F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > which one should I buy guys.
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-05-2013, 11:45 AM   #1
leo89810
Enlisted Member
leo89810's Avatar
China
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GY

iTrader: (0)

which one should I buy guys.

Hi guys, I am going to buy a new car soon but I rly cant decide which one should I choose, so I hope gr8 people here could help me make a decision. This will be a long post, but i rly with to have some good suggestion, so thx for ur patience.

let me introduce myself for a bit, Im 24 and just get married last year, my first child is coming in June, and I currently own a Golf GTI. Im currently working in the family company, annual income is not very stable but good enough to afford those cars.

my choices of cars is below,(price is in CNY "chinese yuan", just give u an idea of number)

Bmw 335i xdrive (official price 660k, dealer price 620k-630k)
Audi S5 coupe (official price 750k, dealer price 650k-680k)
Bmw 1m coupe (OP 590k, DP 590k)
Bmw m135i (OP 490K, DP unknow)
Bmw X3 35i (OP 710K, DP 690k-700k)

so those 5 are my choices, but here are some problem,

335i is most balanced between performance/practicality, but the price performance ratio is low because a basic 535i sedan will cost about 660K also (btw a basic Audi A6 2.0T is only about 400k).

1m coupe is a bit too small, I like the performance and the limited number (only 418 in China), but i wonder if the boot is big enough for a pushchair and some bags so i can take my wife and baby out. The good news is the performance is just so good, so I will not worry about price.

X3 is best on most aspect except driving performance, and the price is a bit high.

m135i is just a improve performance version of GTI in my point of view, even thought I like the performance, still, i am not likely to buy this one, or maybe i should buy another sedan to replace GTI, so i got different car.

S5 is cool, performance is fine, price is acceptable, but I just dont like it compare to BMWs.



OR, maybe I should just spend more to get a E90/92 M3, or C63 amg. since those car are sooo incredible, any weakness is forgettable, but the price of 1m CNY is a bit out of budget.

so which one would u choose in this case.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR UR REPLY!!

Last edited by leo89810; 03-05-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #2
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
drob23's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,695
Posts

 
Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems you're a little too "all over the place" with your cross shopping. Trying to compare a 1m vs S5 vs X3 sort of hurts my head

It sounds to me like having a young baby + stroller to carry around would rule out coupes, esp the ones with no rear seat room. On the other hand, it's clear you value a balanced sports car, so don't go with a 5 series or X3. You also appear to want AWD, which will give you added piece of mind with the newborn in the back (make sure you get a recaro baby seat ).

So I'd cross shop the 335ix, C class 4matic and S4 to decide which one does it for you, factoring in pricing within your local market. Based on your initial choices, I can't see why the 335ix wouldn't be the one.
__________________
UNDRSTR
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
leo89810
Enlisted Member
leo89810's Avatar
China
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems you're a little too "all over the place" with your cross shopping. Trying to compare a 1m vs S5 vs X3 sort of hurts my head

It sounds to me like having a young baby + stroller to carry around would rule out coupes, esp the ones with no rear seat room. On the other hand, it's clear you value a balanced sports car, so don't go with a 5 series or X3. You also appear to want AWD, which will give you added piece of mind with the newborn in the back (make sure you get a recaro baby seat ).

So I'd cross shop the 335ix, C class 4matic and S4 to decide which one does it for you, factoring in pricing within your local market. Based on your initial choices, I can't see why the 335ix wouldn't be the one.

thx a lot m8, 335ix is my most likely choice too, its s shame but chinese car market is just terrible, the number of model available is very limited, so cars like c class 4matic and s4 is both not available in china, in fact f30 335i with RWD is also no in the market. I think if Im living in the US now everything will be just fine. LOL
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 01:38 PM   #4
BMWinGE
Captain
10
Rep
649
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

X3 seems to be the odd one out as far as your choices of coupes, but actually is the most practical considering you are having a baby (congrats!). Coupes are very difficult for dealing with car seats, so I would recommend the 335xi for the best performance and practicality.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #5
Roki_014
Major
33
Rep
1,231
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: chicago

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo89810 View Post

Bmw 335i xdrive (official price 660k, dealer price 620k-630k)
Audi S5 coupe (official price 750k, dealer price 650k-680k)
Bmw 1m coupe (OP 590k, DP 590k)
Bmw m135i (OP 490K, DP unknow)
Bmw X3 35i (OP 710K, DP 690k-700k)

so those 5 are my choices, but here are some problem,

335i is most balanced between performance/practicality, but the price performance ratio is low because a basic 535i sedan will cost about 660K also (btw a basic Audi A6 2.0T is only about 400k).
:

man that's expansive , i will sell you mine for 50k USD
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 01:49 PM   #6
BMWFanatic2008
Captain
BMWFanatic2008's Avatar
8
Rep
714
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M3
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
So I'd cross shop the 335ix, C class 4matic and S4 to decide which one does it for you, factoring in pricing within your local market. Based on your initial choices, I can't see why the 335ix wouldn't be the one.
C class 4matic? sorry, but this car doesn't come even close to 335/S4. Regular (non-AMG) c-class is garbage and it doesn't belong in this comparison.
__________________
F30 335xi | MSport | Estoril Blue | Sport 8AT | DHP | 19" 403M | ZDA | ZTP | Sat radio | 494 (Gone)
F30 335xi | MSport | Estoril Blue | 6MT | DHP | 19" 403M (Gone)
E92 335xi | MSport | Le Mans Blue Metallic (Gone)
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
leo89810
Enlisted Member
leo89810's Avatar
China
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
X3 seems to be the odd one out as far as your choices of coupes, but actually is the most practical considering you are having a baby (congrats!). Coupes are very difficult for dealing with car seats, so I would recommend the 335xi for the best performance and practicality.
Thank you! i think 335ix is the best one for me now, going to order it soon, it take 3 month at least to produce it in Munich and ship to China.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #8
leo89810
Enlisted Member
leo89810's Avatar
China
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roki_014 View Post
man that's expansive , i will sell you mine for 50k USD
yea the car price in China is just crazy, moreover, the fuel is expensive with a low quality (if u saw any news about beijing air pollution, thats the reason), I wish one day I could living in the US rly.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 02:09 PM   #9
leo89810
Enlisted Member
leo89810's Avatar
China
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
C class 4matic? sorry, but this car doesn't come even close to 335/S4. Regular (non-AMG) c-class is garbage and it doesn't belong in this comparison.
lol, I saw one episode of Motor Trend Head 2 Head put c350 compare with 335i and ATS 3.6, and if i remember it right ATS won and c350 is the 2nd, which rly make me rofl. Well, i never drive a ATS before so Im not going to judge how good it is, but if c350 is better than 335i, id like to take it as a joke.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 02:14 PM   #10
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
drob23's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,695
Posts

 
Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
C class 4matic? sorry, but this car doesn't come even close to 335/S4. Regular (non-AMG) c-class is garbage and it doesn't belong in this comparison.
Not that I disagree with you, just pointing out all the German's in the segment. Everyone has different needs/wants and I see a lot more Merc's on the road then I would think. Message board visiting enthusiasts fall into a very small subset of drivers .
__________________
UNDRSTR
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
drob23's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,695
Posts

 
Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo89810 View Post
lol, I saw one episode of Motor Trend Head 2 Head put c350 compare with 335i and ATS 3.6, and if i remember it right ATS won and c350 is the 2nd, which rly make me rofl. Well, i never drive a ATS before so Im not going to judge how good it is, but if c350 is better than 335i, id like to take it as a joke.
Those car mags tend to be pretty all over the place and suffer from all kinds of bias - they "borrow" the cars from OEM's to test drive, often in unbalanced configurations (see S4 vs 335i where BMW had AS tires) - a delicate relationship that probably fluctuates with good reviews from mags/perks from OEM's.

My best advice to you is use forums/websites/articles as a starting point to help narrow down your choices to a couple cars - that way you don't make test driving a full time job.
__________________
UNDRSTR
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
leo89810
Enlisted Member
leo89810's Avatar
China
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Those car mags tend to be pretty all over the place and suffer from all kinds of bias - they "borrow" the cars from OEM's to test drive, often in unbalanced configurations (see S4 vs 335i where BMW had AS tires) - a delicate relationship that probably fluctuates with good reviews from mags/perks from OEM's.

My best advice to you is use forums/websites/articles as a starting point to help narrow down your choices to a couple cars - that way you don't make test driving a full time job.
yea, i think ppl here gived me some good advise, I think i will just choose between 335ix and X3, both are good for taking family around, and enjoy driving, the price of them are similar to, but due to price issue i never heard any dealer in the whole china have a test drive car for 335ix, its just to unpopular, maybe i will try a 328i to get some idea.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 02:38 PM   #13
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
drob23's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,695
Posts

 
Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo89810 View Post
yea, i think ppl here gived me some good advise, I think i will just choose between 335ix and X3, both are good for taking family around, and enjoy driving, the price of them are similar to, but due to price issue i never heard any dealer in the whole china have a test drive car for 335ix, its just to unpopular, maybe i will try a 328i to get some idea.
Eh...if you want a sports car I think an X3 would be a total let down. What you really should be going for is the ultimate daddy mobile, the RS4 avant, unless of course you can get a cts-v wagon!!
__________________
UNDRSTR
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #14
leo89810
Enlisted Member
leo89810's Avatar
China
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
Eh...if you want a sports car I think an X3 would be a total let down. What you really should be going for is the ultimate daddy mobile, the RS4 avant, unless of course you can get a cts-v wagon!!
both not available, i feel sad for chinese car market, miss so much nice vehicle, can i ask ur view of 3 series GT or 5 series GT? Are those car offer a good driving exp?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:39 PM   #15
Nepal
Private
2
Rep
63
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 2013 335i M sport
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SolCa

iTrader: (0)

恭喜你,你成功地捍卫了一部分中国人在美国人心目中'钱多人傻'的暴发户的光辉形像。加油哦!给中国人争光 !!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #16
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
turbolag's Avatar
12
Rep
1,124
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

I'm leaning toward the M135i, only because I love hot hatch style cars...and in China (I assume you live in the metropolis), from what I have seen when I last went there, smaller cars and better...

If you have lots of space and roads to drive on, choose the S4/5/3er/M135i.

The X3...unless you have a family, don't bother.

I'm an idiot when it comes to buying new cars, though...

The S5 is a beautiful car, and I love it. But some people say the S4 it's understeery, crappy, all sorts of things. For that reason alone, I would stay away from the S4/5. (Choose the S4over the 5...cheaper, and more spacious.

Conclusion of textblock: Choose the M135i or 3er...the X3 is not desirable, and the 3GT and 5GT...they look ugly. That's opinion, but a guy with one lives nearby at his 5GT's rear end...ugh.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:56 PM   #17
aceking4u
Private First Class
1
Rep
111
Posts

 
Drives: Honda & Audi
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

You have my vote for the Audi S5.
__________________
Honda CR-Z - Daily Wife
Audi A5 - Weekend Mistress
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:59 PM   #18
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
shivaswrath's Avatar
United_States
43
Rep
3,141
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leo89810 View Post
Hi guys, I am going to buy a new car soon but I rly cant decide which one should I choose, so I hope gr8 people here could help me make a decision. This will be a long post, but i rly with to have some good suggestion, so thx for ur patience.

let me introduce myself for a bit, Im 24 and just get married last year, my first child is coming in June, and I currently own a Golf GTI. Im currently working in the family company, annual income is not very stable but good to afford those cars.

my choices of cars is below,(price is in CNY "chinese yuan", just give u an idea of number)

Bmw 335i xdrive (official price 660k, dealer price 620k-630k)
Audi S5 coupe (official price 750k, dealer price 650k-680k)
Bmw 1m coupe (OP 590k, DP 590k)
Bmw m135i (OP 490K, DP unknow)
Bmw X3 35i (OP 710K, DP 690k-700k)

so those 5 are my choices, but here are some problem,

335i is most balanced between performance/practicality, but the price performance ratio is low because a basic 535i sedan will cost about 660K also (btw a basic Audi A6 2.0T is only about 400k).

1m coupe is a bit too small, I like the performance and the limited number (only 418 in China), but i wonder if the boot is big enough for a pushchair and some bags so i can take my wife and baby out. The good news is the performance is just so good, so I will not worry about price.

X3 is best on most aspect except driving performance, and the price is a bit high.

m135i is just a improve performance version of GTI in my point of view, even thought I like the performance, still, i am not likely to buy this one, or maybe i should buy another sedan to replace GTI, so i got different car.

S5 is cool, performance is fine, price is acceptable, but I just dont like it compare to BMWs.



OR, maybe I should just spend more to get a E90/92 M3, or C63 amg. since those car are sooo incredible, any weakness is forgettable, but the price of 1m CNY is a bit out of budget.

so which one would u choose in this case.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR UR REPLY!!
1M dude...it is THE ultimate driving machine out there right now.
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:11 PM   #19
chrisny
Colonel
United_States
32
Rep
2,481
Posts

 
Drives: Msport '13 335xi & '14 X5 35i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE
X3 seems to be the odd one out as far as your choices of coupes, but actually is the most practical considering you are having a baby (congrats!). Coupes are very difficult for dealing with car seats, so I would recommend the 335xi for the best performance and practicality.
+1. But given what you said about income not being stable, and with a baby on the way, I would wonder if your GTI or a Honda cr-v is a better choice. I do know people who have used 4 door GTI's with 2 kids just fine with proper packing.

That said, if it really is stable enough "for these cars" and to make sure your family is secure and baby fed, 335 or X3. I have a hard time telling anyone with a baby on the way and an income that isn't stable to buy any BMW or Audi though.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
drob23's Avatar
United_States
19
Rep
1,695
Posts

 
Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
I'm leaning toward the M135i, only because I love hot hatch style cars...and in China (I assume you live in the metropolis), from what I have seen when I last went there, smaller cars and better...

If you have lots of space and roads to drive on, choose the S4/5/3er/M135i.

The X3...unless you have a family, don't bother.

I'm an idiot when it comes to buying new cars, though...

The S5 is a beautiful car, and I love it. But some people say the S4 it's understeery, crappy, all sorts of things. For that reason alone, I would stay away from the S4/5. (Choose the S4over the 5...cheaper, and more spacious.

Conclusion of textblock: Choose the M135i or 3er...the X3 is not desirable, and the 3GT and 5GT...they look ugly. That's opinion, but a guy with one lives nearby at his 5GT's rear end...ugh.
IMO the S5 is leaps and bounds better looking than the S4, one of the sexiest cars on the road.
__________________
UNDRSTR
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #21
leo89810
Enlisted Member
leo89810's Avatar
China
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepal View Post
恭喜你,你成功地捍卫了一部分中国人在美国人心目中'钱多人傻'的暴发户的光辉形像。加油哦!给中国人争光 !!
呵呵。。我在这发帖还在想。。外国人素质果然还是高。。回复都还是客观用心的。。国内论坛发个贴全部是站着 说话不腰疼的人。。不过还是逃不掉国人啊。。你也成功捍卫了国人在我眼里“高大光辉”的形象。 。

Last edited by leo89810; 03-05-2013 at 05:03 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #22
leo89810
Enlisted Member
leo89810's Avatar
China
0
Rep
44
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: GY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
I'm leaning toward the M135i, only because I love hot hatch style cars...and in China (I assume you live in the metropolis), from what I have seen when I last went there, smaller cars and better...

If you have lots of space and roads to drive on, choose the S4/5/3er/M135i.

The X3...unless you have a family, don't bother.

I'm an idiot when it comes to buying new cars, though...

The S5 is a beautiful car, and I love it. But some people say the S4 it's understeery, crappy, all sorts of things. For that reason alone, I would stay away from the S4/5. (Choose the S4over the 5...cheaper, and more spacious.

Conclusion of textblock: Choose the M135i or 3er...the X3 is not desirable, and the 3GT and 5GT...they look ugly. That's opinion, but a guy with one lives nearby at his 5GT's rear end...ugh.

thanks for ur reply. M135 is gr8 car, just because I own a GTI already, so i wish to try some different type, 3 series maybe my final decision.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST