F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > New Lexus IS Chief Engineer - Goal is once again to try to overtake BMW 3 Series
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #133
Rich@GTBPerformance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rich@GTBPerformance's Avatar
229
Rep
4,410
Posts


 
Drives: 2011 E92 JZB M3, 2000 750iL
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: North New Jersey

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispykreme View Post
Ok- you are comparing a hybrid to a turbo car.

GS350 F sport trounced 535i. Those are direct competitor.

The fact is F10 is softer, slower, and porkier to drive.

So how is this not a knock out???
I'm comparing what Lexus has chosen to market as their top tier premium Large sedan. What they put under the hood is their choice, but if they want to play in that market, then they've made their bed.

And yes, the Motor Trend comparison does show the F10 being edged out by the GS, but that is just one comparison. Neither Road & Track or Car & Driver have done their comparisons yet so I wouldn't call the subjective musings of one auto journalist a "Trouncing"
__________________
Email : rich@gtbperformance.com | Web : www.gtbperformance.com | Tel : 973 429 2839



GTB Performance is a supporting member of Bimmerpost and the BMW Car Club of America, NJ Chapter
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2013, 10:55 PM   #134
mjmonjure
Private
mjmonjure's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboucher30 View Post
I like the look of the M4 concept. I don't know why some people look for reasons not to like it. Can't please everyone, that's fact!
I agree, the 4 series is very nice looking, I just wish they would leave the steering alone, no ASS, and just the normal driving experience, no eco pro or comfort modes
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 12:01 PM   #135
KneeDragr
First Lieutenant
9
Rep
361
Posts

 
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arlington VA

iTrader: (0)

I read a first drive of the new IS350 F-Sport and it wasnt very flattering. Sounds like its strait line performance will be similar to a 328i but cost and fuel economy similar to a 335i. They were not really impressed with the handling either. They thought the grill looked stupid also, but the interior was praised.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:40 PM   #136
badassfajita
Second Lieutenant
3
Rep
221
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 e92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Houston

iTrader: (0)

I got to see the new IS at the auto show in Houston this past weekend and....I think it looks a bit crazy! Crazy good that is. They definitely took a chance with the design and it may not have the "classic" appeal that the e46 had (which the e90 lost IMO), but it looked good to my eyes. The car was on a revolving platform, so I couldn't sit inside it and comment on the interior. But the exterior is so bold that it most are going to love it or hate it, nothing in between. I believe the former, especially if it drives well.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #137
Agamemnon
First Lieutenant
Canada
3
Rep
379
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335ix EB2, Mppk, Akra
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Richmond BC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KneeDragr View Post
I read a first drive of the new IS350 F-Sport and it wasnt very flattering. Sounds like its strait line performance will be similar to a 328i but cost and fuel economy similar to a 335i. They were not really impressed with the handling either. They thought the grill looked stupid also, but the interior was praised.
You wouldn't have a link to that first drive story would you?

I agree with you that this Lexus isn't going to be pushing the 335 off the cliff anytime soon. I think the Infiniti Q50 is a better styling job than the Lexus but it probably won't drive any better than the outgoing G37.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #138
KneeDragr
First Lieutenant
9
Rep
361
Posts

 
Drives: Planning 2015 ED :)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Arlington VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agamemnon View Post
You wouldn't have a link to that first drive story would you?
Sorry, it was on FlipBoard.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 11:45 AM   #139
zanye08
2008 BMW 328XI Coupe Crimson Red/Coral
United_States
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 328XI Coupe CR/CR
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Yonkers, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
BMW is looking more and more like Lexus, Lexus is trying to look like BMW....go figure....
Anyways, this new Lexus design is not for me. I was hoping that they would bring back some of the original IS 300 style with modern and more aggressive lines.
Oh....and no manual transmission???
+1

I think everyone has been waiting since 2006 for the evolution of the original IS 300 design. Was the best design they had and the closest they have ever come to BMW driving dynamics..They jumped the shark in 2006 and never looked back...
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #140
alex2364
Captain
alex2364's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
710
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zanye08 View Post
+1

I think everyone has been waiting since 2006 for the evolution of the original IS 300 design. Was the best design they had and the closest they have ever come to BMW driving dynamics..They jumped the shark in 2006 and never looked back...
I don't know the driving dynamics of the 1st gen IS300 but the ricer tail lights killed it for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #141
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
51
Rep
3,577
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
I don't know the driving dynamics of the 1st gen IS300 but the ricer tail lights killed it for me.
Those were not ricer, its all the knock off of those taillights that made for ricers.

The IS was called the Altezza in Japan, so all those lights were called Altezzas, the ones you find on Civics.
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 12:45 PM   #142
alex2364
Captain
alex2364's Avatar
United_States
12
Rep
710
Posts

 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Those were not ricer, its all the knock off of those taillights that made for ricers.

The IS was called the Altezza in Japan, so all those lights were called Altezzas, the ones you find on Civics.
And the difference is...?? Those tail lights became popular way before the IS300 had them.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #143
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
51
Rep
3,577
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
And the difference is...?? Those tail lights became popular way before the IS300 had them.
That's just it. It was the IS/Altezza that made them popular, not the other way around.
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #144
zanye08
2008 BMW 328XI Coupe Crimson Red/Coral
United_States
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 328XI Coupe CR/CR
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Yonkers, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex2364 View Post
I don't know the driving dynamics of the 1st gen IS300 but the ricer tail lights killed it for me.
The driving dynamics were way better than all the other models that followed, it was a small, rwd sedan with handling and steering feel similar to BMW's before BMW started messing with it. The car did not sell well because it was "un-lexus like"..that pretty much says it all..lol

I did not mind the lights on the IS300, but on mustangs/accords/bmw's etc just looked

Kinda like seeing angel eyes on non bmw's
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 09:14 AM   #145
zanye08
2008 BMW 328XI Coupe Crimson Red/Coral
United_States
0
Rep
54
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 328XI Coupe CR/CR
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Yonkers, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
That's just it. It was the IS/Altezza that made them popular, not the other way around.
Very few people know that..The Altezza came out in 1998..That same year it was car of the year in Japan. After the exposure, the lights were copied for the JDM market Hondas which were present in the US (accord/civic/preludes) etc So the we had 3 years of that trend here with no IS 300 until late 2000/early 2001. By then it was a plague of ricers of all kind. Even ricer's had no clue why they were called "Altezza's"...lol
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 06:21 PM   #146
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
51
Rep
3,577
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zanye08 View Post
Very few people know that..The Altezza came out in 1998..That same year it was car of the year in Japan. After the exposure, the lights were copied for the JDM market Hondas which were present in the US (accord/civic/preludes) etc So the we had 3 years of that trend here with no IS 300 until late 2000/early 2001. By then it was a plague of ricers of all kind. Even ricer's had no clue why they were called "Altezza's"...lol
Exactly.

But it's not the blame for the IS lol.
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2013, 07:16 AM   #147
TT6mT
New Member
0
Rep
28
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 AW F30 M Sportline 6mt
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bay Area!!

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Fun to drive would mean it needs turbo and 6mt. At least a real manual transmission. I was interested in the ISF when it first came out, but was bummed it didnt come in manual.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 08:34 PM   #148
mjmonjure
Private
mjmonjure's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
81
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (0)

Fun to Drive... umm.. seems the left hand of Toyota (Lexus) doesn't know what the right hand (Scion FR-S/Suburu BRZ) is doing..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 11:25 PM   #149
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
4
Rep
419
Posts

 
Drives: Whitetintedwindows
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFB02 View Post
+1

Also, a BMW is a BMW but Audi is a Volkswagen.
Nice that the VW R8 can go faster around a track than any BMW and VW's RS5 can go around the track faster than your BMW.
Also nice that Lexus also makes a faster car than any BMW in the LFA. Until BMW makes a production car faster than Audi/VW and Toyota/Lexus than maybe some of you should just think before you spout out crap.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:15 AM   #150
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,630
Posts

 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I think Willie from the "Swamp People" show on History Channel said it best (regarding alligator hunting):

"If you think you can come in here and do this yourself...well, good luck to ya!"

The same applies to building the "ultimate driving machine"...
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE

Last edited by roundel335; 04-03-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 09:24 AM   #151
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
51
Rep
3,577
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
Nice that the VW R8 can go faster around a track than any BMW and VW's RS5 can go around the track faster than your BMW.
Also nice that Lexus also makes a faster car than any BMW in the LFA. Until BMW makes a production car faster than Audi/VW and Toyota/Lexus than maybe some of you should just think before you spout out crap.
The LFA is a $400k car that is not very competitive with other Hyper Cars with a clunky out of date transmission and without the pedigree of racing like a Ferrari. It's a halo car that Lexus makes no money or almost no money on.

It's a pretty weak argument for this thread.
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:36 PM   #152
ToyotaBMW
Lieutenant
4
Rep
419
Posts

 
Drives: Whitetintedwindows
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
The LFA is a $400k car that is not very competitive with other Hyper Cars with a clunky out of date transmission and without the pedigree of racing like a Ferrari. It's a halo car that Lexus makes no money or almost no money on.

It's a pretty weak argument for this thread.
What is weak about the argument? You had some fanboys here saying that Lexus is just a Toyota and Audi just a VW. All I said was that both these manufacturers build faster cars than BMW in a straight line and around a track.
Tell me which part of this is not true?
It doesn't matter that it is $400k, and it doesn't have the pedigree of Ferrari, or that they lose money on the car, the point was to point out to some fanboys that Lexus makes a faster car than BMW that is in production. So before some of these guys say BMW is a BMW and a Lexus is a Toyota they shouldn't overlook this FACT. Don't say that BMW can make a faster car than the LFA or R8 because the fact is they haven't made one that is a production car.

Also BMW has chosen Toyota to make a sport car with them for a reason.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:40 PM   #153
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
51
Rep
3,577
Posts

 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaBMW View Post
What is weak about the argument? You had some fanboys here saying that Lexus is just a Toyota and Audi just a VW. All I said was that both these manufacturers build faster cars than BMW in a straight line and around a track.
Tell me which part of this is not true?
It doesn't matter that it is $400k, and it doesn't have the pedigree of Ferrari, or that they lose money on the car, the point was to point out to some fanboys that Lexus makes a faster car than BMW that is in production. So before some of these guys say BMW is a BMW and a Lexus is a Toyota they shouldn't overlook this FACT.

Also BMW has chosen Toyota to make a sport car with them for a reason.
I don't agree with them, but I also find it far removed with the validity of your point as well.

I am sorry, but the LFA does little for Lexus. The IS-F is a better story as it gave 85-90% percent of the E90 M3 experience. That to me is more compelling and relevant. Lexus' attempt at a hyper car is a flawed one and outclassed by it's competition. BMW does not have a hyper car offering, that does not mean it fails in anyway just because Lexus does.

Some of Lexus products really are Toyotas, that's not an opinion. The Es350 is now largely an Avalon, the CT is a fair bit based on Prius bones, the LX SUV is a re-grilled Landcruiser. Now saying ALL Lexus' are Toyotas, that is simply an incorrect statement.
__________________
'98 M Roadster S/C @11-16ps
'06 Saab 9-5 wagon 5mt Aero+ Tuned
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 06:31 PM   #154
Frank_NJ
Senior Member
Frank_NJ's Avatar
12
Rep
631
Posts

 
Drives: 335i xDrive Sport
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: NJ Shore

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Frank_NJ Send a message via MSN to Frank_NJ Send a message via Yahoo to Frank_NJ
Simply said BMW is a BMW where a Lexus is a fancy Toyota. They can try but never will come close to the bench mark of the 3 series.
__________________
2014 335ix Sedan Sport Line
Sapphire Black/Black Leather/ Anthracite wood
Loaded except for Active Cruise Control
----------------------------------------------
On order 2015 F80 M3 Tanzanite Blue loaded
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST