F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N20 and N26 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N20 catch can alternative, breather filter
PYSPEED

02-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
mdchaser

Drives: 2012 328i

N20 catch can alternative, breather filter

Hi, I want to put a breather filter on in place of a catch can on my n20 engine. Has anyone done this before? I have no idea which line to hook the filter up to and which one to cap, can anyone point me in the right direction? I've done this on other cars and it seems to help, $200 for a catch can is simply out of the question.

Thanks!
      03-01-2014, 11:26 AM   #2
rustyminded
Captain

Drives: bmw 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchaser View Post
Hi, I want to put a breather filter on in place of a catch can on my n20 engine. Has anyone done this before? I have no idea which line to hook the filter up to and which one to cap, can anyone point me in the right direction? I've done this on other cars and it seems to help, $200 for a catch can is simply out of the question.

Thanks!
Can you post pictures, so I can understand more
      03-01-2014, 11:28 AM   #3
rustyminded
Captain

Drives: bmw 328i

Well I haven't used breather filter I don't know what that is, I have the occ from bms but if you mean which hose for in and which is for out of intake then you can check the instructions of the bms on their site, it might help
      03-02-2014, 02:20 PM   #4
TurboM
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:

Thanks!
It will make a mess without the can. Not sure I'd recommend it for a normal street car.
TurboM is offline   United_States
      03-02-2014, 10:57 PM   #5
mdchaser

Drives: 2012 328i

Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the BMS instructions, never thought of that! I've had one on my vette since day one and no mess, in theory there should be so little vapor at any one time it just vents into the atmosphere and disappears...
      03-03-2014, 09:53 AM   #6
TurboM
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 328i M Sport

Quote:
Thanks guys, I'll take a look at the BMS instructions, never thought of that! I've had one on my vette since day one and no mess, in theory there should be so little vapor at any one time it just vents into the atmosphere and disappears...
It depends on where in the crankcase you are venting from and the amount of baffling between the oil galleries and the breather itself. I'm not too sure how the BMW unit hooks up though as I have never looked into it.
TurboM is offline   United_States