F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Videos of 328 vs 335?
TAG Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #67
300hp
Colonel
 
Drives: X5 & 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 2,640
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
LOL.

My tune is paid for and takes 30 seconds to remove-you need to supercharge your car to play?

Call me when you get yours supercharged though. I have a supercharged BMW that would enjoy the company
Its on
300hp is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #68
BMWFanatic2008
Captain
 
BMWFanatic2008's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335xi
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York

Posts: 639
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
What if the 328 IS the better all around car, anyone dare to say that?

How come all the magazine tests with the F30, the N20 328 is judged the winner, yet most if not all of the head to heads with the F30 335 has picked other cars as being superior?

Those tests are said to be impartial. It implies the F30 328 does a very good job representing itself and comparatively among the class. So where does the 30-35whp seem to get you that enables such elitism and trash talking?

Reminds me of high school...seriously.

I did wresting, track AND marching band. Football players would trash talk the "band geeks". Except for the fact that we had a competition traveling team ranked the best in the northeast and they lost almost every game that same season. So yeah, they would talk trash, then you would bring up their record and point to the bands big trophies in the case. That and they were showering up with a bunch of dudes and we did co-ed dressings in the back of the bus.

How bout that for an analogy lol.
Magazine tests are garbage these days. They fake the results if you pay them enough, compare cars with unequal configurations, etc.

The only real competitor for 335 out there is S4 and it's a very good car IMO. Even an E90 M3 would have a hard time competing with it in certain categories. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference and you can't go wrong with either one.

As far as 328 vs 335 goes, I agree with you that with F30 platform the gap between the two is much smaller. Both are great cars. Now the only problem that I have with F30 is how UGLY non-msport front-end is. If there was no msport line, I would have probably skipped BMW and went straight to Audi.
__________________
F30 335xi | MSport | Estoril Blue | Sport 8AT | DHP | 19" 403M | ZDA | ZTP | Sat radio | 494
F30 335xi | MSport | Estoril Blue | 6MT | DHP | 19" 403M (Gone)
E92 335xi | MSport | Le Mans Blue Metallic (Gone)
BMWFanatic2008 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 05:33 PM   #69
GB72
Private First Class
 
Drives: F30 335i M Sport Melbourne red
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: uk

Posts: 136
iTrader: (0)

Wind um up and watch um go!
GB72 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 05:43 PM   #70
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,529
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
Its on
Let me know when you shell out that $4-6k for a blower for your VQ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
Magazine tests are garbage these days. They fake the results if you pay them enough, compare cars with unequal configurations, etc.

The only real competitor for 335 out there is S4 and it's a very good car IMO. Even an E90 M3 would have a hard time competing with it in certain categories. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference and you can't go wrong with either one.

As far as 328 vs 335 goes, I agree with you that with F30 platform the gap between the two is much smaller. Both are great cars. Now the only problem that I have with F30 is how UGLY non-msport front-end is. If there was no msport line, I would have probably skipped BMW and went straight to Audi.

The magazine conspiracy is a bit contrived. Many who claim that are the people who would watch BMW always win.

The S4 is a good challenger, but I have also seen the ATS 3.6 chosen over the 335 too.


I also agree with you on the M-Sport. When I saw it in EB2 all of my hold offs on the F30 disappeared.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GB72 View Post
Wind um up and watch um go!
You seem bored today. Why not make yourself a pudding?
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #71
M3takesNYC
Banned
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC

Posts: 426
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
Magazine tests are garbage these days. They fake the results if you pay them enough, compare cars with unequal configurations, etc.

The only real competitor for 335 out there is S4 and it's a very good car IMO. Even an E90 M3 would have a hard time competing with it in certain categories. At the end of the day, it's a matter of personal preference and you can't go wrong with either one.

As far as 328 vs 335 goes, I agree with you that with F30 platform the gap between the two is much smaller. Both are great cars. Now the only problem that I have with F30 is how UGLY non-msport front-end is. If there was no msport line, I would have probably skipped BMW and went straight to Audi.
Just curious what test or measure a stock 335 would even come close to an e90 m3? FOB straight line sure but stock absolutely nothing.

But again 4 pages of talk yet not one video! I guess time will tell when a video is posted than people can stop arguing and either see that the 335i puts a couple bus lengths or maybe the 335 only puts a half a car length. Then we will have some real data!
M3takesNYC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 07:52 PM   #72
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,529
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
Just curious what test or measure a stock 335 would even come close to an e90 m3? FOB straight line sure but stock absolutely nothing.

But again 4 pages of talk yet not one video! I guess time will tell when a video is posted than people can stop arguing and either see that the 335i puts a couple bus lengths or maybe the 335 only puts a half a car length. Then we will have some real data!
Based on physics equally driven cars a 335 should put 5 lengths on a 328 or more. That is not bus lengths but nothing to sneeze. Street racing videos are less than scientific.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 08:04 PM   #73
marseille82
Second Lieutenant
 
marseille82's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i / E60 535i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boogie down Bronx

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

335 is overrated and I own one. Believe it or not my E60 feels quicker.
marseille82 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #74
M3takesNYC
Banned
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC

Posts: 426
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post
Based on physics equally driven cars a 335 should put 5 lengths on a 328 or more. That is not bus lengths but nothing to sneeze. Street racing videos are less than scientific.
Rolling races are pretty scientific if your metric desired is simply who wins and by how much. Rolling from 30 mph and mashing the pedal takes most other factors out of it. As long as they are both autos that is pretty solid testing for straight line rolling pulling power. So 5 lengths in what stretch? That is a bit too brought. 5 lengths in 1/4 mile or in a full mile or what are we talking about?

I would love to see a rolling race from 40 to 140 of a 335, 328 and e90 m3 to really see the spread of power among the three cars given the 3 different pricing schemes.
M3takesNYC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #75
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,529
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
Rolling races are pretty scientific if your metric desired is simply who wins and by how much. Rolling from 30 mph and mashing the pedal takes most other factors out of it. As long as they are both autos that is pretty solid testing for straight line rolling pulling power. So 5 lengths in what stretch? That is a bit too brought. 5 lengths in 1/4 mile or in a full mile or what are we talking about?

I would love to see a rolling race from 40 to 140 of a 335, 328 and e90 m3 to really see the spread of power among the three cars given the 3 different pricing schemes.
5 lengths in the 1/4. I dont drive automatics lol.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2013, 11:33 PM   #76
BMWforLife
Second Lieutenant
 
BMWforLife's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i M Sport DCT
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Florida

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

hey i have an idea

they are both great cars. we all agree. done.
__________________
135i M Sport Silver/Coral Red, Premium, Cold Weather, DCT.

Will be adding the PPK/Exhaust someday!
BMWforLife is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #77
M3takesNYC
Banned
 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC

Posts: 426
iTrader: (0)

Its not that both are not great cars but the world is filled with car comparo's and we all read, watch and love them. Who honestly would not love to watch a well made rolling race between the two cars? Why is that a bad thing?
M3takesNYC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 01:25 PM   #78
Elk
Major
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

Posts: 1,275
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC View Post
Who honestly would not love to watch a well made rolling race between the two cars?
Me. I could care less.

It is the car equivalent of watching two 10 year-olds fight. So what?

Next up, Soccer Moms and their Mini-Vans Race!
Elk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 02:22 PM   #79
tdizzle
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2012 335i Sport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Memphis

Posts: 1,692
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elk View Post
Me. I could care less.

It is the car equivalent of watching two 10 year-olds fight. So what?

Next up, Soccer Moms and their Mini-Vans Race!
I lol'd.

Although, a lot of people would watch everything you suggested...
tdizzle is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 02:57 PM   #80
Sharp_Cai
Lieutenant
 
Sharp_Cai's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fremont, CA

Posts: 419
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hp View Post
My G37 is faster than the 328i
Not on the streets. 0-60 f30 328i wins!
__________________
2013 BMW 335i EBII ///M sport MPPK
Sharp_Cai is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #81
Elk
Major
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

Posts: 1,275
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdizzle View Post
Although, a lot of people would watch everything you suggested...
You are right!

Although I didn't think of this.
Elk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #82
utenigma
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx (Frisco)

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I really don't want to get involved in this, but I just found this streetspecs site and thought it was cool

here's the 335 vs the 328

http://www.streetspecs.com/specs/com..._341748_434291
utenigma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 04:28 PM   #83
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2 S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 3,529
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by utenigma View Post
I really don't want to get involved in this, but I just found this streetspecs site and thought it was cool

here's the 335 vs the 328

http://www.streetspecs.com/specs/com..._341748_434291
A lot of those figures seem a teensy bit off.
__________________
'98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C @ 13psi(cracking 500hp this summer) +'13 EBII M Sport 328i 6mtFOR SALE
Jamesons Viggen is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #84
Elk
Major
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: *

Posts: 1,275
iTrader: (0)

This is a nice way to present comparison data.
Elk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 04:40 PM   #85
Sharp_Cai
Lieutenant
 
Sharp_Cai's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fremont, CA

Posts: 419
iTrader: (0)

Don't understand why people like to compare with 328i and 335i. People have different tastes. I llike the deep tone of 335i exhaust sound, and my friend likes the gas mileage on the 328i. We never compare with which car is better and faster cuz we know we didn't buy our car for this reason! There is a reason why BMW experts putting two models for F30 in the market instead of one~~
__________________
2013 BMW 335i EBII ///M sport MPPK
Sharp_Cai is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 05:00 PM   #86
Bradbury
Vroooooom!
 
Bradbury's Avatar
 
Drives: F20 120d
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Norway

Posts: 206
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Edit: Everything in this post is wrong! It looks like the site I mention below has gotten the weight of the European 328i wrong.

Just out of curiosity I compared the the European and the NA 328s and 335s. Apparently the F30 in the US are considerably heavier than the ones we have here in Europe. For the 328i, the difference is 140 kg (300 lbs). I could make some crack about this being the weight difference of the European and the American driver, but the listed weight was without the driver.

Automobile-catalog.com simulates various performance date based on the cars' specs. I don't know how accurate it is, but it seems that the European 328i might be very close to the NA 335i in performance.

The simulated figures for 0-60 mph for these two cars are 5.2 and 5.1 second respectively. For 0-100 mph, the difference is starting to show a bit with 13.8 and 13.2 seconds.

I can't link directly to the comparison, but if anyone wants a look, they can click here to get to the F30 page. Scroll down to the cars you want to look at, and click "Compare: add above car to comparison"

Last edited by Bradbury; 02-15-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Bradbury is offline   Norway
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 05:08 PM   #87
Sharp_Cai
Lieutenant
 
Sharp_Cai's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Fremont, CA

Posts: 419
iTrader: (0)

Still a 4 cylinder.........
__________________
2013 BMW 335i EBII ///M sport MPPK
Sharp_Cai is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2013, 05:13 PM   #88
utenigma
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 F30 335i 8SA M-Adaptive
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx (Frisco)

Posts: 516
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradbury View Post
Apparently the F30 in the US are considerably heavier than the ones we have here in Europe
I would hazard the weight difference isn't real when the cars are similary optioned

For instance, the base 335 in Europe can be had with a cloth interior, cloth is not an option in the US - I would assume standard features on the base car make up the weight difference

Also, in the US, all 335's come with a sunroof as standard and Xenon adaptive headlights, etc where the 328's do not - that affects the weight difference between the models as well

Last edited by utenigma; 02-15-2013 at 05:18 PM.
utenigma is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST