F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > 2015 BMW 328i Xdrive Auto Start/stop help!
European Auto Source
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-28-2017, 10:57 AM   #1
Johndock23
Private
1
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: 2008 335XI E90 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Branford, ct

iTrader: (0)

2015 BMW 328i Xdrive Auto Start/stop help!

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Hey guys,

My friend has a 2015 328i Xdrive with the auto start/stop feature. She parked her car yesterday when the engine shut off. However, she forgot to actually turn the car off. She left the car and about 11 hours later went back to the car and saw it was still running! Is there a way to have the car shut up by itself if this happens? Maybe through Coding?

Thanks,
__________________
~John
2008 335xi 6MT - MHD stage 1, BMS DCI
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 12:18 PM   #2
Billfitz
Brigadier General
United_States
858
Rep
3,132
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

ASS only works when the car is in 'Drive', so if she either put it in 'Park' herself or did so by turning off the engine there's no way ASS would start the car again. Also, if the engine is turned off, but the power left on, when the car is locked the power is shut down. The most likely explanation is that she put it in park but did not turn the engine off. Because of the screwy BMW shifter function I trained myself early on not to put it in 'Park' manually, but to turn the engine off instead.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
Johndock23
Private
1
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: 2008 335XI E90 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Branford, ct

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
ASS only works when the car is in 'Drive', so if she either put it in 'Park' herself or did so by turning off the engine there's no way ASS would start the car again. Also, if the engine is turned off, but the power left on, when the car is locked the power is shut down. The most likely explanation is that she put it in park but did not turn the engine off. Because of the screwy BMW shifter function I trained myself early on not to put it in 'Park' manually, but to turn the engine off instead.
Oh ok, well I'm guessing she parked and was still in drive when the engine shut off using ASS and then she put it in park and left without shutting of the ignition. I just figured if that happened, there should be an auto shut up after a certain amount of time, it ran for 11 hours! So you turn off the engine which the car is still in D 'Drive'?
__________________
~John
2008 335xi 6MT - MHD stage 1, BMS DCI
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
anotheran
Sedan Driver
Canada
81
Rep
391
Posts

Drives: A nice car
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

She could disable ASS so won't get confused whether the car is off or not. Or always make sure the dash is off when she exits by hitting the On/Off twice
__________________
I subscribe to ASD OFF because I like to hear real engine sounds

BMW Athletics Soft Shell Jacket | DTM Motorsport Team Cap| BMW M Drift Cat 5 | BMW M Thermo Mug
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2017, 02:24 PM   #5
tex2670
Assistant to the Traveling Secretary
tex2670's Avatar
United_States
707
Rep
2,168
Posts

Drives: '14 328xi Sport Line
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
ASS only works when the car is in 'Drive', so if she either put it in 'Park' herself or did so by turning off the engine there's no way ASS would start the car again. Also, if the engine is turned off, but the power left on, when the car is locked the power is shut down. The most likely explanation is that she put it in park but did not turn the engine off. Because of the screwy BMW shifter function I trained myself early on not to put it in 'Park' manually, but to turn the engine off instead.
Yup. If the ASS shuts the car off, and then you put the car in P and open the door, you actually have to press the start button to restart the car; it won't restart by putting it in drive.

OP's "friend" is just another clueless human that is so fixated on the next task, that she doesn't remember to turn the car off when she gets out. There are stories on the internet (not just for BMWs), and class action lawsuits have resulted. Just the dumbing down of society.
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 02:53 PM   #6
Johndock23
Private
1
Rep
56
Posts

Drives: 2008 335XI E90 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Branford, ct

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Yup. If the ASS shuts the car off, and then you put the car in P and open the door, you actually have to press the start button to restart the car; it won't restart by putting it in drive.

OP's "friend" is just another clueless human that is so fixated on the next task, that she doesn't remember to turn the car off when she gets out. There are stories on the internet (not just for BMWs), and class action lawsuits have resulted. Just the dumbing down of society.
Yeah, that pretty much describes her in a nutshell (smart, pretty, blonde managing a new start-up company and focused on the next task for work and thinks less about things around her i.e. her car). I just wanted to post on here and see if there was a code to turn the car off.

When you shut the ASS off, does it default to on when you turn the car back on? Can you change that setting?
__________________
~John
2008 335xi 6MT - MHD stage 1, BMS DCI
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2017, 03:17 PM   #7
tex2670
Assistant to the Traveling Secretary
tex2670's Avatar
United_States
707
Rep
2,168
Posts

Drives: '14 328xi Sport Line
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Philly

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndock23 View Post
Yeah, that pretty much describes her in a nutshell (smart, pretty, blonde managing a new start-up company and focused on the next task for work and thinks less about things around her i.e. her car). I just wanted to post on here and see if there was a code to turn the car off.

When you shut the ASS off, does it default to on when you turn the car back on? Can you change that setting?
I have a '14, which remembers the last setting for the ASS on/off--so hers should work the same way. So if she deactivates ASS, when she gets out of the car without shutting down, she *should* hear the engine running...
__________________

2014 328i xDrive | Black Sapphire / Black Red Dakota | Sport Line | Premium Pkg | Lighting Pkg | Cold Weather Pkg | Driver Assistance | Nav | Sport Automatic Transmission
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 03:30 PM   #8
ChubbyWilly
Private First Class
United_States
15
Rep
161
Posts

Drives: 2013 328i Sedan MG
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Dallas

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I have a '14, which remembers the last setting for the ASS on/off--so hers should work the same way. So if she deactivates ASS, when she gets out of the car without shutting down, she *should* hear the engine running...
I had to code mine to remember the last setting.

@OP I'd really have to see it for myself to help. Can you post of a photo of your friend's ASS in action.
__________________

JB4 Map 2, Catless DP, H&R Sport Springs.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2017, 05:06 PM   #9
Billfitz
Brigadier General
United_States
858
Rep
3,132
Posts

Drives: '15 328iX GT
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: New Hampshire

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndock23 View Post
So you turn off the engine which the car is still in D 'Drive'?
I do. Putting it in Park is a duplication of efforts, since when you turn the engine off the car will go into park by itself. I got into that habit after the first ten or so times that I pushed the shift lever forward to put it in park, as you do with perhaps 95% of the cars on the planet, and it went into reverse instead. I assume that actor Anton Yelchin, who died after being run over by his own Jeep, was the victim of a similar engineering 'improvement'.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:23 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST