F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > M Sport Bumper retrofit?
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-20-2013, 03:10 AM   #1
Pandarakus
Private
5
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

M Sport Bumper retrofit?

Hi guys,

I am planning to change my body kit into M sport body kit. I'm thinking to buy it here
http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462.
My question is. My car is a "base model" without any line, and if I upgrade the body kit into M Sport, will it worth more if I sell it back to the dealer? or is it still considered a "base model"?

Note that the M Sport Body Kit is a "Genuine BMW F30 3 Series M Sport Aerodymanic Kit"
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 03:12 AM   #2
rxander
Lieutenant
rxander's Avatar
12
Rep
478
Posts

Drives: F30 Alpine White
Join Date: May 2012
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandarakus View Post
Hi guys,

I am planning to change my body kit into M sport body kit. I'm thinking to buy it here
http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462.
My question is. My car is a "base model" without any line, and if I upgrade the body kit into M Sport, will it worth more if I sell it back to the dealer? or is it still considered a "base model"?
Probably not. You would still lack the m-sport interior steering wheel, seats, etc.
Don't do it if you plan to resell or trade in the near future.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
Pandarakus
Private
5
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxander View Post
Probably not. You would still lack the m-sport interior steering wheel, seats, etc.
Don't do it if you plan to resell or trade in the near future.
Hi, thanks for the response. I am confused, I asked some of my friends who did some modifications with the genuine BMW parts and they finally sell their car for a higher price.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 07:34 AM   #4
jzcrna
Captain
53
Rep
935
Posts

Drives: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

I put an M sport kit and 550i rims on an E60 535i and it cost me a lot of money. it looked badass and I also hat the other bits from the sport package. However I sold the car and it didn't increase the value. However if someone really likes the look then they are more likely to buy it.

I would never put an m body kit with those base rims though.

Doing this second-hand is also never the same as from the factory. Paint isn't exactly the same for a variety of factors And may look different over time.

Don't do it. it's impulsive.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:07 AM   #5
64-bit
Captain
64-bit's Avatar
United_States
138
Rep
978
Posts

Drives: 16 M3 MW, MAN - ED 11/26/2016
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Boston, MA

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna
I put an M sport kit and 550i rims on an E60 535i and it cost me a lot of money. it looked badass and I also hat the other bits from the sport package. However I sold the car and it didn't increase the value. However if someone really likes the look then they are more likely to buy it.

I would never put an m body kit with those base rims though.

Doing this second-hand is also never the same as from the factory. Paint isn't exactly the same for a variety of factors And may look different over time.

Don't do it. it's impulsive.
+1
__________________
2016 M3, Mineral White, SO Leather, MANUAL - ED 11/26/2015
2013 335i, Blue, M-Sport, Auto w/Sport Trans - ED 06/10/2013
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
BTT 335i
Lieutenant
BTT 335i's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
578
Posts

Drives: X5 F15 M Sport- F30 M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: NY

iTrader: (4)

I did it, my car is a 335 sport line and now is a sport line plus M and the car looks very nice.
Carbon fiber cover mirrors
Carbon fiber spoiler
M pedals
M Front sides and rear bumper
M door sills
M exhaust
M brakes
M front lip spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
NOKAOI F30
Private First Class
1
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2012 AW F30 335I
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal, Huntington Beach

iTrader: (0)

Do it because it will give you the joy/satisfaction of having it. Don't do it or anything else for that matter if you intend for it to be an investment.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
Pandarakus
Private
5
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOKAOI F30 View Post
Do it because it will give you the joy/satisfaction of having it. Don't do it or anything else for that matter if you intend for it to be an investment.
I'm thinking to change it on the end of 2014, so I have about 1 and a half year. I regret buying the base line
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 11:29 AM   #9
anelson524
Lieutenant
36
Rep
478
Posts

Drives: '15 AY F80
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Houston, TX

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 Audi SQ5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandarakus
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOKAOI F30 View Post
Do it because it will give you the joy/satisfaction of having it. Don't do it or anything else for that matter if you intend for it to be an investment.
I'm thinking to change it on the end of 2014, so I have about 1 and a half year. I regret buying the base line
Being on BMW forums only makes it worse lol
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #10
NOKAOI F30
Private First Class
1
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2012 AW F30 335I
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal, Huntington Beach

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandarakus View Post
I'm thinking to change it on the end of 2014, so I have about 1 and a half year. I regret buying the base line
Yeah, I know what you mean. I regretted buying the sport-line. Several months later, I changed over to the M-Sport kit.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
NOKAOI F30
Private First Class
1
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2012 AW F30 335I
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal, Huntington Beach

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anelson524 View Post
Being on BMW forums only makes it worse lol
AMEN!
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #12
Alpine F31
Colonel
Alpine F31's Avatar
United_States
359
Rep
2,640
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i 6 speed
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzcrna View Post

I would never put an m body kit with those base [wheels] though.
+1
That would look horrible.
__________________

F22, Estoril/Oyster, N55, 6MT, LSD, DA, Premium, Tech, Moonroof delete, Auto high beams, Heated seats,
Remus exhaust |M Performance wheel |M Performance diffuser| Lightweight splitter| RW Carbon spoiler|APEX ARC-8|T.C.Kline camber plates/springs|Koni struts|
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
402
Rep
2,940
Posts

Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Any money you spend on modifications is money spent to increase your joy during your ownership. You won't see a single dime of it when you go to trade it in. The best chance to get something back would be if you sold it on your own. But, even then, you'd need to find a buyer similar to yourself that is going for the look but willing to overlook everything else that would have come along with an actual M Sport car.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
Pandarakus
Private
5
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine F31 View Post
+1
That would look horrible.
Absolutely. If I change the body kit I will change the wheels as well -_-
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
Pandarakus
Private
5
Rep
97
Posts

Drives: 2012 F30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pasadena, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Any money you spend on modifications is money spent to increase your joy during your ownership. You won't see a single dime of it when you go to trade it in. The best chance to get something back would be if you sold it on your own. But, even then, you'd need to find a buyer similar to yourself that is going for the look but willing to overlook everything else that would have come along with an actual M Sport car.
Thanks for the response. I guess it's better for me to not change anything for now
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 04:11 PM   #16
NOKAOI F30
Private First Class
1
Rep
106
Posts

Drives: 2012 AW F30 335I
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCal, Huntington Beach

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Any money you spend on modifications is money spent to increase your joy during your ownership. You won't see a single dime of it when you go to trade it in. The best chance to get something back would be if you sold it on your own. But, even then, you'd need to find a buyer similar to yourself that is going for the look but willing to overlook everything else that would have come along with an actual M Sport car.
+1, a non enthusiast will not appreciate the some of the details that are put into the car. So, by selling on your own you might be able to find the type of buyer that will appreciate what you have done.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
drob23's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,734
Posts

Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

The dealer will usually never give you back value that you added via modifications. This is why people generally part out mods and sell back stock to get some of the money back. Also consider it will require a body shop to do properly - paint, installation.

The *only* way I think something like this becomes reasonable is after a crash/repair where you could possibly pay the difference to upgrade the body panels.
__________________
UNDRSTR
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #18
ric124
Colonel
ric124's Avatar
Jamaica
214
Rep
2,018
Posts

Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drob23 View Post
The dealer will usually never give you back value that you added via modifications. This is why people generally part out mods and sell back stock to get some of the money back. Also consider it will require a body shop to do properly - paint, installation.

The *only* way I think something like this becomes reasonable is after a crash/repair where you could possibly pay the difference to upgrade the body panels.
Dealer actually told me that if I add original M Performance parts it will increase my trade in value.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 12:37 AM   #19
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
drob23's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,734
Posts

Drives: S4
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Dealer actually told me that if I add original M Performance parts it will increase my trade in value.
What kind of margin we talking? It just seems to me like the BMW CPO buyer is going to be interested in getting into the fanciest car at the cheapest price. IMO if one wants a modded car then always go for the CPO driven the lightest and mod yourself.

What kind of upgrades we talking? Brakes, suspension, ppk? I can see how M performance parts might be attractive to a buyer if it includes painted calipers or CF spoilers. But I'd be surprised if someone was willing to pay 1.5k more for M suspension for example, on a car that presumably came with a sport suspension...

Edit: I guess exhaust might be one mod that could really get your money back...people seem to love some sweet raw N55 music...

In any case that's great that a dealer will be supportive of some modifications!
__________________
UNDRSTR
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 01:18 AM   #20
SJ00
Lieutenant Colonel
SJ00's Avatar
Australia
98
Rep
1,522
Posts

Drives: 328i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brisbane

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Dealer actually told me that if I add original M Performance parts it will increase my trade in value.
lets see what he says when its time to trade
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 05:55 PM   #21
ric124
Colonel
ric124's Avatar
Jamaica
214
Rep
2,018
Posts

Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: South Florida

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by newbmwuser View Post
lets see what he says when its time to trade
Since its designed and developed by BMW for this specific BMW then I don't see it devaluing your car.

So if you install M performance aero kit with M performance brake kit and PPK, it may not increase the value much but it definitely should not be a decrease.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #22
Alpine F31
Colonel
Alpine F31's Avatar
United_States
359
Rep
2,640
Posts

Drives: 2015 M235i 6 speed
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Sherman Oaks, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Since its designed and developed by BMW for this specific BMW then I don't see it devaluing your car.

So if you install M performance aero kit with M performance brake kit and PPK, it may not increase the value much but it definitely should not be a decrease.
Can you imagine..."sir, you've improved the looks and performance of your BMW with OEM, dealer installed parts. I'm afraid we're going to have to offer you less on your trade because of that"
__________________

F22, Estoril/Oyster, N55, 6MT, LSD, DA, Premium, Tech, Moonroof delete, Auto high beams, Heated seats,
Remus exhaust |M Performance wheel |M Performance diffuser| Lightweight splitter| RW Carbon spoiler|APEX ARC-8|T.C.Kline camber plates/springs|Koni struts|
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:43 PM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST