F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Metallic vs Ceramic tint question
MINHS Auto Care Center
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #1
e90im
Brigadier General
e90im's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
3,117
Posts

 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (8)

Metallic vs Ceramic tint question

Just got JB f30 and getting ready to slap some 35% tint on it.

Does metallic tint interfere with radio, BT and keyless entry?
Ceramic is $60 more. Is it worth it?
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:57 AM   #2
Smurfs
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Plano, TX

iTrader: (0)

I was told by the tint place that the Huper Optiks Ceramic interferes with keyless entry. The shop had some issues in the past with this model (f30) & tint. I opted for the metallic and no issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #3
e90im
Brigadier General
e90im's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
3,117
Posts

 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfs View Post
I was told by the tint place that the Huper Optiks Ceramic interferes with keyless entry. The shop had some issues in the past with this model (f30) & tint. I opted for the metallic and no issues.
Awesome. How's bluetooth and radio reception? Do you think that keyless entry range was affected?
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #4
Smurfs
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Plano, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90im View Post
Awesome. How's bluetooth and radio reception? Do you think that keyless entry range was affected?
Everything works flawlessly. Keyless entry range is fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
e90im
Brigadier General
e90im's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
3,117
Posts

 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (8)

Thanks
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #6
kevinp
Private
kevinp's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335 f30, 2010 escalade
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (0)

Actually the other way around, ceramic tint isn't supposed to interfere with comfort access which is why it cost more. I was deciding between huper optik ceramic tint but here in alberta the only place that did it was charging $1400 for all 7 windows. I got metallic film before but the reflection on it was hideous., and interfere with my keyless entry and satellite radio on my other car. So i still opted with ceramic tint just a cheaper version of huper optik but still second best. Formula one ceramic tint pinnacle series 35% all the way around cost about $595. Flawless finish. Only downsize is you cant roll down your windows for 5 days.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #7
roundel335
Brigadier General
roundel335's Avatar
United_States
41
Rep
3,617
Posts

 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I had ceramic tint applied on all windows (except the windshield) and the sunroof, and I have zero problems with radio, satellite, keyless entry, radar detector, and GPS. Ceramic is most definitely worth the extra $60 in my opinion - fades heat much better than the metallic, which has more of a tendency to interfere with RF signals.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 05:41 PM   #8
e90im
Brigadier General
e90im's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
3,117
Posts

 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I had ceramic tint applied on all windows (except the windshield) and the sunroof, and I have zero problems with radio, satellite, keyless entry, radar detector, and GPS. Ceramic is most definitely worth the extra $60 in my opinion - fades heat much better than the metallic, which has more of a tendency to interfere with RF signals.
op here. I did ceramic 30% all around and it looks ok. I wish I had gone a little lighter since car is JB and interior is black too.
Thanks all.
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
Steve33
Captain
Steve33's Avatar
No_Country
12
Rep
760
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Yeah metallic screws with the radio/comfort access/radar detector. Ceramic is best
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #10
Smurfs
New Member
0
Rep
24
Posts

 
Drives: BMW 328i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Plano, TX

iTrader: (0)

I apologize. I looked at my tint receipt and I got Llumar Ceramatrix (which is ceramic). I have Huper Optiks in my other car which doesn't have comfort access. When I went to get the same film (Huper Optiks) for my f30, the lady told me that they were seeing some isseus with this tint and CA. She said the Ceramatrix doesn't cause any issues. And that's what I went with. Sorry for the incorrect info.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
e90im
Brigadier General
e90im's Avatar
United_States
120
Rep
3,117
Posts

 
Drives: f30
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: USA

iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfs View Post
I apologize. I looked at my tint receipt and I got Llumar Ceramatrix (which is ceramic). I have Huper Optiks in my other car which doesn't have comfort access. When I went to get the same film (Huper Optiks) for my f30, the lady told me that they were seeing some isseus with this tint and CA. She said the Ceramatrix doesn't cause any issues. And that's what I went with. Sorry for the incorrect info.
I'm glad I put ceramic against what you said..
__________________
'13 f30 328i | P7ACA | S563A | S4DLA | Jet Black |

f30 e92 tt S5 e92 350z e90
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #12
claykin
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
25
Rep
1,904
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Huper Optik x-treme auto film will not interfere with CA. This film contains no metals. Its nano ceramic.

OP, its more likely that sales person was incorrect or they didn't have any Huper Optik in stock so they made up a story.

That said, for all others searching for films, not all films are created equally. Just because a shop says you're getting ceramic film means little by the definition. Do your research and stick with quality brands and competent installers. There are plenty of film manufacturers importing low quality films from places like China. Not all China film is bad, but most is poorly designed and manufactured.

And, don't take the salespersons word for what brand you're getting. Look at the box and roll of film. For example, all 3M film is stamped with a black 3M logo every couple feet which easily washes off after installed.
__________________
2014 335i MSport AW
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #13
M2-Motoring
Private
0
Rep
79
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Las Vegas, Nevada

iTrader: (0)

ceramic > metallic.

it really helps keep the heat down in the car
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #14
kevinp
Private
kevinp's Avatar
Canada
4
Rep
67
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 335 f30, 2010 escalade
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Huper Optik x-treme auto film will not interfere with CA. This film contains no metals. Its nano ceramic.

OP, its more likely that sales person was incorrect or they didn't have any Huper Optik in stock so they made up a story.

That said, for all others searching for films, not all films are created equally. Just because a shop says you're getting ceramic film means little by the definition. Do your research and stick with quality brands and competent installers. There are plenty of film manufacturers importing low quality films from places like China. Not all China film is bad, but most is poorly designed and manufactured.

And, don't take the salespersons word for what brand you're getting. Look at the box and roll of film. For example, all 3M film is stamped with a black 3M logo every couple feet which easily washes off after installed.
I gotta agree with claykin. Do your research huper optik is nano ceramic, is the shit they used in space shuttles. Why do you think they were charging $1400 for all 7, i was gonna get it only problem with hyper optik is the color choice theres only 3 and it has a brown tint to it. Which is why i didnt choose the route. And went with formula one pinnacle series. Which from my understanding is the second best in the market after Huper optik. I paid half the price of huper optik and is starting to get really hot here in alberta and i get in my car and is just slightly warm but not boiling. Makes a huge diff. And it looks high end. and no glare to it either.

The name says it all... The Pinnacle® Window Film Series is the most state-of-the-art automotive tint available today. You get the same great look all FormulaOne films promise, plus the ultimate in protective performance.

Proprietary non-metallized, nonconductive nano-ceramic technology maximizes heat and ultraviolet rejection, keeping you and your vehicle cool and helping to protect from the damaging effects of the sun. And unlike metallic products, Pinnacle films won’t interfere with your GPS, keyless entry, radar detector, mobile phone, and other radio frequency technology you rely on in your vehicle.
__________________
BMW M perf. gloss black kidney grills, BMW M perf. Carbon f mirror caps, Superbright led front turn signal white plasma projector, Weather tech digital mats front back and trunk, BMW rear entertainment system, 7000k white 18 smd led foot area,M perf. carbon f shift knob, Front lip carbon f, HID fog lights 6000k h8, front and back reflectors to match ,Pair of carbon f side grills, License plate carbon f. cover and error free smd lighting.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2013, 08:24 AM   #15
aspang86
Private
aspang86's Avatar
Canada
1
Rep
61
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 BMW 320i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Mississauga,ON,Canada

iTrader: (0)

I have metallic tints on my f30 and there is zero interference with blue tooth and radio.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST