F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Gas Tank Access Door Doesn't Close
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
12
Rep
242
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (0)

Gas Tank Access Door Doesn't Close

Tried to close the gas tank access door after filling the gas tank and it wouldn't latch shut. The temperature was about 30 degree fahrenheit and the latch that catches the access door would not pop out. What happened to quality? Is anyone else having this problem? I never had this kind of a problem with a Lexus. Just a little irritating.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant
10
Rep
561
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 F30 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York

iTrader: (0)

Had a few complaints about this before, usually due to dirtiness/wetness of the latch area. Try cleaning surfaces and drying it, then see what happens.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #3
Frogman
Lieutenant Colonel
Frogman's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
1,799
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Also make sure the cap is closed completely. There's very little clearance there.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #4
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,145
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

there are defective plastic latch thingy's out there, I had one - whole closure was replaced...it acted up more in the cold, so sounds like a similar problem.
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #5
jzcrna
Captain
31
Rep
904
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Mine did this but then resolved itself
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:45 PM   #6
Yay-Z
Shifting to Top Gear
Yay-Z's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
481
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3/F30 328i
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (0)

Were your doors unlocked?
__________________
2011 E90 M3 DCT
2013 F30 328i SAT
2011 E92 335i 6MT (Gone, will be missed)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #7
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
96
Rep
7,321
Posts

 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yay-Z
Were your doors unlocked?
Was gonna say wont open or close if doors are locked.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 06:48 PM   #8
nick1212
Second Lieutenant
Canada
4
Rep
289
Posts

 
Drives: '13 335i Sport 6MT - Ordered
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Make sure doors are unlocked.
__________________
Current - 2013 335i Sport Line Sapphire Black 6MT with Premium Package, Extended BT, BMW Assist & Lane Departure Warning System, M Sport Suspension & VSS

Previous Car - 2006 325i 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
12
Rep
242
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Was gonna say wont open or close if doors are locked.
Did not know this. Passenger door was locked and driver door was unlocked. Will have to check it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 08:39 AM   #10
BMWrules7
Major
20
Rep
1,070
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 750Li, Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Boston Area

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by setha
Just take it in they will repair for free
It's not broken. He had his doors locked.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2013, 03:37 PM   #11
dude987
Second Lieutenant
Germany
12
Rep
242
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 335i xDrive M-Sport DHP
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Stuttgart

iTrader: (0)

Okay. So I filled up the gas tank again today and made sure the doors were unlocked. Wha-la. It worked. The outside temperature was about 27 degrees and the access door slammed shut just like it should.

Tested the door locks and sure enough if the doors are locked the access door is locked also. What I don't understand is why the access door opened when one driver door was unlocked and the passenger door was locked.

So maybe, if one door is unlocked and one door is locked the access door will open but not close shut??? I dunno.

Just glad to have it resolved for now.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 11:55 PM   #12
keremorhan
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St.Petersburg

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
Okay. So I filled up the gas tank again today and made sure the doors were unlocked. Wha-la. It worked. The outside temperature was about 27 degrees and the access door slammed shut just like it should.

Tested the door locks and sure enough if the doors are locked the access door is locked also. What I don't understand is why the access door opened when one driver door was unlocked and the passenger door was locked.

So maybe, if one door is unlocked and one door is locked the access door will open but not close shut??? I dunno.

Just glad to have it resolved for now.
Mine does not close when all doors are unlocked. I had to push and hold it closed when i pushed the lock button on the key. Now it is locked. Did not try yet but i think it would pop out again when i will push the unlock button on the key.

Nothing broken inside. I wonder if it is a temporary problem or i should take my car to dealer???
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:37 AM   #13
bavarianride
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
284
Posts

 
Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: northern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude987 View Post
Okay. So I filled up the gas tank again today and made sure the doors were unlocked. Wha-la. It worked. The outside temperature was about 27 degrees and the access door slammed shut just like it should.

Tested the door locks and sure enough if the doors are locked the access door is locked also. What I don't understand is why the access door opened when one driver door was unlocked and the passenger door was locked.

So maybe, if one door is unlocked and one door is locked the access door will open but not close shut??? I dunno.

Just glad to have it resolved for now.
No need to be confused, as there is an explanation(I think). The gas access door has a spring-loaded toggle mechanism. With one push, the access panel toggles open, even if the doors are locked, but lock pin holds the panel in place(I haven't tried if a 2nd push will toggles the panel closed again). When at least one door is unlocked, the panel will pop open. If the door is locked again before the panel is pushed to close, the lock pin will block the panel to be closed.

Hopes this helps. It should be relatively straightforward to verify the above.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 12:41 AM   #14
bavarianride
Second Lieutenant
2
Rep
284
Posts

 
Drives: bimmer
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: northern california

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by keremorhan View Post
Mine does not close when all doors are unlocked. I had to push and hold it closed when i pushed the lock button on the key. Now it is locked. Did not try yet but i think it would pop out again when i will push the unlock button on the key.

Nothing broken inside. I wonder if it is a temporary problem or i should take my car to dealer???
If the doors are unlocked, the gas access panel should be able to be opened and closed(toggled) with subsequent pushes of the panel. Your description seems to indicate the spring loaded toggle mechanism is malfunctioning(sounds like the lock pin is holding the panel if doors are locked, and the spring is always at "open" position). Maybe it's time to bring in to dealership to check.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 01:03 AM   #15
keremorhan
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St.Petersburg

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30fanboy View Post
If the doors are unlocked, the gas access panel should be able to be opened and closed(toggled) with subsequent pushes of the panel. Your description seems to indicate the spring loaded toggle mechanism is malfunctioning(sounds like the lock pin is holding the panel if doors are locked, and the spring is always at "open" position). Maybe it's time to bring in to dealership to check.
I will try again and see what happens. Will inform later...
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:26 AM   #16
Waterbelly
Private
0
Rep
72
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 f30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: MA

iTrader: (0)

Just took mine in to have the PPK installed on Saturday. Had the same issue with the gas tank door. SA said 5 other people had come in with the same problem - has nothing to do with door looks. They have a bunch of defective latches. Have to order in parts, etc.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 07:53 AM   #17
N-Y
Lieutenant
9
Rep
564
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Ottawa

iTrader: (0)

that door always opens when i go through the drive through car wash, when I get to the last part, when the car is getting air dried
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 09:14 AM   #18
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,145
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterbelly View Post
Just took mine in to have the PPK installed on Saturday. Had the same issue with the gas tank door. SA said 5 other people had come in with the same problem - has nothing to do with door looks. They have a bunch of defective latches. Have to order in parts, etc.
Yup, mine was replaced in the winter when it stayed open for like a week.
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #19
PierreTT
New Member
Canada
1
Rep
7
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335 iX
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Quebec, Canada

iTrader: (0)

Same here, it is a cold related issue
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 10:48 PM   #20
tkwliu
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

 
Drives: 328iA Sport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

I experienced a similar issues, the latch just wouldn't shut properly. It took me a little while to figure out what happened but it was the tether that was attached to the fuel cap inside that was the problem. When refueling i must have twisted the tether and bundled together inside that when i close the outer fuel cover, the tether would obstruct part of the room needed for the hinges of the cover to close properly. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 06:41 AM   #21
keremorhan
Enlisted Member
Russian Federation
0
Rep
37
Posts

 
Drives: F30
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: St.Petersburg

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkwliu View Post
I experienced a similar issues, the latch just wouldn't shut properly. It took me a little while to figure out what happened but it was the tether that was attached to the fuel cap inside that was the problem. When refueling i must have twisted the tether and bundled together inside that when i close the outer fuel cover, the tether would obstruct part of the room needed for the hinges of the cover to close properly. Hope this helps
yes. this is the reason. funny....
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:33 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST