F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Software Update
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-23-2013, 05:04 AM   #1
crazybones
Second Lieutenant
crazybones's Avatar
4
Rep
228
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Software Update

According to BMW updates, there is a connected drive update now available for cars built Nov 12 - Feb 13. It can be found here after entering your vin:

http://www.bmw.com/update

However, the BMW UK update site shows no updates available!

File name: UPD05004.bin. List of improvements:

Software update (MN-1.23.4,
TN-1.23.2)
Content
> Telephone: Improved Bluetooth connection
stability. Improved transfer of contact data
of the rear-seat telephone. Improved call
lists in China.
> Multimedia: Improved performance with
video display lists with iPOD devices.
Improved music playback and stability with
iPOD devices and large USB devices.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #2
RichardM
Lieutenant Colonel
England
21
Rep
1,584
Posts

 
Drives: F31 335D M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Herts UK

iTrader: (1)

I installed it a while ago, didn't notice any difference!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Nexstar2011
Private
0
Rep
62
Posts

 
Drives: F31 330d Mineral Grey
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: London-ish

iTrader: (0)

I see the same thing. .co.uk says NO, .com says YES when I enter my VIN. I've also tried and failed (as has the dealer) to upgrade via USB.

When was your car built?? Mine was late Sept, so if the release notes are accurate then the image should not be applicable. Have an ongoing query with the dealer why:

a - TeleServices Software update no longer shows up on the car (greyed out)
b - Software Update on .com says Yes, UK says No.
c - If not applicable, why not?- I want iPhone 5 working better (have experienced crashes and locking up when USB connected).

Seen on other forums that the reason pre-Nov 2012 build isn't applicable for the update is because it fixes bugs introduced in Nov-2012 and onward cars. However, the release notes aren't detailed enough to confirm that...

What's more, when looking at mobile device compatibility check tool on .co.uk, when my VIN is entered the next drop-down box allows you to select which software version - and lo and behold the latest version is selectable (1.23.2)!!

I'm all for self service tools/updates, but would be nice if they actually implemented it right :-/
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 08:04 AM   #4
crazybones
Second Lieutenant
crazybones's Avatar
4
Rep
228
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Initially, my car would not accept the update. I'd start the engine and then Idrive and would insert the USB stick. However, upon selecting update via USB, it would say that the "operation is not available".

It then occurred to me that maybe it was the USB stick at fault. I loaded the bin file onto a USB3 stick which was freshly formatted and repeated the procedure. The car immediately found the update and installed it.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 08:13 AM   #5
crazybones
Second Lieutenant
crazybones's Avatar
4
Rep
228
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I've gone from 1.022.002 to 1.023.002.

My car was built 7/11/12 and has the new Nav system.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 10:47 AM   #6
derekh929
Captain
Scotland
14
Rep
795
Posts

 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

So can you only update this if you have the full nav and Internet?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
crazybones
Second Lieutenant
crazybones's Avatar
4
Rep
228
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekh929 View Post
So can you only update this if you have the full nav and Internet?
You visit www.bmw.com/update on your pc and download the update file (if applicable) to a USB stick. You then use the update option under settings in Idrive to install the file from the USB stick which you insert in the usb socket in the centre console.

I believe this can be done whether or not you have the nav option.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
derekh929
Captain
Scotland
14
Rep
795
Posts

 
Drives: F31 330d M Sport on Order
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Scotland

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones View Post
You visit www.bmw.com/update on your pc and download the update file (if applicable) to a USB stick. You then use the update option under settings in Idrive to install the file from the USB stick which you insert in the usb socket in the centre console.

I believe this can be done whether or not you have the nav option.
Thanks that's very helpfull
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
Redbaron1973
Private
Redbaron1973's Avatar
United Kingdom
0
Rep
80
Posts

 
Drives: F01 730D SE
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Just updated mine - very pleased with it... now the number in software version has changed... Not sure if I can cope with the excitement!

__________________
________________________________________________
730D SE Champagne Silver with Oyster/Black
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2013, 02:51 PM   #10
s'M'ooth
New Member
s'M'ooth's Avatar
0
Rep
25
Posts

 
Drives: F30 320d ED (For now)
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

I updated mine, so easy to do, but felt somewhat felt deflated at the end when I noticed it had done nothing!! At least nothing I could see instantly. Oh well, it must be better as the numbers have gone up
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
5,339
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones View Post
According to BMW updates, there is a connected drive update now available for cars built Nov 12 - Feb 13. It can be found here after entering your vin:

http://www.bmw.com/update

However, the BMW UK update site shows no updates available!

File name: UPD05004.bin. List of improvements:

Software update (MN-1.23.4,
TN-1.23.2)
Content
> Telephone: Improved Bluetooth connection
stability. Improved transfer of contact data
of the rear-seat telephone. Improved call
lists in China.
> Multimedia: Improved performance with
video display lists with iPOD devices.
Improved music playback and stability with
iPOD devices and large USB devices.
I downloaded it and the car said it was "Incompatable!!!!" even though it was for my car, should I have opened it before connecting the USB?>
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #12
crazybones
Second Lieutenant
crazybones's Avatar
4
Rep
228
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport Auto
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

For me, it was more that a case of the numbers going up as multipoint now works. This is a major step forward as previously, even if both phones were connected, I had to switch phones before I could accept an incoming call on the phone that was not connected. Now it works automatically which is great when you have 2 mobiles! A great feature and well done BMW for being one of the only manufacturers I believe to have this functionality.

johnbmw6 - I had issues installing the update at first. However, Idrive told me that the operation was not available. This was resolved by using a different USB stick. The file should be downloaded straight to the USB drive - it does not need to be extracted and should not be in a folder i.e. it should be the only file on the USB drive.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 05:42 AM   #13
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
5,339
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazybones View Post
For me, it was more that a case of the numbers going up as multipoint now works. This is a major step forward as previously, even if both phones were connected, I had to switch phones before I could accept an incoming call on the phone that was not connected. Now it works automatically which is great when you have 2 mobiles! A great feature and well done BMW for being one of the only manufacturers I believe to have this functionality.

johnbmw6 - I had issues installing the update at first. However, Idrive told me that the operation was not available. This was resolved by using a different USB stick. The file should be downloaded straight to the USB drive - it does not need to be extracted and should not be in a folder i.e. it should be the only file on the USB drive.
Thanks for the Heads up.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 12:55 PM   #14
sunscreemer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
7
Rep
593
Posts

 
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (0)

Hmmm, if i go to the BMW updates link above and enter my VIN no. it suggests to download an update whereas if i go to the owners section in the BMW UK website > mobile devices > software update and enter my VIN no. there it says no update available I have the latest software???
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 01:26 PM   #15
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
5,339
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Mine did not work again, downloaded to USB turned ignition on plugged in and it said "No software detected"!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
Buzzman
Private First Class
Buzzman's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
173
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 F25 35i MSport
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Gatineau (Québec) Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Mine did not work again, downloaded to USB turned ignition on plugged in and it said "No software detected"!!!!!!!!!!
I had the same issue/message when downloading on a MAC. Using a PC solved it.
__________________
2014 F25 Alpine White 35i MSport
2012 F30 Melbourne Red 335i Sport Line - Retired
2007 E92 Space Grey - Retired
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 05:44 PM   #17
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
5,339
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzman View Post
I had the same issue/message when downloading on a MAC. Using a PC solved it.
Ahh I downloaded through a MAC also, I will run it again through windows thanks J.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 04:49 AM   #18
sunscreemer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
7
Rep
593
Posts

 
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (0)

Is that the actual download on a mac or because the USB stick was mac formatted and not FAT32?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 04:55 AM   #19
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
5,339
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
Is that the actual download on a mac or because the USB stick was mac formatted and not FAT32?
Not sure going to try and load it today from usb.
EDIT: just tried to upload and it said "no software on USB to upload"
So fuck it, it stays as is.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir

Last edited by JOHNBMWM5; 03-06-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:11 AM   #20
sunscreemer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
7
Rep
593
Posts

 
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
Not sure going to try and load it today from usb.
EDIT: just tried to upload and it said "no software on USB to upload"
So fuck it, it stays as is.
I may try mine later, but as per my post above i'm a bit confused by one site saying there is an update and the other that there isn't! I have a mac but my USB drive is FAT32.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:15 AM   #21
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
JOHNBMWM5's Avatar
United Kingdom
85
Rep
5,339
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M6 GC CP
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunscreemer View Post
I may try mine later, but as per my post above i'm a bit confused by one site saying there is an update and the other that there isn't! I have a mac but my USB drive is FAT32.
How can I tell what my USB drive is?. Fat32 or not?. Thanks J
I re-formated it on windows 7 if that helps.
__________________
Live for now, life is too short.
2015 M6 GC with CP Alpine & Sakhir
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 05:20 AM   #22
sunscreemer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
7
Rep
593
Posts

 
Drives: 320i xDrive M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: East Midlands, UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnbmw6 View Post
How can I tell what my USB drive is?. Fat32 or not?. Thanks J
I re-formated it on windows 7 if that helps.
When you go to your disk utility you should be able to choose how you format the disk. That's what happens in the mac and I think for PC too. Rather than right click on the drive then "format" if you go into your disk utility to do it you should get the option (i think).
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:13 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST