F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > The 335i/435i 2500rpm Rattle Noise
View Poll Results: Please answer the following questions:
My F30 335i/335xi has this particular rattle (if so, please check other options as applicable) 33 94.29%
Rattle occurs mostly in the first 10 to 15 minutes of driving 13 37.14%
Rattle does NOT necessarily occur mostly in the first 10 to 15 minutes of driving 15 42.86%
Rattle occurs mostly in winters 5 14.29%
Rattle does NOT necessarily occur mostly in winters 13 37.14%
Rattle occurs mostly during medium acceleration 21 60.00%
Rattle does NOT necessarily occur during medium acceleration 8 22.86%
I have the HUD option 22 62.86%
I do not have the HUD option 7 20.00%
I can make the "rapidness" of the rattle vary with the acceleration(throttle) 22 62.86%
I CANNOT make the "rapidness" of the rattle vary with the acceleration(throttle) 3 8.57%
I have an 8AT 29 82.86%
I have the 6 MT 4 11.43%
My issue has been resolved (if so please post what was the resolution) 1 2.86%
My issue is still not fixed. 26 74.29%
This issue has seriously taken away the joy of driving 16 45.71%
This issue has not significantly taken away the joy of driving 12 34.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-03-2014, 02:27 AM   #1
rallybull
Captain
 
rallybull's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

The 335i/435i 2500rpm Rattle Noise

EDIT: I have updated the title to include 435i too. Unfortunately it is not possible to change the poll options so the wording in the poll still remains as "335i". All 435i owners should please ignore the wording and go ahead and use the poll.

Here is a short 8 seconds snippet (need to turn up your volume):




There have been a few threads on this rattle that is so difficult to fix.

Here are some other threads with similar videos:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=858863

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=906705

If you have any other thread regarding the same rattle, please post it here.

Trying to get a poll to see how many people have had this rattle.

EDIT: Damn!... I forgot to add the AC criteria to the poll... and now I cannot edit the poll options.

Last edited by rallybull; 02-18-2014 at 01:18 AM.
rallybull is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 02:33 AM   #2
Steve33
Captain
 
Steve33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 695
iTrader: (0)

I have it... seems to be getting worse. Not sure if it has to do with it being cooler in the mornings or what, but it's driving me crazy!
__________________
Steve33 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 02:44 AM   #3
rallybull
Captain
 
rallybull's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
I have it... seems to be getting worse. Not sure if it has to do with it being cooler in the mornings or what, but it's driving me crazy!
I just put up the poll..... let us see if we can find some patterns.

If the numbers are high enough, we should be able to take this info to BMW corporate.
rallybull is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 02:57 AM   #4
Steve33
Captain
 
Steve33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 695
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
I just put up the poll..... let us see if we can find some patterns.

If the numbers are high enough, we should be able to take this info to BMW corporate.
Done

EDIT: Do you have the HK stereo?
__________________
Steve33 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 03:01 AM   #5
rallybull
Captain
 
rallybull's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve33 View Post
Done

EDIT: Do you have the HK stereo?
No... the US spec Hi-Fi. I see where you are getting. I really wish there was a way to update these polls with more and more options....
rallybull is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 03:04 AM   #6
Steve33
Captain
 
Steve33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 695
iTrader: (0)

https://www.bmwusa.com/Secured/Conte...ctaBMWRep.aspx

Contact BMWUSA, see if you get a response from someone with an IQ above 75

Just make a SurveyMonkey
__________________
Steve33 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
Mattstrete
New Member
 
Drives: 435i mSport MPPK
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: South Africa

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

435i too!

Dear OP

Could you please modify the post to refer to the 435i as well? We're also having the same problem. (Mine was alleviated by reseating the radiator, but it's coming back).
Mattstrete is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #8
Steve33
Captain
 
Steve33's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal

Posts: 695
iTrader: (0)

Is this only happening on N55 motors?
__________________
Steve33 is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 12:53 PM   #9
btbossman
Major
 
Drives: 2013 335xi M sport--2014 M6
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 1,426
iTrader: (0)

Yeah, this is a terrible rattle! When I speak of rattle in my car, its more creaking Im talking about. Every time I hit a bump something creaks. Its obvious BMW went through some severe cost cutting when putting these f3x together...My girl had an e90lci 328 loaner this weekend, I drove it a little bit, no creaking what so ever.

The rattle you guys speak of here I have noticed once or twice, but I thought it was just the crap in my cup holders or something, and it was only getting started at low RPM.
btbossman is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2014, 01:04 PM   #10
davjo68
New Member
 
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i Sport Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dallas TX

Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)

Shouldn't there be an option for those not experiencing this rattle? Also, maybe mileage ranges to indicate when the rattle was first experienced and year of the car would be helpful?

I just listened to the 2 videos from the posted links and I've not experienced that rattle in my '13 335i SL, if I had it would be at the dealer until they got it resolved as that would really irritate me.
davjo68 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
ft1330
Captain
 
Drives: 2014 335i
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SE PA

Posts: 629
iTrader: (0)

In my opinion you're going nowhere with this poll. Sorry to be so harsh. I'm the OP of the second thread you've linked and I've got some serious research experience on this topic due to my own issue.

This is not "one" issue that is the same for everyone, but several possible issues that all sound the same. It *may* be coming from the HUD, the HK, the screen, the air vents, the cowling, the heat shields, the radiator, the transmission, a broken dashboard brace weld, the cup cover, the sun visors, etc, etc. Yes I have seen people had their cars fixed and this is a short list of all the various issues that were found, and that triggered this exact same vibration for all of them. The reason it's around that RPM range is because it's when the engine vibrates the most. Believe it or not I have verified this with other car brands, 2,500 rpm is always when you get the acceleration rattles.

The truth is that vibrations all sound the same and are transmitted in mysterious ways. IF you can reproduce the noise on demand then it's an easy fix for your dealer. If not then you're in trouble, as I am. Because I can't get the car to do it on demand, the dealer can't pinpoint it.

It's definitely a noble effort to want to get BMW's attention on this but it's unlikely this will result in anything more than "call your dealer", since they know this can come from so many different sources.

Last edited by ft1330; 02-04-2014 at 09:10 AM.
ft1330 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #12
yemenmocha
First Lieutenant
 
yemenmocha's Avatar
 
Drives: 14 335i Msport-PPK, 06 M3
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Phoenix

Posts: 338
iTrader: (0)

After the dealer installed PPK mine improved. still there, but less obnoxious.
yemenmocha is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-10-2014, 08:52 PM   #13
rallybull
Captain
 
rallybull's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ft1330 View Post
In my opinion you're going nowhere with this poll. Sorry to be so harsh. I'm the OP of the second thread you've linked and I've got some serious research experience on this topic due to my own issue.

This is not "one" issue that is the same for everyone, but several possible issues that all sound the same. It *may* be coming from the HUD, the HK, the screen, the air vents, the cowling, the heat shields, the radiator, the transmission, a broken dashboard brace weld, the cup cover, the sun visors, etc, etc. Yes I have seen people had their cars fixed and this is a short list of all the various issues that were found, and that triggered this exact same vibration for all of them. The reason it's around that RPM range is because it's when the engine vibrates the most. Believe it or not I have verified this with other car brands, 2,500 rpm is always when you get the acceleration rattles.

The truth is that vibrations all sound the same and are transmitted in mysterious ways. IF you can reproduce the noise on demand then it's an easy fix for your dealer. If not then you're in trouble, as I am. Because I can't get the car to do it on demand, the dealer can't pinpoint it.

It's definitely a noble effort to want to get BMW's attention on this but it's unlikely this will result in anything more than "call your dealer", since they know this can come from so many different sources.
If what you say is true, then BMW got it REALLY wrong with the F30 N55 builds, since I've never had this kind of issue with any other cars at any freaking rpm. I don't think I've seen a single video of an E90 N55 making this kind of sound.

And yes the car has many other different kinds of rattles. This one is the most concerning and does not sound like the others. This one sounds "metallic". A sun visor should not cause this kind of metallic rattle, but then if there are indeed multiple kinds of failures that are causing the same kind of metallic sound it is 1) the biggest coincidence & 2) Epic failure on BMW's part to have let so many different entities in the car cause horrible metallic rattles.
rallybull is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 06:07 PM   #14
Glassy
this life is expensive.
 
Glassy's Avatar
 
Drives: F32
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Norcal

Posts: 312
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallybull View Post
If what you say is true, then BMW got it REALLY wrong with the F30 N55 builds, since I've never had this kind of issue with any other cars at any freaking rpm. I don't think I've seen a single video of an E90 N55 making this kind of sound.

And yes the car has many other different kinds of rattles. This one is the most concerning and does not sound like the others. This one sounds "metallic". A sun visor should not cause this kind of metallic rattle, but then if there are indeed multiple kinds of failures that are causing the same kind of metallic sound it is 1) the biggest coincidence & 2) Epic failure on BMW's part to have let so many different entities in the car cause horrible metallic rattles.
I hope they come out with a fix for this rattling issue. Hopefully they have techs trying to pinpoint the source right now.
__________________
Glassy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2014, 07:16 PM   #15
Coolhydro
Private
 
Drives: Ducati , f30 335i sport
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Ca

Posts: 72
iTrader: (0)

Ok so what now? Are we gonna send this poll to bmw North america?
Coolhydro is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-14-2014, 02:10 AM   #16
rallybull
Captain
 
rallybull's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

My car is in service and I could replicate the sound while the shop foreman was sitting in the car. They are working on the car right now. No word yet from them though.
rallybull is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2014, 01:16 AM   #17
tdodge1
Registered
 
Drives: black 435i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: south fl

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

Heyo. I joined the forum just to vote and discuss this issue. 2014 435i with this charming rattle, very disappointed, a friend of mine said don't get first model year and wait until they work the bugs out, looks like he was right.

anyway, 2500rpm, rattle in dash or engine compartment, Im not sure which. Frankly I got this car because I don't have time to be in and out of service. Im disappointed this 60k car rattles like a sinking ship.

id love to see a sb or bmw address this, though Im sure that won't happen. anyway, anybody who nails down the exact source please share.
tdodge1 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2014, 04:21 AM   #18
rallybull
Captain
 
rallybull's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i w/PPK
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

Just updated the original post with my own video snippet of the rattle. It is very similar to some of the videos others posted.
rallybull is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2014, 09:01 AM   #19
dmk11
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: '14 335i 6MT
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: MI

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

Please let us know if they fix it in your car. It's amazing that everybody has the same issue. Maybe it's a design issue.
dmk11 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #20
chiefneil
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i M Sport
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Arizona

Posts: 244
iTrader: (0)

I have the same rattle from the video, almost since the car was new (currently at 3k miles). It does sound like a heat shield or something under the hood, but it's subtle enough to be mistaken for engine/muffler "throatiness". It doesn't bother me overly much, although I expect I'll mention it to the dealer at my first oil change or if it gets worse.

Stock 335i M-sport here, HK, no nav, no HUD.
chiefneil is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-15-2014, 11:32 AM   #21
Glassy
this life is expensive.
 
Glassy's Avatar
 
Drives: F32
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Norcal

Posts: 312
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdodge1 View Post
Heyo. I joined the forum just to vote and discuss this issue. 2014 435i with this charming rattle, very disappointed, a friend of mine said don't get first model year and wait until they work the bugs out, looks like he was right.

anyway, 2500rpm, rattle in dash or engine compartment, Im not sure which. Frankly I got this car because I don't have time to be in and out of service. Im disappointed this 60k car rattles like a sinking ship.

id love to see a sb or bmw address this, though Im sure that won't happen. anyway, anybody who nails down the exact source please share.
Couldn't have said this better myself. Agree with 100% of everything you just said haha. My friend also told me not to get the first model year too.....oops.

Hoping BMW addresses the issue or someone on the forum figures it out. The rattle is back for me, I'll be taking it in the 3rd time...hopefully I have something to report back with.
__________________
Glassy is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-17-2014, 05:05 AM   #22
m7ammed
1junkie
 
m7ammed's Avatar
 
Drives: Superman 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Saudi Arabia

Posts: 821
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via MSN to m7ammed
got this sound from my second day of ownership! it feels like its coming from between the engine area and the dash
__________________

Mod List:
BMW Performance Parts: Front Bumper | Suspension | Exhaust | Gear Knob | Hand Brake | Steering Wheel
www.M7M-Photography.com
m7ammed is offline   Saudi Arabia
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST