F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 and B58 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dealer forgot to flash PPK on F32

08-28-2015, 03:19 PM   #1
greekcs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i xDrive

Dealer forgot to flash PPK on F32

I brought my car to the dealer on Wednesday to have the navigation computer replaced. They ended up replacing it and re-flashing every ECU on the car, overwriting the PPK software with a stock version.
Before leaving the dealership today I immediately pulled up the digital sport gauge display and confirmed the readings only maxed out at 320.
One of the tech's I spoke to tried convincing me this was normal for PPK, to which I replied "If my car was advertised as having 335hp, why would the gauges only display 320 as a max reading?". He then backtracked and tried to sell me on some other reasoning behind it but I wasn't having it.
Eventually I spoke to a head tech who works with Dinan. His explanation was that there was no way of him knowing my car had PPK and that their server spits out the correct software based on the VIN. The only solution he could offer me on a late Friday afternoon was to wait a week for them to "order" the software.
I was livid but agreed upon the terms because I had to get back to work and couldn't waste anymore time.

I know people make mistakes and most likely it was a clerical error that led to this but at least offer me something for my trouble; Telling me that it's going to take a week to get this straightened out is complete BS. I know remember why I stopped bringing my cars to this specific dealership.

2015 Alpine White on Red 435i XDrive - AT - MSport - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assistance - Harmon Kardon - Lighting - Enhanced Bluetooth

Last edited by greekcs; 08-28-2015 at 08:25 PM.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 10:43 PM   #2
Vegetable
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by greekcs View Post
I brought my car to the dealer on Wednesday to have the navigation computer replaced. They ended up replacing it and re-flashing every ECU on the car, overwriting the PPK software with a stock version.
Before leaving the dealership today I immediately pulled up the digital sport gauge display and confirmed the readings only maxed out at 320.
One of the tech's I spoke to tried convincing me this was normal for PPK, to which I replied "If my car was advertised as having 335hp, why would the gauges only display 320 as a max reading?". He then backtracked and tried to sell me on some other reasoning behind it but I wasn't having it.
Eventually I spoke to a head tech who works with Dinan. His explanation was that there was no way of him knowing my car had PPK and that their server spits out the correct software based on the VIN. The only solution he could offer me on a late Friday afternoon was to wait a week for them to "order" the software.
I was livid but agreed upon the terms because I had to get back to work and couldn't waste anymore time.

I know people make mistakes and most likely it was a clerical error that led to this but at least offer me something for my trouble; Telling me that it's going to take a week to get this straightened out is complete BS. I know remember why I stopped bringing my cars to this specific dealership.
Could you only tell your MPPK was gone by the gauges? It is my understanding that the dealership can see if the tune is installed by doing something or other and finding the "word" NPOW under Kwords in paperwork. This should also work in subsequent "checking" of the tune.
      08-29-2015, 07:47 PM   #3
greekcs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I also noticed the throttle response wasn't as snappy and the exhaust pop\burble in sport was now missing.

2015 Alpine White on Red 435i XDrive - AT - MSport - Tech - Cold Weather - Driver Assistance - Harmon Kardon - Lighting - Enhanced Bluetooth
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 11:29 AM   #4
roundel335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio

Garage List
Doesn't make sense that they re-flashed EVERY module in your car just to replace the NAV system. Supposedly, the MPPK presence is recorded in BMW's computer system and any re-flashes will not overwrite the MPPK. So unless someone really screwed up, you shouldn't have lost the software upgrade. I'd request that they re-flash the MPPK software - you should have the red envelope with the security code for the download/flash, which is all they need to re-do the install; if you don't have that, you'll have to recover it through whoever did the original MPPK install.

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
      Yesterday, 07:25 PM   #5
greekcs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

the dealer kept the envelope with the red paper at time of installation. I'm sure they'll get it straightened out this week.

Appreciate 0