F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Shocked With M Performance Exhaust

04-28-2014, 02:11 AM   #1
haitham786
Private

Drives: 435i M Performance

Shocked With M Performance Exhaust

I have received my 435i and quite happy with the car. In order to give the car more athletic feeling, I ordered M Performance exhaust system and immediately installed it when arrived to dealer's service centre. After installation, I started the car and was really shocked to find no significant difference in the tone! May any one here in the forum the reason behind this result? Are there any modifications to be done for the muffler in order to give more vital tone?
haitham786 is offline   Oman
      04-28-2014, 02:27 AM   #2
M-terkait
Lieutenant

Drives: F30 335i

Send a message via Skype™ to M-terkait
drive it 1000km before you say anything more but i won't be shocked if you aren't satisfied.
downpipe is a better option than a muffler mod.
pure turbo stage 1 , IPE catback.
M-terkait is offline   Kuwait
      04-28-2014, 02:43 AM   #3
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by haitham786 View Post
I have received my 435i and quite happy with the car. In order to give the car more athletic feeling, I ordered M Performance exhaust system and immediately installed it when arrived to dealer's service centre. After installation, I started the car and was really shocked to find no significant difference in the tone! May any one here in the forum the reason behind this result? Are there any modifications to be done for the muffler in order to give more vital tone?
Others have also said this. Will compare the stock 435M-Sport MPPK muffler to the PE on my 135is when the car is delivered on June 5th.

Word is the muffler has been redesigned. The 135is was loud the day it was picked up because it has no packing & different internal tube design than the stock or 335is mufflers.

The fact that it improves a bit with age suggests it has some level packing inside like the 335is & 335i mufflers.

My current 335is is softer in tone than the 135is stock PE but still very nice at WOT.

If the stock 435M-Sport is anything like the stock 335is I will leave it in & not bother about a MPE if its for just a small increase in sound.

2014 435M-Sport MPPK - 2013 135is Cab 6MT - 2009 V-Star - 2009 Ford Expedition EL 4X4 - 2003 Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ranger 4X4 - FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
      04-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #4
shivaswrath
Brigadier General

Drives: 2012 335i

it takes 600-1000 miles to get a nice break in
there's some weird insulation that burns in, and that changes the depth of the noise.

After having it on for 30k miles, it's nicely broken in and honestly when you hear it..you know it's different from stock and there's something refined, german, and athletic going on with 'that car'. I get looks all the time, not like "oh ricer", but like "oh shit, i want to pull my pants down and stick my junk in his exhaust pipe"....

Give it time my friend...
+1
      04-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #5
Damn Dirty Ape
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 328i Xdrive M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
there's some weird insulation that burns in, and that changes the depth of the noise.

After having it on for 30k miles, it's nicely broken in and honestly when you hear it..you know it's different from stock and there's something refined, german, and athletic going on with 'that car'. I get looks all the time, not like "oh ricer", but like "oh shit, i want to pull my pants down and stick my junk in his exhaust pipe"....

I didn't need that mental image..really lol
      04-28-2014, 01:11 PM   #6
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath

04-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #7
minn19
Private First Class

Drives: 2014 JB 335 xDrive & X1 xDrive

Quote:

Sweet! I like the enthusiasm as I am getting mine installed in a few weeks. I enjoyed the MPE on my 328 and am really excited to hear what it will sound like coupled with the MPPK on my 335!

Last edited by minn19; 04-28-2014 at 02:21 PM.
minn19 is offline   United_States
      04-28-2014, 02:18 PM   #8
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian

Drives: F30 335i MSport - soon!

Are all of the M Performance exhaust variants (dealer installed, DIY, Port installed, 3 series versus 4 series, etc) all just a slip on and clamp assembly or are any of them flanged? My brother has the 135is and i LOVE everything about that exhaust. Setting up ordering my 335i over the next month or so and trying to determine which accessories when!
sdhotwn is offline   United_States
      04-28-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
M-terkait
Lieutenant

Drives: F30 335i

Send a message via Skype™ to M-terkait
i'm waiting for them to release the CF Exhaust tips then i'll get one (maybe*)
pure turbo stage 1 , IPE catback.
M-terkait is offline   Kuwait
      04-28-2014, 02:23 PM   #10
minn19
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-terkait View Post
i'm waiting for them to release the CF Exhaust tips then i'll get one (maybe*)
Supposedly these are coming out May 9th. My dealer is trying to get them for me as I have a May 19th install appointment. Will see if it happens or not.
      04-28-2014, 03:05 PM   #11
Gio72
First Lieutenant

Drives: F32 435i Msport MPPK + MPE

Quote:
Check out your product code: if it ends with "339" is the UE version, the same installed in my 435i and I confirm your disappointment!!! I wrote to BMW too and I'm waiting for their reply!
The MPE US version - that many american bimmers installed here - has a code that ends with "340" and is really much louder and very nice!
BMW wrote me that they're studying omologation of the US version in Europe...
Gio72 is offline   Italy
      04-28-2014, 03:07 PM   #12
shivaswrath
Brigadier General

Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Supposedly these are coming out May 9th. My dealer is trying to get them for me as I have a May 19th install appointment. Will see if it happens or not.
These install on existing MPE tips???
      04-28-2014, 03:41 PM   #13
minn19
Private First Class

Quote:
These install on existing MPE tips???
According to my dealer parts guy, it is a new OEM option instead of the standard chrome/polished tips? I hope so as I am not a real big fan of the standard ones.
      05-01-2014, 01:39 AM   #14
haitham786
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio72 View Post
Check out your product code: if it ends with "339" is the UE version, the same installed in my 435i and I confirm your disappointment!!! I wrote to BMW too and I'm waiting for their reply!
The MPE US version - that many american bimmers installed here - has a code that ends with "340" and is really much louder and very nice!
BMW wrote me that they're studying omologation of the US version in Europe...
What you are saying is reasonable and really makes sense. Can you please provide the email address to which you have sent your mail so that I can also file the same complaint to BMW?
      05-01-2014, 03:35 AM   #15
Gio72
First Lieutenant

Quote:
What you are saying is reasonable and really makes sense. Can you please provide the email address to which you have sent your mail so that I can also file the same complaint to BMW?
It's the Italian Customer Service: italyinfo@bmw.it, but of course you have to write to the one of your Country.
However, I sent my first email (in english) to this address: Customer.Service@bmw.com.
Try with this and let's hope somebody will understand our complaints!
Have a nice day
Gio72 is offline   Italy
      05-01-2014, 08:12 AM   #16
haitham786
Private

Thank you for your response. I visited BMW dealer today in the morning and they promised to contact BMW Middle East located in Abu Dhabi to file the complaint. Once again thanks for your advice.
      05-02-2014, 10:22 PM   #17
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!

Drives: F30 335i Sportline AW

Don't expect the MPE to be some crazy cherry bomb race exhaust. The MPE puts out decent numbers for a beautifully designed exhaust, but there are other performance exhausts out there if you want it louder.

I wanted my car to be slightly louder and only have a growl when I want it in Sport +. I want style and performance over loudness levels. Once broken in it sounds pretty aggressive especially with some tune done to the motor as well. I am currently about 3500 miles broken in and it sounds great. Bimmer lovers know what it is and that's exactly how I want it to be. Plus being a BMW part it doesn't void any warranties if you happen to encounter any problems down the line...

I've had too many cars and trucks with various cat-back or axle-back exhausts from AEM, Thrush, Flowmaster, and full dual 26" custom chambered exhaust packs on my 07 5.7L V8 Tundra. That woke up the neighbors every morning LOL.

Either way digging the MPE it's subtle just like everything else on my F30.
alexchen86 is offline   United_States
      05-03-2014, 01:36 AM   #18
Gio72
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
Don't expect the MPE to be some crazy cherry bomb race exhaust. The MPE puts out decent numbers for a beautifully designed exhaust, but there are other performance exhausts out there if you want it louder.

I wanted my car to be slightly louder and only have a growl when I want it in Sport +. I want style and performance over loudness levels. Once broken in it sounds pretty aggressive especially with some tune done to the motor as well. I am currently about 3500 miles broken in and it sounds great. Bimmer lovers know what it is and that's exactly how I want it to be. Plus being a BMW part it doesn't void any warranties if you happen to encounter any problems down the line...

I've had too many cars and trucks with various cat-back or axle-back exhausts from AEM, Thrush, Flowmaster, and full dual 26" custom chambered exhaust packs on my 07 5.7L V8 Tundra. That woke up the neighbors every morning LOL.

Either way digging the MPE it's subtle just like everything else on my F30.
We expect only that our MPEs sound like yours, but it doesn't happen, because, as I wrote, there are two version, and the US one (code n.18302354340) - that you have probably installed - sounds noticeably better.
That's the point.
If you had mine UE version (code n.18302354339), I guess the same of Haitham786, you'd probably be very very disappointed and angry...
Gio72 is offline   Italy
      05-03-2014, 02:23 AM   #19
falar
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2014 335i M-sport/2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gio72 View Post
We expect only that our MPEs sound like yours, but it doesn't happen, because, as I wrote, there are two version, and the US one (code n.18302354340) - that you have probably installed - sounds noticeably better.
That's the point.
If you had mine UE version (code n.18302354339), I guess the same of Haitham786, you'd probably be very very disappointed and angry...
I guess so......I loved my MPPK/MPE combo from the first time I heard it a few weeks ago when I picked it up.

Can't wait to finish the break-in so I can hear it at 7k.
2014 335i M-Sport Mineral Grey / Sport Auto / Black Dakota / Aluminum Hex / Prem,Tech,DA packages / DHP / M-Sport Brakes / MPPK / MPE / Black Kidney Grilles, SS Pedals, M-Performance CF spoiler / Cameras, heated seats, etc etc

2013 X3 35i...wife's car
      05-03-2014, 03:10 AM   #20
UndersteerXI

Drives: Alpine White 435xi

Say what? It is a day and night difference in my case. My car sounds like a v8 muscle car in cold start. The exhaust burbles like crazy in sport mode. But I do have the mppk tho. The difference was pretty significant to me even before the exhaust fully breaks in. I just loveeeee the mppk/mpe combo.
UndersteerXI is offline   United_States
      05-03-2014, 03:13 AM   #21
UndersteerXI

Drives: Alpine White 435xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by falar View Post
I guess so......I loved my MPPK/MPE combo from the first time I heard it a few weeks ago when I picked it up.

Mine is at 2.5k now, and I can tell it's already quite louder.
UndersteerXI is offline   United_States
      05-03-2014, 07:13 AM   #22
Gio72
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by falar View Post

You make me so sad, guys!
Gio72 is offline   Italy