F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > Weight Reduction For Track
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-01-2013, 10:31 PM   #1
JMK007
Private First Class
United_States
19

 
Drives: 328i Sport Line, 6MT, RWD
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicago, IL.


Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

Weight Reduction For Track

Those who have tracked cars for a while know weight reduction is a great way to improve performance on the track in every regard (ie., acceleration, braking, and cornering). In my previous e36 M3, I could drop considerable weight by quickly removing the full spare, tools, the rear be bench seat, and using light weight wheels.

On the F30, it will be harder to drop significant weight since we have no spare tire to begin with. Does anyone know what can be easily removed or done on the F30 to reduce 100 to 150 lbs while keeping it fully streetable?

Light weight wheels, particularly good quality 17" track wheels, should be good for about 30 lbs. I have not yet tried to remove and weigh the rear bench seat let alone the entire back seat. Nor have I removed and weighed the tools or trunk liner. Has anyone done any of this yet? Other free or cheap weight reduction for the track would include a light weight battery (-20 lbs approx) and a half tank of gas (-40 lbs approx). Any other easy, free or cheap ideas other than going on a personal diet?
__________________
SCCA & Midwestern Council W2W, '91 Spec Miata, '07
NASA TTD Champion, Midwest, '99 M3, '09
Midwstrn Council TT Champion, BS, '10 GTI, '10 &'11
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
mikew2069
Major
37

 
mikew2069's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i MSport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Houston


Posts: 1,314
iTrader: (1)

The runflats are heavy as hell. Switching my stock 18s to 19" Forgestars w/ Michelin PSS tires is going to save me 10lbs of unsprung weight on each corner! That's just nuts.
__________________
2013 F30 335i ///M-Sport
Forgestar/Challenge/BMS JB4
Wagner/Evo Race/M-Performance
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 11:44 AM   #3
pkimM3r
Banned
135

 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles


Posts: 7,321
iTrader: (0)

On the weight im not too certain other than what you have already said. I think if you went with a track ded'd set would be a great start. I dont know if removing the bench is even worth it. Lookin for some tires to fit with 17" stockers that can track well. I can just drive slow in the rain lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #4
jbass524
Captain
36

 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal


Posts: 983
iTrader: (2)

Going with APEX 17" ARC-8s and some extreme performance tires, 245/40 square. The wheels weigh 16 lbs. and change. Those with NITTO NT01s would be a great handling upgrade. Camber plates would be awesome too.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2013, 03:01 AM   #5
einlanzer
Private
1

 
einlanzer's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 328i Sport
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal


Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

just remove the spare tire and jack! Oh wait... XD

apex wheels are serious business though
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #6
Turboedv6
Private First Class
6

 
Drives: '13 Apline White Sportline 328
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Boston, MA


Posts: 169
iTrader: (0)

I just do the take a dump weight mod 5 min before I make a pass.
__________________
2013 Alpine White 328xi Sport Line
2005 Summit White Chevy 2500 CC Duramax (stock F30 killer)
2005 Wicked White Evo 8 11.71 @ 117mph (stock turbo)
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #7
mocohead
First Lieutenant
24

 
Drives: 2012 328i (ED)/ 2011 328i (ED)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA


Posts: 397
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboedv6 View Post
I just do the take a dump weight mod 5 min before I make a pass.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
mocohead
First Lieutenant
24

 
Drives: 2012 328i (ED)/ 2011 328i (ED)
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: CA


Posts: 397
iTrader: (0)

It seems to me that you would want to do things that both add performance and subtract weight. The comments about wheels and tires are spot on! But also think about a lighter exhaust system, battery, brake rotors and maybe taking the trunk carpet out.

Short of stripping the car for dedicated track duty (not a bad idea - get a Hurricane Sandy car, strip it, cage it, stand-alone ECU...!) I think those ideas are about as far as we can go and still maintain the car as a DD.

If you were really serious, I guess you could swap the bottom seat frame for the manually adjustable seat from the euro 316i. Getting rid of the adjuster motors would probably save quite a few pounds.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:30 AM   #9
GET A GUN
Private
4

 
Drives: 2013 335i F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Bakersfield, CA


Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMK007 View Post
Those who have tracked cars for a while know weight reduction is a great way to improve performance on the track in every regard (ie., acceleration, braking, and cornering). In my previous e36 M3, I could drop considerable weight by quickly removing the full spare, tools, the rear be bench seat, and using light weight wheels.

On the F30, it will be harder to drop significant weight since we have no spare tire to begin with. Does anyone know what can be easily removed or done on the F30 to reduce 100 to 150 lbs while keeping it fully streetable?

Light weight wheels, particularly good quality 17" track wheels, should be good for about 30 lbs. I have not yet tried to remove and weigh the rear bench seat let alone the entire back seat. Nor have I removed and weighed the tools or trunk liner. Has anyone done any of this yet? Other free or cheap weight reduction for the track would include a light weight battery (-20 lbs approx) and a half tank of gas (-40 lbs approx). Any other easy, free or cheap ideas other than going on a personal diet?
The passenger seat and rear flip downs are worth atleast 100 lbs.
takes about 10 minutes to remove.
__________________
2013 335i F30 N55
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 11:22 PM   #10
jbass524
Captain
36

 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal


Posts: 983
iTrader: (2)

Here is my F30 with track wheels at Bimmerfest. The APEX ARC-8s are 17X9" ET42 with no spacers. The wheels weigh about 17 lbs. each. This is a really clean fit even without camber plates.

Here are the details:
APEX ARC-8s 17X9" ET42
Hoosier R6 245/45/17
Suspension: KW V3
Camber ft.: -0.7
Camber rr.: -1.9


F30-ARC-8-satin-black-17s by ApexRaceParts, on Flickr
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
58

 
krnnerdboy's Avatar
 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal


Posts: 2,095
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524
Going with APEX 17" ARC-8s and some extreme performance tires, 245/40 square. The wheels weigh 16 lbs. and change. Those with NITTO NT01s would be a great handling upgrade. Camber plates would be awesome too.
You don't think the tires are too small?

Op: One of the first mods I do is swap my odyssey pc680 in and save 30 lbs
__________________

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #12
jbass524
Captain
36

 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal


Posts: 983
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
You don't think the tires are too small?

Op: One of the first mods I do is swap my odyssey pc680 in and save 30 lbs
The 245/40/17s are too small. Hoosier makes a 245/45/17.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 12:16 PM   #13
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
58

 
krnnerdboy's Avatar
 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal


Posts: 2,095
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
You don't think the tires are too small?

Op: One of the first mods I do is swap my odyssey pc680 in and save 30 lbs
The 245/40/17s are too small. Hoosier makes a 245/45/17.
Thanks, Hoosiers would be too much tire for my setup. I'm looking along the lines of nt01 or federal rsr, which are available in 255/40/17, but I think that maybe too much width for my stock 17's
__________________

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
jbass524
Captain
36

 
Drives: 1995 E36 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Norcal


Posts: 983
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Thanks, Hoosiers would be too much tire for my setup. I'm looking along the lines of nt01 or federal rsr, which are available in 255/40/17, but I think that maybe too much width for my stock 17's
The NT01 is available as a 245/45ZR17 also if you're sticking with stock wheels.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 05:18 PM   #15
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
58

 
krnnerdboy's Avatar
 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal


Posts: 2,095
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass524
Quote:
Originally Posted by krnnerdboy View Post
Thanks, Hoosiers would be too much tire for my setup. I'm looking along the lines of nt01 or federal rsr, which are available in 255/40/17, but I think that maybe too much width for my stock 17's
The NT01 is available as a 245/45ZR17 also if you're sticking with stock wheels.
Nice, thanks for the heads up! My 328i is going to double as my track car until I figure out which direction I want to go on my next track car. Whatever the case, I'm sure the f30 is going to be more engaging than my e63 m6
__________________

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 06:09 PM   #16
MyFragileHalogen
Private First Class
7

 
Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United States


Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GET A GUN View Post
The passenger seat and rear flip downs are worth atleast 100 lbs.
takes about 10 minutes to remove.
Could you tell us how to remove those flips? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #17
DVC
Captain
United_States
32

 
DVC's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern NJ


Posts: 979
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GET A GUN View Post
The passenger seat and rear flip downs are worth atleast 100 lbs.
takes about 10 minutes to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by godnamnit View Post
Could you tell us how to remove those flips? Thanks!
+1... while I think I'll need to retain the passenger seat (lest my instructor squat on the floor), saving ~50lbs on the rear flips might be worth it.
__________________
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 12:16 AM   #18
MyFragileHalogen
Private First Class
7

 
Drives: 2013 328i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United States


Posts: 120
iTrader: (0)

My guess is that first we pull the 9 off (would it be safe to just grab it and take it off?)


and then unscrew 4... but let me patiently wait for his answer.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 02:14 AM   #19
sygazelle
Second Lieutenant
9

 
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: San Francisco


Posts: 245
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by einlanzer View Post
just remove the spare tire and jack! Oh wait... XD

apex wheels are serious business though
While you're at it, remove the dipstick.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST