class
21

 
Phamous's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328xi M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

So if you put your car in DS, you don't have to shift correct? Just put it in DS and drive the car the way you would in D?
__________________
Picked Up:2013 328i xDrive|Alpine White|///M Sport|Xenons|Coral Red|Moon Roof
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #7
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
18

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York


Posts: 561
iTrader: (0)

If you just push the shift lever to the driver's side, you enter DS, while still maintaining automatic shifting. If you then tip the lever up or down, you enter manual shift mode. Shift up whenever you feel like it. You could shift up at around 2000 rpms, which would basically be like driving in eco-pro, or you could wait till you reach 6000+rpms, and are redline. Just remember that if you keep the revs that high for too long you may overheat.

AS for downshift, up to you entirely.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #8
Phamous
Private First Class
21

 
Phamous's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 328xi M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA


Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Tsuyoi, alright man thanks you cleared up a lot for me.
__________________
Picked Up:2013 328i xDrive|Alpine White|///M Sport|Xenons|Coral Red|Moon Roof
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #9
mjmonjure
Private
United_States
11

 
mjmonjure's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta


Posts: 81
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi M Sport View Post
So what if turn your car to Sport + and DS? is that kind of a bad idea or should I just do one or the other?
Also for down shifting you said you keep your revs at least 2500, so for instance. "im slowing down at a stoplight and in 4th gear, should i start down shifting when its at 2500rpm and keep down shifting at 2500 until im in first gear?"
Downshift (and even up shifting) is a personal preference. Experiment with it shifting at lower RMPs and then gradually start increasing it to where it feels right for you. 2500 on downshift is my preference, but one could easily down shift at 4000 or even 2000.

I do not see any advantage or disadvantage to using the manual shifting while in sport mode. It seems to be the same longer shift durations with either one or the other or both.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
mjmonjure
Private
United_States
11

 
mjmonjure's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta


Posts: 81
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328xi M Sport View Post
So if you put your car in DS, you don't have to shift correct? Just put it in DS and drive the car the way you would in D?
Correct
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #11
jzcrna
Captain
70

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida


Posts: 904
iTrader: (0)

I love sport auto. Especially the pull at 3500-4000 rpms when I'm on the highway. That indeed is my favorite thing about my 335i. The paddles are so well implemented in BMW that Wish more people beside me could appreciate.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:07 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST