F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Need some audio tech advises!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-31-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
m2michael23
Lieutenant
14
Rep
514
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tempe, AZ

iTrader: (1)

Need some audio tech advises!

For f30s don't have HK, what do we do that can make the sound better? subwoofers? amplifiers or speakers?

i have 335i m-sport.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 12:55 AM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
VP Electricity's Avatar
United_States
82
Rep
3,182
Posts

Drives: E91 XDrive
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: portland oregon

iTrader: (3)

You really need to upgrade the amp and the speakers.

We are close to our F30 HiFi 3-way and 4-way kits...shoot me an email!
__________________
Please vote for us as one of the Top 12 mobile electronics retailers of the year in North America!
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #3
m2michael23
Lieutenant
14
Rep
514
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tempe, AZ

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
You really need to upgrade the amp and the speakers.

We are close to our F30 HiFi 3-way and 4-way kits...shoot me an email!
can you explain a little bit? i don't much info for audio.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #4
hanizh
Private First Class
6
Rep
150
Posts

Drives: BMW F30 316i Luxuy line-White
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Middle East

iTrader: (0)

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846897
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
Technic
Lieutenant General
Technic's Avatar
United_States
402
Rep
12,061
Posts

Drives: 2015 320i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

iTrader: (18)

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2michael23 View Post
For f30s don't have HK, what do we do that can make the sound better? subwoofers? amplifiers or speakers?

i have 335i m-sport.
Replace the OEM amp with either a XD600/6 (no center channel) or a JBL MS-8 DSP/8-channel amp directly. Then decide if you want to replace speakers as well.
__________________
-2015 F30 320i, Imperial/Oyster, 8AT, ED
-2012 E92 M3 Jerez Black/Rust Brown, M-DCT, ED: Gone
-2008 E90 M3 Melbourne Red/Bamboo, 6MT: Gone
-2007 MK5 GTI United Grey/Grey, DSG: Gone
-2004 E46 M3 Carbon Black/Cinnamon, 6MT: Gone
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
slmdgee
Usofstance
United_States
29
Rep
682
Posts

Drives: 328I 6SPD
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Long Island

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Replace the OEM amp with either a XD600/6 (no center channel) or a JBL MS-8 DSP/8-channel amp directly. Then decide if you want to replace speakers as well.

Whats a better amp?
__________________
2013 328i 6MT Bagged

IG Stu_UnitedStatesOfStance
United States Of Stance
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
TheCanadianStig
New Member
0
Rep
9
Posts

Drives: 2013 BMW 320i Xdrive
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Hey guys,

So I have a 2013 320i xdrive with premium and lighting package and what I believe is a 6nh option audio setup. Na 6 speaker setup. I can't find the amp ! I undid every part in the trunk and found the fuse box in the wheel well and what seems to be a control module on the inside right rear quarter panel...Help !

Also what are the stock dimensions of the 4 main speakers ? I want to replace but want to keep it as close to stock as possible.

Cheers !
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 10:01 PM   #8
Anth-328iMSport
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: BMW 328i M-Sport (F30)
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Melbourne

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Replace the OEM amp with either a XD600/6 (no center channel) or a JBL MS-8 DSP/8-channel amp directly. Then decide if you want to replace speakers as well.
Hi Technic, I have been told I would need a processor like an Audison bit one or ten, if I want to change the amp. Would this provide much benefit over just changing the amp alone?

Thanks
Anthony
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 11:53 PM   #9
Dan_335i
Captain
31
Rep
934
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

is the f30 without HK that bad?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 01:02 AM   #10
1lyfe
Major
1lyfe's Avatar
Canada
53
Rep
1,310
Posts

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
is the f30 without HK that bad?
i have base 4 speaker in my 328...i've always had the base speaker setup in my BMW's (E46 and 2 E90s) and those came with fairly decent speakers. if i knew the base speakers were this bad i wouldve paid for an upgrade

im not an audiophiliac, i can get by with average speaker quality but my base sound system in my F30 is absolute garbage....
i can buy 30 dollar desktop speakers and they are better than the ones i have in my car.

my 9 year old toyota highlander (with base speakers) sound like THX certified speakers compared to the ones i have in the 328...
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 02:51 AM   #11
Dan_335i
Captain
31
Rep
934
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
i have base 4 speaker in my 328...i've always had the base speaker setup in my BMW's (E46 and 2 E90s) and those came with fairly decent speakers. if i knew the base speakers were this bad i wouldve paid for an upgrade

im not an audiophiliac, i can get by with average speaker quality but my base sound system in my F30 is absolute garbage....
i can buy 30 dollar desktop speakers and they are better than the ones i have in my car.

my 9 year old toyota highlander (with base speakers) sound like THX certified speakers compared to the ones i have in the 328...
only 4 speakers? thats garbage! is urs a regular 328i or 328i classic?
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 03:16 AM   #12
tony20009
Major General
tony20009's Avatar
United_States
399
Rep
5,426
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
i have base 4 speaker in my 328...i've always had the base speaker setup in my BMW's (E46 and 2 E90s) and those came with fairly decent speakers. if i knew the base speakers were this bad i wouldve paid for an upgrade

im not an audiophiliac, i can get by with average speaker quality but my base sound system in my F30 is absolute garbage....
i can buy 30 dollar desktop speakers and they are better than the ones i have in my car.

my 9 year old toyota highlander (with base speakers) sound like THX certified speakers compared to the ones i have in the 328...
Yes, it was with the E46 that BMW started putting reasonable (for most folks) sound systems in the 3er. The ones in the earlier models were pathetic at best and had to be replaced if you listened to anything other than news/talk radio.

I haven't checked it out in the F30, but in the E9x base sound system, for some reason one gets greater volume when playing iPod music than when playing the radio. Not sure if that's also true for CDs. Someone here may have observed the differences and be able to comment.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #13
1lyfe
Major
1lyfe's Avatar
Canada
53
Rep
1,310
Posts

Drives: AW F30 328i Xdrive
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_335i View Post
only 4 speakers? thats garbage! is urs a regular 328i or 328i classic?
mines a classic...all i bought in options was lighting and premium pack + heated steering wheel

i never tested out the classic line cause the dealer didnt have it in stock at the time, i tested out the 328i modern line and ASSUMED the speakers were the same since i didnt see harmond kardon or logic 7 logos...i was terribly wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Yes, it was with the E46 that BMW started putting reasonable (for most folks) sound systems in the 3er. The ones in the earlier models were pathetic at best and had to be replaced if you listened to anything other than news/talk radio.

I haven't checked it out in the F30, but in the E9x base sound system, for some reason one gets greater volume when playing iPod music than when playing the radio. Not sure if that's also true for CDs. Someone here may have observed the differences and be able to comment.
you can adjust the volume for aux devices. there's a setting somewhere.
for me the USB audio is much quieter than the radio. sometimes when i make the switch i scare myself cause of the instant volume jump
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
Dan_335i
Captain
31
Rep
934
Posts

Drives: 2014 335i EBII MSport
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1lyfe View Post
mines a classic...all i bought in options was lighting and premium pack + heated steering wheel

i never tested out the classic line cause the dealer didnt have it in stock at the time, i tested out the 328i modern line and ASSUMED the speakers were the same since i didnt see harmond kardon or logic 7 logos...i was terribly wrong



you can adjust the volume for aux devices. there's a setting somewhere.
for me the USB audio is much quieter than the radio. sometimes when i make the switch i scare myself cause of the instant volume jump
no wonder its only 4 speakers its classic. if it was 4 speakers base for a 328i thats a just shit.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:16 AM.




f30post
f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST