F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > ASIA > DO NOT GO TO TAT ON TYRES Shop TO GET OR FIX WHEELS
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #1
528imsport
Major
528imsport's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
1,196
Posts

 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

DO NOT GO TO TAT ON TYRES Shop TO GET OR FIX WHEELS

TAT ON TYRES Shop in Kowloon bay near mega box
https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&l...,263.1,,1,2.55

I have been going to Tat On to change and fix tyres for the pass 5 years and last week I change my F10 wheels and tyre which I got from USA which god knows why they charge me $1000 just to change 4 wheels, he say it is this much because it is 20" which is bull shit.
I change my Stepwgn 18" tyres 1 month ago at the same place and change only $400 for the set. just because it is a BMW car dose not mean you charge more.

The main thing was the balanced my wheels, they did not take out the old leads on the wheels before balancing it so I had vibration on all 4 wheel at speed of 90+

this weekend I went to do alignment at Oscar Pro and they did a very good job with the alignment and balance of all wheels and now are all fixed and car drives like its on rails now.

Last edited by 528imsport; 02-05-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #2
hkdude
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 328i M sport Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

ouch!!! obviously they dont want you back
__________________
full M package and M Performance aerokit,sidestripes, MP 405 20inch wheels, Wilson dual exhaust in 304sus with oem valve 5 inch tips, Prokit tint and black roof
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
528imsport
Major
528imsport's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
1,196
Posts

 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
ouch!!! obviously they dont want you back
its not just me its some of my fellow members too.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
hkdude
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 328i M sport Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

so u agreed a price with them for 400 and then they charged you 1000??
i dont get it ?

wow that other shop looks even smaller!!! i will stick to the bigger tyre shops like Empire in SanpoKong with proper equipment and computer printouts.
__________________
full M package and M Performance aerokit,sidestripes, MP 405 20inch wheels, Wilson dual exhaust in 304sus with oem valve 5 inch tips, Prokit tint and black roof
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #5
528imsport
Major
528imsport's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
1,196
Posts

 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
so u agreed a price with them for 400 and then they charged you 1000??
i dont get it ?

wow that other shop looks even smaller!!! i will stick to the bigger tyre shops like Empire in SanpoKong with proper equipment and computer printouts.
That right they change the price right at the last min. They say $400 at 1st before I took the wheels down there and I delivered the rims and tyres to them to be installed ready for my F10 in my 7 seater and drove back home to get the f10 to install the wheels and after install the boss say $1200 at 1st and I say what the hell. He say the price gone up because it is 20" and not 18" which is bullshit because my 2009 E60 had installed 19" there and they also change me $400.

The smaller shop only do alignment and balance they are very pro. they dont sell wheels or tyres unless you what him to get them for you.
Empire in SanpoKong is the best but booking for them is 3 weeks for a Saturday so I can not wait that long and I can not go in weekdays.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:09 PM   #6
hkdude
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 328i M sport Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

well i would have driven the wheels out of there in the 7 seater, plenty of space for 4wheels.
Empire have a good service and the newer equipment, stick with the big boys.
i hope the new wheels are worth all the hassle, share with us the new look of your car, what do they weigh?
by the way i found the 528i was well underpowered, unless u really mash the gas pedal down, maybe due to the extra weight,
i think that the 328i is similar to the 535i
__________________
full M package and M Performance aerokit,sidestripes, MP 405 20inch wheels, Wilson dual exhaust in 304sus with oem valve 5 inch tips, Prokit tint and black roof
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #7
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
by the way i found the 528i was well underpowered, unless u really mash the gas pedal down, maybe due to the extra weight,
i think that the 328i is similar to the 535i
The 528i is not underpowered, it's just the gearbox software & throttle response is softer than the F30.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:44 AM   #8
hkdude
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 328i M sport Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

i tested it and was disappointed, the gearbox ratios are the same,but its much much heavier, thus imo underpowered, reckon the 535i is the minimum for it to be sporty.
but on the plus side its more comfortable!!

btw did anyone in HK fit the gruppe M intake Clarence?
__________________
full M package and M Performance aerokit,sidestripes, MP 405 20inch wheels, Wilson dual exhaust in 304sus with oem valve 5 inch tips, Prokit tint and black roof
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #9
528imsport
Major
528imsport's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
1,196
Posts

 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
well i would have driven the wheels out of there in the 7 seater, plenty of space for 4wheels.
Empire have a good service and the newer equipment, stick with the big boys.
i hope the new wheels are worth all the hassle, share with us the new look of your car, what do they weigh?
by the way i found the 528i was well underpowered, unless u really mash the gas pedal down, maybe due to the extra weight,
i think that the 328i is similar to the 535i
The 528i is not under power at all for HK roads, maybe under power for UK or US roads.
Which 528 did you try? old F10 528 which is a Straight 6 and dose not have Turbo with Max torque is only 310 Nm or new engine 528i which is faster with turbo and Max torque of 350 Nm
The new 528 is also faster than the old E60 530i.

with a ECU mod the 528 can boost up to 535i power.
Engine Performance Upgrade Price under $8k hkd
HP gain = 45 hp
Trq gain = 48 ft-lbs
http://www.bmw-sg.com/bmw-general/ha...ne/2012/06/29/

The 535 is fast but has extra weight and at a extra price of about $180k hkd which I think not worth. Also 535i can not get M sport

Last edited by 528imsport; 02-05-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:32 AM   #10
528imsport
Major
528imsport's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
1,196
Posts

 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
i tested it and was disappointed, the gearbox ratios are the same,but its much much heavier, thus imo underpowered, reckon the 535i is the minimum for it to be sporty.
but on the plus side its more comfortable!!

btw did anyone in HK fit the gruppe M intake Clarence?
There is 1 more mod I going to do which is the M5 sway bar and ppl in US has already say it is very close to a F30 after installing this for the handling. Still got 2 more months to wait till it arrive..
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
hkdude
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 328i M sport Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

of course i tried the 2013 model 528i, and we are comparing stock cars here
328i v 528i, no need to compare ecu mods, because the basic 328i is faster and sportier, its a fact of physics.
unless u get the 550 or M5 its still a big big car for a 2L engine.
likewise you can't compare a 335i with a 328i.......
The latest Edmunds track test as posted somewhere on the forum had the 328i Sport at abt 5.6secs 0-100.
and you can spec the 535i as M sport, just that there's no discount!
__________________
full M package and M Performance aerokit,sidestripes, MP 405 20inch wheels, Wilson dual exhaust in 304sus with oem valve 5 inch tips, Prokit tint and black roof
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:30 PM   #12
528imsport
Major
528imsport's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
1,196
Posts

 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
of course i tried the 2013 model 528i, and we are comparing stock cars here
328i v 528i, no need to compare ecu mods, because the basic 328i is faster and sportier, its a fact of physics.
unless u get the 550 or M5 its still a big big car for a 2L engine.
likewise you can't compare a 335i with a 328i.......
The latest Edmunds track test as posted somewhere on the forum had the 328i Sport at abt 5.6secs 0-100.
and you can spec the 535i as M sport, just that there's no discount!
I agree the E60 drives much better than the F10 also
F10 is no sports car at all no matter what engine way too big.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 12:00 AM   #13
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
and you can spec the 535i as M sport, just that there's no discount!
For a period of time between May 2012 to August 2012 the 535i M-sport was available as a separate model, & hence it's cheaper than other models where u can only spec M-sport package as an option package.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 12:30 AM   #14
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_528i View Post
The 528i is not under power at all for HK roads, maybe under power for UK or US roads.
Which 528 did you try? old F10 528 which is a Straight 6 and dose not have Turbo with Max torque is only 310 Nm or new engine 528i which is faster with turbo and Max torque of 350 Nm
The new 528 is also faster than the old E60 530i.

The 535 is fast but has extra weight and at a extra price of about $180k hkd which I think not worth. Also 535i can not get M sport
Both C&D & R&T tested the 528i N20 & declared it not being underpowered at all. The only place where it can be considered as underpowered is at Germany, but that's only a relative as it's still faster than the F10 528i/530i N53.
0-60mph in 5.9s & 1/4 mile in 14.5s is not slow on it's own. For HK roads it's better than the 535i cos it's much lighter at the front, but having said that the E60 is much sharper than the F10 as it weighs around 100kgs lighter like-for-like.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 12:59 AM   #15
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
i tested it and was disappointed, the gearbox ratios are the same,but its much much heavier, thus imo underpowered, reckon the 535i is the minimum for it to be sporty.
but on the plus side its more comfortable!!

btw did anyone in HK fit the gruppe M intake Clarence?
I used my method of testing (i.e. accelerating from very slow speed up the slope between Lai Tak Tsuen & Cloudview Rd roundabout, trying to find the highest gear the engine will pull smoothly & the gearbox won't change down) & the 528i can pull cleanly in 6th gear.

Don't think anyone fit the Gruppe M intake yet as it's very expensive. It's likely u won't gain anything at all cos the stock intake is very well designed.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 10:20 AM   #16
hkdude
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 328i M sport Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

of course you can get it as M sport.

all those figures are all over the board, Edmunds had the 328i as 5.6 secs.......
bhp/mt is 172 v 144, that in real life makes a huge difference, we're not talking 10% there now.
have U ever tried driving the 528i on HK island up and down the hills??
then u will know what i mean, its a nice car but HUGE.
As for R&T having the exact same figs with a heavier car with the same engine and gear ratios......... sounds weird.
i mean its ok to read magazines, but common sense says a 135i will always be faster than a 335i..............

Gruppe M - i'm going for the sound bro, and am 99% tempted,
i'm still waitin for my M performance exhaust to arrive , has taken 2months!

got my car and put the rear spoiler on last night
Attached Images
 
__________________
full M package and M Performance aerokit,sidestripes, MP 405 20inch wheels, Wilson dual exhaust in 304sus with oem valve 5 inch tips, Prokit tint and black roof
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
hkdude
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 328i M sport Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

man they both have the same gearboxes and ratios and one is quite a bit heavier,you sure you weren't dreamin??

i tested the 528i up Western St............
i do respect opinions, hey this is supposed to be a forum to enjoy ourselves but if you want to say that its not underpowered no problems,great but now you say it feels "faster" than a 328i than i dont think its to got to do with physics at all.
its just like when people compare the 335i to the 328i, of course the 335i is much faster and of course a 535i will spank the 528i, thats the truth
__________________
full M package and M Performance aerokit,sidestripes, MP 405 20inch wheels, Wilson dual exhaust in 304sus with oem valve 5 inch tips, Prokit tint and black roof
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #18
528imsport
Major
528imsport's Avatar
United Kingdom
15
Rep
1,196
Posts

 
Drives: Msport
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: uk

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
of course you can get it as M sport.

all those figures are all over the board, Edmunds had the 328i as 5.6 secs.......
bhp/mt is 172 v 144, that in real life makes a huge difference, we're not talking 10% there now.
have U ever tried driving the 528i on HK island up and down the hills??
then u will know what i mean, its a nice car but HUGE.
As for R&T having the exact same figs with a heavier car with the same engine and gear ratios......... sounds weird.
i mean its ok to read magazines, but common sense says a 135i will always be faster than a 335i..............

Gruppe M - i'm going for the sound bro, and am 99% tempted,
i'm still waitin for my M performance exhaust to arrive , has taken 2months!

got my car and put the rear spoiler on last night
I drive the 528i N20 engine and it is much faster than old E60 530i and the old F10 528i engine but like you say it is way to big to throw around corners. My old e60 is OK a bit smaller, I tested all at TMS and non of them is underpower at all.
The 3er is the king of the road and nothing can beat it no matter which engine.
I never understand why ppl always compare small cars to big cars. It like saying which is better of M3 over M5 lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:01 AM   #19
j.c
Private First Class
Hong Kong
7
Rep
106
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
of course you can get it as M sport.

all those figures are all over the board, Edmunds had the 328i as 5.6 secs.......
bhp/mt is 172 v 144, that in real life makes a huge difference, we're not talking 10% there now.
have U ever tried driving the 528i on HK island up and down the hills??
then u will know what i mean, its a nice car but HUGE.
As for R&T having the exact same figs with a heavier car with the same engine and gear ratios......... sounds weird.
i mean its ok to read magazines, but common sense says a 135i will always be faster than a 335i..............

Gruppe M - i'm going for the sound bro, and am 99% tempted,
i'm still waitin for my M performance exhaust to arrive , has taken 2months!

got my car and put the rear spoiler on last night
the sound of f30 gruppe m is not loud. u might disappointed with it
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 04:09 AM   #20
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
man they both have the same gearboxes and ratios and one is quite a bit heavier,you sure you weren't dreamin??

i tested the 528i up Western St............
i do respect opinions, hey this is supposed to be a forum to enjoy ourselves but if you want to say that its not underpowered no problems,great but now you say it feels "faster" than a 328i than i dont think its to got to do with physics at all.
its just like when people compare the 335i to the 328i, of course the 335i is much faster and of course a 535i will spank the 528i, thats the truth
Hope u're not talking abt me cos I never said the 528i feels faster than the 328i (if that's the case then I would have bought the 528i M-sport instead of being the owner of one of the 1st 328i M-sport registered in HK).
Yes, both 328i & 528i have the same gear ratios but the 528i have a slightly lower final drive ratio (3.231 vs 3.154). Wht's different is the software of the drivetrain - the 528i have much softer response when compared to the 328i. For example, if u accelerate from around 80km/h the gearbox on the 528i doesn't kickdown straightaway, whereas the it responds instantaneously on the 328i. As both cars' gearboxes have learning function, I have no idea how those demo cars were driven before I took the wheel (i.e. there's a big difference if all the previous ppl testing the cars were driving like old ladies vs everyone was caning it), & hence whether it's a factor which will cloud the real performance of the cars. That's why the only way to test it fairly is to use manual mode & hold it in a high gear going up a steep slope so that the gearbox response is taken out of the equation.
Btw it took me 4 test drives for the F10 (both 528i & 535i) & 2 for the F30 (both 335i & 328i) before I made up my mind (that's after I've already paid the deposit). At the end I went for the 328i even tho the price difference between it & the 528i at that time was only around $30k (that was before the 328i had EFV rebate in the middle of last yr), cos I know I would have no regrets re performance if I get the 328i.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 04:25 AM   #21
clarence
Lieutenant Colonel
23
Rep
1,544
Posts

 
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkdude View Post
As for R&T having the exact same figs with a heavier car with the same engine and gear ratios......... sounds weird.
i mean its ok to read magazines, but common sense says a 135i will always be faster than a 335i..............
The figures for C&D are different between both cars. C&D clocked the 328i at 5.6s for 0-60 (5.9s for the 528i) & qtr mile at 14.2s (14.5s for 528i).
Common sense does say the 135i (E82) being faster than the 335i (E90/92), but the difference is not huge cos the unladen weight of the 135i is only 70kgs less than the 335i. If u compare the E82 135i with F30 335i then the 335i will beat it cos the weight difference is now only 50kgs but the F30 have 2 extra gears.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
hkdude
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
42
Posts

 
Drives: 328i M sport Alpine White
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Hong Kong

iTrader: (0)

if it doesn't feel faster than its slower, and slower is as I said underpowered,
the F10 is the perfect sports saloon as a 535i and up.
The E60 was out nearly 10 years ago, things moved up two clicks thanks to Audi giving strong competition.

I use to have a E60 530i pre lci with gruppe m and it sounded ok, I just need a lil bit more, I also run a R230 Sl63+eisenmann+rentech and maybe that intake sound has got me addicted to the "roar".
what I can say is my little 328i has a better sound in sport than the test car, the supposed "ticking" sound is not there
did bmw change something as it was a highly criticized area of the N20?
Man I paid 400 bucks to have my 20' wheels changed from the standard M400 18inch,no probs there with overcharging, only if they had pointed a gun to my head would I pay 1000!!! man for 1000 I would F them and get a van to take the wheels back to my parking lot+ buy a jack and do it at home, its not that hard. Damn if I had fitted 21inch at that place what would they charge me 2000???

I have to report that the 20inch MP wheels have a good ride, and handle extremely well, well pleased, was a good choice Versus some aftermarket as it seems MP really made and tested the wheel exclusively for this car.

I have seen several MP clad 328i this weekend, one Alpine white at LKF and a mean looking black one with white stripes!
__________________
full M package and M Performance aerokit,sidestripes, MP 405 20inch wheels, Wilson dual exhaust in 304sus with oem valve 5 inch tips, Prokit tint and black roof
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:34 PM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST