F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Difference between "Adaptive Light Control" & "Xenon Adaptive Headlights"?
GetBMWParts

12-28-2013, 09:50 PM   #1
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Garage List
Difference between "Adaptive Light Control" & "Xenon Adaptive Headlights"?

Both the Xenon Adaptive Headlight description and the Adaptive Light Control description can be accessed under the Lighting Package when you configure your F30. I can't reproduce the wording here because they are just pop-ups when you click on the term. But they both seem to say the same thing: the headlights will pivot as you reach a curve so that the road stays illuminated throughout the curvature. (The Xenon Adaptive also has a self-leveling function as well.)

What's the story here? Is BMW selling/telling you the same thing twice in the same package? It sounds like you get the adaptive light control function as part of getting xenon headlights--it's not another feature above and beyond getting the xenons.
      12-29-2013, 05:54 AM   #2
JaakkoA
Finland
Rep
Drives: German

Ok. You have the Xenon lights, which dont't follow steering. Then you can ad Adaptive headlights, which means pivoting headlights according to steering angle. Then you can add Headlight assistant, which you propably mean by that adaptive light control.

That adaptive light control (ALC) is very cool and practical feature. You can just leave your high beams on automatic and stop worrying. When car is coming straight towards you, ALC moves left beam left and right beam right, so there is a "black box" where the other car is. When the car comes closer, that side hogh beam shuts down and after passing both turn forward. This happens also, when you follow someone. Offcourse ALC switches on low beam, when there are streetlights. Works just as well you could hope!

Self-levelling should come with every version off Xenon lights. At least in Finland, self-levelling is oblicatory by law when you have Xenons..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 08:15 AM   #3
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank you! So do xenon headlights come with the base package or with one of the lines?

Do you add xenon headlights, adaptive (pivoting) headlights, and Adaptive Light Control when you add the Lighting Package?
      12-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #4
manicottiK
Private
Rep
Drives: 530i (2017 G30)

Adaptive Light Control isn't available in the U.S. The swiveling feature and the auto-on/off is available, but the more advanced feature described by JaakkoA isn't available here because our federal lighting laws haven't been sufficiently updated to address newer technologies. (This is, apparently, an ongoing battle between the care makers and the federal government.)
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #5
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaakkoA View Post
That adaptive light control (ALC) is very cool and practical feature. You can just leave your high beams on automatic and stop worrying. When car is coming straight towards you, ALC moves left beam left and right beam right, so there is a "black box" where the other car is. When the car comes closer, that side hogh beam shuts down and after passing both turn forward. This happens also, when you follow someone. Offcourse ALC switches on low beam, when there are streetlights. Works just as well you could hope!
It's been mentioned in other threads that they don't get this over in the US - the full beams just automatically switch completely on, or completely off. Apparently it's something to do with US law.

Just thought I should mention this as it looks like Steve is from the US, so wouldn't want him to be disappointed!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
It's been mentioned in other threads that they don't get this over in the US - the full beams just automatically switch completely on, or completely off. Apparently it's something to do with US law.

Just thought I should mention this as it looks like Steve is from the US, so wouldn't want him to be disappointed!
This. I ordered it on mine thinking I had the full package, but after doing more reading saw it just turned them on and off. Pretty disappointing for me, and since most of the roads here are well lit or have lots of traffic, mine usually stay off. It's still a nice function when I use it though, and if you drive on a lot of dark roads I would still recommend it.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2013, 06:55 PM   #7
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 335i M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
This. I ordered it on mine thinking I had the full package, but after doing more reading saw it just turned them on and off. Pretty disappointing for me, and since most of the roads here are well lit or have lots of traffic, mine usually stay off. It's still a nice function when I use it though, and if you drive on a lot of dark roads I would still recommend it.
Yeah it was disappointing to see the cool videos on the technology and find out after I get it, we Yanks getting ripped off.

Such backwards laws sometimes.
      12-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Wow, good thing I asked. I'm having second thoughts about getting the lighting package now. So what you get is xenon bulbs instead of halogen and automatic on/off?
      12-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #9
Rick4345
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 WRX World Rally Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehecht View Post
Wow, good thing I asked. I'm having second thoughts about getting the lighting package now. So what you get is xenon bulbs instead of halogen and automatic on/off?
I would still get the lighting package. I have owned two BMW's. One with halogen and one with xenons. Big difference in the two in my opinion. I think the brights are worth the price alone.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick4345 View Post
I would still get the lighting package. I have owned two BMW's. One with halogen and one with xenons. Big difference in the two in my opinion. I think the brights are worth the price alone.
True, the Xenons are awesome.
      12-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
rbe
Rep
Drives: BMW F30, Corvette C5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicottiK View Post
Adaptive Light Control isn't available in the U.S. The swiveling feature and the auto-on/off is available, but the more advanced feature described by JaakkoA isn't available here because our federal lighting laws haven't been sufficiently updated to address newer technologies. (This is, apparently, an ongoing battle between the care makers and the federal government.)
Wrong my 2012 328i came with 524 Adaptive Light Control and 5AC High Beam Assist.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #12
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbe View Post
Wrong my 2012 328i came with 524 Adaptive Light Control and 5AC High Beam Assist.
Well, alright! :

Please tell us the magic words.
      12-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #13
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicottiK View Post
OK, one more time: What's the difference between "the swiveling feature" and Adaptive Light Control? And you might as well tell me how the self-leveling feature fits in. Which of these comes as part of the base package and which are only in the Lighting Package in NA?
      12-30-2013, 07:50 PM   #14
DVC
Diligentia Vis Celeritas
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbe View Post
Manicotti is correct; whether or not BMW still calls it Adaptive Light Control, what we get does not include the advanced features JaakkoA describes above.

The swiveling and high beam auto on/off is still pretty cool though...and xenons are a must!
      12-30-2013, 09:36 PM   #15
snowghost
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVC View Post
Manicotti is correct; whether or not BMW still calls it Adaptive Light Control, what we get does not include the advanced features JaakkoA describes above.

The swiveling and high beam auto on/off is still pretty cool though...and xenons are a must!
It would have been cool if we got the Full Monty, but it is what it is. And what it is here is still pretty okay. Xenons are a must.
      12-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #16
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

I'm confused.

I have adaptive xenons.
When I turn they do too.

I have auto headlight high beams.

So....I'm also in the US.

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
I'm confused.

I have adaptive xenons.
When I turn they do too.

What do you mean by "auto headlight high beams"? Do you mean pivoting headlights as you turn? Do you mean on/off or self-leveling? This is what comes with the NA Lighting Package. Or do you mean "the black box" as described by JaakkoA which is offered only on the other side of the pond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaakkoA
You can just leave your high beams on automatic and stop worrying. When car is coming straight towards you, ALC moves left beam left and right beam right, so there is a "black box" where the other car is. When the car comes closer, that side high beam shuts down and after passing both turn forward. This happens also, when you follow someone. Offcourse ALC switches on low beam, when there are streetlights. Works just as well you could hope!
Per usual, BMW nomenclature is confusing things.
      12-31-2013, 01:27 AM   #18
sn3rd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 335i

In South Africa, we get the Xenon lights that includes auto levelling. It's pretty much a calibration.

Then we can option adaptive headlights, which gives you the headlight swivel when turning. According to the tutorial vid in the iDrive menu, it also includes the levelling of lights over hills and valleys.

Then we can option high beam assist, which gives the car the ability to automatically raise or dip the lights (each side independently) based on traffic conditions, using a small camera built into the front-facing part of the rear-view mirror.

Interestingly, you can option these separately or as part of the Driving Lights Package. The package contains all of them, but is cheaper than adaptive on its own. The dealer was flabbergasted when I pointed this out.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 06:18 AM   #19
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Quote:
I'm confused.

I have adaptive xenons.
When I turn they do too.

Adaptive xenons, where the headlights turn when you turn the wheel, aren't what we're talking about. That's always been available in the US and is different to auto high-beam.

Noone's saying auto high-beam isn't available in the US, just that the system you get isn't as sophisticated as the system in Europe & elsewhere. Read my post #5 again complete with the post I quoted, it should make sense then.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 10:57 AM   #20
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor
Quote:
I'm confused.

I have adaptive xenons.
When I turn they do too.

Adaptive xenons, where the headlights turn when you turn the wheel, aren't what we're talking about. That's always been available in the US and is different to auto high-beam.

Noone's saying auto high-beam isn't available in the US, just that the system you get isn't as sophisticated as the system in Europe & elsewhere. Read my post #5 again complete with the post I quoted, it should make sense then.
Yeah my auto high doesn't have that, understood.
I though the "box" only appeared with LEDs?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #21
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive Sport Line

Way too much confusion in this thread, and seems like people are giving multiple labels to the same feature.
On 335 US models:
Adaptive lights (w/ xenons) = lights turn with the steering wheel
Auto high beam = turns on high beam automatically based on if there are oncoming cars or not.
      12-31-2013, 02:46 PM   #22
stevehecht
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34.50 View Post
Way too much confusion in this thread, and seems like people are giving multiple labels to the same feature.
On 335 US models:
Adaptive lights (w/ xenons) = lights turn with the steering wheel
Auto high beam = turns on high beam automatically based on if there are oncoming cars or not.
Way too much confusion is correct. Let's see if we can go a bit further:

Adaptive lights w/xenons = lights turn with the steering wheel = pivoting headlights with steering angle. Correct?

Auto high beam = turns on high beam automatically based on if there are oncoming cars or not -- does NOT equal the automatic "black box" adjustments that shift headlights lights away from oncoming traffic that JaakkoA describes, being offered in Europe but not here. Correct?

The "black box" option is an enhancement of our auto high beam that is not available here because of current regulations. Correct?

Self-leveling headlights = comes standard with xenons in the USA. Correct?