F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > F30 DIYs and Coding Discussions > Problem programming key fob
GetBMWParts

01-06-2016, 06:14 PM   #1
Tgdc
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xdrive

Problem programming key fob

When I picked up my 340i a month ago they only had one fob for it (not clear to me why) so they ordered another. I didn't want to have to drive all the way back to the dealer (which isn't close) to have it programmed so they mailed it to me. But I can't get the programming to work. I've tried holding it up to the steering column while starting the car but it doesn't do anything. (The car starts fine but iDrive doesn't pop up the profile message, etc). Is there some way to reset the key that I need to do? The only other thing I can think of is is it possible that my coding the car to take away the initial disclaimer screen or something like that could have had an effect (the reason I thought of that is since it is a feature in iDrive that comes on when the system starts so maybe the initialization routine and that are tied together?). Has anti else had an issue programming an F30 key?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 02:44 AM   #2
HFW003
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY16 MG F10 528

What you are doing is correct just ensure the other key is well and truly out of range of the car.

I can take a few goes to program the key.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 04:55 AM   #3
2bad4u
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW - Derrrrrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFW003 View Post
What you are doing is correct just ensure the other key is well and truly out of range of the car.
You sure about that? I needed the original key in the car to program the new one.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 05:19 AM   #4
HFW003
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY16 MG F10 528

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bad4u View Post
You sure about that? I needed the original key in the car to program the new one.
Sorry, my mistake.

Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 08:41 AM   #5
Tgdc
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i xdrive

The BMW "Genius" came over last night and fixed this. He tried the normal method I was trying and it still didn't work so he did a different process. I couldn't see exactly what was involved since I was outside the car but it appeared to involve putting the car into some kind of diagnostic mode by holding down the lock button (inside the car not on the fob) and some other sequence of key presses. I think he referred to it as doing a key read. Does anyone know how to do that in the car or what it does just out of curiousity?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2016, 12:23 PM   #6
jebs2k
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tgdc View Post
The BMW "Genius" came over last night and fixed this. He tried the normal method I was trying and it still didn't work so he did a different process. I couldn't see exactly what was involved since I was outside the car but it appeared to involve putting the car into some kind of diagnostic mode by holding down the lock button (inside the car not on the fob) and some other sequence of key presses. I think he referred to it as doing a key read. Does anyone know how to do that in the car or what it does just out of curiousity?
+1
anyone know the second method? dealer sent me new key but can't program
      08-12-2016, 12:44 PM   #7
Dang3r
Schmollbraten
Germany
Rep
Drives: M435i

Normally BMW supports new cars with approximately 2 ready coded keys.
If you lost one, destroy one, kids swallowing it, (...) blablabla, then you have to go to the dealer and must let deactivate the lost or destroyed key first bevor be able to activate another one.
In fact you want to have 3 keys active, thats also possible but took a few minutes at the dealer to release the electronic blocade of that.

Don't like my ///M? Call 0-8-0-0-E-A-T-S-H-*-T
Appreciate 0