F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Painted alloys and the inside hub-face bit
GetBMWParts

11-19-2013, 06:34 AM   #1
PurpleTT
Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Drives: 335d F30 MSport

Painted alloys and the inside hub-face bit

This is one for you guys that have had your alloys (winters or otherwise) painted.

Did the paint cover the machined surface that mates with the hub, or was it masked off?

I'm still deciding whether to have my winter set done (powder coated probably) and I'm a bit worried about the way this critical surface is treated. The sand blasting that's part of the preparation could be an issue too.

Surely this area needs to remain untouched? Thoughts?
      11-19-2013, 06:43 AM   #2
-AndyH-
Lieutenant
Czech_Republic

Drives: F31 330d X-Drive M-Sport

No...that surface is never painted. Most decent refurbers actually use that part of the alloy to grip it when painting etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 07:15 AM   #3
PurpleTT
Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Makes sense, that's what I would expect.

But the youtube vids I've seen of powder coating show the wheels suspended with a bit of wire wrapped arond the circumference of the wheel, because this area is under the tyre. Can't say any vids I've watched show any masking at all though, so there must be contact with the face by powder floating around.
      11-19-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
matk
Lieutenant

Drives: 330d F31

Mine were painted, I dont see the issue to be honest it is only a thin layer of paint. When the wheels are originally made they are not left unpainted. The colour is applied to the mating flange of the hub! If you get them powder coated they will strip them first anyway mate. But I have had both methods on 3 different sets of wheel with no issue. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Brigadier General

Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by matk View Post
Mine were painted, I dont see the issue to be honest it is only a thin layer of paint. When the wheels are originally made they are not left unpainted. The colour is applied to the mating flange of the hub! If you get them powder coated they will strip them first anyway mate. But I have had both methods on 3 different sets of wheel with no issue. Hope this helps.
Not on either of my OEM wheel sets. The mating face is machined finished. Absolutely sure of this as I've just come in from polishing my summer wheel set and used the 'cleaned' machined face to felt tip mark the wheel positions.

Unless you are sure of the paint thickness, it one area for wheel run-out to creep into the tolerance stack.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #6
PurpleTT
Lieutenant
United Kingdom

I think my worry is either

a) if the paint isn't perfectly flat and parallel to the surface it could very very slightly affect the wheel's tracking as Pete says or

b) the paint pressed up tight against the hub will be subjected to repeated varying forces of compression all the time. This could progressively wear it into a powder and lead to the wheel loosening.

But MatK yes I'm sure in practice it's not a massive issue, but whoever I get to do mine will be told to ensure that face is untouched, just to be sure.
      11-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #7
matk
Lieutenant

Drives: 330d F31

Fair enough guys you have me questioning if my oems were or not i know the winters i have fitted at the mo have the mating face painted but now you come to mention it maybe I was lucky and there is a flat layer on them as i have no vibrations. I will carry out a check tq on the wheels to make sure they do not work there way loose aswell. Some valid points that have got me thinking! Cheers guys
Appreciate 0