F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 340i 2 Coolant Tanks?
Extreme Power House

04-27-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
Minty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

340i 2 Coolant Tanks?

Hello,
I just checked my coolant level and noticed that I had 2 coolant tanks ??

The big one was below the MIN level and the ickle one was above the MAX mark...does that mean my coolant is just right ?

Would any other 340i owner by good enough to have a look and report coolant levels? My engine was slightly warm when I checked it.

Cheers,
Minty
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 04:33 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minty View Post
Hello,
I just checked my coolant level and noticed that I had 2 coolant tanks ??

The big one was below the MIN level and the ickle one was above the MAX mark...does that mean my coolant is just right ?

Would any other 340i owner by good enough to have a look and report coolant levels? My engine was slightly warm when I checked it.

Cheers,
Minty
Your main coolant level is low, supposed to be between the min. - max. markers.

BTW, the second smaller expansion tank is for your coolant-based charge air cooling. It's essentially a separate coolant system with its own electric pump and expansion tank.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
Minty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the reply, any thoughts on why it is low?

I have checked and there are no obvious signs of any leaks, My thought is it was low from new.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2016, 05:25 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Thanks for the reply, any thoughts on why it is low?

I have checked and there are no obvious signs of any leaks, My thought is it was low from new.
Hard to say if it is losing coolant, when you haven't got a baseline to work from. I'd top it up when cold, (between the markers), and see what the next few days indicate. You may not need much coolant to get above the minimum level, top it carefully.

BTW, my N55 engine loses just a little coolant, but only about an egg cup full a year. Wouldn't expect to lose much more than that without some sign of a slight leak.
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2016, 02:47 AM   #5
MarkG_M50d
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X5 M50d

Would the inclusive service pack not include top up of coolant like it does oil?
      04-28-2016, 03:56 AM   #6
Bee Pee
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i auto EB2

Send a message via Skype™ to Bee Pee
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Hard to say if it is losing coolant, when you haven't got a baseline to work from. I'd top it up when cold, (between the markers), and see what the next few days indicate. You may not need much coolant to get above the minimum level, top it carefully.
Good advice ^^^.

If its losing coolant get it back to the dealer to do a pressure test of the system. If that's OK then its likely a new cap will sort it.

FYI my N55 coolant level has not changed since new and cars 2.5 yrs old.
      05-08-2016, 06:40 AM   #7
Minty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi All,
Quick update. Topped up coolant with filtered tap water and the level hasn't moved since :-).

I spoke to my dealer who offered to carry out a compression check but recommended topping up with tap water; I read conflicting information about using tap, distilled or deionised water so I settled on filtered tap water.

I can only think that the dealer didn't check during PDI or there was an airlock. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,
Minty
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2016, 06:54 AM   #8
Lobb
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Your main coolant level is low, supposed to be between the min. - max. markers.

BTW, the second smaller expansion tank is for your coolant-based charge air cooling. It's essentially a separate coolant system with its own electric pump and expansion tank.
Interestingly, one of the significant changes from the N55 to B58. This should give the B58 greater immunity to higher ambient temperature and therefore more stable performance.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 12:22 PM   #9
Minty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Resurrecting this thread as I am still seeing a slight coolant loss. I took it to the dealer back in May who carried out a full pressure check when cold and hot (it must have been hot as they did about 50miles in total!) who reported no leaks. They even removed the engine compartment covers and could see no evidence of any leaks anywhere. The oil is clean so no chance it is getting through any seals.

I just checked my water levels when cold and it is just below the min again.

My question is where the hell is it going? I have probably covered about 3k since May and it has dropped between the max and the min in that time. My thought is the expansion cap is not securing properly (the cap has a lot of white residue around the thread and doesn't feel like if 'locks' in place. This would allow water vapour to vent out and could explain the loss. I think i might just buy a new cap rather than trying to convince the dealer to replace. What do people think?

Cheers,
Minty
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 12:32 PM   #10
WheresMyCar
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 440i MG/CR

There's another thread about coolant warning light.. Worth a read. If more than anything just to raise your awareness.
      08-29-2016, 12:53 PM   #11
Lobb
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Resurrecting this thread as I am still seeing a slight coolant loss. I took it to the dealer back in May who carried out a full pressure check when cold and hot (it must have been hot as they did about 50miles in total!) who reported no leaks. They even removed the engine compartment covers and could see no evidence of any leaks anywhere. The oil is clean so no chance it is getting through any seals.

I just checked my water levels when cold and it is just below the min again.

My question is where the hell is it going? I have probably covered about 3k since May and it has dropped between the max and the min in that time. My thought is the expansion cap is not securing properly (the cap has a lot of white residue around the thread and doesn't feel like if 'locks' in place. This would allow water vapour to vent out and could explain the loss. I think i might just buy a new cap rather than trying to convince the dealer to replace. What do people think?

Cheers,
Minty
A new cap would certainly be worth investing in and may give you a solution.
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2016, 12:58 PM   #12
Rich9600
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport Plus

My wife's B38 engined Mini was below the minimum level after 18 months and 7k miles.

It took only 100-150ml to fill to a reasonable level.

Google suggested similar had happened on other B38 Mini's. No obvious loss of coolant on this car or driveway. I asked at the dealer and they weren't concerned. Just said to top up and if it was less than two tea cups don't worry...

Service pack (March 2015 Mini) does not cover coolant top up!

Old Car MY14 330d Saloon MSport
Appreciate 0