F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Navigation (NBT) Retrofit?
Steve Thomas BMW

02-07-2015, 07:41 AM   #1
e46m3to335i
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Question Navigation (NBT) Retrofit?

Hi,

I will taking delivery of my M235i in a couple months. When I ordered it, I already had plans of retrofitting the NBT nav. I posted this in the 2er forum as well, but figured it couldn't hurt to post it here as well since the F30 platform is the same as far as the NBT retrofit goes.

With that being said, I have spent several hours researching what is required to complete this retrofit and to say the least, the info I have seen is somewhat scattered and conflicting.

It seems like most if not all of the hardware is readily available to perform the retro but what I am unsure of is what is exactly needed in different scenarios. For example:

- What would be needed to complete the retrofit if I purchased the NBT head unit, screen, touch pad controller, and the activation emulator box? Would I need to do any further coding with the use of the emulator? Do I need to add any other cables or a GPS receiver?

- Same question as above but if I don't purchase and install the activation emulator, can I code everything else that the emulator does?

- Will the standard idrive controller from a non nav(tech package) M235i work with the NBT nav after it has been retrofitted or does it require an idrive controller from a nav equipped car?

I really just need some clarification on what hardware/coding is "needed" and what "can" be used in its place with and without using the activation emulator. If it helps, my car will be built with the following packages:

- Premium
- Park assist
- Auto high beams
- Heated front seats

Here's the emulator's I'm referring to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-NBT-F2x-..._Tools&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.de/itm/STECK-VARIANT...item27e3340403

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

-Nick

Wifey's Ride: 2013 BMW 135is Coupe / 6MT / DSBM / HK / ZPP / #268 of 586
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #2
kitster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d M Sport

In a nutshell, you will need:

- NBT
- 8.8" ProNav Screen + the cable that connects the screen to the NBT.
- Nav iDrive controller, but you can use your existing non Nav one, you just won't have a Nav specific button. If you want to use the touch function then you will need to buy the handwriting module.
- Emulator. You can't code the emulator, this needs to be brought if you want to use the Nav features.
- GPS module

Assuming you don't have the combox or coming from the Business Nav, then its a straight replacement operation and coding exercise. A lot depends on specific specifications. I'm based in the UK so have no idea what is included in the Premium package, its not sold here. I've come from the non-nav + combox and I've helped my brother retrofit the NBT with non-nav and no combox, that combo was a straight replacement + coding.

The eBay links emulators look like the right ones. This is the one I brought: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Plug-and-p...item3a8fbb7d61

Have look in this thread http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=921688 for more info, a lot of it won't be relevant because some of the retrofitters are coming from the CIC to NBT. But it at least gives you an idea of what to expect.

Last edited by kitster; 02-07-2015 at 11:43 AM.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:36 PM   #3
e46m3to335i
Captain
Germany
Rep

Kitster,

I appreciate the through reply!! The premium package includes the following:

• Auto-dimming interior, exterior mirrors, and rearview mirror
• Comfort Access keyless entry
• Satellite radio with 1 year subscription
• Universal garage-door opener
• Dakota Leather

I can't speak for the UK M235i models but do know the US models come standard with USB and hands free calling(Bluetooth). Not sure if that means I already have a COMBOX or not???

Are you saying that there may be a chance that my handsfree or USB won't work after I complete the retrofit even with the proper coding performed?

-Nick

Appreciate 0
      02-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
kitster
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320d M Sport

I got the combox because I specced EBT without the Nav. When you get your car, you can check in the floor of your boot, it looks like a silver amp:

So if you don't have combox then you can just code EBT, since the NBT has the combox built in. If you do have the combox then all Bluetooth, USB, AUX and Mics will be routing back to it, you'll have to decided to either pull/rewire them back to the NBT.

I decided to just buy an additional Bluetooth adapter, USB cables and rewire the mics, so I could do it without ripping apart my car. As above, if you don't have the combox (sounds like you don't), it'll just be a straight swap + coding and you'll be good to go.
Appreciate 1
      02-07-2015, 01:10 PM   #5
e46m3to335i
Captain
Germany
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
I got the combox because I specced EBT without the Nav. When you get your car, you can check in the floor of your boot, it looks like a silver amp:

So if you don't have combox then you can just code EBT, since the NBT has the combox built in. If you do have the combox then all Bluetooth, USB, AUX and Mics will be routing back to it, you'll have to decided to either pull/rewire them back to the NBT.

I decided to just buy an additional Bluetooth adapter, USB cables and rewire the mics, so I could do it without ripping apart my car. As above, if you don't have the combox (sounds like you don't), it'll just be a straight swap + coding and you'll be good to go.
Thanks for clarifying Kitster!

Appreciate 0