F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Coding via Virtualbox
GetBMWParts

06-16-2014, 10:18 PM   #1
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport EBII 6MT

Has anyone had any luck getting their car to connect to their Mac using Virtualbox running windows xp? I was able to get E-sys 3.23.4 and psdzdata 52.3 from Shawn over at bimmerfest forums (didn't realize he was on f30post too until I just saw his name pop up on another thread a minute ago lol) I unpacked all the psdzdata files to C:\Data and wanted to make sure I can connect before I bought a token.

From one of the many PDFs I've read, when a connection is established, I should see a pop up with yellow exclamation point with vehicle information. I waited several minutes but nothing happened. Do I have my network settings configured incorrectly? This is what I have it set to

Any info from successful coders using Virtualbox would be much appreciated!!
Attached Images

2013 EB2 F30 335i M-Sport 6MT / M Performance Front Lip / M Performance Shift Knob w. Alcantara Boot / EB2 Matched Side Markers / EB2 Matched Keyhole Cover / CF Wrapped Rear Spoiler / CF Wrapped Mirror Caps / Matte Black Grill / Mirrorred Signal Bulbs / H&R Sport Springs w. Bilstein B8 Suspension / Vintage Gold Dipped Niche Verona's 19x8.5 F and 19x9.5 R ET+35 Wrapped in Conti DWS
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 10:36 PM   #2
dmk11
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Drives: '14 335i 6MT

I use virtualbox on macbook air running XP. However, since air doesn't have built-in ethernet, I bought ethernet USB dongle and use that for coding. I added "USB device filter" for that device, this way XP VM sees the USB device when I plug it in (plug in USB dongle after VM starts) and uses its Windows driver to work with it. This works great. I am not sure what would work best with built-in network adapter. The 'establishing network' connection phase does take a couple of minutes, maybe you just need to wait a bit longer?

If all else fails - buy a USB adapter. It's ~$20 for the USB3 Gigabit version.
http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Gigab.../dp/B00AQM8586
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 12:21 PM   #3
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks for your response dmk. I have an actual ethernet port on my late 2011 macbook pro so it works in my favor but if I can't get it to work then I might just have to get the adapter you recommended.

Did you have to mess with any of the network settings on the host side, i.e. turnoff wifi and turn on connection via ethernet? I'm thinking I might have to do that on the host side and then bridge the connection so it reflects on the guest side. The "Adapter type" is still unclear to me though.

I did catch a glimpse of a yellow pop up on the bottom right of the screen when I played around with the different network settingin in VB. However, I didn't see what the message said (Doh!) perhaps it was a message saying it detected the Ethernet port. Guess I'll have to try again when I get home today.
2013 EB2 F30 335i M-Sport 6MT / M Performance Front Lip / M Performance Shift Knob w. Alcantara Boot / EB2 Matched Side Markers / EB2 Matched Keyhole Cover / CF Wrapped Rear Spoiler / CF Wrapped Mirror Caps / Matte Black Grill / Mirrorred Signal Bulbs / H&R Sport Springs w. Bilstein B8 Suspension / Vintage Gold Dipped Niche Verona's 19x8.5 F and 19x9.5 R ET+35 Wrapped in Conti DWS
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:23 PM   #4
dmk11
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamouz627 View Post
Thanks for your response dmk. I have an actual ethernet port on my late 2011 macbook pro so it works in my favor but if I can't get it to work then I might just have to get the adapter you recommended.

Did you have to mess with any of the network settings on the host side, i.e. turnoff wifi and turn on connection via ethernet? I'm thinking I might have to do that on the host side and then bridge the connection so it reflects on the guest side. The "Adapter type" is still unclear to me though.

I did catch a glimpse of a yellow pop up on the bottom right of the screen when I played around with the different network settingin in VB. However, I didn't see what the message said (Doh!) perhaps it was a message saying it detected the Ethernet port. Guess I'll have to try again when I get home today.
That's the thing.. by adding "USB filter" for this device and plugging it in only after VM boots up, the host doesn't even "see" the device attached to the USB port, instead it gives the VM full control of the device. So, in my VirtualBox network settings, the USB dongle doesn't even show up as a network interface.

I am pretty sure you can get the built-in network adapter to work, though. Try reading setup instructions for esys setup on various VMs... it will probably work pretty much the same on VirtualBox.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:01 PM   #5
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk11 View Post
That's the thing.. by adding "USB filter" for this device and plugging it in only after VM boots up, the host doesn't even "see" the device attached to the USB port, instead it gives the VM full control of the device. So, in my VirtualBox network settings, the USB dongle doesn't even show up as a network interface.

I am pretty sure you can get the built-in network adapter to work, though. Try reading setup instructions for esys setup on various VMs... it will probably work pretty much the same on VirtualBox.
Yeah, I've tried for the past 3 hours and no dice. I'm pretty sure the built in ethernet port would work too but I can't get it to work. I just tried connecting the cable from car to computer and on the host side it's definitely registering something because in the networks window it shows a yellow light next to ethernet and says "self-assigned IP"
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #6
dmk11
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

It's the "right" IP on host side. I think the correct way for you would be to connect laptop to car BEFORE booting into VM. Get the 'self-assigned' IP. Then start VM, using "bridged mode" network and windows should be able to talk to the car using the IP assigned on host side...

take a look at this: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=731908

What does it look like on VM site when you use "bridged adapter" mode? Does Windows show the same IP address? If so, I think you are all set...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I'll try to connect the cable before I load up VB in the morning. I took some screen shots and the IP addresses don't match. Hopefully connecting it before launching VB like you said, will do the trick. Guess I'll report back tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:20 PM   #8
Infamouz627
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok so I did further testing but instead of running downstairs to the car I just tried it with my internet signal. I connected the cable directly from my modem to the Ethernet adapter on my Mac and was able to get a signal on host side. I then booted up VB with the bridged adapter and Ethernet connection and was unable to get a signal on windows side. The IP address on host is still different from IP on guest.

EDIT: I just tried changing network settings on the host side to Ethernet configure IPv4 from "Using DHCP" to "Using DHCP with manual address" and changed the IP address to reflect what it would be on the guest side and that did nothing. Now I'm at a loss.

EDIT: Finally got the car connected via VIN. I'm not sure what changed as I left settings the same. Maybe it was the fact that I needed to connect the car to laptop before I ran VM, thanks for the suggestion dmk. Now the only problem is I'm getting an "open connection failed: C028 error". Any idea what this might be?

Last edited by Infamouz627; 06-22-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Appreciate 0