F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > F30 N55 JB4+DP+E30+Intake & now issues after Charge Pipe install
European Auto Source

04-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #1
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

F30 N55 JB4+DP+E30+Intake & now issues after Charge Pipe install

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I've been modifying my 14 335i (F30 N55 EWG) progressively over the past 8 months or so and now I'm facing an "issue" after installing the VRSF Charge Pipe (everything else unchanged).

Here's what I have: JB4 with FF & EWG wires, VRSF DP, BMS Intake, and been running ~E30 or less without issues on Map 5. I recently installed a VRSF CP.

After installing the CP the car feels great at WOT so I don't suspect a leak or installation problem, but when cruising at regular speeds (ex. 40mph-60mph) on low rpms (ex. 1500rpm-1800rpm), the car jerks/hesitates as if you lifted your foot off the gas and put it back on again. It does that frequently (every 30 seconds or 1 minute) so it's really difficult to just have a smooth ride. I tried Maps 0, 1 & 2 and it's the same. I also realized after the CP install that I've had some isolated instances of rough starts as the rpm plays around for several seconds before the car idles.

Oh and I also refilled my tank with ~E30 mix after it started happening but nothing changed. I guess I'll try to add 93 pump gas to reduce the E content and see if it improves.

Any thoughts or recommendations??

'14 335i Alpine White on Coral Red | JB4 Map 5 | BMS Performance Intake | VRSF DP | E30 Gas | H&R Sport Springs | H&R Spacers | M Perf Grills | Painted M Perf Spoiler | Painted Reflectors | M Perf Pedals | 3M ColorStable 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 09:46 AM   #2
yoandry
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i E90 330i, JGC

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry
Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SP0RT View Post
I've been modifying my 14 335i (F30 N55 EWG) progressively over the past 8 months or so and now I'm facing an "issue" after installing the VRSF Charge Pipe (everything else unchanged).

Here's what I have: JB4 with FF & EWG wires, VRSF DP, BMS Intake, and been running ~E30 or less without issues on Map 5. I recently installed a VRSF CP.

After installing the CP the car feels great at WOT so I don't suspect a leak or installation problem, but when cruising at regular speeds (ex. 40mph-60mph) on low rpms (ex. 1500rpm-1800rpm), the car jerks/hesitates as if you lifted your foot off the gas and put it back on again. It does that frequently (every 30 seconds or 1 minute) so it's really difficult to just have a smooth ride. I tried Maps 0, 1 & 2 and it's the same. I also realized after the CP install that I've had some isolated instances of rough starts as the rpm plays around for several seconds before the car idles.

Oh and I also refilled my tank with ~E30 mix after it started happening but nothing changed. I guess I'll try to add 93 pump gas to reduce the E content and see if it improves.

Any thoughts or recommendations??
So, per your description, issues started after cp installed.

CP will bring out just 2 issues on bad installation.

1- Leaks. Double check the 3 connections and make sure you did transfer both O-Rings. BUT you said car feels good on WOT, and that is not enough as leak can be tricky. Logs will help on this.

2- intake Maf sensor and this could be the hesitation you have. Unplug it and see if works.
      04-18-2017, 10:34 AM   #3
Mike@N54Tuning.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Check for leaks and make sure you didn't damage the MAF sensor when installing it into the charge pipe. Also double check it fits in snuggly and smoothly and isn't angled.

Mike

SUMMER SIZZLER SPECIALS - CLICK HERE For ALL CRAZY SALES
N54 Catless Downpipes - 359.00 Shipped!! EVOLUTION RACEWERKS 10% OFF (+ Free Ship) PURE TURBOS - 10% OFF + Free Shipping! JB4s on SALE!! + FREE SHIP
Appreciate 1
      04-18-2017, 11:25 AM   #4
jgoens
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Check for leaks and make sure you didn't damage the MAF sensor when installing it into the charge pipe. Also double check it fits in snuggly and smoothly and isn't angled.

Mike
The MAF sensor is not on the CP..it is the TMAP sensor.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 06:49 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328

Sounds like a damaged sensor
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input everyone. I had the charge pipe installed by a pro so I took the car back today after running Map 0 to get the codes. It threw a code (can't remember exactly what it was) but he believes it's the MAF sensor.

Do I have a chance to get this resolved by cleaning it? The part is over $300 and honestly I think it's the installer's mistake that it got damaged. Do you agree?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 11:52 AM   #7
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
So, per your description, issues started after cp installed.

CP will bring out just 2 issues on bad installation.

1- Leaks. Double check the 3 connections and make sure you did transfer both O-Rings. BUT you said car feels good on WOT, and that is not enough as leak can be tricky. Logs will help on this.

2- intake Maf sensor and this could be the hesitation you have. Unplug it and see if works.
So you're saying unplug the MAF sensor and drive the car? I've heard about others with tuned cars doing that, but is it good on an F30 with JB4? What should I look for?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post

Mike
There is no visible damage to the MAF sensor and it fits well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
Sounds like a damaged sensor
MAF sensor you mean or could it be something else?

1. How can I find out if it really is the MAF sensor? Is there a good way to test this (ex. unplug & see what happens...)?
2. Could it be my BMS Intake causing issues here? They had to remove it for putting in the charge pipe.
3. I might take the car back to the shop to check for charge pipe leaks but they say this is very unlikely.

'14 335i Alpine White on Coral Red | JB4 Map 5 | BMS Performance Intake | VRSF DP | E30 Gas | H&R Sport Springs | H&R Spacers | M Perf Grills | Painted M Perf Spoiler | Painted Reflectors | M Perf Pedals | 3M ColorStable 35% Tint
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2017, 01:11 PM   #8
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also failed to mention one of the symptoms I'm experiencing is louder & harder burbles/popping when downshifting in Sport/Sport+ modes.

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 12:27 AM   #9
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
So you're saying unplug the MAF sensor and drive the car? I've heard about others with tuned cars doing that, but is it good on an F30 with JB4? What should I look for?

There is no visible damage to the MAF sensor and it fits well.

MAF sensor you mean or could it be something else?

1. How can I find out if it really is the MAF sensor? Is there a good way to test this (ex. unplug & see what happens...)?
2. Could it be my BMS Intake causing issues here? They had to remove it for putting in the charge pipe.
3. I might take the car back to the shop to check for charge pipe leaks but they say this is very unlikely.
Thought? Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2017, 09:33 AM   #10
BOSSBMW
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 X3 35i

Quote:
Thought? Ideas?
you've already been given advice by multiple people... have you tried their advice?
      04-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #11
yoandry
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i E90 330i, JGC

Send a message via AIM to yoandry Send a message via MSN to yoandry
Quote:
Thought? Ideas?
Try first unplugging the intake vacuum line to the cp. If the issue still present then is the maf sensor.
      04-21-2017, 04:59 PM   #12
GTBrandon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 M-Sport

Garage List
2014 335xi GT  [5.00]
Here is my advice:

It is extremely simple and quick to do, uninstall the BMS intake, and re-install the stock airbox. Keep the MAF plugged in, and drive around for a little to get everything accustomed the different airflow. See if that fixes your problem if it does then there you go!

I had a BMS intake with the same issues, and as soon as I switched back to stock, all issues went away without any power decrease. If this is the solution for your problems and you are worrying about power loss, grab a K&N drop-in filter for the stock airbox. You can grab an Afe filter as well, but I just can't justify spending $100 on one of those.

Hope this helps!

Frank Smith ECU Flash, VRSF DP, CTP FMIC, FTP CP, and K&N Drop-In
Appreciate 1
      04-22-2017, 12:43 PM   #13
Andlee
Private
Rep
Drives: F36 435I

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTBrandon View Post
Here is my advice:

It is extremely simple and quick to do, uninstall the BMS intake, and re-install the stock airbox. Keep the MAF plugged in, and drive around for a little to get everything accustomed the different airflow. See if that fixes your problem if it does then there you go!

I had a BMS intake with the same issues, and as soon as I switched back to stock, all issues went away without any power decrease. If this is the solution for your problems and you are worrying about power loss, grab a K&N drop-in filter for the stock airbox. You can grab an Afe filter as well, but I just can't justify spending $100 on one of those.

Hope this helps!
+10
Appreciate 2
      04-23-2017, 02:06 PM   #14
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSSBMW View Post
you've already been given advice by multiple people... have you tried their advice?
Yes I did. My mechanic checked the charge pipe connections, then I unplugged the MAF sensor for like 3 seconds while the car was idling and it kept running the same (hence damaged?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoandry View Post
Try first unplugging the intake vacuum line to the cp. If the issue still present then is the maf sensor.
I unplugged the intake vacuum line and plugged it back in. It was nice and snug.

Quote:
Here is my advice:

Hope this helps!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andlee View Post
+10
I removed my BMS intake and installed the stock air box. Drove it for 20-30 miles yesterday and nothing changed. The issue is still present.

I'm now looking to buy a MAF sensor. I have several options but I think I'm going with a brand new sensor off of eBay which is a lot cheaper than the dealership. I found a used option for cheap but I'm not taking that risk.

I will be on vacation for a week so as soon as I get back my sensor should should be waiting and I'll get it installed. I'll report back early May

Appreciate 1
      04-26-2017, 09:12 PM   #15
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

So I received and installed my new MAF Sensor today. Still having the same issues and after clearing the codes I got the same code again after a few miles of driving:
  • 102001 Air Mass, plausibility (from JB4 interface)

I had the same code before replacing the MAF Sensor... And if it matters it specifically said "102001 Air mass, plausibility: Air mass too high" when scanned on autologic equipment.

What can I do now

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 01:02 AM   #16
GTBrandon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335xi GT  [5.00]
Quote:
So I received and installed my new MAF Sensor today. Still having the same issues and after clearing the codes I got the same code again after a few miles of driving:
  • 102001 Air Mass, plausibility (from JB4 interface)

I had the same code before replacing the MAF Sensor... And if it matters it specifically said "102001 Air mass, plausibility: Air mass too high" when scanned on autologic equipment.

What can I do now
Have you tried talking to the dealer and asking what the code could be related to?

Also have you tried removing JB4 completely to see how the car reacts?

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 06:08 PM   #17
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Have you tried talking to the dealer and asking what the code could be related to?

I wasn't planning on going to the dealership as I don't want them to see my mods and I still have 6 months of warranty. I also did not completely remove JB4 (yet) and been running Map 0. That could be the next thing I do if the below doesn't work.

I dropped the car off at my mechanic who did the charge pipe as I'll be out of town for a few days. He's going to inspect the charge pipe installation again, and if it doesn't fix the issue he'll put back the stock charge pipe and see.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 06:34 PM   #18
GTBrandon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2014 335xi GT  [5.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I wasn't planning on going to the dealership as I don't want them to see my mods and I still have 6 months of warranty. I also did not completely remove JB4 (yet) and been running Map 0. That could be the next thing I do if the below doesn't work.

I dropped the car off at my mechanic who did the charge pipe as I'll be out of town for a few days. He's going to inspect the charge pipe installation again, and if it doesn't fix the issue he'll put back the stock charge pipe and see.
Bro...what do you think a warranty is for? Put it in map0, or remove the entire thing and then let the dealer deal with it, I was under the assumption you had no warranty.

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 07:34 PM   #19
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bro...what do you think a warranty is for? Put it in map0, or remove the entire thing and then let the dealer deal with it, I was under the assumption you had no warranty.
If swapping back the stock charge pipe doesn't fix it then I'll remove the JB4 & take it to the dealership... If I take it as is they'll say it's because of the aftermarket parts and won't fix it on warranty (and possibly won't even troubleshoot the issue). I first want to reverse what caused the issue.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 07:37 PM   #20
Lego864
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i m-sport

If you're going to take it to dealer, I suggest putting stock downpipe back on unless your dealer is very mod friendly.

Before that though, you should take some logs and try to replicate the problem. We'll be able to troubleshoot better if we can see what's going on
Appreciate 1
      04-28-2017, 08:23 PM   #21
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lego864 View Post
If you're going to take it to dealer, I suggest putting stock downpipe back on unless your dealer is very mod friendly.

Before that though, you should take some logs and try to replicate the problem. We'll be able to troubleshoot better if we can see what's going on
If the CP work doesn't get it resolved I can take some logs. But when I take JB4 logs I only see the WOT runs logged. The issue I'm facing is most obvious when cruising at low rpm's so not sure this will show up in logs?
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2017, 08:07 PM   #22
M-SP0RT
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I came back from vacation today and picked up my car after it spent 6 days at the mechanic.

He checked the CP installation and it was ok. He then installed the stock CP and the problem went away. Then installed the VRSF CP again and the problem came back. Then swapped back to stock CP and everything's fine.

In summary it's a CP problem. I'll contact the vendor and hopefully they'll take it back with no hassle. And here I am with an extra MAF Sensor that I don't need and of course don't ask about the labor charges I paid on all this
Appreciate 0