F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Strange Knocking Noise from Steering
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-20-2016, 03:15 PM   #1
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
73
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: BMW F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lancashire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Strange Knocking Noise from Steering

I know this is the F30 forum but many of you have/had F20s and i'm guessing the F30 is the same steering rack of some sort.

Our F21 has started a strange knocking noise from the steering wheel (Servotronic Steering) - it's definitely the steering wheel and not the suspension. When you turn the wheel you get the odd knock every so often and you feel it through the wheel and hear it (It's not loud, you have to turn the radio off to hear it). It does it whether it's in Normal or Sport mode.

My question is, is this normal and does anyone else experience it in their F20/F30s?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
amsbmw
Lieutenant
30
Rep
533
Posts

Drives: 3 series
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Like this ?

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1264026
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:40 PM   #3
Senna
F31 335D Msport
Senna's Avatar
United Kingdom
45
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: 2016 F31 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peterborough

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
I know this is the F30 forum but many of you have/had F20s and i'm guessing the F30 is the same steering rack of some sort.

Our F21 has started a strange knocking noise from the steering wheel (Servotronic Steering) - it's definitely the steering wheel and not the suspension. When you turn the wheel you get the odd knock every so often and you feel it through the wheel and hear it (It's not loud, you have to turn the radio off to hear it). It does it whether it's in Normal or Sport mode.

My question is, is this normal and does anyone else experience it in their F20/F30s?
Steering rack, known fault, stick to your guns and get it replaced under warranty,I did and it cured the problem
__________________
F31 335d X Drive EB11
Appreciate 1
      05-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #4
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
73
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: BMW F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lancashire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsbmw View Post
I found this just after i'd posted!

Not quite, it's no where near as bad as that or loud but yes a very similar noise. It's looking like a common problem but don't think they'd even consider replacing the steering rack on mine yet.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #5
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
73
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: BMW F21 118d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lancashire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna View Post
Steering rack, known fault, stick to your guns and get it replaced under warranty,I did and it cured the problem
How bad was yours when it was replaced?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2016, 05:37 AM   #6
Senna
F31 335D Msport
Senna's Avatar
United Kingdom
45
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: 2016 F31 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peterborough

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
How bad was yours when it was replaced?
It was not bad at all, in fact did to do it when going over pot holes in a straight line, much to my embarrassment when a BMW technician drove it down a country road they use to identify where any knocks or rattles are coming from.
I went away feeling like a bit of a plonker, then realised it only did it when steering wheel was on lock, say turning into a car park with a dropped kerb.
Took it back to same technician and he drove it over some dropped kerbs, he heard it then !
Even then the dealership were not going to replace it as BMW have issued a statement about the problem stating it is not dangerous and would not fail an MOT when it was due.
As you can understand I was not happy and on the recommendation of a forum member complained to BMW finance.
They were very good and authorised the rack replacement under warranty.
That cured it, it was soooo much better.
Stick to your guns and they will replace yours.
__________________
F31 335d X Drive EB11
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #7
SeanSkiVT
Bimmer Fanatic
United_States
4
Rep
48
Posts

Drives: '13 335i | '04 ZHP
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna View Post
It was not bad at all, in fact did to do it when going over pot holes in a straight line, much to my embarrassment when a BMW technician drove it down a country road they use to identify where any knocks or rattles are coming from.
I went away feeling like a bit of a plonker, then realised it only did it when steering wheel was on lock, say turning into a car park with a dropped kerb.
Took it back to same technician and he drove it over some dropped kerbs, he heard it then !
Even then the dealership were not going to replace it as BMW have issued a statement about the problem stating it is not dangerous and would not fail an MOT when it was due.
As you can understand I was not happy and on the recommendation of a forum member complained to BMW finance.
They were very good and authorised the rack replacement under warranty.
That cured it, it was soooo much better.
Stick to your guns and they will replace yours.
Senna,

Sorry to post this video in so many threads, but did it sound like this?


This is something the dealer has diagnosed as the VSS and says is normal. I think it's a bad strut or mount. Trying to determine what I want to insist they look at when I go back Friday.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 03:49 PM   #8
Senna
F31 335D Msport
Senna's Avatar
United Kingdom
45
Rep
337
Posts

Drives: 2016 F31 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Peterborough

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanSkiVT View Post
Senna,

Sorry to post this video in so many threads, but did it sound like this?


This is something the dealer has diagnosed as the VSS and says is normal. I think it's a bad strut or mount. Trying to determine what I want to insist they look at when I go back Friday.
Sorry not been on for a while,did you get it sorted?
I am sure it is your steering rack,get BMW US involved and demand it is fixed.
That is what I did.
__________________
F31 335d X Drive EB11
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:05 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST