F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Passive setup suspension owners
RW Carbon
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-12-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
jimboss
Private First Class
 
Drives: F31 320d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Herts

Posts: 150
iTrader: (0)

Passive setup suspension owners

I decided against plumping for the adaptive M-Sport suspension on my 320d M Sport Touring for various reasons but namely, (rightly or wrongly), due to the potential risk of more going wrong with them and the subsequent the cost of repair/replacement over the conventional passive setup. The car is due to arrive in the next couple of weeks and I may end up regretting my decision but I do not plan to use the car for spirited driving as itís first and foremost a family car.

So the question is to all of you that do not have the adaptive suspensionÖ..how are you finding the driving experience? do you regret your choice? Iíll be particularly interested in the views of the non six cylinder diesel M sport touring owners for obvious reasons

Thanks
jimboss is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 03:19 PM   #2
Mungogrubb
Private
 
Mungogrubb's Avatar
 
Drives: 328i M Spt,SpAuto,GSilver
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Northamptonshire, UK

Posts: 94
iTrader: (0)

Talking

Hi Jimboss, sounds like you made the right call. I am really pleased with the comfort/sharpness compromise on my M Sport. It really is much, much more comfortable than my old 3 series M Sport and reminds me of a 5 series M Sport i had however when it does get twisty and you want a bit of fun it is better again than both of them.

You'll find some on here say wheel diameter will affect the ride, i am not so sure until you get in to the 20" range. As it goes i have the 18" rims, would have preferred the 19" but spent the bucks on the 8 Sp Sport auto instead.

Pretty sure you'll love it and wont miss what you never had
Mungogrubb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
jamesems
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i msport f30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: San Diego

Posts: 388
iTrader: (0)

I think the Msport standard suspension was ok. Fairly sporty yet comfy for daily driving. A little to much body roll for my taste. I swapped it out for the M performance suspension and its much improved, at least to my tastes.
jamesems is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2013, 01:43 PM   #4
jimboss
Private First Class
 
Drives: F31 320d M Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Herts

Posts: 150
iTrader: (0)

Thanks guys, sounds like I won't be disappointed.
jimboss is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #5
NISFAN
Brigadier General
 
NISFAN's Avatar
 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

Posts: 3,909
iTrader: (0)

I actually think the Passive is the better suspension. Driven them back to back to back now and the spring damper rates are spot on on the passive. The adaptive are a little off in both positions.

Seriously considering deleting adaptive.
__________________
NISFAN is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 04:43 AM   #6
dopper99
Brigadier General
 
dopper99's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: UK

Posts: 3,889
iTrader: (1)

I'm surprised at the comments against adaptive. Reading other threads nearly everyone thinks its the best think since sliced bread and I havent really read any negative comments!

With regards to any part going wrong, and if you are going to own the car longer than 3 years, then I'd say its wise to take out the extended warranty. There is more than can go wrong with a car than adaptive suspension and BMWs are not cheap to fix!!!

I wouldn't let wear and tear on components put me off ordering them
dopper99 is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 04:58 AM   #7
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,385
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
I actually think the Passive is the better suspension. Driven them back to back to back now and the spring damper rates are spot on on the passive. The adaptive are a little off in both positions.

Seriously considering deleting adaptive.
Interesting, but not surprised from some of your driving comments in other posts. Can you elaborate on your conclusions.

Is it that you are, as a driver, tuned to passive suspensions with fixed and predictable reactions?

When you say "adaptive are a little off in both positions" is that because the damping is following the "soft where possible and firm when necessary" concept? Or some other observation?

BTW, when you say "delete" are you intending to pull the plugs as it were, and run on the default firm setting? Or change the dampers to the passive setup?

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 07:49 AM   #8
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
 
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

Posts: 5,245
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesems View Post
I think the Msport standard suspension was ok. Fairly sporty yet comfy for daily driving. A little to much body roll for my taste. I swapped it out for the M performance suspension and its much improved, at least to my tastes.
+1
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
JOHNBMWM5 is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
NISFAN
Brigadier General
 
NISFAN's Avatar
 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

Posts: 3,909
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Interesting, but not surprised from some of your driving comments in other posts. Can you elaborate on your conclusions.

Is it that you are, as a driver, tuned to passive suspensions with fixed and predictable reactions?

When you say "adaptive are a little off in both positions" is that because the damping is following the "soft where possible and firm when necessary" concept? Or some other observation?

BTW, when you say "delete" are you intending to pull the plugs as it were, and run on the default firm setting? Or change the dampers to the passive setup?

HighlandPete
Hi Pete

I am used to 'competition' style suspension.......upside down shocks, coil overs, etc......and one thing is for sure, for a given spring rate on a given car, there is only one set of perfect damping settings.

The passive M Sport suspension has had hundreds of laps round the Nurburgring, type set up all to achieve these 'ultimate' settings. An option like adaptive would have never had nearly as much attention.

The adaptive uses the same spring rate I believe, but has a softer and harder damper setting than the passive......not everyone will, but I can feel it is 'not quite right' in either setting.

F30 adaptive is also quite a simple system, solenoid valve opens up a secondary port, so on-off type adjustment.

Soft is under-damped and 'springy', not nice......and the sport setting is over damped, so much so that the suspension patters when the going gets rough. It also gets crashy in sport over some bumps.

I have done some pretty hard testing, and find that the passive is actually the better set up. Ideally the spring rate would be slightly harder with more damping to get really sporty, but for a road car, passive is not at all bad.

Regarding deleting it, I have just re-ordered an F30.........mine has been damaged and is not coming back to me

I get to fully spec up F30 number 2.....active suspension has been deleted, VSS has been optioned as has HK.

Although my mind is being drawn to an M3
__________________
NISFAN is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-21-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

Posts: 4,385
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Hi Pete

.....The adaptive uses the same spring rate I believe, but has a softer and harder damper setting than the passive......not everyone will, but I can feel it is 'not quite right' in either setting.

F30 adaptive is also quite a simple system, solenoid valve opens up a secondary port, so on-off type adjustment.

Soft is under-damped and 'springy', not nice......and the sport setting is over damped, so much so that the suspension patters when the going gets rough. It also gets crashy in sport over some bumps......
Ah, understand where you are coming from. What you are saying is something I've mused on, knowing there must be compromises on the damping/spring rates. I suppose it is the only way BMW can set it up to get the best off the peg balance/compromise for each adaptive setting. I haven't actually tried the F30 adaptive suspension, as my attention went to the 5-series, and therefore to the more advanced VDC with the 3-settings. I do feel the 'normal' mode, the mid range damping is the best setting, in the 5-series for general use. Again it is probably the best matched damping for the spring rate, with a bit of compromise each way on the comfort and sport settings. It is in that mid setting where the active part does give a better ride and handling balance, compared to the passive standard suspension on the 5-series cars, from my test driving. In my case I was after the best ride quality, as my typical roads are a bit challenging and sport suspension is just too harsh a ride.

I'm sure the 3-series would be a better setup if it had the 3-mode active system, or even the EDC-K damping of the M3, where there are two controlled (active) modes and one uncontrolled passive like sport setting.

HighlandPete
HighlandPete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #11
derekh929
Captain
 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Ah, understand where you are coming from. What you are saying is something I've mused on, knowing there must be compromises on the damping/spring rates. I suppose it is the only way BMW can set it up to get the best off the peg balance/compromise for each adaptive setting. I haven't actually tried the F30 adaptive suspension, as my attention went to the 5-series, and therefore to the more advanced VDC with the 3-settings. I do feel the 'normal' mode, the mid range damping is the best setting, in the 5-series for general use. Again it is probably the best matched damping for the spring rate, with a bit of compromise each way on the comfort and sport settings. It is in that mid setting where the active part does give a better ride and handling balance, compared to the passive standard suspension on the 5-series cars, from my test driving. In my case I was after the best ride quality, as my typical roads are a bit challenging and sport suspension is just too harsh a ride.

I'm sure the 3-series would be a better setup if it had the 3-mode active system, or even the EDC-K damping of the M3, where there are two controlled (active) modes and one uncontrolled passive like sport setting.

HighlandPete
Pete I think your phrase is where we will be in the future if the take up is high with current adaptive they offer more advanced system when costs come down with mass production. I have opted for adaptive after 6 years of rock hard e90 m sport on NE Scotland's poor roads. BMW lost losts of customers to Merc and jag for this reason, but I think many with venture back , also I have seen a few die hard Audi fans looking at the X drive this will do the trick along with improved interior over the e90. I will be banging on to BMW guys at Goodwood fos this year for full control option
derekh929 is offline   Scotland
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST