F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Model Upgrades and New Diesel Engines from Spring 2014
proTUNING Freaks

01-22-2014, 10:32 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Post BMW Model Upgrades and New Diesel Engines from Spring 2014

BIMMERPOST NEWS
New BMW Model Upgrades and Diesel Engines from Spring 2014
COMMENTS

Note: This is a global press release (not applicable to all markets).

January 22, 2014

Munich. From the spring of 2014, the pleasure of driving can be experienced in a whole new dimension. BMW is extending its range of engines for the latest additions to the model portfolio and is presenting at the same time four further models equipped with BMW xDrive. The intelligent four-wheel drive system, for example, will be available for the first time in the BMW 4 Series Convertible. In addition, an extensive BMW Individual programme will be on offer for the BMW 4 Series from the spring of 2014.

Further innovative options will be introduced to enhance both safety and comfort. From the spring of 2014, all BMW models except for the BMW X6 will feature as standard a tyre pressure indicator which monitors the pressure in each individual tyre. The latest generation of the optional Radio Professional and the navigation system Business excels through enhanced functionality facilitating, amongst other things, Audio Streaming and the use of numerous BMW ConnectedDrive services. During the course of 2014, both newly revised options will also be introduced to the BMW 1 Series, the BMW 2 Series and the BMW 5 Series and will then be available for all models except for the BMW X6. From the spring of 2014, the Driving Assistant will be incorporated in the new BMW X5. An M sports exhaust system will be a standard feature on the BMW 650i Coupe, the BMW 650i Convertible and the BMW 650i Gran Coupe.

BMW 2 Series Coupe: Two additional diesel engines will be available right after market launch.

The BMW 2 Series Coupe will be setting a new benchmark in sporting performance in the compact segment from March 2014. Immediately after market launch the model portfolio will be extended by two diesel variants. In two additional output categories, the BMW 218d Coupe and the BMW 225d Coupe offer an optimal combination of efficiency and dynamic performance so typical of a BMW. The BMW 218d Coupe features as standard a six-speed manual gearbox. As an option, this model comes with an eight-speed Steptronic transmission. The engine in the BMW 225d Coupe is offered in conjunction with an eight-speed Steptronic transmission.

Both models are powered by a 2-litre, four-cylinder diesel engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology. On the BMW 218d Coupe, this engine technology incorporates a turbocharger with variable intake geometry and Common Rail direct injection with solenoid valve injectors. A maximum output of 105 kW/143 hp and a maximum torque of 320 Nm help the car to accelerate from 0 to 100 km/h in 8.9 seconds (automatic transmission: 8.6 seconds). The average fuel consumption of the BMW 218d Coupe with a manual gearbox is 4.3 to 4.5 litres per 100 kilometres. In conjunction with an automatic transmission, the car consumes 4.2 to 4.4 litres of fuel per 100 kilometres. CO2 emissions are 114 to 119 grams/km (automatic: 111 to 117 grams per kilometre) (figures according to the EU test cycle, depending on selected tyre format).

Multi-stage turbocharging and Common Rail direct injection with piezo injectors help the engine of the BMW 225d Coupe to achieve a maximum output of 160 kW/218 hp and a maximum torque of 450 Nm. This most powerful diesel version of the two-door vehicle sprints from 0 to 100 km/h in 6.3 seconds. This car combines athletic power performance with exemplary efficiency. The BMW 225d Coupe has an average fuel consumption of 4.7 litres/100 km (CO2 emission level: 124 g/km).

BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo: New six-cylinder diesel engine, BMW xDrive for two additional models.

In the spring of 2014, the BMW 3 Series Gran Turismo will become even more attractive through additional model variants with a straight six-cylinder engine and an eight-speed Steptronic transmission featured as standard. An addition to the range of models is the BMW 330d Gran Turismo, whose 3-litre engine develops a maximum output of 190 kW/258 hp and a peak torque of 560 Nm. If desired, the new engine variant can be combined with xDrive. The BMW 330d Gran Turismo accelerates from a standstill to 100 km/h in 5.7 seconds (BMW 330d xDrive Gran Turismo: 5.4 seconds). Average fuel consumption is 5.1 to 5.2 litres (5.4 litres) per 100 kilometres. The CO2 emission rate is 135 to 136 or 142 to 143 grams per kilometre, respectively (values per EU test cycle, dependent on selected tyre format).

The new BMW 335d xDrive Gran Turismo excels through uncompromising supremacy. This model is also equipped with four-wheel drive and features multi-stage turbocharging and Common Rail direct injection with piezo injectors, a technology which helps it to deliver 230 kW/313 hp and achieve a maximum torque of 600 Nm. The sprint from 0 to 100 km/h takes a mere 4.9 seconds. Average fuel consumption is 5.6 to 5.7 litres per 100 kilometres. The CO2 emission level is 148 to 149 grams per kilometre (values per EU test cycle, dependent on the tyre format).

Moreover, as of spring 2014, an innovation package will be available for all BMW 3 Series models consisting of attractive special equipment options. This package includes Xenon headlights, adaptive cornering lights, the BMW Head-Up Display, the High-Beam Assistant and Speed Limit Info including No Passing Indicator.

Additional diesel engine variant and new four-wheel drive variant for the BMW 4 Series Coupe, BMW xDrive available for the first time for the 4 Series Convertible.

In the spring of 2014, a fourth diesel engine will be added to the BMW 4 Series Coupe range of models comprising seven engine variants by that time. This new addition is a 4-cylinder diesel engine delivering 160 kW/218 hp and featuring TwinPower Turbo technology. The new BMW 425d Coupe is equipped with a six-speed manual transmission as standard. Optionally, power transmission is effected via an eight-speed Steptronic transmission. A sprint from standstill to 100 km/h is completed in 6.7 seconds (automatic: 6.5 seconds). The vehicle's average fuel consumption is 5.0 to 5.1 litres/100 km (automatic: 4.7 to 4.9 litres.). CO2 emissions are rated at 131 to 135 grams per kilometre (124 to 128 g/km; values per EU test cycle, dependent on the selected tyre format).

With the introduction of the BMW 430d xDrive Coupe, the number of model variants featuring four-wheel drive will increase to six. The new model, which is equipped with a straight six-cylinder diesel engine delivering a maximum output of 190 kW/258 hp in combination with an eight-speed Steptronic transmission as a standard option, accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h in 5.2 seconds. Spirited performance combines with an average fuel consumption of 5.2 to 5.4 litres per 100 kilometres and a CO2 emission rate of 137 to 141 grams per kilometre (values per EU test cycle, dependent on the selected tyre format).

Also in the BMW 4 Series Convertible, the intelligent four-wheel drive will in future demonstrate its advantages in terms of traction, safety and driving dynamics. It premieres in the 4 Series with the introduction of the BMW 428i xDrive Convertible, which is powered by a 2-litre, four-cylinder petrol engine with BMW TwinPower Turbo technology and a maximum output of 180 kW/245 hp. Engine power is transferred to all four wheels via a standard eight-speed Steptronic transmission and BMW xDrive. Acceleration from 0 to 100 km/h is achieved in 6.5 seconds. Average fuel consumption of the BMW 428i xDrive Convertible is 7.0 to 7.2 litres per 100 kilometres, the CO2 rating is 163 to 167 grams per kilometre (values per EU test cycle, dependent on selected tyre format).

Exclusive driving pleasure for the BMW 4 Series: BMW Individual.

From the spring of 2014, the available range of BMW Individual features will offer ideal opportunities to combine sporting elegance and the pleasure of driving for the BMW 4 Series. Exquisite materials, premium finish and a particularly sophisticated design characterise the exterior and interior options installed at the factory. The model-specific programme comprises an attractive selection of BMW Individual exterior paints and BMW Individual light-alloy wheels with mixed tyre sizes. In addition, an extended BMW Individual leather trim, a Merino leather steering wheel as well as an instrument panel finished in leather can be had, which will also be incorporated into the BMW 3 Series Sedan and the BMW 3 Series Touring starting in spring.

Available in future as a standard feature: Tyre pressure indicator for each individual tyre.

Starting in spring, drivers of a BMW will be warned of a loss of tyre pressure more precisely than ever before. A tyre pressure indicator will be offered as a standard equipment feature on all new vehicles of the brand with the exception of the BMW X6. Sensors on all four tyres facilitate an exact and individual monitoring of the pressure in each individual tyre. The tyre pressure currently at hand will be shown in the Control Display or the instrument cluster, respectively, depending on the model and the equipment options customers have chosen. In the event of a loss of tyre pressure, the driver will be made aware of a possible danger well in advance.

High-speed graphics, additional functions: The new generation of the navigation system Business and the radio Professional.

With enhanced functions and optimised performance, the latest generation of the radio Professional and the navigation system Business is raising comfort and driving pleasure to an even higher level. Both newly revised options will be introduced in the spring of 2014. During the course of 2014, they will also be introduced to the BMW 1 Series, the BMW 2 Series and the BMW 5 Series and will then be available for all models except for the BMW X6. Both systems have a new control unit with boosted computing performance. Thus, for example, Bluetooth audio streaming will be available in the vehicle with the integration of mobile devices as well as additional BMW ConnectedDrive services.

The most significant innovation to the navigation system Business are the graphic images which now generate 10 times faster than before on the 16.5-inch control display. High-resolution maps, which now have 3D elements and animations, and an increased speed when calculating routes characterise the advancement made possible by the optimisation of the control unit technology.

In conjunction with the ConnectedDrive Services option, the navigation system Business can be used in future for the Concierge Services, Real Time Traffic Information and Remote Services. In order to establish the necessary online connections in an optimum manner, the new system uses the 3G standard for mobile telephone networks.

Extended range of series equipment for the new BMW X5 and the top-of-the-range version of the BMW 6 Series.

The multitude of driver assistance systems from BMW ConnectedDrive, which come as standard or are fitted as an option, is one of the characteristic features that make the new BMW X5 clearly stand out from the competition. From the spring of 2014, this added advantage will be emphasised even more intensively by complementing the standard equipment of the Sports Activity Vehicle by the Driving Assistant system. Driving Assistant comprises camera-based Lane Departure Warning and Collision Warning (including pedestrian warning) with brake application function. Lane Departure Warning makes the steering wheel vibrate in order to warn the driver when he or she veers out of lane unintentionally. Collision Warning detects vehicles driving ahead and pedestrians. The system issues a visual and acoustic warning if there is an imminent risk of collision. It also initiates a braking process, if required.

On the eight-cylinder models of the BMW 6 Series, an extension of the range of series equipment in the spring of 2014 further accentuates their highly athletic character. In future, the BMW 650i Coupe, the BMW 650i Convertible and the BMW 650i Gran Coupe will all be equipped with an M Sport exhaust system installed at the factory. The motor-racing inspired system developed by BMW M GmbH reduces the exhaust back pressure and emphasises the characteristic acoustics of the V8 power unit during acceleration and deceleration.

As of spring 2014, the optional Harman Kardon surround system will be available on all BMW 6 Series models. The system guarantees music enjoyment at the highest level while en route. In conjunction with the optional navigation system Professional, the iDrive operating system will in future comprise a touch controller for the entry of characters.

Name:  Screen Shot 2014-01-22 at 8.32.09 AM.jpg
Views: 18915
Size:  114.3 KB

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #2
Richbot
Major General
Rep
Drives: Jerez Black E90

Lol. GM and others have offered individual tire pressure since the mid 2000's.
      01-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

- the individual tire pressure/temperature has been available via coding in the F-chassis CIC/NBT at least since MY2012.
- Navigation Business uses a 6.5" display, not 16.5". Navigation Business is only available in the i3 in the USA.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #4
bosjt
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d X-Drive

Well, they might be slow on some things, but I commend BMW on continuously refining and updating their product line and option packages.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:46 PM   #5
jgabucci
THE CHOSEN ONE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Better late than never.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

So will the enhanced Nav be included on the M3 when it rolls out?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #7
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

I hope these changes are reflected on the new M3/4. Specifically, business i-drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:51 PM   #8
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

tire pressure indicator for each tire ?!?

Already have it in my car... Coded thanks to Frogman.

I dont know why BMW has been holding back. It's already available to everyone, you just have to code it.

The Green/Orange/Red is so useless without the actual numbers.

For a luxury brand, BMW should be making a lot more things standards.
But people keep on buying them cars... so why should BMW change right ?...
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:52 PM   #9
Chill72
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
So will the enhanced Nav be included on the M3 when it rolls out?
Ha beat me to it.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #10
dnw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3 / 2014 520d MS

So iDrive touch finally comes to the 6 series (and I assume M6). Any way to find out from which build week? "spring" and "future" are a little vague.
      01-22-2014, 12:59 PM   #11
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
so they FINALLY introduce a convertible xdrive but only limit it to a diesel engine...

I've had it with this company.. new direction pisses me off every time they announce something new.

Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

I might have gotten the 335d if it were available when I ordered my 335i. I wonder why they don't introduce the more powerful diesel at launch in the US. Oh well.
      01-22-2014, 01:12 PM   #13
wdeerfield
A family of bimmers
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 G01 X3M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gjm127 View Post
so they FINALLY introduce a convertible xdrive but only limit it to a diesel engine...

I've had it with this company.. new direction pisses me off every time they announce something new.

pretty sure the 428i xdrive in a convertible will be available... its the last in the list posted
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawgone View Post
I might have gotten the 335d if it were available when I ordered my 335i. I wonder why they don't introduce the more powerful diesel at launch in the US. Oh well.
US gov't is slow to allow it
      01-22-2014, 01:29 PM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

From what build date will cars have these changes? Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:34 PM   #15
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Some very nice upgrades here.

I recently got a chance to sample the 650i's M Sport exhaust system... it makes for a mean fart(in a good way!) when the AT upshifts. It doesn't pop and grumble as much a the PE for 135i/335i's system does. But when you get on it(WOT)... it sounds really good!
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:36 PM   #16
hellrotm
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Here is something simple, a sun visor that can slide back when pushed to the side window. Every other new car on planet has that.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:41 PM   #17
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Build date please! Just ordered a car and it hasn't been submitted yet.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #18
Bamsterman68
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 sDrive28i ///M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
Yeah, my wifes 2008 Hyundai has it lol. At least BMW caught on.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #19
wzj519
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 COMP PKG

Is the M performance exhaust same as the one comes with m sport pkg currently?
The only change is it becomes standard instead of being a part of the pkg?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #20
Convertible
Private First Class
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamsterman68 View Post
Yeah, my wifes 2008 Hyundai has it lol. At least BMW caught on.
BMW had those already in the 90`s but took another route.

I think they were called RDS (TyrePressureSystem).
E30 M3 Convertible
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #21
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blubaron79 View Post
Build date please! Just ordered a car and it hasn't been submitted yet.
I don't think the updates apply to USA do they?

USA already has tire pressure monitors. And Business nav isn't available in USA!?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #22
jerflash
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 328xi/2002 ws6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
- the individual tire pressure/temperature has been available via coding in the F-chassis CIC/NBT at least since MY2012.
- Navigation Business uses a 6.5" display, not 16.5". Navigation Business is only available in the i3 in the USA.
Could i ask the dealer to code this into my 428i? it seems really silly that it does not have it stock!

Thanks