F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Anyone get just MPE without MPPK?
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-08-2014, 10:51 AM   #1
russellsdad
Private
 
russellsdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport 8AT EBII
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Anyone get just MPE without MPPK?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Looking for impressions for those that just got MPE without MPPK. Seems like most folks here get both.

Reason I am asking is that I really think the exhaust sound is lacking for the character of M Sport. I shouldn't have to lower all my windows and turn off the radio to hear it. My wife's G35 has a much better sounding exhaust (can't really same the same for the overall engine NVH though). So I figured MPE might help with that.

I am also considering the MPPK. But considering how much extra money I spent already on the car (extended coverages, clear bra, Bavsound speaker upgrades), I am kinda hesitant to jump in and spend another couple of grand or so for some more mods so quickly. Besides, I think the N55 power is pretty awesome already. So I figured perhaps I can go for MPE first and maybe MPPK later when I get desensitized to the amount of power on stock motor. But not sure it will be worth it if the sound is not noticeably improved enough w/o MPPK.

One more thing. As I have extended maintenance and warranty coverage, I am not considering 3rd party parts at this time. So sticking with M perf and dealer install as much as possible to avoid long term warranty coverage issues.

Thanks
__________________
2014 Estoril Blue II 335i M-Sport 8AT, DHP, DAP, Tech, Sport AT, M-brakes, HK w/BAVsound, MPPK+MPE.
2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6AT, Graphite.
2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Gold.
2001 Porsche Boxster S 6MT, Lapis Blue.
russellsdad is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 11:08 AM   #2
alpinweiss 335i
Brigadier General
 
alpinweiss 335i's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 f30 335i 6MT M-Sport
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Northeast USA

Posts: 3,153
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 f30 335i  [5.00]
2012 e92 M3  [5.00]
2013 f30 335i  [4.75]
2006 e90 330i  [5.00]
2003 e46 330xi  [4.00]
I'm a little confused, has it been installed on your car yet? If not, have you heard it in person before?
__________________
e46
e90
f30
e92 ///M

f30
alpinweiss 335i is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 11:13 AM   #3
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA

Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (0)

Do you have any pricing for this equipment?
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport MPPK - 2013 135is Cab 6MT - 2009 V-Star - 2009 Ford Expedition EL 4X4 - 2003 Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ranger 4X4 - FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 11:32 AM   #4
russellsdad
Private
 
russellsdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport 8AT EBII
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Have not bought anything yet. Am considering though hence reason I am asking. I have not had a chance to hear it in person yet at least not for F30 (heard a co-workers E90 M3, but totally different animal). But on many Youtube videos that I heard, seems most folks also had MPPK as well. So kinda hard to judge based on that.

Mainly I am trying to decide which route I want to go to get more visceral sound out of my F30 because it is way too muted for my taste. My main question is would MPE alone be worthwhile at least initially or do I really need to get both MPPK and MPE together to get the better sound that I have been hearing on F30post.

As for pricing, I am still researching that as well. I know that getbmwparts.com sells for $960 for 2014 335i with MSport. I am thinking though on checking one of my local SF area dealers to see if they can match price and/or get good deal with install.
russellsdad is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
mcli
_________
 
mcli's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335i 6mt
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Denver, CO

Posts: 216
iTrader: (2)

If you're looking for sound only, I'd consider the dinan axle back instead.
Many with the MPE complain that they have very little 'in cabin' sound with windows up.
mcli is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
ocarioca1m
New Member
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Brazil

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

It's very quiet... I wish I'd gone with dinan... Hopefully once my downpipe gets here It' ll get better. From outside the car it's better, however from inside the car it's not very loud... Very elegant...
__________________
Current: 2012 335i Sport Melbourne Red
Mods: Jb4 / BMS Intake / Challenge HFC DP/ ER Charge Pipe / M-Performance Exhaust / Dinan Suspension /M6 19" Reps
Rip: 1M
ocarioca1m is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 07:51 PM   #7
russellsdad
Private
 
russellsdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport 8AT EBII
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcli View Post
If you're looking for sound only, I'd consider the dinan axle back instead.
Many with the MPE complain that they have very little 'in cabin' sound with windows up.
I did consider Dinan, but is pricier by $300-400. Plus there is the warranty consideration. I know Dinan warrants up to new car warranty period. But I purchased 7 year EVP coverage. So prefer to stick with BMW parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocarioca1m View Post
It's very quiet... I wish I'd gone with dinan... Hopefully once my downpipe gets here It' ll get better. From outside the car it's better, however from inside the car it's not very loud... Very elegant...
Thanks for the info. Maybe I will need to do both MPPK as well as MPE then. I am OK with not hearing it with windows up. My main point was that I needed to basically turn off all sound system and roll down the windows to get even a whisper of the exhaust note. Don't really care how it sounds outside the car since I won't be standing outside the car when I am driving .

Anyone in SF Bay Area have good experiences with local dealer installing MPE and/or MPPK and willing to match other dealer prices?
russellsdad is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-08-2014, 09:48 PM   #8
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA

Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (0)

For what its worth my 335is exhaust is not loud in the car with normal driving but is quite loud at WOT. My 135is comes with the full Performance Exhaust & you can here it in the car & its very loud at WOT.

If you start both on the driveway you can tell very easily that the PE is putting out more decibels. Am looking at the M235 & 435M Sport to replace the 335is. If I get the 435 will order the PE to be installed at the dock the M235 comes with it as equipment.
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport MPPK - 2013 135is Cab 6MT - 2009 V-Star - 2009 Ford Expedition EL 4X4 - 2003 Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ranger 4X4 - FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 12:02 AM   #9
AgentCircus
Aviator
 
Drives: 335i M Sport, UH-60 Blackhawk
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Alabama

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

I wouldn't pay more than $850 for the MPE, $960 is way too much. If your dealer won't come down in price, then you're better off getting the Dinan.

Also, w/o the MPPK you won't have that exhaust burble as much.
AgentCircus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 03:59 AM   #10
AHB900
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335I M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Burbank CA

Posts: 133
iTrader: (0)

I have MPE without mppk and its still really quiet on the inside with windows up, but once you open all your windows it sounds pretty good.
__________________
2013 BMW 335I M-Sport: Premium, Cold Weather, Drivers Assist, Tech, HK, Sports Auto
AHB900 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 06:25 AM   #11
djw007
Private
 
Drives: F30 M Sport 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: sydney

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

MPE is a complete waste of money. BMW marketing at it's finest.
Absolutely ZERO audible difference from inside the car, and let's face it when you're driving the car you're inside the car!!
I basically felt as if i handed over $1400 and drove away with the stock exhaust still on..
djw007 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 08:27 AM   #12
AgentCircus
Aviator
 
Drives: 335i M Sport, UH-60 Blackhawk
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Alabama

Posts: 199
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw007 View Post
MPE is a complete waste of money. BMW marketing at it's finest.
Absolutely ZERO audible difference from inside the car, and let's face it when you're driving the car you're inside the car!!
I basically felt as if i handed over $1400 and drove away with the stock exhaust still on..
Not everyone wants to sound like a ricer. I think it adds just enough. You got ripped off if you paid $1400 though - should've shopped it around a little.
AgentCircus is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 08:55 AM   #13
Rossifumi
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Rossifumi's Avatar
 
Drives: Some BMW
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sweden

Posts: 1,645
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djw007 View Post
MPE is a complete waste of money. BMW marketing at it's finest.
Absolutely ZERO audible difference from inside the car, and let's face it when you're driving the car you're inside the car!!
I basically felt as if i handed over $1400 and drove away with the stock exhaust still on..
The cabin is pretty quiet in the F30. Even with my Akrapovic cat-back it is not that big of a difference inside the car. But it is a huge difference outside the car. It is the same with the MPE, you will most definitely hear the difference outside the car but not that big of a difference inside the car.

To really hear the difference inside the car you need something so loud that your neighbors will hate you.
Rossifumi is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 10:12 AM   #14
russellsdad
Private
 
russellsdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport 8AT EBII
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Thanks everyone for the response. It was really helpful. I may just bite the bullet and get both MPPK and MPE. I saw that Sterling BMW has MPE for $850 + 8% tax since I am in Cali. But I also saw on eBay another dealer in NJ selling for $859 no tax or shipping. I also saw that I can get MPPK for $1125 thru BMWCCA discount at Wagner BMW. So my next step is I will call around some local Bay Area dealers and see if they are willing to match prices on both to make things easier for me and perhaps cut some discount on install for both items. I am not in any rush so I can wait for a great deal if I have to. I'll post details later.
__________________
2014 Estoril Blue II 335i M-Sport 8AT, DHP, DAP, Tech, Sport AT, M-brakes, HK w/BAVsound, MPPK+MPE.
2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6AT, Graphite.
2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Gold.
2001 Porsche Boxster S 6MT, Lapis Blue.
russellsdad is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 10:39 AM   #15
FeckinSpaceman
First Lieutenant
 
FeckinSpaceman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i F10
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tampa FL

Posts: 319
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
I tried to get my dealer to match the $850 that sterlingbmw has on ebay, with Free shipping as well, but......... my local dealer contact tried....but couldn't do it.

They said their hard cost was $960 so they were curious how they were doing it with tips and shipping.

Go figs
FeckinSpaceman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 10:48 AM   #16
russellsdad
Private
 
russellsdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport 8AT EBII
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeckinSpaceman
I tried to get my dealer to match the $850 that sterlingbmw has on ebay, with Free shipping as well, but......... my local dealer contact tried....but couldn't do it.

They said their hard cost was $960 so they were curious how they were doing it with tips and shipping.

Go figs
That's good to know. That makes me think I should just get the NJ deal before they run out. Maybe was a huge volume discount from the factory or something. Hopefully I can get MPPK still for better price.
__________________
2014 Estoril Blue II 335i M-Sport 8AT, DHP, DAP, Tech, Sport AT, M-brakes, HK w/BAVsound, MPPK+MPE.
2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan 6AT, Graphite.
2003 Honda Odyssey EX-L, Gold.
2001 Porsche Boxster S 6MT, Lapis Blue.
russellsdad is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 11:50 AM   #17
BEAR-AvHistory
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
 
BEAR-AvHistory's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 435M-Sport MPPK
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: NC - USA

Posts: 2,216
iTrader: (0)

I have bought items from a dealer in Morristown NJ & the price was always the cheapest I could find. Service was excellent also with free shipping & no tax in NC.

BTW if you want big sound in the car buy an M5, they pipe it into the sound system from the hard drive. These cars have a lot of sound insulation so they would take a full rice exhaust to make a lot of noise inside except at full WOT.

It easy to here in the 135is because its a convertible.
__________________
Kevin

2014 435M-Sport MPPK - 2013 135is Cab 6MT - 2009 V-Star - 2009 Ford Expedition EL 4X4 - 2003 Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ranger 4X4 - FFR Cobra MK-IV work in progress
BEAR-AvHistory is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #18
mhanism
Private First Class
 
Drives: MY14 335i M Sport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Jose, Ca

Posts: 162
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellsdad View Post
Thanks everyone for the response. It was really helpful. I may just bite the bullet and get both MPPK and MPE. I saw that Sterling BMW has MPE for $850 + 8% tax since I am in Cali. But I also saw on eBay another dealer in NJ selling for $859 no tax or shipping. I also saw that I can get MPPK for $1125 thru BMWCCA discount at Wagner BMW. So my next step is I will call around some local Bay Area dealers and see if they are willing to match prices on both to make things easier for me and perhaps cut some discount on install for both items. I am not in any rush so I can wait for a great deal if I have to. I'll post details later.
Nice choice. I had just the MPE (port installed) for about a month before I got the MPPK; and similar to the other posts, the sound was much deeper vs. stock (especially in Sport) and added throatier, more aggressive sound on the outside, with no drone on the inside. Also felt a shade less restriction on the back end when accelerating. Was "elegant" and not overbearing, which is perfect for my purposes.

Enter MPPK, and you get another couple notches of deeper growl, with much more noticeable exhaust burbles in comfort, and even more so in sport. The MPPK really adds another dimension to the car, w/ the MPE adding the cherry on top.

Are you in the Bay Area?
mhanism is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 04:06 PM   #19
The Nerd
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Ohio

Posts: 320
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory
I have bought items from a dealer in Morristown NJ & the price was always the cheapest I could find. Service was excellent also with free shipping & no tax in NC.

BTW if you want big sound in the car buy an M5, they pipe it into the sound system from the hard drive. These cars have a lot of sound insulation so they would take a full rice exhaust to make a lot of noise inside except at full WOT.

It easy to here in the 135is because its a convertible.
Is the Borla S-Type a full rice exhaust?
The Nerd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 04:56 PM   #20
M-terkait
Lieutenant
 
M-terkait's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kuwait

Posts: 546
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Skype™ to M-terkait
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Is the Borla S-Type a full rice exhaust?
you mean rice or race ?
it suppose to be really good and not that loud + it's catback
__________________
FBO:Wagner Tuning IC, ChallengeUSA-DP.
ER Cp, BMS intake, Jb4 stg2.
cf strutbar , apex ec-7
pure turbo stage 1 , IPE catback.
M-terkait is offline   Kuwait
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #21
FeckinSpaceman
First Lieutenant
 
FeckinSpaceman's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 BMW 550i F10
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tampa FL

Posts: 319
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by russellsdad View Post
That's good to know. That makes me think I should just get the NJ deal before they run out. Maybe was a huge volume discount from the factory or something. Hopefully I can get MPPK still for better price.
I ended up buying MPE from sterling.

I have really been considering the MPPK but I am trying to hold out for the Dinan tune.... provided the numbers justify the cost
FeckinSpaceman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #22
russellsdad
Private
 
russellsdad's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport 8AT EBII
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SF Bay Area

Posts: 86
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Nice choice. I had just the MPE (port installed) for about a month before I got the MPPK; and similar to the other posts, the sound was much deeper vs. stock (especially in Sport) and added throatier, more aggressive sound on the outside, with no drone on the inside. Also felt a shade less restriction on the back end when accelerating. Was "elegant" and not overbearing, which is perfect for my purposes.

Enter MPPK, and you get another couple notches of deeper growl, with much more noticeable exhaust burbles in comfort, and even more so in sport. The MPPK really adds another dimension to the car, w/ the MPE adding the cherry on top.

Are you in the Bay Area?
Yes, I am in East Bay. But my preferred dealer is BMW of Mountain View, closer to work in Silicon Valley. Hoping to call some Parts departments tomorrow to see what can be done in terms of price matching. But definitely willing to take to anywhere in Bay Area that is very good with M-sport mod installs.
russellsdad is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:12 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST