F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Expert advice needed to build an F30!
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #1
mob17
Brigadier General
mob17's Avatar
United Kingdom
79
Rep
3,816
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (4)

Expert advice needed to build an F30!

Someone I know wants to buy a new F30. Thinking to get the 320D "Luxury", whatever that means!

I have a few questions on the optional equipment list on build your BMW:

1) Run flat tyres.

It has the option to untick this, and automatically remove the existing 18s alloys selected, and replace with some 19s. So would this then include a spare tyre with a jack etc, like most other manufacturers?

2) Automatic Vs Sport Automatic

Both have 8 speed, but what gearbox is most suited for casual driving? My assumption says the normal auto one. Any thoughts on the differences between these?

3) Suspension

The suspension required needs to have the best ride quality. A luxury feel, and not the crashy shite from previous models. Would the standard suspension in the "Luxury" model be ok, as there are options for Adaptive M Sport

4) Steering. Think there are 3 options?

This is not for a young driver, so priority is comfort and ease of use!!

Many thanks
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #2
Redbaron1973
Private
Redbaron1973's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
80
Posts

 
Drives: F01 730D SE
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

1. No and the 19" are run flat too.
2. Either but Sport Auto is nicer as it has paddles on the wheel
3. Adaptive M sport all the way
4. Standard - unless you want too hoon
__________________
________________________________________________
730D SE Champagne Silver with Oyster/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 06:13 PM   #3
RobUK
Major
RobUK's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
1,100
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Lux' 8SAT, Red
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sussex, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
^ wot he said

Note 'standard' suspension is the same whether you get the ED, SE, Modern or Luxury, i.e. the 'Luxury' line refers to trim level rather than ride comfort. That said, yep the adaptive setup is supposed to handle our crumbling, under-funded, neglected, pot-holed, traffic-clogged roads better
__________________

2012 F30 328i Lux', 8SAT, Melbourne Red
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 06:17 PM   #4
kitster
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
17
Rep
567
Posts

 
Drives: F31 320d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
4) Steering. Think there are 3 options?

This is not for a young driver, so priority is comfort and ease of use!!

Many thanks
If it's comfort your after I'd at least get the Servotronic Steering makes parking a breeze and starts to stiffen up as you go faster but not as stiff as if you go into Sport mode, nicely weighted.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #5
mob17
Brigadier General
mob17's Avatar
United Kingdom
79
Rep
3,816
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (4)

Thanks guys.

So i guess we'll go with adaptive m sport and servitronic steering. Looks like this will have the best ride quality, offer adjustments to the damping and also make parking easier

Has anyone used the active cruise control with stop and go? What's it like in the real world? Any good in London traffic?

Any other options you reckon is a must on the F30?
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 07:05 PM   #6
kitster
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
17
Rep
567
Posts

 
Drives: F31 320d M Sport
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: London, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Thanks guys.

So i guess we'll go with adaptive m sport and servitronic steering. Looks like this will have the best ride quality, offer adjustments to the damping and also make parking easier

Has anyone used the active cruise control with stop and go? What's it like in the real world? Any good in London traffic?

Any other options you reckon is a must on the F30?
I've got all those options you have mentioned. I've also got the HK audio upgrade, which simply blows the standard 6 speakers away. But my fav package is the Visibility Pack, call me vain but the car looks smoking hot with the LED rings and the lovely xenon white beam.

Checkout my thread with a demo of the high beam assist (part of the vis pack):
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799927
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
mob17
Brigadier General
mob17's Avatar
United Kingdom
79
Rep
3,816
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitster View Post
I've got all those options you have mentioned. I've also got the HK audio upgrade, which simply blows the standard 6 speakers away. But my fav package is the Visibility Pack, call me vain but the car looks smoking hot with the LED rings and the lovely xenon white beam.

Checkout my thread with a demo of the high beam assist (part of the vis pack):
http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=799927
Yep we have also selected the HK system and the visibilty pack. Good to know someone stands by them!

Will check your thread out now
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #8
mob17
Brigadier General
mob17's Avatar
United Kingdom
79
Rep
3,816
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (4)

OMG the HBA looks amazing!!
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
Redbaron1973
Private
Redbaron1973's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
80
Posts

 
Drives: F01 730D SE
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I have Active cruise and find that whilst it is "cautious" in terms of braking... it does work very well. The acid test is would I order it again? Answer Yes.
__________________
________________________________________________
730D SE Champagne Silver with Oyster/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:54 AM   #10
RobUK
Major
RobUK's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
1,100
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i Lux' 8SAT, Red
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sussex, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
+++++1 for the Visibility Pack. It's amazing and it's on my 'must have' list now for my next car.

I'd also spec the HUD, particularly if you're going for the Pro Nav and Speed Limit Display. It just seems so natural now to have all the info you need there in the periphery of your vision. Drove a courtesy car the other day that didn't have it and it felt the whole time like something was missing!
__________________

2012 F30 328i Lux', 8SAT, Melbourne Red
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #11
HighlandPete
Brigadier General
59
Rep
4,706
Posts

 
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Scotland, Highland Region

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Someone I know wants to buy a new F30. Thinking to get the 320D "Luxury", whatever that means!

.....

This is not for a young driver, so priority is comfort and ease of use!!

Many thanks
Besides the options already mentioned, for "ease of use", the camera options are something else. Reversing camera is a very good bit of kit. For real 'luxury' worth considering the surround cameras and then you have a second pair of eyes for parking and positioning, pulling out of blind areas, etc.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
NISFAN
Brigadier General
NISFAN's Avatar
England
70
Rep
4,291
Posts

 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Someone I know wants to buy a new F30. Thinking to get the 320D "Luxury", whatever that means!

I have a few questions on the optional equipment list on build your BMW:

1) Run flat tyres.

It has the option to untick this, and automatically remove the existing 18s alloys selected, and replace with some 19s. So would this then include a spare tyre with a jack etc, like most other manufacturers?

2) Automatic Vs Sport Automatic

Both have 8 speed, but what gearbox is most suited for casual driving? My assumption says the normal auto one. Any thoughts on the differences between these?

3) Suspension

The suspension required needs to have the best ride quality. A luxury feel, and not the crashy shite from previous models. Would the standard suspension in the "Luxury" model be ok, as there are options for Adaptive M Sport

4) Steering. Think there are 3 options?

This is not for a young driver, so priority is comfort and ease of use!!

Many thanks
As has been said the only BMW F30 with non run flats is the ED version. It has Michelin 'energy' tyres on it. There is a tick box, but un-checkable in the UK.

Sport auto is worth having....the gearbox does reward manual control. You can still row the gearbox with the lever, but the steering mounted paddles are 100 times better.

Without doubt the standard suspension will give you the best quality ride. Only go M Sport adaptive if you want a jarring ride occasionally, but as you have said this is NOT your thing, avoid. I have deleted adaptive on my new build. I didn't like it.

Standard steering is fine, light and easy. Servotronic adds a heavy 'sport mode' and more feel in comfort mode. Not tried VSS but believe it takes the Servotronic to the next level even in general street driving.

Adaptive cruise is great, but I would only spec it if you drive alot. Makes average limits through road works and motorway driving a breeze.

I would consider the folding rear seats, for practicality reasons.

Good luck with the order
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 10:42 AM   #13
derekh929
Captain
Scotland
14
Rep
795
Posts

 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

I had the folding seats on my e90 and would have been a few times without them, I would have thought I would say this in my life time but the sport auto box is very good drove a few time know, Visability as well
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
mob17
Brigadier General
mob17's Avatar
United Kingdom
79
Rep
3,816
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbaron1973 View Post
I have Active cruise and find that whilst it is "cautious" in terms of braking... it does work very well. The acid test is would I order it again? Answer Yes.
Please could you expand on this? Does it not brake natural? Is it good to use in traffic, or do you end up looking like you can't drive?
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:00 PM   #15
mob17
Brigadier General
mob17's Avatar
United Kingdom
79
Rep
3,816
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Without doubt the standard suspension will give you the best quality ride. Only go M Sport adaptive if you want a jarring ride occasionally, but as you have said this is NOT your thing, avoid. I have deleted adaptive on my new build. I didn't like it.

Standard steering is fine, light and easy. Servotronic adds a heavy 'sport mode' and more feel in comfort mode. Not tried VSS but believe it takes the Servotronic to the next level even in general street driving.

Adaptive cruise is great, but I would only spec it if you drive alot. Makes average limits through road works and motorway driving a breeze.

I would consider the folding rear seats, for practicality reasons.

Good luck with the order
Thanks

Yep, ride quality definitely the number one priority, especially over rough surfaces. Got some different opinions on here regarding this

Will probably go for standard steering then.

This is going to sound bad but the person is also considering an F10. Any thoughts and is all the advice on the thread also applicable to the F10?

Cheers
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:28 PM   #16
NISFAN
Brigadier General
NISFAN's Avatar
England
70
Rep
4,291
Posts

 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

iTrader: (0)

To be honest, if going for a limited number of options, an F10 is a great choice.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
zorroone
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
12
Rep
525
Posts

 
Drives: F31 MSport 330dxdrive
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Belfast

iTrader: (0)

I wish a heated windscreen was an option. It's just one of those things that once you have had it you realise how useful it is and it is certainly a safety aid for driving particularly in the winter.

Can't understand why BMW haven't got it as an option.

How is the Ventilation / demisting system on the F30/31?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #18
NISFAN
Brigadier General
NISFAN's Avatar
England
70
Rep
4,291
Posts

 
Drives: The best kind of F30 :)
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Bedford UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorroone View Post
I wish a heated windscreen was an option. It's just one of those things that once you have had it you realise how useful it is and it is certainly a safety aid for driving particularly in the winter.

Can't understand why BMW haven't got it as an option.

How is the Ventilation / demisting system on the F30/31?
Erm, maybe they have a problem paying another OEM royalties to use it?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
Redbaron1973
Private
Redbaron1973's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
80
Posts

 
Drives: F01 730D SE
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
Please could you expand on this? Does it not brake natural? Is it good to use in traffic, or do you end up looking like you can't drive?
What you have to remember is that active cruise is a computer. Thus it does exactly what it is programmed to do. It cant see indicators... only "object" or "no object" so you cant just switch off... i.e. it will accelerate at a car indicating to move in front of you until it actually does.. ditto it will brake for a car indicating to move... until it does...

If you think it will drive the car for you then you will hate it.... if you accept that what it does is make traffic less tiresome 95% of the time and learn to adapt your style to it... (i.e. apply the throttle to override it on occasions) then it is wonderful.

I would spec it again and again.. but i can see why some others would not like it... alot of this is down to trust.. having had other cars with it I am comfortable using it.
__________________
________________________________________________
730D SE Champagne Silver with Oyster/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #20
PopeHamish
Private
0
Rep
59
Posts

 
Drives: F30 320d ED
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Manchester

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Erm, maybe they have a problem paying another OEM royalties to use it?
This has always surprised me and seems to be a really restrictive patent, surely something like this is limiting to other manufacturers from offering what should be a basic requirement for all cars.

I'd also be interested to see the level of payments required to implement to technology? I'd certainly opt for it on a spec list so it can't be cost-prohibitive?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #21
mob17
Brigadier General
mob17's Avatar
United Kingdom
79
Rep
3,816
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (4)

Has anyone used the tyre pressure menu on their F10/30. Think it gives exact pressure values. Sound investment?

Also, I am trying to arrange a test drive of an F10 SE with VDC.
__________________
2008 E92 335D SE - Ohlins
2010 E90 320D SE
1994 E36 318I SE
1996 E36 316I SE
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST