F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > what sideeffects with mufflerdelete?

11-14-2016, 05:49 PM   #1
flipporabasta
BMW n00b
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 335i F30

Garage List
what sideeffects with mufflerdelete?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hi. what sideeffects do muffler delete have, besides creating even better exhaust sound?

thinking i might do it, instead of buying a complete exhaust for like $500-$1000.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 06:00 PM   #2
deezeedee335
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

None what so ever.

Your car will just be a bit louder and you will get some cabin drone.

You will piss off your neighbors on a cold start for the first 1-2 minutes but then it will start to quiet down.
Appreciate 2
      11-14-2016, 07:06 PM   #3
Polo08816
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipporabasta View Post
Hi. what sideeffects do muffler delete have, besides creating even better exhaust sound?

thinking i might do it, instead of buying a complete exhaust for like $500-$1000.
Moar powa. Duh!
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 08:08 PM   #4
Supremeceas
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M EB2/CR

I have a muffler delete sounds great at times but then there's times that the cabin drone sound kills me especially when just cruising. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 09:52 PM   #5
N0Chill 335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 M Sport TiAG

Get a j-pipe added on when you do the delete, it kills the drone. Which in... the drone on this platform is minimal anyway, when compared to muffler delete/straightpipe on other platforms.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2016, 11:44 PM   #6
Kingpin4
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 black 435i xdrive f32

FART PIPE SOUND! :
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 12:53 AM   #7
Dejan_
Vehicle Operations
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 164 MPH SO FAR

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deezeedee335 View Post
None what so ever.

You will piss off your neighbors on a cold start for the first 1-2 minutes but then it will start to quiet down.
Not true this is slightly misleading on these newer valved exhausts. While you may perhaps pick up power up top but you will definitely lose torque down low. But it will be so minimal it'll hardly be noticeable.

Which brings me to the second and worse draw back. Turbo spool-up time. It will be reduced and spool up slower, that valve in your left tail pipe is an actuator for noise and drone but also adjusts back pressure depending on throttle position so it allows the turbo to spool-up faster.

Again..will it be significant. No. will some notice a difference? Yes and No.

Imo it's too drony and loud. It'll excite you for about a week or two but drive you nuts while trying to cruise somewhere and relax. But it hasn't and won't stop people it's their desire for loud and this is the way to cost effectively do it.
      11-15-2016, 01:25 AM   #8
Vegetable
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejan_ View Post
Not true this is slightly misleading on these newer valved exhausts. While you may perhaps pick up power up top but you will definitely lose torque down low. But it will be so minimal it'll hardly be noticeable.

Which brings me to the second and worse draw back. Turbo spool-up time. It will be reduced and spool up slower, that valve in your left tail pipe is an actuator for noise and drone but also adjusts back pressure depending on throttle position so it allows the turbo to spool-up faster.

Imo it's too drony and loud. It'll excite you for about a week or two but drive you nuts while trying to cruise somewhere and relax. But it hasn't and won't stop people it's their desire for loud and this is the way to cost effectively do it.
So if you are in sport or sport + when the valve is constantly open (when the engine is warm) the turbo spool time is slower?
      11-15-2016, 01:39 AM   #9
Dejan_
Vehicle Operations
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
Quote:

So if you are in sport or sport + when the valve is constantly open (when the engine is warm) the turbo spool time is slower?
That valve still activates with throttle regardless of mode. If valve is wide open and you're in sport+ and you go WOT it'll open and close as quick as the dme tells it. It's basically designed for turbo spool up.

But being a dual purpose as well, making the car louder and quieter, particularly at startup.

You ever notice when even your car is warm and you shut it off and run to do a quick errand. Restart and throw it back in sport + and notice it doesn't open the valve right away. You hear that valve a minute or two later.
      11-15-2016, 02:09 AM   #10
Vegetable
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport MT

Quote:
That valve still activates with throttle regardless of mode. If valve is wide open and you're in sport+ and you go WOT it'll open and close as quick as the dme tells it. It's basically designed for turbo spool up.

But being a dual purpose as well, making the car louder and quieter, particularly at startup.

You ever notice when even your car is warm and you shut it off and run to do a quick errand. Restart and throw it back in sport + and notice it doesn't open the valve right away. You hear that valve a minute or two later.
So you're saying that if I have my car in Sport + the valve will still open and close depending on throttle position regardless of engine temp?
      11-15-2016, 05:09 AM   #11
flipporabasta
BMW n00b
Sweden
Rep
Drives: Melbourne Red 335i F30

Garage List
Ok. So lets say i do the muffler delete but keep the exhaust valve. That way spooltime wont be affected. Well i guess some, cause the muffler also acts as resistance, or? What about droning?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 07:00 AM   #12
J_MENIS
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i

I have a cat/resnator/muffler delete. PM for a video,

You'll throw a code without the muffler because the exhaust flapper will be disconnected

Otherwise real cheap set-up and I get a ton of compliments
      11-15-2016, 10:25 AM   #13
Dejan_
Vehicle Operations
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegetable View Post
Quote:

So you're saying that if I have my car in Sport + the valve will still open and close depending on throttle position regardless of engine temp?
In sport + your valve will be wide open once optimal temps are reached. For many reasons, including to get the sportier deeper sound. But yes one you stomp on your car I wanna say either 3/4 throttle or wot the dme will determine how much to open and close that valve.

Twin power turbo design is a very genius efficient.

Now don't get me wrong, if you delete that valve you may not even notice it honestly but it will affect the turbo a bit.

This also pertains mainly all in OEM stock form. When we start to mod and go tunes and catless things change and power and throttle response changes in other various ways then that valve may even become irrelevant. But stock form just chopping off the muffler and valve you will get those affects I mentioned.
      11-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #14
Dejan_
Vehicle Operations
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipporabasta View Post
Ok. So lets say i do the muffler delete but keep the exhaust valve. That way spooltime wont be affected. Well i guess some, cause the muffler also acts as resistance, or? What about droning?
Are you stock or have other mods? If you're stock and do the muffler delete you'll lose some torque down low, but as I've said not much to really worry about.

Yes you'll definitely have drone regardless of what anyone is telling you.

I have a modified OEM muffler and down pipe and it's nothing nearly as loud as a muffler delete ad. I get some drone.

Once you remove the helmholdtz chamber that's part of that muffler say hello to drone.
      11-15-2016, 03:01 PM   #15
roundel335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 16 228i Cabrio

Garage List
Hold on just a minute here - backpressure does NOT improve turbo spooling! The amount of exhaust flowing into the turbine side of the turbo is controlled by the wastegate, not the valve on the muffler. Many aftermarket exhausts do away with the valve, and it has no effect on power. It's strictly to reduce exhaust noise, particularly at cold start where the wastegate stays wide open and the majority of exhaust gas bypasses the turbo altogether. Boost is controlled by varying the opening of the wastegate, and the valve on the muffler doesn't even enter into the equation.

The muffler diverter valve is activated by the DME according to throttle position once the engine is at optimum temperature, and it opens when you floor the throttle or when you're in Sport/Sport+ mode to provide better exhaust flow. Backpressure reduces turbo spool time because the exhaust gas doesn't exit the turbo fast enough. Muffler backpressure is minimal; changing to a less-restrictive catalytic converter core or removing it altogether improves exhaust flow and reduces backpressure. Why do you think you gain so much more power when you install a catless DP?

Some of y'all need to so some studying up on how turbochargers actually work...

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2016 228i M-Sport Cabrio 8AT
Appreciate 1
      11-15-2016, 04:08 PM   #16
Polo08816
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Hold on just a minute here - backpressure does NOT improve turbo spooling! The amount of exhaust flowing into the turbine side of the turbo is controlled by the wastegate, not the valve on the muffler. Many aftermarket exhausts do away with the valve, and it has no effect on power. It's strictly to reduce exhaust noise, particularly at cold start where the wastegate stays wide open and the majority of exhaust gas bypasses the turbo altogether. Boost is controlled by varying the opening of the wastegate, and the valve on the muffler doesn't even enter into the equation.

The muffler diverter valve is activated by the DME according to throttle position once the engine is at optimum temperature, and it opens when you floor the throttle or when you're in Sport/Sport+ mode to provide better exhaust flow. Backpressure reduces turbo spool time because the exhaust gas doesn't exit the turbo fast enough. Muffler backpressure is minimal; changing to a less-restrictive catalytic converter core or removing it altogether improves exhaust flow and reduces backpressure. Why do you think you gain so much more power when you install a catless DP?

You mean watching The Fast and the Furious is not enough?!?!!
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 05:09 PM   #17
Dejan_
Vehicle Operations
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post

Which is inline with what I'm saying in your second paragraph, especially on modded cars, yes the chopping off the muffler will reduce torque down low but add some power up top. On a stock twin power turbo there was an article I read (i can't friggin find it now) that the valve actually helps response time.

Pretty familiar with how a turbo works brother, I added that the diffidence will be so slight and hardly noticeable just like with a chopped muffler. You'll gain a bunch of noise.

And yes adding a DP adds power of course but the gains are absolutely minimal without a proper tuning device be it JB4, or flash or any tuning we have available on the N55. You put a DP on a stock car with no other mods you gain what 8-9 maybe 10hp, if you notice that your senses are amazing lol but pair it with a tune it's what 30rwhp...

There's a quite a bit more as how the twin power turbo works and as to why it's efficient and has very very little lag but that's a different story.
      11-15-2016, 07:46 PM   #18
anrec330
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Which is inline with what I'm saying in your second paragraph, especially on modded cars, yes the chopping off the muffler will reduce torque down low but add some power up top. On a stock twin power turbo there was an article I read (i can't friggin find it now) that the valve actually helps response time.

Pretty familiar with how a turbo works brother, I added that the diffidence will be so slight and hardly noticeable just like with a chopped muffler. You'll gain a bunch of noise.

And yes adding a DP adds power of course but the gains are absolutely minimal without a proper tuning device be it JB4, or flash or any tuning we have available on the N55. You put a DP on a stock car with no other mods you gain what 8-9 maybe 10hp, if you notice that your senses are amazing lol but pair it with a tune it's what 30rwhp...

There's a quite a bit more as how the twin power turbo works and as to why it's efficient and has very very little lag but that's a different story.

Listen to this man.

I just got my muffler delete his morning and the shop cut the valve off the stock muffler and welded it to my muffler delete.

We opened the valve and bottom end sort of feels like it's in eco mode for a second or two.

Put the valve working like normal and the power was back to normal. You'd probably not feel this considering the added noise makes you feel faster but when you try it back to back you will notice it.

Will take pics tomorrow morning as I get off work at midnight
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #19
AGONXF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:
Quote:
None what so ever.

I am not sure you know what you are talking about.

BTW the F30 Muffler is basically a straight pipe into a Y splitter and out both sides so, it is basically free flow. The muffler is nothing more than a huge chamber to quiet down the exhaust.
Appreciate 2
      11-15-2016, 08:47 PM   #20
Dejan_
Vehicle Operations
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
None what so ever.

I am not sure you know what you are talking about.

BTW the F30 Muffler is basically a straight pipe into a Y splitter and out both sides so, it is basically free flow. The muffler is nothing more than a huge chamber to quiet down the exhaust.
Maybe you're right I'm just going old n crazy...lol

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=819125

I'm pretty sure I'm "on the in" of how the muffler is designed and works but thanks for the free lesson.
      11-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #21
AGONXF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i S-Line/Melbourne Red

Quote:

I'm pretty sure I'm "on the in" of how the muffler is designed and works but thanks for the free lesson.
Awesome, so you out of all people should know that a muffler delete will not cause any performance losses, but it will certainly be annoying. I have had few turbo cars and removing any restrictions in the exhaust is the way to go.
Appreciate 1
      11-16-2016, 01:46 AM   #22
Dejan_
Vehicle Operations
Serbia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AGONXF30 View Post
Quote:

Awesome, so you out of all people should know that a muffler delete will not cause any performance losses, but it will certainly be annoying. I have had few turbo cars and removing any restrictions in the exhaust is the way to go.
Exactly that you'll gain power certainly and sound

Roundel335 did sum it up spot on especially with the back pressure.

Bottom line the thread went into too many explanations, yes delete the muffler it'll be a performance plus but be prepared for drone.