F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > iPhone or Android - to use with f80/82

02-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #1
filip75
Facetious

Drives: '15 AW M4

iPhone or Android - to use with f80/82

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I am planning on picking up the Galaxy S5 when it comes out, but I started reading about the compatibility of Androids with BMW Connected, and it sounds like the system is very Apple biased ( http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918698 )

My old setup in the e46 was: iPod in the glove box, via USB, and the Android via Bluetooth for phone calls. If I went to the gym, I just unplugged the fully charged iPod and used it. Very convenient.

In the f80/82 we have a chance to use the apps, so the choice becomes harder. If I want to use the apps, I will need to keep the phone plugged in. That serves as a music server, app connection, and a phone. Sounds like the android does not work very well with the system. Do I need to switch to an iPhone and ditch the iPod in order to enjoy all of the perks of our new cars?

I just hate being tied down to the Apple iStore for everything. Android is such a better platform
      02-01-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
Tonymiabmw
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: YMB F80 CCBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip75
I am planning on picking up the Galaxy S5 when it comes out, but I started reading about the compatibility of Androids with BMW Connected, and it sounds like the system is very Apple biased ( http://<a href="http://www.f30post.c...p?t=918698</a> )

My old setup in the e46 was: iPod in the glove box, via USB, and the Android via Bluetooth for phone calls. If I went to the gym, I just unplugged the fully charged iPod and used it. Very convenient.

In the f80/82 we have a chance to use the apps, so the choice becomes harder. If I want to use the apps, I will need to keep the phone plugged in. That serves as a music server, app connection, and a phone. Sounds like the android does not work very well with the system. Do I need to switch to an iPhone and ditch the iPod in order to enjoy all of the perks of our new cars?

I just hate being tied down to the Apple iStore for everything. Android is such a better platform
Idk I love android too, but I love my jailbroken Iphone way more. Get a 5s before they upgrade to 7.1 and you can jailbreak before you can't anymore!
      02-01-2014, 06:48 PM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Banned

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

IPhone! The car is built around iPhone integration. I had Android phones before I purchased an iPhone 5, and I was unable to utilize certain features until I got the iPhone.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
      02-02-2014, 12:48 AM   #4
ZEEM3R
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 BMW M3

I went from iPhone to Galaxy S4. While the UI of the iPhone is much much better, when the iPhone 5S came, I still found it hard to switch back. The S4 has blown me away. But for your car, unfortunately, Androids suck ass with regards to compatibility.
2013 M3 / CF Kidney Grills / CF Side Reflectors / LUX V4 LEDs / Alpine Feature Coding / CF Rear Spoiler / Satin Black OEM ZCP Rims / Competition Package / CF Roof Vinyl / M Courtesy Light / Active Autowerke Drop In Filter / CF Black Emblems / CF Vent Covers / M Kidney Stripes / BPM Stage 2 Dev Tune / Fabspeed X Pipe / Macht Schnell Test Pipes / DINAN DCT Tune
ZEEM3R is offline   United_States
      02-02-2014, 05:57 AM   #5
filip75
Facetious

Drives: '15 AW M4

This is crazy that BMW is makes you switch brands. iPhone is so simplistic, and I will lose most of my functions with it.

Whyyyyy BMW?
      02-02-2014, 01:58 PM   #6
mister2d
Private First Class

Drives: E39 M5, 981S

Quote:
Originally Posted by filip75 View Post
I am planning on picking up the Galaxy S5 when it comes out, but I started reading about the compatibility of Androids with BMW Connected, and it sounds like the system is very Apple biased ( http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918698 )

You can work around this by getting a tethering app or plan for your android phone and link your iPod through your Galaxy. This is how I get around the Apple jail.
      02-02-2014, 07:26 PM   #7
Koldun
Banned

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

What "perks" are you looking for/talking about?

Pandora works with either. Until the bigger iPhones come out, they simply can't stand up to Samsung's offerings.
      02-02-2014, 11:24 PM   #8
mister2d
Private First Class

Drives: E39 M5, 981S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koldun View Post
What "perks" are you looking for/talking about?

Pandora works with either. Until the bigger iPhones come out, they simply can't stand up to Samsung's offerings.
This thread is about the in-car connectivity with your mobile device. Something Apple has had a stranglehold on for too long.