F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Was hyped to order a 428i xdrive but the IS350 F-sport looks good (and leases CHEAP)
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-21-2014, 08:57 PM   #1
elite.
Private First Class
 
Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mi

Posts: 144
iTrader: (1)

Was hyped to order a 428i xdrive but the IS350 F-sport looks good (and leases CHEAP)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Im about to drop the hammer and order a 428i xdrive. I Just happened to check out the residual on Lexus and a 27mon lease is at 72%!! So, Its not totally apples to apples but the car had some nice write-ups and did well against the 335 and ats sedan. I know im considering the coupe....but Im thinking with a low enough payment id keep my e46 330cic.

Has anyone driven the 2014 is350 F sport? My budget doesnt allow me to get into a nicely optioned 435i x drive so Im thinking 300plus HP and AWD....hmmmmm

Advice?
elite. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 09:07 PM   #2
bmw-nj
Captain
 
bmw-nj's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

Posts: 631
iTrader: (1)

I might have to check it out. I am planning a 335xi m sport but with that residual and the new look I'm going to have to test drive it.

What's the lease look like?
500 a month?
bmw-nj is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
menncars
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: F30-320i Sport
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto

Posts: 210
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post
Im about to drop the hammer and order a 428i xdrive. I Just happened to check out the residual on Lexus and a 27mon lease is at 72%!! So, Its not totally apples to apples but the car had some nice write-ups and did well against the 335 and ats sedan. I know im considering the coupe....but Im thinking with a low enough payment id keep my e46 330cic.

Has anyone driven the 2014 is350 F sport? My budget doesnt allow me to get into a nicely optioned 435i x drive so Im thinking 300plus HP and AWD....hmmmmm

Advice?
Have you taken the Lexus for a drive? Suggest you do. Might have been a bad experience but when I tested the IS350 I thought it was a car for old people. The sales guy called me 'son'. 'Son' was born before 1970.

All-wheel drive? When I think best all-wheel drive I can get I think WRX STi and drop the rest. I think small white car covered in stickers crashing into crowds of journalists and spectators standing on the side of a dirt track.

Mind you BMW's latest XDrive isn't bad but for a sport sedan, rear-wheel drive is the way to go.

For me, all-wheel drive = don't need it most of the time.

Your road conditions may differ.
menncars is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #4
m2michael23
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Tempe, AZ

Posts: 505
iTrader: (1)

Go for Lexus. If money is not the factor, def 435. A lot of my friends miss the feeling of BMW.
Test drive the models what you like, then u will know your answer.
__________________
jb4, Meisterschaft GT racing, Supersprint Catless, AFE INtake, KW V2, BBS CH-R
m2michael23 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 09:20 PM   #5
pz619
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 328i Sportline
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Diego

Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)

It's going to come down to the test drive. We can talk armchair racing and stats all day, but the only thing that matters is which car you want more within your budget.

I will say this, I really liked the seats in the f sport.
pz619 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
 
Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

Posts: 1,694
iTrader: (0)

Keep the E46 and BUY a Corolla for less than $300 a month.
BavarianFanatic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 09:36 PM   #7
elite.
Private First Class
 
Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mi

Posts: 144
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Keep the E46 and BUY a Corolla for less than $300 a month.
Highly considering a Corolla lol . But for 300 why get a Corolla when you can have a Lexus? JK
elite. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 09:45 PM   #8
elite.
Private First Class
 
Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mi

Posts: 144
iTrader: (1)

bmw-nj - ya......bottom line is we gotta drive them. A 27mon can be had for 450-500 with a little down, and i mean 500 not 2k. No need to buy down the MF and tie up 4k (although you have the option of up to 9 MSD's with Lexus)

.0008 (1.92) for 27mon 72% LEXUS
.0013 (3.12) for 36mon 62% BMW

If you do the math for a similar 50k car your at $535 on a bmw vs $443 on a lexus and thats 36mon vs 27mon! Decent savings....almost 100bucks!!!
elite. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #9
OC40
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 335i MSport + MPS/MPPK
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 1,729
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 MINI S  [0.00]
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Is the rear end of the FSport different than the IS 250/350? I see about 10 IS 250/350's per day and the rear is hideous. It looks as if Lexus forgot to finish it and that's before you see the cheap plastic bottom.
OC40 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
Bassthe1st
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 328i xDrive 2013
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Montreal, Qc

Posts: 37
iTrader: (0)

The Lexus is supposed to be the new driver's car to get and based on my 2008 335Xi to the F30 I have no reason to doubt it. The F30 is quite a bit softer than the previous versions, not that it's a bad thing in some cases. Performance wise, the IS350 is nowhere near the 335/435, but it sure is faster than the 328/428!

You're lucky if the residual is so low; over here it's only 50% after 36 months making the IS350 F much more expensive then a 328i.
Bassthe1st is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 10:18 PM   #11
bmw-nj
Captain
 
bmw-nj's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

Posts: 631
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite.
bmw-nj - ya......bottom line is we gotta drive them. A 27mon can be had for 450-500 with a little down, and i mean 500 not 2k. No need to buy down the MF and tie up 4k (although you have the option of up to 9 MSD's with Lexus)

.0008 (1.92) for 27mon 72% LEXUS
.0013 (3.12) for 36mon 62% BMW

If you do the math for a similar 50k car your at $535 on a bmw vs $443 on a lexus and thats 36mon vs 27mon! Decent savings....almost 100bucks!!!
That makes sense. I speced out a $54,525 335xi M Sport so I'm thinking it will be $600 a month.

I will definitely go drive the IS350 F.

Problem is I want a manual and that's not possible with the Lexus.
bmw-nj is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #12
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,186
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post
bmw-nj - ya......bottom line is we gotta drive them. A 27mon can be had for 450-500 with a little down, and i mean 500 not 2k. No need to buy down the MF and tie up 4k (although you have the option of up to 9 MSD's with Lexus)

.0008 (1.92) for 27mon 72% LEXUS
.0013 (3.12) for 36mon 62% BMW

If you do the math for a similar 50k car your at $535 on a bmw vs $443 on a lexus and thats 36mon vs 27mon! Decent savings....almost 100bucks!!!

Which back seat has more sex space?
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #13
elite.
Private First Class
 
Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mi

Posts: 144
iTrader: (1)

Gonna try to get to dealer Thur night late....If I can make it in there! Keep you posted, keep me posted!
elite. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 10:28 PM   #14
The J-Man
Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Denver

Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

I've driven the Lexus.

The chassis and driving dynamics are easily better than the F30.

The interior is of exponentially higher quality than the F30.

The car feels solid and well built as opposed to the F30's hollow feeling.

The engine of the Lexus feels as though it's about 15 years behind the 328, much less the 335. MPG is abysmal compared to 328.

The Lexus infotainment system is one of the worst in the entire industry. iDrive is one of the best.

The front-end of the Lexus is quite ugly.

The Lexus dealership experience is on a whole other level from BMW, which is not much different than your average Honda dealership.

Good luck with your choice. I agree the Lexus deals these days are quite attractive.
The J-Man is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 10:38 PM   #15
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,186
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
I've driven the Lexus.

The chassis and driving dynamics are easily better than the F30.

The interior is of exponentially higher quality than the F30.

The car feels solid and well built as opposed to the F30's hollow feeling.

The engine of the Lexus feels as though it's about 15 years behind the 328, much less the 335. MPG is abysmal compared to 328.

The Lexus infotainment system is one of the worst in the entire industry. iDrive is one of the best.

The front-end of the Lexus is quite ugly.

The Lexus dealership experience is on a whole other level from BMW, which is not much different than your average Honda dealership.

Good luck with your choice. I agree the Lexus deals these days are quite attractive.

I don't know that I'd put the Lexus' chassis and driving dynamics above any BMW.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 10:47 PM   #16
elite.
Private First Class
 
Drives: e93
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Mi

Posts: 144
iTrader: (1)

I'm getting 13 to 15 mpg in my CTS coupe awd lol. And I dont really get on it at all. Was excited about the 428 4 banger turbo.....its all a compromise. The biggest thing for me is going from a coupe to sedan. But a sport sedan especially the f sport is attractive. Around my down the 3 series is played out which is why I wanted a 4 its new and fresh. Again payment is a big consideration. Maybe I'll keep the 330cic

Last edited by elite.; 01-22-2014 at 12:07 AM.
elite. is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2014, 08:58 AM   #17
marseille82
Second Lieutenant
 
marseille82's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i / E60 535i
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Boogie down Bronx

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-nj View Post
That makes sense. I speced out a $54,525 335xi M Sport so I'm thinking it will be $600 a month.

I will definitely go drive the IS350 F.

Problem is I want a manual and that's not possible with the Lexus.
If you a want a manual, then there is no more debate my friend.
marseille82 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2014, 09:32 AM   #18
insanediego
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 335i (on order)
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 47
iTrader: (0)

Also remember that on a 27 mo lease you pay for an entire year's registration but only use 3 months of it. At least in CA that is a pretty good chunk on a new car.
insanediego is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2014, 09:35 AM   #19
roundel335
Brigadier General
 
roundel335's Avatar
 
Drives: 13 335i Sedan, 11 128i Cabrio
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Leland, NC

Posts: 3,411
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The J-Man View Post
I've driven the Lexus.

The chassis and driving dynamics are easily better than the F30.

The interior is of exponentially higher quality than the F30.

The car feels solid and well built as opposed to the F30's hollow feeling.

The engine of the Lexus feels as though it's about 15 years behind the 328, much less the 335. MPG is abysmal compared to 328.

The Lexus infotainment system is one of the worst in the entire industry. iDrive is one of the best.

The front-end of the Lexus is quite ugly.

The Lexus dealership experience is on a whole other level from BMW, which is not much different than your average Honda dealership.

Good luck with your choice. I agree the Lexus deals these days are quite attractive.
I don't know what kind of F30 you've driven, but mine sure as hell doesn't feel "hollow" and the chassis and "driving dynamics" are superior to any Toyota I've ever driven (remember, the Lexus is an overpriced upscale Toyota). Interior-wise, I prefer my 335i M-Sport's interior to anything from Japan.

I don't see ANY Lexus as a true competitor to BMW - maybe as a "wannabe", but definitely not in the same category. Lexus leans more towards the luxury side as opposed to performance, or they'd have a much better powertrain, and more than one choice of engine. Like everyone else says, the proof is in the test drive and it's whatever suits your personal preferences.
__________________

2013 F30 335i M-Sport 8AT/MPE/MPPK, 2011 128i M-sport Cabrio 6MT/PE
roundel335 is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2014, 09:39 AM   #20
shivaswrath
Colonel
 
shivaswrath's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 335i
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Lost in NJ

Posts: 2,982
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I don't know what kind of F30 you've driven, but mine sure as hell doesn't feel "hollow" and the chassis and "driving dynamics" are superior to any Toyota I've ever driven (remember, the Lexus is an overpriced upscale Toyota). Interior-wise, I prefer my 335i M-Sport's interior to anything from Japan.

To each their own, but it's going to be hard to get most people on here to recommend a brand other than BMW. Might get more encouragement from a Lexus forum (if there are such things). Think about this, too - that Lexus is offering "deals" on the F-Sport is probably an indicator that they're not selling well or they're selling/leasing on a very low margin just to boost sales figures. If money's the big factor, then Kia or Hyundai would probably be an even better deal. Moral of the story is that you don't get what you don't pay for.
My wife loves the lexus.
I love the BMW.

And I suspect most IS drivers are female. Just my $.02 observation....
__________________
2012 335i Mineral Gray
M Performance Whore: PPK|Exhaust|Brakes|Performance Suspension Struts & Springs|LSD|Black Kidney Grilles|CF Spoiler and Mirror Caps|Bav Stage 1|400Ms|BMWF30.com
shivaswrath is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2014, 09:48 AM   #21
John 070
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Posts: 11,409
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite. View Post
Highly considering a Corolla lol . But for 300 why get a Corolla when you can have a Lexus? JK
he said to BUY a Corolla and stop leasing
John 070 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2014, 09:50 AM   #22
John 070
Lieutenant General
 
Drives: 335i cpe
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: ZSP/ZPP/ZCW

Posts: 11,409
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
Like everyone else says, the proof is in the test drive and it's whatever suits your personal preferences.
Or if you lift both vehicles (F30's use of stamped steel)
John 070 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:07 AM.




f30post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST