F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > What infant seat fits in F30?
Steve Thomas BMW

11-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Tsuyoi
Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 F30 328i

What infant seat fits in F30?

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So my wife is pregnant 3 months now, and I'm starting to look into infant car seats. I'm leaning towards the Britax B-safe, but some reviews said it's a tough fit in small/medium sedans, so I was wondering if anyone with an F30 had/has some experience with this. Also, would the trunk fit the corresponding B-Agile stroller without having to put a seat down?
      11-28-2013, 04:04 PM   #2
Gastoys
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 BWM 335i M Sport sapphire

Congrats! Infant car seat will fit with no issues, though you might have to move the seat forward a few inches at most.
      11-28-2013, 06:10 PM   #3
Vitoco
Captain

Drives: F31 328i M Sport

Congratulations! I have a Besafe Izi Sleep with the isofix base in the rear right seat, pretty big n chunky. A smaller person can fit in the front seat withput a problem, if ur taller than 180 cm ur knees will be touching the glovebox. Best thing u can do is to go out there and try them out.
      11-28-2013, 06:15 PM   #4
Vitoco
Captain

Drives: F31 328i M Sport

The biggest problem is that the rear seats are deeper than in most cars, this tends to tilt the baby seat up making the babys head drop forward when u accelerate or even when its just sitting there since it cant hold it up. My wife always sits next to our kid and the first months she had to litterally hold his head up the whole time or at least have the hand there just in case.
      11-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #5
M-SP0RT
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335i M Sport

my wife is due in 6 weeks and I will receive my F30 next week... we already bought a Graco stroller with infant seat. The F30 will not be our primary family car when our baby arrives, but I'm hoping we would be able to install the infant seat in the center of the rear seats

'14 335i Alpine White on Coral Red | H&R Sport Springs | H&R Spacers | M Perf Grills | Painted M Perf Spoiler | Painted Reflectors | 3M ColorStable 35% Tint
M-SP0RT is offline   United_States
      11-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
imyopusha
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 335i & 2010 MB GL450

We have two massive Evenflo Symphony E3 seats. There is more than enough room. My wife can almost fit between. I am confident you could get three seats across if they were smaller seats.
      11-28-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Michael Schott
Major

Drives: 2011 328i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SP0RT View Post
my wife is due in 6 weeks and I will receive my F30 next week... we already bought a Graco stroller with infant seat. The F30 will not be our primary family car when our baby arrives, but I'm hoping we would be able to install the infant seat in the center of the rear seats
Check the owners manual before using the center seat. In the E90 the LATCH system was designed only for the outboard seats not the center. Not sure about the F30.
      11-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #8
M-SP0RT
First Lieutenant

Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
Check the owners manual before using the center seat. In the E90 the LATCH system was designed only for the outboard seats not the center. Not sure about the F30.
It most likely would not have latches for middle seat installation. I'll have to try using the middle seat belt and see if I can secure the base well enough

'14 335i Alpine White on Coral Red | H&R Sport Springs | H&R Spacers | M Perf Grills | Painted M Perf Spoiler | Painted Reflectors | 3M ColorStable 35% Tint
M-SP0RT is offline   United_States
      11-28-2013, 11:06 PM   #9
SamS
Brigadier General

Drives: 2013 ActiveHybrid 3

No middle seat LATCH on the F30. And if you're using the actual LATCH locations for two seats, there is no way you're fitting a third seat in the middle/between them
      11-28-2013, 11:07 PM   #10
citrixscu
First Lieutenant

Drives: '14 335i EB II

Got a 2 mo old and I'm using a Graco Snugride Classic Connect Infant Seat on the right rear with LATCH. One base in my F30 and the other in my wife's car, so we just click in the seat in whichever car is used. Works great.
citrixscu is offline   United_States
      11-28-2013, 11:11 PM   #11
citrixscu
First Lieutenant

Drives: '14 335i EB II

Quote:
Originally Posted by M-SP0RT View Post
It most likely would not have latches for middle seat installation. I'll have to try using the middle seat belt and see if I can secure the base well enough
No LATCH for the middle seat in the F30. The seat belt in the middle works fine for securing the seat, but it's a pain to get the seat in-and-out as you'll most likely have to physically get into the car to remove it.
citrixscu is offline   United_States
      11-29-2013, 03:36 AM   #12
ThaiBruin
Private First Class

Drives: 328i 6MT

I have a Britax B-Safe for my F30. Fits perfectly in the middle seat and I'm still able to drop the passenger side of the rear seat to fit in longer items.
      11-29-2013, 06:49 AM   #13
tunjik

Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sedan Luxury Pac

Some other people stated that the Chicco KeyFit 30 is a good fit for the F30. We are going that route for our newborn due in Feb.
      11-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #14
Arktctr
Private First Class

Drives: 2014 328d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunjik View Post
Some other people stated that the Chicco KeyFit 30 is a good fit for the F30. We are going that route for our newborn due in Feb.
This is what we used and it fit perfectly fine... The fun begins when you have to start using a rear facing convertible seat. These area massive compared to the infant seat. We are using a recaro performance ride and it easily fits but requires the front seat to move forward an inch or two more than I would like. My wife's car is the primary so this setup is perfectly acceptable for our situation .
      11-29-2013, 05:31 PM   #15
T_garp

Drives: BMW 335xi EBII

Anybody using the Diono Radian RXT Cobalt?

I think the colour would go well with my EBII 335 M-Sport.

11-29-2013, 07:40 PM   #16
imyopusha
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 335i & 2010 MB GL450

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamS View Post
No middle seat LATCH on the F30. And if you're using the actual LATCH locations for two seats, there is no way you're fitting a third seat in the middle/between them
You can actually shift the car seats outboard while they are latched, making room in the center. It is much simpler, though, using the seatbelts. There is a ton of room. The F30 is such a well-rounded car.
      11-30-2013, 10:35 AM   #17
kaashia
Private

Drives: 2014 435i MSport

If this is your first child, then I would just get a Chicco keyfit infant carrier and then just get the Chicco keyfit caddy. This is just a frame that the carrier snaps into. Its super small and weighs almost nothing. I wouldn't bother buying a bulky stroller until your child is actually large enough to benefit from it. Stroller tech changes so often that there will probably be something better when your child is ready to leave the infant carrier. Also, if you end up having a second child, then you can plan ahead by getting a double stroller.

As for the infant carrier inside the car, the keyfit probably has the smallest profile out of all the infant carriers I've seen/used.
      12-06-2013, 01:42 AM   #18
Katherine16
Registered

Drives: BMW

You could go for Chicco keyfit.. it has got a tall shell but is pretty small depth wise and I have known people who have used this in their F30.. it is a little heavier than other seats (weighs 20 lbs!) .. but tt installs like a dream and fits small babies very well.

If you are considering Britax B-safe.. you might like to have a look at this comparison between these two seats:
http://www.carseatvs.com/Britax-B_SA...icco-KeyFit-30

They both are built very differently.. bsafe has more depth and less height and is lighter than nextfit.... the height limit is higher in bsafe and weight range is the same.
Britax has features like side impact cushion technology and one click connect that keyfit lacks.. while keyfit has two RideRight bubble levels indicate feature and spring assisted leveling foot..

I think both these seats will work well in your car.. ultimately it will bottle down to how much you want to spend and what are the features that you would like to see in your car seat.

I have a few more search results for based on size.. thanks to this car seat finder

You might even want to check out the official sites of these seats.. so here are the links:
http://www.chiccousa.com/gear/car-se...0-equinox.aspx
http://www.britaxusa.com/car-seats/b-safe
      12-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #19
n55x3
Captain

Drives: n55 BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktctr View Post
This is what we used and it fit perfectly fine... The fun begins when you have to start using a rear facing convertible seat. These area massive compared to the infant seat. We are using a recaro performance ride and it easily fits but requires the front seat to move forward an inch or two more than I would like. My wife's car is the primary so this setup is perfectly acceptable for our situation .
We are in the same boat. Still using the Chicco KeyFit 30 in the CENTER position. It works just fine and there is no impact on either front seats. They can be moved back as far as possible. Plus center location (using LATCH system) is much safer than side locations. We also have had passangers in the rear seat with the baby in the center.

We did buy a rear facing seat and like said above, is huge. Trying to keep our boy in the chicco for a couple more months then we may just jump to forward facing.
      12-07-2013, 11:18 PM   #20
StevenBTO
Private

Drives: 2012 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_garp View Post

Yes, and when it's rear facing, it doesn't fit without the front seats needing to be very far forward. I'm 6' and couldn't drive with it behind my seat. Passengers in my front seat are always cramped now.
StevenBTO is offline   Canada
      12-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #21
DeltaFX1942
Private

Drives: AW BMW 328i Sport Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_garp View Post

I have the same seat in my wife's RX350 and had this angle adjuster and it worked great. Front passenger got more leg room.

http://www.amazon.com/Diono-60320-Ra...pr_product_top
DeltaFX1942 is offline   United_States
      12-08-2013, 09:48 AM   #22
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000

Drives: 2014 335xi & 2013 X3 28i

Garage List
2014 BMW 335xi  [0.00]
2013 X3 28i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuyoi View Post
So my wife is pregnant 3 months now, and I'm starting to look into infant car seats. I'm leaning towards the Britax B-safe, but some reviews said it's a tough fit in small/medium sedans, so I was wondering if anyone with an F30 had/has some experience with this. Also, would the trunk fit the corresponding B-Agile stroller without having to put a seat down?
I can only speak about the e90, and my attempt at fitment in the F30 (I brought my recaro to the dealer to fit it prior to ordering) - as mine is on order.

Brittax car seats, and strollers are big. The B-Ready stroller is too large for an e90 trunk (you must remove the wheels), and when I measured it, probably too big for the F30. We got it first, and then ended up getting the B-Agile due to its much better compact storage, and ease of use. Conversely, the B-Agile folds very well flat, and fits without difficulty in the e90 and the F30. Actually, to conserve trunk space, I usually keep it behind one of the front seats with the wheels upright - fits perfectly and have a full trunk.

I too have the britax B-Safe. It is a tough fit, but it will fit. The most difficult thing is the fitment of the person in front of it, you need the back of the seat more upright and forward than one would think. The front seat shouldn't be touching the car seat, you should be able to just slide your hand between the seat and the car seat.

The F30 compared to the E90s rear seats are not as steeply sloped down, so actually for rear facing seats, I've found that they fit a bit better.

Here's where you come into trouble though - Front facing seats and the LATCH System.

In my BMW the latch components are close together as compared to other vehicles - you'd figure there would be a standard distance - there's not. This makes placement of a forward facing seat difficult, as they usually have wider bases. Also BMW does not recommend the child seat for the middle bitch seat, so make sure it is solely on the passenger or driver's side. Ideally, I'd keep it on the same side as the driver, for ease of use issues, and accident avoidance issues. With that in mind though, if it doesn't fit with the way you properly seat, I wouldn't take away from the driver's comfort or visibility to just fit the seat.

For a child seat I'm using the Recaro, and the issue there is really just the rear head rest will need to be removed for front facing. The Diono was my second pick due to them praising themselves to fit 3 wide in standard vehicles - although when I read reviews the lower wings seemed to break easily with regular use. Ultimately we will likely get the Diono for our X3, as the recaro (nor a britax boulevard) fits all too well.

Last is just a word of advice - if you already chose the britax B safe- just get it. It's a good system. Just make sure when you're installing the base that you put a knee on the base and tug big time to get it fit properly. Also after you deliver, most hospitals have a service that they will check your car seat prior to going home, so be sure to use that service. If they don't most police offices do this - there's an online website notifying you of which police stations check them, just google search it.

And by all means feel free to PM me. I should be receiving my F30 at the end of January - which gives you time and I can let you know how my Britax B-Safe fits for real, how my Recaro fits, how the Britax Boulevard fits, and if we purchased it by then, how the Diono fits.

At the end of the day, it will fit - but at the sacrifice of the front passenger seat adjustment. So as long as your wife isn't 6 foot 8, should be OK. And when I get my F30 I'd be happy to take pictures of the stroller in the trunk

Last edited by JSTDR1V; 12-08-2013 at 09:54 AM.
JSTDR1V is offline   No_Country